Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#1]
With contempt, disgust and disappointment.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 8:47:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's one of the things about any religion...interpretation is key. I know for a fact that the way I believe is completely off kilter when compared to mainstream Christians...I think faith is a very personal thing. No matter who (or what) you worship. It's something that's inside you, in your thoughts, more than where you go with who and on what days.
I wouldn't go to church if it wasn't for the fact that my mother insists - yes - mother - she's one of the head ladies in the kitchen and asked me to come and do security. I don't like the pastor or his sermons - I go for the community aspect of it. I don't recite the creed or sing along. That's all inside my thoughts.
So you don't HAVE to believe in God to go to church. At some point, you may change your mind. The fact that you are doing it out of love for your spouse, is great. That's a kind act and one that many Christians would say brings you closer to the faith...as many have mentioned, there are assholes as well that would deride you for it. Every religion has assholes...some more than others. Every church has assholes. We have strife in our church. Some of the higher ups that recently came in, saying they saw the hand of God working by flinging a chair across the room, etc...and pretending to speak in tongues. Apparently it was bad form when I bust out laughing and walked out of the room and just about everyone else followed me. Friggin morons...they are the ones that give Christians that stigma of being retards.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow.....even the religious experts on here can't agree on anything......
That's one of the things about any religion...interpretation is key. I know for a fact that the way I believe is completely off kilter when compared to mainstream Christians...I think faith is a very personal thing. No matter who (or what) you worship. It's something that's inside you, in your thoughts, more than where you go with who and on what days.
I wouldn't go to church if it wasn't for the fact that my mother insists - yes - mother - she's one of the head ladies in the kitchen and asked me to come and do security. I don't like the pastor or his sermons - I go for the community aspect of it. I don't recite the creed or sing along. That's all inside my thoughts.
So you don't HAVE to believe in God to go to church. At some point, you may change your mind. The fact that you are doing it out of love for your spouse, is great. That's a kind act and one that many Christians would say brings you closer to the faith...as many have mentioned, there are assholes as well that would deride you for it. Every religion has assholes...some more than others. Every church has assholes. We have strife in our church. Some of the higher ups that recently came in, saying they saw the hand of God working by flinging a chair across the room, etc...and pretending to speak in tongues. Apparently it was bad form when I bust out laughing and walked out of the room and just about everyone else followed me. Friggin morons...they are the ones that give Christians that stigma of being retards.
I have seen some of these too.
What I consider to be of a cult mentality, usually mixed with some mental and other issues on the side.

The Christian Bible simply states that not everyone who claims to be a Christian, or saved, by their
own belief systems, even saying with their mouths that Jesus is their Savior, will enter into the kingdom of God.
The reason?
Worship of other things.
Sometimes, many other things.
But not the One true God.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

With contempt, disgust and disappointment.
View Quote
Sorry to hear that.
Was some of this coming from within your own family?
Like when you were dependent on them?
That is, if you don't mind me asking?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wow.....even the religious experts on here can't agree on anything......
View Quote
Thank you for trolling. You may not realize how many people on the fence about digging in and finding out for themselves will do so because of threads like this.

In the end I think it's positive for people to go on their own journey of creation discovery because no matter where they land it's certainly better than abject ignorance.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 9:06:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A three year old girl gets leukemia. What action did they take to bring that on themselves?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know this is a sensitive topic, and I'm not trying to insult anyone....but I just want to ask the question.

My wife is not super religious, but likes to go to church once a month or so. She says it makes her feel better…I’m ok with that. Every now and then she asks me to go with her…..I don’t want to, but it’s my wife…and a marriage is a compromise.
I’m a very strong willed, confident, emotionally strong person.  Everything good or bad that happens to me is because of my own hard work, my good choices, my bad choices, or good/bad luck….that’s it.

I don’t know how people can sit for an hour and listen to some preacher get up there ramble on and on about how they need to look for a higher power to believe in when things get them down, when things don’t go right, or when they are having a rough time with life.  I can listen to it for about 5 min, and my eyes glaze over and I’m thinking about riding dirt bikes, fishing, or a multitude of other things.

I guess I just can’t wrap my mind around how people can be so emotionally fragile, so weak minded, so out of touch with reality that they can’t realize that everything that happens to them is of their own doing….nothing more, nothing less.

What am I missing here?
A three year old girl gets leukemia. What action did they take to bring that on themselves?
Are you implying God did it ??
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I know this is a sensitive topic, and I'm not trying to insult anyone....but I just want to ask the question.

My wife is not super religious, but likes to go to church once a month or so. She says it makes her feel better…I’m ok with that. Every now and then she asks me to go with her…..I don’t want to, but it’s my wife…and a marriage is a compromise.
I’m a very strong willed, confident, emotionally strong person.  Everything good or bad that happens to me is because of my own hard work, my good choices, my bad choices, or good/bad luck….that’s it.

I don’t know how people can sit for an hour and listen to some preacher get up there ramble on and on about how they need to look for a higher power to believe in when things get them down, when things don’t go right, or when they are having a rough time with life.  I can listen to it for about 5 min, and my eyes glaze over and I’m thinking about riding dirt bikes, fishing, or a multitude of other things.

I guess I just can’t wrap my mind around how people can be so emotionally fragile, so weak minded, so out of touch with reality that they can’t realize that everything that happens to them is of their own doing….nothing more, nothing less.

What am I missing here?
View Quote
OP, i feel ya.  i went to sunday school as a little kid and after that my parents just stopped taking us so i never did church.

from outside looking in, its strange and foreign.  ive built a good and honest life and hard work is my mantra.  i dont see a purpose for going to church to be preached at.

i think its great for those who want it, i dont fault them for it but its nothing i need.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:19:09 PM EDT
[#7]
And the next contestant is... evolution... come on down.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:24:24 PM EDT
[#8]
If anybody enjoys a good old fashioned shitshow on GD, religion and abortion always bring out the best.

I do enjoy.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If anybody enjoys a good old fashioned shitshow on GD, religion and abortion always bring out the best.

I do enjoy.
View Quote
Me too. Bring it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:37:10 PM EDT
[#10]
@waywaup

You care to answer my question?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:50:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Please tell me how what I posted makes you think I'm holier than thou.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"...I’m a very strong willed, confident, emotionally strong person...."

You're a liar. When you stop lying to yourself, you'll stop lying to others. Only then can you get to work on acquiring those traits.

Asking Jesus for help would do you good.
http://www.daviddrury.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Church-Lady.png
Well, if you have to ask. . . .
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 11:00:56 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife and daughter go to church. I don't believe, I wish I did but after years of Catechism and then 6 years of Benedictine education it never took. It never will.  
Sitting there would irritate me and pretending to believe would make me a hypocrite. I go for weddings and funerals, that's it.
It's all superstition as far as I'm concerned but I never turn down a prayer offered for me because it can't hurt and it is a nice gesture if nothing more.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Try Asatru.
View Quote
So cool, yet even more silly than Mohammed and Jesus.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 11:03:57 PM EDT
[#14]
How do I deal with Church? I don’t.

I went to a Catholic grade school and have only been back to Church for weddings or funerals since I left home. I can still quote scripture and I say a prayer every now and then, but I can do that anywhere.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 11:33:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Your statement shows your extreme ignorance of what Christians really believe.  You are as wrong as you can be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Your statement shows your extreme ignorance of what Christians really believe.  You are as wrong as you can be.
Quoted:

So you’re saying that god isn’t human like at all? Jesus didn’t appear to be a human?

If humans are really as minuscule in the universe as we know them to be, and there was some higher power or creator, why would he manifest himself as a human? Isn’t the whole idea of that putting humans on a pretty big pedestal?

Why wasn’t Jesus an ant or a bacteria? Or an alien? Why a human or human like god?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 11:35:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I deal with it by being an atheist and doing what is right because it's right, not because religion tells me I should.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 11:50:02 PM EDT
[#17]
My view is that people can't accept the fact that the universe is unbelievably vast and they are insignificant in the cosmos.  
They look for meaning and they, having been taught since young to look to God, believe in a devine being because it brings them a since of purpose.
I don't believe, I think people that fall back to the "God works in mysterious ways" line of thought are simple minded and honestly, dumb, but I will defend their right to have their beliefs, and to not be persecuted or attacked for them, and I don't support the athiests that would take down statues or that try to remove religious meanings from government.  
No matter your religion I think you should be able to practice it and adhere to it so long as you do not try and cause harm to others or try to limit others freedom to practice their religion peacefully.
Goat fuckers that use religion to excuse their actions should be exterminated, just like people like the Westboro baptists should be too.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 12:29:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"...I’m a very strong willed, confident, emotionally strong person...."

You're a liar. When you stop lying to yourself, you'll stop lying to others. Only then can you get to work on acquiring those traits.

Asking Jesus for help would do you good.
http://www.daviddrury.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Church-Lady.png
If you have something to say, say it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 12:57:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The Bible gives very specific directions on how to deal with those in the church that have gone astray.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like me? Or like the hypocrite?

Not much a 17 year old can do about it.
The Bible gives very specific directions on how to deal with those in the church that have gone astray.
I'm sincerely curious what the answers to my questions are without any beating around the bush.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 2:09:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

"I will write my Law upon your heart"
View Quote
Just curious, why do you have a very atheistic symbol as an avatar? It doesn`t get much more Humanist than that. LOL!
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 6:57:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I do enjoy.
View Quote
cops or government-sector pensions are always fun too.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 7:51:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just curious, why do you have a very atheistic symbol as an avatar? It doesn`t get much more Humanist than that. LOL!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"I will write my Law upon your heart"
Go to google and read up what the star man is about, just because I profess a Christian faith does not mean I love government and infringements of natural freedoms.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 8:02:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

What am I missing here?
View Quote
Same here.  I quit trying to understand beyond some people need an emotional crutch to deal with life.

Church gives some people an emotional high so they feel better going.

You are like me, it does nothing for me and in fact often makes me a touch angry how people are told in church that they are broken and failing in life but god will fix that.

I go, think about other stuff, stand up and sit down 30 times and then grab some lunch.  I honestly feel it wastes half my weekend.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 8:04:55 AM EDT
[#24]
I am surprised this thread lasted this long.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 8:08:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What am I missing here?
View Quote
Same here.  I quit trying to understand beyond some people need an emotional crutch to deal with life.

Church gives some people an emotional high so they feel better going.

You are like me, it does nothing for me and in fact often makes me a touch angry how people are told in church that they are broken and failing in life but god will fix that.

I go, think about other stuff, stand up and sit down 30 times and then grab some lunch.  I honestly feel it wastes half my weekend.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 8:23:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Believe in god if you wish to, or don’t believe if you don’t wish to. Our country allows people the freedom of choice, so enjoy the freedom.
I don’t see the need to believe in god, so I don’t.  Please no matter which side of the question of god you’re on let the other person pick their
own beliefs. Don’t attempt to influence my choice.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 8:50:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Go to google and read up what the star man is about, just because I profess a Christian faith does not mean I love government and infringements of natural freedoms.
View Quote
Ayn Rand hated religion, she thought it was just as oppressive and authoritarian as any totalitarian government, and that album makes a valid correlation between the two, not to mention the whole band are proud Atheists. There is no freedom of thought when it comes to religion, or collectivism. The individual is abhorred in both. That`s some mighty fine cognitive dissonance you`ve got going on there.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I am surprised this thread lasted this long.
View Quote
They usually devolve into sectarian poop-flinging after they chase off the non-believers.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Guess I won't be getting any answers
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 11:03:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Ayn Rand hated religion, she thought it was just as oppressive and authoritarian as any totalitarian government, and that album makes a valid correlation between the two, not to mention the whole band are proud Atheists. There is no freedom of thought when it comes to religion, or collectivism. The individual is abhorred in both. That`s some mighty fine cognitive dissonance you`ve got going on there.
View Quote
Paul murdered Christians, yet God still found a job for him, Judas betrayed the Christ, unforgivable, but, it was necessary and had to happen. While I think Ayn Rand was a self absorbed bloviator, she delivered a message of freedom,who are we to say that wasn’t planted there by God to send a message  to others?
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 11:06:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have a job, If a fellow member of your church wrongs you, approach them privately and correct them, if that doesn’t work enlist the help of trusted others, if they still persist, take it public, if that still doesn’t fix the issue they can be expelled by the church.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Paul murdered Christians, yet God still found a job for him, Judas betrayed the Christ, unforgivable, but, it was necessary and had to happen. While I think Ayn Rand was a self absorbed bloviator, she delivered a message of freedom,who are we to say that wasn’t planted there by God to send a message  to others?
View Quote
God had Ayn Rand specifically attack religion?  In order to support religion?  Huh?  Wut?

"I want to fight religion as the root of all human lying and the only excuse for suffering...I want to prove that religion breaks a character before it's formed, in childhood, by teaching a child lies before he knows what a lie is, by breaking him of the habit of thinking before he has begun to think, by making him a hypocrite before he knows any other possible attitude toward life. Religion is also the first enemy of the ability to think. That ability is not used by men to one-tenth of its possibility, yet before they learn to think they are discouraged by being ordered to take things on faith. Faith is the worst curse of mankind, as the exact antithesis and enemy of thought."  

I'd suggest instead that Ayn tends to support the position of the OP in this thread.  Although, "exact antithesis and enemy of thought" is far stronger than anything the OP indicated.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 12:15:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I struggle with Rand. Her stressing of self causes a turmoil in me.

And then there’s the post directly before mine.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 12:46:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have a job, If a fellow member of your church wrongs you, approach them privately and correct them, if that doesn’t work enlist the help of trusted others, if they still persist, take it public, if that still doesn’t fix the issue they can be expelled by the church.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, none of those applied.

They tried to get me to lie. When I wouldn't lie I was expelled even though the relationship for all intents and purposes was over.

Very Christian of them.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 1:23:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Well, none of those applied.

They tried to get me to lie. When I wouldn't lie I was expelled even though the relationship for all intents and purposes was over.

Very Christian of them.
View Quote
Again there are instructions on what to do in this situation, “shake the dust off your sandals” in other words, leave, as you did. An honest Christian will admit to his wrongs, forgiven not perfect. In the words of Paul,” Chief of sinners though I be”
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 1:37:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ayn Rand was correct about religion as it was historically practiced.  Religion historically was used to shut down independent thought, with shrieks of "don't even THINK about thinking about _____, just accept what we tell you or forfeit your immortal soul forever!!!!!!"

Hell, there are people in this thread who cannot come up with any explanation for certain things other than "God said it, I believe it, that settles it, and I don't want facts or discussion or opposing thoughts to interfere with my beliefs!!!1!"
Page / 11
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top