BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

2 points  Gods law and Mosaic laws are not necessarily the same, Gods laws is eternal, no beginning, no end. Meaning, mankind was under Gods law at the exact moment of creation
View Quote
God's original law (singular) for Man was "Don't eat that.  You can eat everything else you want, do whatever you want.  Just don't eat that."  Guess what Adam chose to do.

Also https://nypost.com/2018/11/24/turns-out-all-of-humanity-is-related-to-a-single-couple/
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:07:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

What am I missing here?
View Quote
We normally try to start out a Sunday with a bloody mary in the hot tub.  Try that.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:11:24 AM EDT
[#3]
For an engineer you seem to be ok with a seriously juvenile view of religion, which means that you're pretty much ignorant on the subject.

Why do you question but not educate yourself in the oldest human question?
I know we're different people, but asking the question here and in the way you asked it, is painful to read. It's entirely illogical, unmeasured and unreasoned and it reeks of insecurity and foolish pride.

Some people look around and wonder why and how, even less people bother to seek the reasons, and fewer still can understand what is staring back at them.

You've built your image of "God" in an imq707s box and then you wonder why anyone would believe in that. They don't. Nobody would. Right now your idea of God is your own stupidity.

The good news is that you can begin the process of walking closer any time you wish. No strings, no commitments. The hardest part may be in the realization that your wife was on to something

Or...you could just continue to do what you're doing, "don't worry scro, lots of tards leading kick-ass lives", but I don't recommend it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:18:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Everyone worships. The object of that worship varies. The OP’s object of worship is himself.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:20:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We normally try to start out a Sunday with a bloody mary in the hot tub.  Try that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What am I missing here?
Nice!  Great idea!  
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Everyone worships. The object of that worship varies. The OP’s object of worship is himself.
View Quote
He certainly seems to have a prety high opinion of himself.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Congratulations.

You’re in the same camp as those weak minded fucktards like George Washington, Alfred the Great, Richard the I, etc.

All pussies.
View Quote
Lol
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:23:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
 Some tribes just "knew" cannabilism was ok.  Human sacrifice was practiced by many societies who believed it to be right and proper. Some societies castrated boys so they wouldn't fuck their harems.  Some societies still practice female circumcision. Some folks want to fuck kids. Some folks want to fuck dogs and goats and horses. Look at our society, the current trend of normalizing transgenders is now reaching down to impact children.
 I wouldn't let society be my moral compass.  History has proven that to be foolish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd agree 100%.
Beliefs are installed on us by society, and society builds it's beliefs over time from tradition, science and religion.
They are not however "born with us". A Christain would call this "born into sin", others might call it the "natural state of man".
So the only question now is why the OP still despertly clings to the idea that his basic core beliefs come from within. That he was "born with them". If he admits that society plays a role, does he lose his "strong minded"ness? Must he admit he's as "weakminded" as other men?
 Some tribes just "knew" cannabilism was ok.  Human sacrifice was practiced by many societies who believed it to be right and proper. Some societies castrated boys so they wouldn't fuck their harems.  Some societies still practice female circumcision. Some folks want to fuck kids. Some folks want to fuck dogs and goats and horses. Look at our society, the current trend of normalizing transgenders is now reaching down to impact children.
 I wouldn't let society be my moral compass.  History has proven that to be foolish.
Then what has guided and built your beliefs or morals? Do you not follow the basic tenets of the society that you live in?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:26:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Then what has guided and built your beliefs or morals? Do you not follow the basic tenets of the society that you live in?
View Quote
Perhaps I should have said "sole moral compass."
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:33:18 AM EDT
[#10]
OP, hardly surprising that you don't like going to a Christian church given that you are not a Christian. That would be like someone going to AA who does not recognize himself to be an alcoholic.

Christians believe that all men have sinned, sin brings destruction and death in this life and the next, Jesus died for your sins, and if you believe in him you'll have eternal life. Also, out of a debt of gratitude you'll obey his teachings found in the Bible. Which among other things says Christians should not give up meeting together. That's why Christians go to church.

Sounds like you are doing it out of love for your wife, not out of obedience to and love of Christ.  Commendable but, as you have correctly identified,  ultimately meaningless insofar as understanding or getting anything out of experience. Conversely, your description of why she says that she goes, "it makes her feel better" might also explain why she only goes once a month herself.

Strong, confident, and self-reliant is great unless it's not enough, and Christians believe that it is not enough. Someday you'll be faced with something beyond your ability to handle, if you rely on yourself you will fail. But your greatest failing, the same failing all humans have, is that of living up to God's expectation of holiness and perfection. At the judgment seat after this life, if you tell God that "everything that happens to me is a result of what I do or fail to do, I am completely self-reliant," God will respond with "True story. You failed on day 1 of your life and every day since. You put your faith in yourself and you have been found wanting. Hell is your punishment. Next."

Bottom line, churches for Christians. You gotta cross that  bridge first. Otherwise, you'll be in the situation that you are in which is feeling like you are standing outside looking in on something you don't get or understand.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:48:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
2 points  Gods law and Mosaic laws are not necessarily the same, Gods laws is eternal, no beginning, no end. Meaning, mankind was under Gods law at the exact moment of creation
View Quote
so once again, you're back to "Mankind has laws of behavior because POOF!! God made them have such laws."   Yet that doesn't explain the vast differences in human behavior between the Judeo-Christian Graeco-Roman world and the rest of the world.  So explain to us the bloodthirsty savagery of, say, the Mongols or the Aztecs.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:34:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I follow common sense, basic morals. Do you need the teachings of Jesus to tell you that murder is wrong? To tell you that treating people like shit is wrong? To tell you that lieing and stealing is wrong? To tell you that banging your neighbors wife is wrong. Etc etc etc.....????

If you think most human beings don't have that sense of wrong and right instilled in them at birth.....that's a pretty shitty outlook on humanity.
View Quote
Here is your first wrong assumption.

We are NOT born with a functioning moral compass.

History is for phaggots I guess.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
so once again, you're back to "Mankind has laws of behavior because POOF!! God made them have such laws."   Yet that doesn't explain the vast differences in human behavior between the Judeo-Christian Graeco-Roman world and the rest of the world.  So explain to us the bloodthirsty savagery of, say, the Mongols or the Aztecs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.  Mankind has laws of behavior, because Man said that God(s) made them have such laws.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:53:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I follow common sense, basic morals. Do you need the teachings of Jesus to tell you that murder is wrong? To tell you that treating people like shit is wrong? To tell you that lieing and stealing is wrong? To tell you that banging your neighbors wife is wrong. Etc etc etc.....????

If you think most human beings don't have that sense of wrong and right instilled in them at birth.....that's a pretty shitty outlook on humanity.

Man is radically corrupted.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 1:02:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I know this is a sensitive topic, and I'm not trying to insult anyone....but ...

(Snip)

I guess I just can’t wrap my mind around how people can be so emotionally fragile, so weak minded, so out of touch with reality that they can’t realize that everything that happens to them is of their own doing….nothing more, nothing less.

What am I missing here?
View Quote
You sure you don't mean too?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
No.  Mankind has laws of behavior, because Man said that God(s) made them have such laws.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
so you are saying the ONLY REASON humans have any social norms of behavior, any values, or any principles is because of religion?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Modern Christianity is a feminine passive shell of what it once was, and it has always been a tool to pacify people. It’s dying. It’s why Islam is dominating Western Civilization.

People need moral teaching and something bigger than themself. I don’t know what the answer is.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
so you are saying the ONLY REASON humans have any social norms of behavior, any values, or any principles is because of religion?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What atheist based society in history existed?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 1:28:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Funny. My strength, confidence and self reliance come from god and jesus’s teachings.
View Quote
and if you were born and raised in Asia it would be from Buddha, Ghandi, Taoism, Hinduism, etc etc.  If you were born in ancient egypt, it would have been Ra.  Ancient Greece, another.  Ancient Rome, another.  Ancient Mayan region, another.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 1:30:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Maybe you should introduce yourself to him and ask him that question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is God fully in charge of this world?
Maybe you should introduce yourself to him and ask him that question.
Hi God, I'm Dave.  Are you in charge of this world?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Plato's E. Dilemma.

If morally right behavior is morally right simply because the gods say so, then it is not objective.  It is arbitrary.

If morally right behavior is commanded by the gods because it is morally right, then the gods are not sovereign, or omnipotent.  Instead, they are merely a transmitter of a moral code that exists separate and apart from the gods.

And I use "gods" instead of God because this was written by a Greek (not Jewish) long before Jesus.  By one of the early moral realists.

Its the same dilemma posed by the creationism "argument."  Far from ending the argument, it just moves the argument back one step in the process.  Meaning, who created the gods or God?  And, who created the creator of the gods or God?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 1:39:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The Bible does give very specific directions on how to deal with folks like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I cannot stand hypocrites either.

Fyi not all churches are like that.
Church is a hospital for hypocrites, not a country club for saints
I get what you mean, and you're right. However, quite a few of us have been treated like absolute dogshit by people who do the same kind of thing they treat others like shit over.

Quick story about one reason I lost all interest in organized religion- I got my GF pregnant in HS, and I went to a private Christian school. I had two options according to the principal- say I wasn't the father (that my GF was sleeping around) or get expelled. I got expelled. So at a time I could have used some "Christianness" from my so-called Christian school, I was kicked out. Whatever, not the end of the world.

Come to find out later the principal was having an affair.

Yeah, everyone falls short- you're right. But that means you should probably show some understanding towards others right? Also something something plank from your own eye...
The Bible does give very specific directions on how to deal with folks like that.
Like me? Or like the hypocrite?

Not much a 17 year old can do about it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 1:40:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What atheist based society in history existed?
View Quote
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_atheism

The 4 years of the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia.

The USSR and satellite states

North Korea

China

Cuba

Hmmmmmm.......... What do all of these have in common besides state sponsored atheism?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 1:40:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I said nothing of the sort.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This thread proves that non-believers are naturally offended by God’s Word. Of course they will say it’s a fairy tale, but they sure go out of their way to argue in threads about Christianity.
View Quote
There's a LOT of non-believers that don't fall into that category, just like there are a lot of believers that don't fall into the stereotypical category of being judgmental and holier than thou.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Being around like-minded followers of Christ tends to help people not be a jerk.
View Quote
that statement couldn't be further from the truth.  Christians are the MOST judgmental people I know.  Constant gossip and bad-mouthing.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 1:44:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Plato's E. Dilemma.

If morally right behavior is morally right simply because the gods say so, then it is not objective.  It is arbitrary.

If morally right behavior is commanded by the gods because it is morally right, then the gods are not sovereign, or omnipotent.  Instead, they are merely a transmitter of a moral code that exists separate and apart from the gods.

And I use "gods" instead of God because this was written by a Greek (not Jewish) long before Jesus.  By one of the early moral realists.

Its the same dilemma posed by the creationism "argument."  Far from ending the argument, it just moves the argument back one step in the process.  Meaning, who created the gods or God?  And, who created the creator of the gods or God?
View Quote
 Fuck Plato. Plato's view of the gods is fundamentally different than the God I worship. The God I worship created the universe from nothing.  He made it all, he owns it all, it is his to do with what he pleases.  He is sovereign and right and just in all he does.  You may not like what He has to say butits his perogative to say it.
 Where did He come from?  IDK and don't profess to.  What happened before the Big Bang?  Where did the energy for the Big Bang come from? You can't answer that either.  At this point God is as valid as Big Bang.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

North Korea

China

Cuba

Hmmmmmm.......... What do all of these have in common besides state sponsored atheism?
View Quote
 What is they murdered the fuck out people that pissed them off  on a scale that made the Nazis go "Daaaaaammmmmnnnnnnnn! Y'all good."?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yes, but he gave us Free Will.  If we do something stupid and it hurts us or someone else, it is on us, not God.  If nothing bad ever happenbed, we would not have Free Will.
View Quote
and if we don't do anything stupid, and still end up with something shitty like Parkinson's or ALS, who is that on?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
You can turn the other cheek and realize that wasn't a good role model.  There are plenty of hypocrites to go around.  I'm sorry you had such a person in your life.  It has obviously left a scar  on your soul. Unfortunately it is all to common.

In the end, we are all human and imperfect.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You can turn the other cheek and realize that wasn't a good role model.  There are plenty of hypocrites to go around.  I'm sorry you had such a person in your life.  It has obviously left a scar  on your soul. Unfortunately it is all to common.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I realized all those things, along with the fact I didn't really want anything to do with organized religion if that's how they treat people...and everyone else just watches it go down.

Now, that's not to say a "personal" religion would be a bad thing, I just can't seem to force myself to have faith in something like that.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:02:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
that statement couldn't be further from the truth.  Christians are the MOST judgmental people I know.  Constant gossip and bad-mouthing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Being around like-minded followers of Christ tends to help people not be a jerk.
That perception is not the norm in my circle, nor is it taught in the bible.

There are sinful Christians(that loosely follow christ) that wear a more righteous mask to hide their sin but that's human behavior and not a characteristic of a devout Christian that studies the word and attempts to apply it in their day to day life.

I sense some generalizing here. Individuals will make up their own minds and follow Christ in their own way. No one is forced to follow Christ.

Matthew 7:13-14

"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:07:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I realized all those things, along with the fact I didn't really want anything to do with organized religion if that's how they treat people...and everyone else just watches it go down.

Now, that's not to say a "personal" religion would be a bad thing, I just can't seem to force myself to have faith in something like that.
View Quote
Then develop a personal relationship with God. In the end that's all any believers have.  I have seen things go down in a church setting that I found repugnant.  I left a church over a black family, they started attending and it ruffled some feathers.  The hypocracy was on full display.  The Pastor wound up leaving too.  I saw one church fracture over who was to have access to the keys.

Not everyone who attends church is a true believer.  Many peodphiles seek out positions as Youth Minister so that they can have access to kids.  Some people go to be seen.  I firmly believe that if Jesus was walking the Earth today, he would be cleaning house just like did at the Temple.  In the end, we're all human with all that it entails.
 Ph 2:12  Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

Its between you and God.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:11:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Then develop a personal relationship with God.
View Quote
Like I said, that would be nice but I've done the "seeking" and yet to find anything.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Like I said, that would be nice but I've done the "seeking" and yet to find anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then develop a personal relationship with God.
  Sorry to hear that.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:21:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Fuck Plato. Plato's view of the gods is fundamentally different than the God I worship. The God I worship created the universe from nothing.  He made it all, he owns it all, it is his to do with what he pleases.  He is sovereign and right and just in all he does.  You may not like what He has to say butits his perogative to say it.
 Where did He come from?  IDK and don't profess to.  What happened before the Big Bang?  Where did the energy for the Big Bang come from? You can't answer that either.  At this point God is as valid as Big Bang.
View Quote
I merely pointed out the irony of folks using words like critical thinking or logic, but ignoring that, by their own arguments, they must reject objective morality.

If one is to accept - it is so because my god says its so - the difference between the Christian moral code and that of say the Aztecs is merely the identity of the gods/God.  It can never be objectively "superior" because the measuring stick is simply the identity of the gods/God.  It is arbitrary.  By definition.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:49:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

North Korea

China

Cuba

View Quote
The US elected a presbyterian minister president and the result was the USSR, the great depression, the Nazis, WWII, the cold war, and likely the fall of western civilization?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 3:00:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Wow.....even the religious experts on here can't agree on anything......
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

North Korea

China

Cuba

View Quote
Totalitarian regimes will suffer no ideological rivals.  There is only the state.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Bible gives very specific directions on how to deal with those in the church that have gone astray.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The Bible gives very specific directions on how to deal with those in the church that have gone astray.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So stop being coy, what's the specific directions? To tell someone to lie about what happened so the church/school doesn't look bad, then kick them out if they refuse? Or do you kick out all sinners? If one has pre-marital sex they get kicked out, but not the "leader" who has an affair? What about someone who takes the lord's name in vain or is gluttonous?

Where's the line where ostracizing an otherwise good person is required by the bible, what sins require it and what sins do not?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 3:29:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Threads like this frequently lead a few to step over the line.

The believers (of every flavor) know that their beliefs are true because they have a book.

If it is written in a book it must be true.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#43]
I've been trying to decide whether to respond to this one seriously or not.

Seems like a troll topic.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 4:59:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The believers (of every flavor) know that their beliefs are true because they have a book.

If it is written in a book it must be true.
View Quote
Not that simple for all, and you ridiculously undersell the Bible’s history.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I know this is a sensitive topic, and I'm not trying to insult anyone....but I just want to ask the question.

I guess I just can’t wrap my mind around how people can be so emotionally fragile, so weak minded, so out of touch with reality...
View Quote
Swing and miss.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've been trying to decide whether to respond to this one seriously or not.

Seems like a troll topic.
View Quote
I think you are right about that...
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 5:35:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Wow.....even the religious experts on here can't agree on anything......
View Quote
That's one of the things about any religion...interpretation is key. I know for a fact that the way I believe is completely off kilter when compared to mainstream Christians...I think faith is a very personal thing. No matter who (or what) you worship. It's something that's inside you, in your thoughts, more than where you go with who and on what days.
I wouldn't go to church if it wasn't for the fact that my mother insists - yes - mother - she's one of the head ladies in the kitchen and asked me to come and do security. I don't like the pastor or his sermons - I go for the community aspect of it. I don't recite the creed or sing along. That's all inside my thoughts.
So you don't HAVE to believe in God to go to church. At some point, you may change your mind. The fact that you are doing it out of love for your spouse, is great. That's a kind act and one that many Christians would say brings you closer to the faith...as many have mentioned, there are assholes as well that would deride you for it. Every religion has assholes...some more than others. Every church has assholes. We have strife in our church. Some of the higher ups that recently came in, saying they saw the hand of God working by flinging a chair across the room, etc...and pretending to speak in tongues. Apparently it was bad form when I bust out laughing and walked out of the room and just about everyone else followed me. Friggin morons...they are the ones that give Christians that stigma of being retards.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 6:22:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Why is it that "strong-minded" brilliant atheists can't even conceive of a world where a higher power exists?  That's the only real question, whether God exists or not.
View Quote
Why is it that all “believers” believe in a universe where humans are the center of it?  That the creator of it is a human like god who made humans in his image?   Talk about a vain belief system....
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 7:36:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 8:16:21 PM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"...I’m a very strong willed, confident, emotionally strong person...."

You're a liar. When you stop lying to yourself, you'll stop lying to others. Only then can you get to work on acquiring those traits.

Asking Jesus for help would do you good.
http://www.daviddrury.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Church-Lady.png
Please tell me how what I posted makes you think I'm holier than thou.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top