Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 214
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 11:47:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Clearly incorrect, as he does take off his helmet in season 1 when in need of medical treatment once the droid is like 'I'm a droid I don't count!'
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One important detail here. The not removing his helmet seems to be something specific to his sect.  AFAIK, he's the first on screen Mando where this rule applied, whether it be live action or animated.

Side note...and no clue if it's true or not...apparently the actor who plays Mando was ineligible for any awards sanctioned under the screen actors guild. Supposedly they have a rule that actors must show their face in order to receive credit on an award. The thinking is that the writers had to create at least a few scenes where Mando takes off the helmet so he is eligible for awards.

Again, this is hearsay. We have folks here that are in the business so maybe they will chime in. If true, it's entirely possible that the writers just manufactured a non sequitur to get the helmet off Mando and it wasn't truly intrinsic to the story at all.

Clearly incorrect, as he does take off his helmet in season 1 when in need of medical treatment once the droid is like 'I'm a droid I don't count!'

I'm gonna call BS on that, Andy Serkis has won all kinds of awards for his outfuckingstanding mo cap work
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 11:48:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So if grogu is one of Luke’s students, does that mean he gets massacred by Kylo ren burns down his academy?
View Quote

Maybe
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 11:49:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
They left the whole "the darksaber can only be transferred via combat" thing on the wayside didn't they? I know Din tried to yield but pretty much it got tabled once the X-Wing showed up, no?
View Quote

Maybe they can play a game of Holochess.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 11:49:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Almec was a dick. That’s kinda like the Quacta calling the Stifling slimy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 11:49:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So if grogu is one of Luke’s students, does that mean he gets massacred by Kylo ren burns down his academy?
View Quote

THOSE MOVIES DON'T EXIST.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 11:50:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anyone else think that ending sucked?
View Quote

Maybe Kathleen Kennedy
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 11:50:38 PM EDT
[#7]
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Jango_Fett

The force has multiple aspects.  Mind control, telekinesis.  I think it also has short term precognition.  The Jedi know where their light saber needs to be before the blaster is fired.  Without this, going to be a lot harder to block blaster bolts - abet I guess if you are extremely good at reading people you could try, but you would eventually get caught with feints.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 11:58:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I always thought the Sith rule of "there are only ever 2, 1 master and 1 apprentice" didn't make sense galaxy-wide.  It makes sense for each Sith Master to be his own person, no desire to for coalitions with his own apprentices-raised-to-master, or other Sith Masters he may bump into because Sith just aren't going to play nice together.  But it's ridiculous that the Sith lineage doesn't get snuffed out if it's always one leading to one leading to one.

I much better like a Universe where when the Apprentice goes to strike the Master down, he doesn't quite succeed and the old master knowing he is outmatched flees.  The Apprentice take the title of Master and his own apprentice, but the old Master is still out there, taking on an apprentice as well - maybe hating the old apprentace maybe putting it behind him.   Same way sometimes an Apprentice is going to try and kill the Master, fail and flee - but still take up the title Master because obviously in his own eyes he's worthy.

And I think Maul being around still bears this out.  The assumption originally was once he gets cut in half he's fully dead, making way for Anakin to become the new apprentice.  But having Maul live and continue to be a player on the stage really cements that there could be other Sith lineages out there too.
View Quote
I've always taken that to mean there are always two, a master and apprentice and not just one acting alone. That was the context of the discussion, and even at that point in time there were at least two pair, Sidious and Maul, Dooku and Ventriss.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 12:01:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Almec was a dick. That’s kinda like the Quacta calling the Stifling slimy.
View Quote

And he died like the bitch he was by the hands of Maul and Gar Saxon.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 12:04:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Who else canceled Disney after the last episode?
View Quote

I did that for season one. This season a buddy let me sign in on his account to watch. This is the only thing I want D+ for. Buddy gets free through something else.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 12:12:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

They really need to swap out Mando, he sucks and he looked really porky.  Much fatter than Gerard Butler!
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 12:14:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've always taken that to mean there are always two, a master and apprentice and not just one acting alone. That was the context of the discussion, and even at that point in time there were at least two pair, Sidious and Maul, Dooku and Ventriss.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always thought the Sith rule of "there are only ever 2, 1 master and 1 apprentice" didn't make sense galaxy-wide.  It makes sense for each Sith Master to be his own person, no desire to for coalitions with his own apprentices-raised-to-master, or other Sith Masters he may bump into because Sith just aren't going to play nice together.  But it's ridiculous that the Sith lineage doesn't get snuffed out if it's always one leading to one leading to one.

I much better like a Universe where when the Apprentice goes to strike the Master down, he doesn't quite succeed and the old master knowing he is outmatched flees.  The Apprentice take the title of Master and his own apprentice, but the old Master is still out there, taking on an apprentice as well - maybe hating the old apprentace maybe putting it behind him.   Same way sometimes an Apprentice is going to try and kill the Master, fail and flee - but still take up the title Master because obviously in his own eyes he's worthy.

And I think Maul being around still bears this out.  The assumption originally was once he gets cut in half he's fully dead, making way for Anakin to become the new apprentice.  But having Maul live and continue to be a player on the stage really cements that there could be other Sith lineages out there too.

Asajj Ventress was out by the time Maul was in though. Sidious had ordered Dooku to kill her because he had felt she was growing too powerful. Dooku was a fallen Jedi Master who had left the order pretty much the same way Ahsoka did; he became disillusioned and felt the Jedi Council had lost their way. He was approached by Sidious and turned to the dark side where he was given the title Darth Tyranus.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 12:27:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 12:28:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 12:38:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Asajj Ventress was out by the time Maul was in though. Sidious had ordered Dooku to kill her because he had felt she was growing too powerful. Dooku was a fallen Jedi Master who had left the order pretty much the same way Ahsoka did; he became disillusioned and felt the Jedi Council had lost their way. He was approached by Sidious and turned to the dark side where he was given the title Darth Tyranus.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you saying that at no concurrent time were Maul and Ventriss both apprentices? I know what you're saying is how it plays out in clone wars but you'd have to assume there was almost no time spent actually training them for that to be true i would think.

I know where Dooku came from, does that not make him a Sith? Doesn't his taking an apprentice insinuate he became one?
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 12:52:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Are you saying that at no concurrent time were Maul and Ventriss both apprentices? I know what you're saying is how it plays out in clone wars but you'd have to assume there was almost no time spent actually training them for that to be true i would think.

I know where Dooku came from, does that not make him a Sith? Doesn't his taking an apprentice insinuate he became one?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, because he's got his timeline messed up. Dooku became apprentice to Sidious AFTER the "death" of Maul. While apprenticed, Dooku took in Ventress as his assassin/apprentice.

The rule of two isn't inviolable. Sith often ascend to Master through usurpation.  To accomplish this task, they might, in secret, take on an apprentice. Fearing Dooku was planning to do so, Sidious ordered Ventress killed. At this time, Maul still being alive was unknown to all but Mother Talzin.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 12:58:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Mando has no idea how good that lady was in combat. He's already fought Ahsoka to a draw without the spear and her having 2 sabers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except Mando has already seen Ahsoka defeat that chick with the speer

Mando has no idea how good that lady was in combat. He's already fought Ahsoka to a draw without the spear and her having 2 sabers.

100% wrong. His beskar armor fought Ahsoka to a draw for long enough to talk to her. Without that, he'd be a rapidly cooling gut pile. Just like everyone else a skilled Jedi fought. It's one of the problems with having Jedi, actually.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:02:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No, because he's got his timeline messed up. Dooku became apprentice to Sidious AFTER the "death" of Maul. While apprenticed, Dooku took in Ventress as his assassin/apprentice.

The rule of two isn't inviolable. Sith often ascend to Master through usurpation.  To accomplish this task, they might, in secret, take on an apprentice. Fearing Dooku was planning to do so, Sidious ordered Ventress killed. At this time, Maul still being alive was unknown to all but Mother Talzin.
View Quote

Yes.  Ventress was an "assassin" not an "apprentice".

It may be a distinction without a difference, but it is what it is.

Sith apprentices could apparently train other force users, but their students were distinct from “the two”.  Kind of like how Vader trained and commanded the Inquisitors.  

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:05:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So if grogu is one of Luke's students, does that mean he gets massacred by Kylo ren burns down his academy?
View Quote
No, because that whole trilogy was a bad spice dream.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:08:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You should they say it twice, granted it's not up there with such classics as " I don't like sand " and " noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biENMZ74HWs

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell, yeah.

Disney has already made their $$$ from the sequels.  I doubt there will be spinoffs and nobody's buying merchandise, because the 5 people on the planet who actually give a shit about those crappy characters have already plunked down their $49.99 for Kylo Ren Anti Pimple Face Cream.

So they can afford to let it die...

Agreed. Earlier, a poster was talking about memorable lines.

I am trying, but can't think of a single memorable phrase from the sequels. I can only think of one memorable scene, the blood on the helmet leasing up the the first reveal of Finn.

The original trilogy offers the classic, "may the force be with you," and "I am your father."

Mandalorian, as noted earlier, offers such gems as "I have spoken," and "this is the way," both already becoming catchphrases, and numerous scenes that are legendary in their one right.

You don't think that "They fly now!?" is going to go down as one of the most iconic lines in film history?
I don't recognize that line.

You should they say it twice, granted it's not up there with such classics as " I don't like sand " and " noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biENMZ74HWs

Oh, from Rise of Skywhatever.  I haven't seen it.  Which, given I've been rabid about the whole thing since I saw a bootleg of ANH in the winter of '77 when I was 3 1/2, really shows how much the first two sequels soured me on that trilogy.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:13:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Excellent season.

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:15:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Read the bane books if you want to know more about the sith.

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:17:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Sith apprentices could apparently train other force users, but their students were distinct from “the two”.  Kind of like how Vader trained and commanded the Inquisitors.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not the point I was making. He said Ventress was out before Maul was in.  That timeline's not correct.  Maul was "dead" before Ventress was scooped up by Dooku.

Dooku considered her his apprentice.  She was his assassin in the eyes of Sidious as this was necessary to maintain the ruse. Dooku even refers to her as such when he tells her she's about to die. "You have failed me for the last time. You are no longer my apprentice".
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:18:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So if grogu is one of Luke's students, does that mean he gets massacred by Kylo ren burns down his academy?

Much like they should've made a sequel to Highlander, someday they'll have to make a 7-9 Star Wars.  And I say this because, as we all know, THEY NEVER FUCKING MADE A FUCKING SEQUEL TO HIGHLANDER.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:37:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Virtue signaling aside, if this is the kind of content they're providing, I'm happy to support it.
View Quote

If people cancel. We won’t get more. I liked it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:40:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not the point I was making. He said Ventress was out before Maul was in.  That timeline's not correct.  Maul was "dead" before Ventress was scooped up by Dooku.

Dooku considered her his apprentice.  She was his assassin in the eyes of Sidious as this was necessary to maintain the ruse. Dooku even refers to her as such when he tells her she's about to die. "You have failed me for the last time. You are no longer my apprentice".
View Quote

OK.

I was just making the point that the rule of two doesn't exclude the use of other force users.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:58:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

100% wrong. His beskar armor fought Ahsoka to a draw for long enough to talk to her. Without that, he'd be a rapidly cooling gut pile. Just like everyone else a skilled Jedi fought. It's one of the problems with having Jedi, actually.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Din wasn't injured, Ahsoka wasn't injured. I'd like to hear your definition of a draw. Again, from Mando's perspective a light saber isn't all that special.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 2:08:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Was the Rule of Two canon prior to the prequels?  I’ve always had the sense that was a throw away line to keep suspense after Maul had been killed.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 2:13:16 AM EDT
[#29]
So for 2021 we will get 12 episodes of Star Wars, probably a 4 episode mini-series Book of Boba Fett and a regular 8 episode series of Mando.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 2:26:48 AM EDT
[#30]
If Grogu ends up being killed in cannon by Kylo, we burn everything.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 2:49:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Din wasn't injured, Ahsoka wasn't injured. I'd like to hear your definition of a draw. Again, from Mando's perspective a light saber isn't all that special.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, I guess it comes down to this.

Would he have gotten to speak without his armor?
With his armor, how much longer do you think he'd have lasted?

Remember, Ahsoka has run through Mandalorians like shit though a goose before. Real ones. The Watch. The ones that trained him.

Without their armor, they're Death Troopers. Special Forces, the best of the best, highly trained warriors. Mandalorians.

Against a Jedi, they're nothing but Luke running through Dark Troopers or Pong Krell running through Clones. The only reason Din has arms left is because of his armor. Without that, he's simply another corpse at her feet.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 2:57:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, if you're Disney and you want to give up all that merchandise money.

In other words, he was not there.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 3:02:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm gonna call BS on that, Andy Serkis has won all kinds of awards for his outfuckingstanding mo cap work
View Quote

Andy Serkis has won low level awards. He hasn’t got any thing like an Emmy or golden globe.

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 3:19:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Remember, Ahsoka has run through Mandalorians like shit though a goose before. Real ones. The Watch. The ones that trained him.

Without their armor, they're Death Troopers. Special Forces, the best of the best, highly trained warriors. Mandalorians.

Against a Jedi, they're nothing but Luke running through Dark Troopers or Pong Krell running through Clones. The only reason Din has arms left is because of his armor. Without that, he's simply another corpse at her feet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But wasn't that whole point of Beskar, grappling hooks, backpack rockets and the like?  These were all gadgets the Mandalorians developed to even the playing field against the Jedi.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 3:28:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

But wasn't that whole point of Beskar, grappling hooks, backpack rockets and the like?  These were all gadgets the Mandalorians developed to even the playing field against the Jedi.
View Quote
That was what I thought. Like the wrist rockets, too many at one time for them to block.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 3:36:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's not trained against force users. By his own admission, Grogu's use of the force was something he couldn't explain.  She (or any other skilled Jedi) could fling him around with the flick of her wrist and he'd be powerless to stop it.  Yes those gadgets were meant for that, but without training or experience using them against Jedi, they're not going to be employed anywhere near as effective as what they were intended for.

His blocking technique for example is the same as a regular melee weapon. Some spear or stick slides off the Beskar, no big deal. Not going to do a ton of damage. That lightsaber slides off, and you're missing a limb, or worse, sliced in half.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 3:37:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The force has multiple aspects.  Mind control, telekinesis.  I think it also has short term precognition.  The Jedi know where their light saber needs to be before the blaster is fired.  Without this, going to be a lot harder to block blaster bolts - abet I guess if you are extremely good at reading people you could try, but you would eventually get caught with feints.
View Quote
Doesn't necessarily need to precognition, it could be time just slows down.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 3:49:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Virtue signaling aside, if this is the kind of content they're providing, I'm happy to support it.

I’ll keep it.   But I’m sure Disney won’t be hurting if some just canceled.    They will be getting a shit ton of new Marvel fans subscribing with WandaVision coming out in January.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 4:04:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why do you think it sucked?
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 7:34:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:

View Quote

Who has the timeline messed up? Me? I didn't didn't really go into the timeline stuff because it's complicated. I was just trying to point out that the only difference was Maul and he was supposedly dead by the time Dooku and Ventress came about and Ventress was ordered killed by Sidious. But yeah, I personally think the rule of two is stupid because it muddys everything.

Edit:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Yes, I did mess that part up. I got confused when Mail/Ventress were around. I had forgotten Maul "died" in The Phantom Menace. The whole timeline thing gets confusing with characters dying then coming back. Sorry about that.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 8:28:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One important detail here. The not removing his helmet seems to be something specific to his sect.  AFAIK, he's the first on screen Mando where this rule applied, whether it be live action or animated.

Side note...and no clue if it's true or not...apparently the actor who plays Mando was ineligible for any awards sanctioned under the screen actors guild. Supposedly they have a rule that actors must show their face in order to receive credit on an award. The thinking is that the writers had to create at least a few scenes where Mando takes off the helmet so he is eligible for awards.

Again, this is hearsay. We have folks here that are in the business so maybe they will chime in. If true, it's entirely possible that the writers just manufactured a non sequitur to get the helmet off Mando and it wasn't truly intrinsic to the story at all.

Not to mention he's not the one in the suit most of the time.  It's stuntmen.  He just does the voice.  It's covered in the special features.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 9:01:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Much like they should've made a sequel to Highlander, someday they'll have to make a 7-9 Star Wars.  And I say this because, as we all know, THEY NEVER FUCKING MADE A FUCKING SEQUEL TO HIGHLANDER.
View Quote

THIS IS THE WAY!
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 9:05:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Also, in this thread I learned that many men are strangely concerned with other men’s weight.

Take your coming out thread somewhere else, guys. This is about the Mandalorian.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Plot magic:  maybe the male mandalorian and other mandalorians allied with bo-Katan we're still on the smalll imperial sloop or skiff they stole a few episodes ago?

Not everyone is as stupid as Din regarding their ship's security when they're not around.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 10:00:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Re: Force abilities -

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 10:06:20 AM EDT
[#46]
I always find it so cartoon like and above all, fake stupidity when a Jedi has several people/droids shooting at them simultaneously and somehow ONE blade can deflect all those shots.  Physically impossible regardless of knowing the future     Reminds me of these stupid superhero franchise movies where two superheroes throw each other through mountains and nobody gets a scratch
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I always find it so cartoon like and above all, fake stupidity when a Jedi has several people/droids shooting at them simultaneously and somehow ONE blade can deflect all those shots.  Physically impossible regardless of knowing the future     Reminds me I’d these stupid superhero franchise movies where two superheroes throw each other through mountains and nobody gets a scratch
View Quote

Why do you think Jedi knights were so hard to kill? They had abilities that normies didn’t. They were the superheroes of the SW milieu.

The Jedi-based SW shows are not for you my man.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 10:08:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 10:21:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 214
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top