User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 17
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 11:56:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://www.scribd.com/document/449771442/3-2-2020-Supreme-Court-Orders

read the "statement" towards the bottom.
View Quote
Looks promising. Somebody's paying attention.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 12:06:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Today

Thanks for the heads up, there is hope.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 12:10:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
I hope Neil Gorsuch is teeing it up so Clarence Thomas can knock it out of the park!
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Today

I got a feeling of "What the fuck are the ATF and the lower court doing??" out of that. I also think that "arbitrary and capricious" is set up like a sniper overwatch.

Thanks NOLO.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 12:19:55 PM EDT
[#5]
There is still hope but GOD DAMN it would be nice if we could get Ginsburg out of there.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gorsuch just told the lower appellate courts "this is how you decide this, don't screw it up."

Hopefully they'll get the message.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 12:33:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Gorsuch just told the lower appellate courts "this is how you decide this, don't screw it up."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe I’m wrong, but I read that as saying in cases of constitutional rights the whole “Interpretation” of statute thing can only go so far.

So, am I wrong?
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 12:46:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why is a case like this even debatable?

View Quote
Literally? Because there are other people in the world.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 1:17:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Chevron is a dead precedence walking. We have a majority of justices now with a justice boner to smack it with.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Today

Interesting!  They want to hear other courts review.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Fuck yeah! Get that man a puppers.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#13]
The 2A is in the bill of rights, the rights listed are both individual and collective rights, but they are all individual rights. What the hell is so hard.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 5:42:01 PM EDT
[#14]
So even if the Bumpstock ban gets overturned,what is going to happen?

The company is already out of business,the vast majority of them have been destroyed,and how many states have banned them as well.

Guess you could 3D print your own,because I don't see a company starting to make them again.....
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 11:51:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The company is already out of business,the vast majority of them have been destroyed,and how many states have banned them as well.

Guess you could 3D print your own,because I don't see a company starting to make them again.....
View Quote
LOL yeah the majority were destroyed or thrown away.  Most had tragic boating accidents.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 1:51:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yet somehow a right to privacy, implying a right to an abortion at certain gestational periods, somehow is interpreted out of this:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't understand the mystery of "keep and bear arms".

I know what that article is saying but they try to get too specific because that phrase means BOTH to keep and bear arms for (1) personal, individual purposes and (2) for militia purposes.

Plus, the reason for BOTH purposes is simply to guard against tyranny, lawlessness and foreign invasion.

The fact that people have chosen to disregard that plain meaning is because they have political and ideological motives that run contrary to it.
Yet somehow a right to privacy, implying a right to an abortion at certain gestational periods, somehow is interpreted out of this:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

It's the penumbras man, all about the penumbras
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 6:58:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

About the same % as if there would be a mandatory turn in.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Supreme court building closed to public until further notice.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Supreme Court to postpone March arguments
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:49:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
that's fine, they should have all kinds of time to push cuomo's shit in.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Case decisions are not final until released. I hope Thomas is careful
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 12:29:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is why all SCOTUS cases should be televised - then they could continue normal business & there is no need to allow the general public into the gallery.

Congress should actually pass a law mandating that all federal court proceedings will be televised.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This is why all SCOTUS cases should be televised - then they could continue normal business & there is no need to allow the general public into the gallery.

Congress should actually pass a law mandating that all federal court proceedings will be televised.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Court has refused television cameras as advocates would then sell their case to popular opinion rather than stick to judicial principles. The 9th Circuit videos their hearings and look what bullshit they get. The SC audio records arguments and releases the recordings on Fridays (so soundbites can't be used in that evening's news cycle), while transcripts are available within 8 hours of the arguement.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 8:34:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The Court has refused television cameras as advocates would then sell their case to popular opinion rather than stick to judicial principles. The 9th Circuit videos their hearings and look what bullshit they get. The SC audio records arguments and releases the recordings on Fridays (so soundbites can't be used in that evening's news cycle), while transcripts are available within 8 hours of the arguement.

Kharn
View Quote
More likely it is because they don't want the general public to see in real time who is not paying attention, & how the crypt-keeper is asleep on the bench for the entire day.
Plus it is not widely distributed because almost nobody listens to the audio (& even less read the transcripts), whereas if it was televised live there would be millions of people watching & even more DVRing it for later.

The 9th Circus is the way it is because of liberal activist judges - The Turtle finally ended the (blue slip) process of getting approval from the senators in that state prior to bringing a nominee to the floor.
Up until now the only judges on the left coast that could get a floor vote were liberal activists - the 9th circus is finally being changed.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:58:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

More likely it is because they don't want the general public to see in real time who is not paying attention, & how the crypt-keeper is asleep on the bench for the entire day.
Plus it is not widely distributed because almost nobody listens to the audio (& even less read the transcripts), whereas if it was televised live there would be millions of people watching & even more DVRing it for later.

The 9th Circus is the way it is because of liberal activist judges - The Turtle finally ended the (blue slip) process of getting approval from the senators in that state prior to bringing a nominee to the floor.
Up until now the only judges on the left coast that could get a floor vote were liberal activists - the 9th circus is finally being changed.
View Quote
the arguments for the nysrpa case were the first ones I've listened to...read many transcripts and opinions in my school days but that was the first audio I've heard.  I thought it was pretty neat.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 11:06:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I attended NYSRPA in person, and watching Ginsburg leave the bench at the end was hilarious. Everyone stood there for a good 15-20 seconds and just watched her slowly turn around and walk out the back. It took what seemed like FOREVER. I don't think they'd want that televised.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 11:12:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I attended NYSRPA in person, and watching Ginsburg leave the bench at the end was hilarious. Everyone stood there for a good 15-20 seconds and just watched her slowly turn around and walk out the back. It took what seemed like FOREVER. I don't think they'd want that televised.
View Quote
she was obviously not well, she made some comments during the arguments that were almost not anti-gun.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 11:16:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
she was obviously not well, she made some comments during the arguments that were almost not anti-gun.
View Quote
Yeah, like if it got to the merits, she'd almost have to vote in favor of the petitioners. But we know that won't happen.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 9:01:01 PM EDT
[#29]
So there's a recent order for a preliminary injunction on the 3D printed gun files case, which starts to dabble in the same rulemaking stuff that impacts the bumpstock case. Any of you lawyers check this out yet, and/or have a read on what impact it may have on the bumpstock case?

https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/3DGuns-PInj.pdf

Feel free to tell me to go away if this is too far afield from the NYSPRA case and I'll go play in a corner somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 12:56:31 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a bad feeling ChinaVirus is going to fuck us on this
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 10:32:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah.. really hope Ginsburg doesnt get it,she's so old and frail.. dont think she'd survive..
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yeah.. really hope Ginsburg doesnt get it,she's so old and frail.. dont think she'd survive..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That bitch will survive Armageddon. The only thing that will be left is her and cockroaches.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 12:32:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thomas is no spring chicken either
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have little faith that the black robes will defend the constitution.
View Quote
Get real.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 12:48:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They could, but the court has already voted to take the case.
View Quote
I believe this means they want to make a statement. If they didn't, they wouldn't have voted to review the case.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's the norm for her. She usually sounds very reasonable in oral arguments. The actual opinions are a whole different matter.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That bitch will survive Armageddon. The only thing that will be left is her and cockroaches.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
She IS the roaches, like the Boogeyman in Nightmare Before Christmas, or Edgar in Men in Black
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Get real.
View Quote
You think otherwise?  Forget the 5-4 votes on Heller and McDonald?  That we were one vote away from a decision that the right to keep and bear arms was a collective right, not a personal one?

Get real.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 1:46:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You think otherwise?  Forget the 5-4 votes on Heller and McDonald?  That we were one vote away from a decision that the right to keep and bear arms was a collective right, not a personal one?

Get real.
View Quote
Dude, we won and you still think we are doomed and all is lost. Being a Doom and Gloom Nancy does not make it so. You are no prophet.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 1:49:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Dude, we won and you still think we are doomed and all is lost. Being a Doom and Gloom Nancy does not make it so. You are no prophet.
View Quote
No one said they were a prophet.  Calling out the fact that four of the nine seated Justices believe that the right to keep and bear arms does not apply to me or you is not "Doom and Gloom".

Me pointing out that your comment was at best naive and worst moronic does not mean I think we're doomed.

Anything else you want to grossly extrapolate out of the one sentence I made?
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or Breyer.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 12:59:50 PM EDT
[#42]
All justices are healthy, orders coming Monday morning.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 2:05:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Maybe I’m wrong, but I read that as saying in cases of constitutional rights the whole “Interpretation” of statute thing can only go so far.

So, am I wrong?
View Quote

You’re not wrong. He’s saying Chevron deference does not apply to interpreting a criminal statute. He may also be saying that a criminal statute can be unconstitutionally vague if an agency can reasonably interpret it to both permit and outlaw the same conduct.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 9:44:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Maybe some decisions today
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
How? The clerks still working?  Publishing opinions from home?
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The building is open for employees, the clerk's office is also excellent at posting to their website within moments of events in the courtroom.

ETA: the press are being received inside the building, but they might not get into the actual press room itself.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 9:55:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The justices “met” Friday and said orders and decisions this morning.

ETA No new cases taken up today.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 11:56:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you for keeping this thread updated.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 12:06:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The building is open for employees, the clerk's office is also excellent at posting to their website within moments of events in the courtroom.

ETA: the press are being received inside the building, but they might not get into the actual press room itself.

Kharn
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/25/2020 7:51:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Any updates?
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top