Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for updates. I love minibikes!

Page 2
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:05:33 PM EDT
[#2]
My Dad has the remains of red 70 in the back of one of his garages.
Spent LOTS of time on that
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I have and ride almost daily a '70 Trail 90. They are way more fun than they should be, and someone always wants to stop and talk about the bike - mostly guys in their 50s/60s that had them growing up.

Mine has been a slow restore project. A lot of parts painted, engine top end rebuild with +3.5mm overbore piston - original wrist pin was seized up and was just raking the cylinder wall to death. I have NO IDEA how it ran like that.

Carb rebuilt & jetted up, battery converted to a dual-battery AGM sealed cell setup, and converted rectifier & charging system to solid state.. The only last things remaining are a solid state flash relay and LED light conversion. I also need to repaint the plastic trim pieces, and put on the repro factory decals I bought

I may in the future go to a 54mm high compression piston, but I like that the factory low compression will burn the shittiest gas you can find and pour into the bike.. I think it's rated for like 75 octane.

The bike will go anywhere on the low gear setting (seriously, low range on a bike.. why did this feature go away?) and can get near 60 on a flat road, but the frame doesn't really like going over 50, and 60 is riding near the redline and the larger piston is a little off balance so there is some engine vibration there.

If you haven't already, check out DRATV's web store, and hondatrailcts.yuku.com forum - great into, and DR ATV has EVERYTHING you could want for this bike  - OEM parts, Chinese repro, EVERYTHING

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:20:28 PM EDT
[#4]
www.re-mx.com also for parts.

I see you blasting stuff down to bare metal, do you have your primer and paints all lined out?

Updating your blast cabinet? The industrial gun here is really good. Also they have a proper vacuum. http://www.badboyblasters.com/id109.html
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:32:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Ha, I had one as a kid.
Good luck bud.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
www.re-mx.com also for parts.
View Quote

I know the guy who started Re-Mx, real nice guy.
He stated that site because He could not find parts for His Sons MR-50
I used to be in the VJMC with Him and show bikes at the Cycle World show in D.C. each year.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:39:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Neat project.

I had one of those in '74

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Anything new?
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Bitchin'.

Here's a quick terrible pic of my current project, hasn't ran in about 5 years. Not mine, repairing it for someone to sell (wish I could keep it, I sold my TTR125).

I'm waiting for an air filter, throttle cable, and a pilot jet (couldn't save it). I would have taken pictures of the process had I known people liked minibikes here.

You guys should have seen it before, pretty bad / incomplete.

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 6:05:33 PM EDT
[#10]
A bunch of us got old trail 70's a few years back, fixed them up and modded them with bigger engines, exhaust, etc. We did it for a yearly get together at Put-in-bay, Ohio.
I have a 1970 CT70H and a 1971 CT70

Here is a vid of us cruising the island:

Bunch of wheelie action in this one:

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 6:37:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hit me up if you need some parts, I have a few....

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg131/1largebob/002_zpsc9f5f6e6.jpg

View Quote

Aren't you the guy who posted a pic of a metal building full of Mini Trails?
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I grew up beating the shit out of one of those. That brings back some memories.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I used to have a '74 CT70, copper colored. Nothing would kill it, it kept running no matter how much abuse it took. I looked one day and the neighbor girl had filled the crankcase full of oil. I mean if you leaned it sideways even a little, oil would run out of the dipstick hole. Yep it still ran. People riding it around in third gear all day, starting and stopping in third. NOTHING would phase that bike.

My neighbor "Spooker" had a Trail 50. He used to outrun the cops by cutting through people's yards. He was quite good at it until they found out who he was and where he lived..........
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I used to have a '74 CT70, copper colored. Nothing would kill it, it kept running no matter how much abuse it took. I looked one day and the neighbor girl had filled the crankcase full of oil. I mean if you leaned it sideways even a little, oil would run out of the dipstick hole. Yep it still ran. People riding it around in third gear all day, starting and stopping in third. NOTHING would phase that bike.

My neighbor "Spooker" had a Trail 50. He used to outrun the cops by cutting through people's yards. He was quite good at it until they found out who he was and where he lived..........
View Quote

They did seem bulletproof. One summer, the black one in the pic below ran on nothing but 15% nitro that I had leftover from about 5 years earlier. It smelled great.

Also, the dude in the black shirt was easily the coolest dude I ever met.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top