BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 3:55:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Although I’ve been a 3some guy for decades, I don’t recall anyone in the 80s talking about lesbian crushes or anything except Boy George and Depeche Mode being gay. I’m only on episode 1
View Quote

Wife and I had this same conversation.  It wasn’t open or talked about.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 3:58:23 AM EDT
[#2]
It’s good. I like it.

Big 1980s vibes

Love it
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 4:02:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Silence of the Lambs was 90s.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe it's just me but I'm getting so many references to 80's films this season. Nightmare On Elm Street, Carrie, Silence Of The Lambs...

Silence of the Lambs was 90s.

Well…yes and no.  Manhunter was 1986.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 4:04:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Tried to watch episode one tonight and made it like 20 minutes and got bored.
Will try to finish it tomorrow but its not off to a good start.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 4:11:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It’s good. I like it.

Big 1980s vibes

Love it
View Quote

They’ve done a really good job with the sets.  Lots of stupid little memories—the tube socks, velour shorts with piping, soda cans, etc.

I did notice that while in the arcade, the games were era-correct and had lit marquees…but none of them looked functional.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 4:56:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They’ve done a really good job with the sets.  Lots of stupid little memories—the tube socks, velour shorts with piping, soda cans, etc.

I did notice that while in the arcade, the games were era-correct and had lit marquees…but none of them looked functional.
View Quote

In Season 1 Mike has some sheets that have cross-striping with some squares being divided diagonally into two colors, with the rest white.  While I wasn't around back in the time the show takes place, I do still have that exact set of sheets still, which I've had since before I was in kindergarten.

I've noticed a lot of little things like that which were around in my childhood, even though I was a 90s kid.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 5:41:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm enjoying this season a lot
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/31/2022 6:20:49 AM EDT
[#8]
There are many valid points in this thread, but I'm enjoying the show. This season took a bit longer to take direction, and the age of the cast did throw me off a bit. No way around that on a long-running show.

But the writing and production quality of the show are excellent, and the good far outweighs the bad, imo.

I'm digging the numerous subtle references to other films as well.

Stick with it past the first two episodes and it definitely picks up.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 9:59:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Wife and I had this same conversation.  It wasn’t open or talked about.
View Quote

As has been said, it was a confidential conversation with her best friend. It’s not open. It’s pretty realistic.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:02:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If you were openly gay in the 80's, in a small town, yes, it would not have ended well, at all.

I graduated in '87, pretty much in Va. Beach.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Woke woke woke", you guys are a broken fucking record.  Did you really not go to school with any minorities, or gay kids?  

I can remember having an almost identical conversation as Steve's in ep.1 with one of my female friends about a girl she had a crush on.. and that was in 1988 or 89.  Life happens.

If you were openly gay in the 80's, in a small town, yes, it would not have ended well, at all.

I graduated in '87, pretty much in Va. Beach.

She's not openly gay.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:03:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It really is both sad and hilarious at the same time.

The arm wrestling scene in 'Predator' probably seems 'Woke' to some of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Woke woke woke", you guys are a broken fucking record.  Did you really not go to school with any minorities, or gay kids?  

I can remember having an almost identical conversation as Steve's in ep.1 with one of my female friends about a girl she had a crush on.. and that was in 1988 or 89.  Life happens.

No shit. Any movie that isn't "Triumph of the Will" is "woke" to some people here.

Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:07:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Tried watching first episode of season 4.
What a piece of SHIT.
First season was pretty good but it went down after that.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:15:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I turned it off episode 2. I kept waiting for some fucking science fiction and cool stuff that made the first two seasons good. But instead they were working down the progressive woke list of bullying, interracial relationships and homosexuality.

It was only a snooze fest of teen age fake drama created by themselves for being fucking weirdos, freaks and sexual deviants which was not mainstream in the timeframe when the movie took place.  

The pretend victim Olympics of woke communist propaganda at its finest.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#14]
My wife and I watched the first 4 episodes those weekend. I really enjoy the 80’s nostalgia.  

Does it feel like they are working up to Will being gay?
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:20:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I love hearing (and pointing it out to my 17 year old daughter) music from the 80’s that I’ve forgotten about.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:21:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Season 1 was great, Season 2 was good, Season 3 kinda sucked, not even going to bother with Season 4.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:21:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I turned it off episode 2. I kept waiting for some fucking science fiction and cool stuff that made the first two seasons good. But instead they were working down the progressive woke list of bullying, interracial relationships and homosexuality.

It was only a snooze fest of teen age fake drama created by themselves for being fucking weirdos, freaks and sexual deviants which was not mainstream in the timeframe when the movie took place.  

View Quote

Tell me you don’t get laid without telling me.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Season 1 was great, Season 2 was good, Season 3 kinda sucked, not even going to bother with Season 4.
View Quote

Well, you're going to miss out on the best season.  Shame.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:28:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No shit. Any movie that isn't "Triumph of the Will" is "woke" to some people here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that’s about as fair and accurate as suggesting that you two progressives see the arm wrestling scene in Predator as evidence of systemic racism and white privilege because the white character beats and dominates the black character.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Tell me you don’t get laid without telling me.
View Quote

I get laid almost daily. But what does that have to do with shitty TV programing?
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:34:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Netflix can't help themselves promoting homosexuality. It doesn't really fit the scenario here. I'm surprised they didn't turn Eleven gay.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:38:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I get laid almost daily. But what does that have to do with shitty TV programing?
View Quote

It’s success lends credence to it not being “shitty programming”

You just sound like someone who wants to hate everything lol. Real fun at parties I’m sure.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.
End of the day Hwood writers dont sit down and try and tell a story anymore....they sit down and plan on conveying a woke message.
The hard part for them is figuring out a story to fit around it.
When we entertain our families with woke sunday school lessons we can't be shocked when they grow up woke believers.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:51:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yeah, that’s about as fair and accurate as suggesting that you two progressives see the arm wrestling scene in Predator as evidence of systemic racism and white privilege because the white character beats and dominates the black character.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah yes, the old "I don't personally think that, therefore I believe I can speak for literally everyone on this board!" I guess that's the same high level brain function that causes you to level me a "progressive."
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Ah yes, the old "I don't personally think that, therefore I believe I can speak for literally everyone on this board!" I guess that's the same high level brain function that causes you to level me a "progressive."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like you are agreeing that it was about as fair and accurate as your own high level thinking that led you to strongly imply that anyone who notes the increasingly woke content must be a Nazi.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 11:00:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It’s success lends credence to it not being “shitty programming”

You just sound like someone who wants to hate everything lol. Real fun at parties I’m sure.
View Quote

Look man. I can see you are trying to goad me into a fight about this. But it's not going to work.

The bottom line is I just don't enjoy that type of show. I think its shitty and it does nothing to add to the story. It's put in there for a purpose. They want you to believe it's "normal" and it has apparently worked its magic because you and some others think it makes a fantastic story. It's cool if you are enjoying the show. Rock on bro.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 11:05:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This.
End of the day Hwood writers dont sit down and try and tell a story anymore....they sit down and plan on conveying a woke message.
When we entertain our families with woke sunday school lessons we can't be shocked when they grow up woke believers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

The lesbian character (and the lesbian characters in seemingly everything these days) appears to me to be shoe-horned in the way 1980s movies used to shoe-horn in gratuitous boob scenes. It's a block check.

While my personal preference is definitely for the latter, I don't see how anyone can watch "Stranger Things" and see it as Lesbian agenda item packaged in 1980s nostalgia. That requires a special level of actively looking to be offended.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Hell, the secretive lesbian feelings make me long for a simpler time when the gays kept that shit to themselves and weren't parading it around for attention.

I still remember the first time I saw two teenage boys walking through the mall holding hands and it was a total what the fuck moment.  Now, the progressives have pushed teenagers to act gay/trans/bi/whatever even if they're not just so they can be "special".
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 11:25:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My wife and I watched the first 4 episodes those weekend. I really enjoy the 80’s nostalgia.  

View Quote

It seems to me they have been establishing that. In season 3 all of the guys are paired up with girlfriends and Will is sad they won't play D&D together anymore. Mike says something along the lines of  "It's not my fault you don't like girls!"

That can be taken as he's a late bloomer on the dating scene, but Will is jealous of all the time Mike is spending with El, possibly since he's got a thing for him.

I'm in it for the story, 80s nostalgia and SciFi (although this one seems even more Cronenberg body horror than usual with the way the lich is killing everyone) but I think that's a side angle they are working.

Link Posted: 5/31/2022 11:33:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Kind of, many people here called that in season two.    Myself not included
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The lesbian character (and the lesbian characters in seemingly everything these days) appears to me to be shoe-horned in the way 1980s movies used to shoe-horn in gratuitous boob scenes. It's a block check.

While my personal preference is definitely for the latter, I don't see how anyone can watch "Stranger Things" and see it as Lesbian agenda item packaged in 1980s nostalgia. That requires a special level of actively looking to be offended.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Well you’re not wrong about the 80s movies and gratuitous boob shots. I was just watching some movie from that era and realized just how blatantly ill fitting some of them were. I am reminded of an interview with Arnold Schwarzenegger about Predator where he discussing how a writer wanted to have a love/sex scene with him and the woman. Arnold was like “WTF? Here we are running for our lives from some terrifying unknown creature in the middle of a jungle and you want us to stop and have sex?” Lol

As far as Stranger Things, I don’t think it’s as much The Lesbian Message wrapped up in 80s nostalgia as it is a great show that really tapped into 80s nostalgia and then after the hook was set added some modern agenda content, even if minor but noticeable, that doesn’t reflect the reality of those times. Just because someone notices it doesn’t mean that they are actively looking for it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 11:35:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Look man. I can see you are trying to goad me into a fight about this. But it's not going to work.

The bottom line is I just don't enjoy that type of show. I think its shitty and it does nothing to add to the story. It's put in there for a purpose. They want you to believe it's "normal" and it has apparently worked its magic because you and some others think it makes a fantastic story. It's cool if you are enjoying the show. Rock on bro.  
View Quote

Not looking for a fight lol. Just saying it how it is.

Keep being offended bro.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Hell, the secretive lesbian feelings make me long for a simpler time when the gays kept that shit to themselves and weren't parading it around for attention.

I still remember the first time I saw two teenage boys walking through the mall holding hands and it was a total what the fuck moment.  Now, the progressives have pushed teenagers to act gay/trans/bi/whatever even if they're not just so they can be "special".
View Quote

That's an interesting point. For younger people watching the show, it's possibly even confusing to them why she is so closeted about the whole thing. I think it accurately reflects how things would have been back then, even if wholly unnecessary to the plot. It functions just fine as one of many character sub-plots unfolding, though. It also served as a good twist to prevent the cliche love triangle nonsense that is more tiresome than even lesbian agenda pushing. Meh.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 11:51:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Some of you people are fucking insufferable.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That's an interesting point. For younger people watching the show, it's possibly even confusing to them why she is so closeted about the whole thing. I think it accurately reflects how things would have been back then, even if wholly unnecessary to the plot.It functions just fine as one of many character sub-plots unfolding, though. It also served as a good twist to prevent the cliche love triangle nonsense that is more tiresome than even lesbian agenda pushing. Meh.
View Quote

Which begs the question, what is “necessary to the plot”?

Lack of character development (aka 2 dimensional characters) is what makes shows boring.

The reason that Robin and Steve’s friendship works is because she’s not straight. That lets them be friends without needing to add yet another love triangle, which there are already PLENTY of.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I never made it through season 3.
View Quote

Same.  Started losing interest in season 2.  Lost it in 3.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 12:01:32 PM EDT
[#38]
I really enjoyed the first half of the season. It started slowly, but you can do that in the fourth season of a very successful TV series.

I don't get the woke complainers. There really isn't a lot I'm seeing. The lesbian stuff is pretty close to how I remember things like that being in the early 90s at least. Had a gay friend who would talk to a few close friends about it, but that's it. Completely believable to me the way they are handling it--including the frustration of Steve where everyone thinks they are dating and the younger kids aren't even considering the possibility the girl is gay.

I called the bad guy early on, but I really liked how they did it. The Hopper part of the story is meh for me at this point.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 12:02:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I never made it through season 3.

And yet you post in this thread.

Do you guys order your black nail polish and eyeliner in bulk or as needed?
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Finished S4E2 last night. They upped the creepy factor quite a bit, interested to see where it goes. I miss the 80s.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 12:16:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
And yet you post in this thread.

Do you guys order your black nail polish and eyeliner in bulk or as needed?
View Quote

I seem to have missed the rule stating this was a pro-Stranger Things discussion only.

I’m not offended by the show or your stance on it. We are all just bullshitting on Arfcom.

Sucks we have to draw a hard line with each other on everything.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm 2 episodes in and think it's entertaining.  Definitely set up episodes.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 12:21:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I seem to have missed the rule stating this was a pro-Stranger Things discussion only.

I'm not offended by the show or your stance on it. We are all just bullshitting on Arfcom.

View Quote
Oh please. I was quoting someone who specifically came in this thread to take a dump on something other people like and he doesn't. It's actually one of the things that makes GD often insufferable.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 12:22:26 PM EDT
[#44]
thanks for the info
not going to bother with it
more parasitic mind garbage
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

11 says he maybe likes a girl that he is hiding.  He has been working on a painting a long time.  Wants to give it to his “friend” but got scared.  Seems that way.

As of now the show is not too woke.  If they make will gay I will change my mind.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#46]
I enjoyed it.

Only thing that bugged me:

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 12:28:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

11 says he maybe likes a girl that he is hiding.  He has been working on a painting a long time.  Wants to give it to his "friend" but got scared.  Seems that way.

As of now the show is not too woke.  If they make will gay I will change my mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife and I watched the first 4 episodes those weekend. I really enjoy the 80's nostalgia.  

11 says he maybe likes a girl that he is hiding.  He has been working on a painting a long time.  Wants to give it to his "friend" but got scared.  Seems that way.

It could easily be that Will has a crush on Eleven but she's with Mike.  He can't share his feelings because it would make shit weird with 2 of his best friends.

It's 2022 though, so he'll probably be gay.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 12:29:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I enjoyed it.

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Is it really "freely" if there's a chip in his neck to stop his powers?
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 12:29:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Oh please. I was quoting someone who specifically came in this thread to take a dump on something other people like and he doesn't. It's actually one of the things that makes GD often insufferable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not offended by the show or your stance on it. We are all just bullshitting on Arfcom.

And yet you keep posting here.

Do you order your black nail polish and eyeliner in bulk or as needed?

Link Posted: 5/31/2022 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I enjoyed it.

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

They thought the implant had him neutered.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top