Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/20/2012 10:54:35 PM EDT

It's been there for a long time but it didn't itch until now.

I had my wife take a pic... Looks scary.

Any opinions? I'm going to schedule an appointment ASAP.

Eta : size

Update : they chopped 2 moles off at the dermatologist. She seemed concerned. Results in a week.
Gross pics below.
Click To View Spoiler

Update : surgery scheduled for Wednesday. Caught it early, thank god. Pre melanoma, not malignant.

Update : first surgery done. Fucking hurt... Apparently I have a tolerance to local anesthetic. Felt sharp pain and it was lame.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 10:55:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks pretty weird, I'd probably get it checked out just to be safe.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 10:57:05 PM EDT
[#2]
derm- 0- tologistz

youz need one
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 11:00:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Just whack it until it goes away.

Link Posted: 10/20/2012 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Moles you need to worry about will generally have a "patchy"  and unclear border.  That doesn't look obviously bad, but I'd still get it checked for sure, especially if it just started itching.

Go to a dermatologist.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 11:02:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Dibs on guns and ammo
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 11:03:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Worth having it looked at.

Is it new?

Did it turn to that black color recently?

Try to avoid dying from something that could have been prevented.

Link Posted: 10/20/2012 11:03:41 PM EDT
[#7]
It really depends on what it tastes like.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 11:05:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Moles you need to worry about will generally have a "patchy"  and unclear border.  That doesn't look obviously bad, but I'd still get it checked for sure, especially if it just started itching.

Go to a dermatologist.

I hope it's just itching because of dry skin...

I'll have to get to a dermatologist here soon.

Unrelated : my phone seems to take pretty good pics.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 11:06:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Is it new?

I don't know.

It's on my back. Can't really see it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 11:09:36 PM EDT
[#10]
could be pre-cancerous melanoma.   It is hard to say with just one pic. I don't know what it looked like before.  

If it has changed appearance and it isn't from a bruise or a cut then you need to have it checked. My best friend's dad died from it. It can progress pretty fast. Don't wait... go right away if it has changed from what you remember. My guess is they'll look at it, take a sample, and then recommend removal regardless of it's condition.

Link Posted: 10/20/2012 11:14:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it new?

I don't know.

Go see a doc. Just in case.

You would regret it turning out to be some sort of mecha-cancer or zombie AIDS.

Link Posted: 10/20/2012 11:18:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it new?

I don't know.

Go see a doc. Just in case.

You would regret it turning out to be some sort of mecha-cancer or zombie AIDS.

I would definitely regret dying.

I hope I don't regret neglecting to get this thing checked out earlier.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 11:19:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Black is usually a bad color for crackers.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 11:21:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Hell, get the wife to burn it out with a red hot knife then douse it good with Absorbine Jr.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 11:29:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Please read this very carefully this is not a joke.  My girlfriend is a surgical technician for a Mohs doctor and says that this is very likely melanoma.  The dark center and the irregular border.   You should see a dermatologist as soon as possible.  LIke, right now.  Half an inch is very large and very dangerous.  It is cancer and if it spreads it can kill you.  You also need to tell your children and siblings to get checked because it is hereditary.  God speed.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 11:35:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Please read this very carefully this is not a joke.  My girlfriend is a surgical technician for a Mohs doctor and says that this is very likely melanoma.  The dark center and the irregular border.   You should see a dermatologist as soon as possible.  LIke, right now.  Half an inch is very large and very dangerous.  It is cancer and if it spreads it can kill you.  You also need to tell your children and siblings to get checked because it is hereditary.  God speed.

Awesome.

Link Posted: 10/20/2012 11:35:21 PM EDT
[#17]
this is a real melanoma from http://www.cosmetic-lasersurg.com/main/medical-dermatology/skin-cancer/melanoma.html

Link Posted: 10/20/2012 11:38:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think its 1/2 a cm

Link Posted: 10/20/2012 11:41:18 PM EDT
[#19]
As a melanoma survivor, I'd get that checked if I were you.  

Although, a lot of scary looking moles turn out to be nothing so I wouldn't freak out yet, but that one definitely needs to be checked out real soon.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2012 11:41:52 PM EDT
[#20]
my grandfather has had two moles that look almost exactly like yours. They are technically cancer but his aren't harmful or threatening to his health. I cannot say for sure you have the same deal going on, they just look a lot alike. If it eventually starts to look like a big black ugly scab then they are most definitely alike. Either way I would definitely have it biopsy'd or whatever...
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 11:43:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think its 1/2 a cm

About 7.5 mm.

5mm + is apparently bad.

Dammit, I don't have the money to be spending on doctors right now.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 11:48:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think its 1/2 a cm

About 7.5 mm.

5mm + is apparently bad.

Yea, just making a clarification of size.

No matter if you have the money or not get it checked ASAP

If your dead you definitely won't have the money now will you?

Link Posted: 10/20/2012 11:51:43 PM EDT
[#23]
OP it almost looks like it is under the skin instead of part of the skin like in boboluv's pic.

Hopefully it turns out to be nothing.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 11:52:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think its 1/2 a cm

About 7.5 mm.

5mm + is apparently bad.

Yea, just making a clarification of size.

No matter if you have the money or not get it checked ASAP

If your dead you definitely won't have the money now will you?

I'm just a cheap bastard. I have the money, just trying not to spend any since I have a baby on the way.

I'll get an appointment scheduled for either tomorrow or Monday, hopefully.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 12:35:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Although, a lot of scary looking moles turn out to be nothing so I wouldn't freak out yet, but that one definitely needs to be checked out real soon.  

This. If only for your peace of mind, get it checked out.

Nope. Walk-in and have it checked. Don't wait on stuff like this.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 12:45:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Walk in where? A random dermatologist? I don't even have a GP out here in Idaho.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 12:47:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Yep I have two very large scars on my back thanks to melanoma.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 4:43:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Walk in where? A random dermatologist? I don't even have a GP out here in Idaho.

If you go to the clinic, usually they will get you in quickly to the Derm.(like in days) Otherwise the wait for a Derm appt is very long, possibly months. (in my experience)
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 5:00:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Don't waste your money on go. He will just refer you to a derm. Try to get an appointment with one on your own.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 5:03:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go to a dermatologist.

Not to worry yo, but I had one similar and it was melanoma.  They cut it out with a thumb sized chunk of flesh, and it is all good.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 5:04:28 AM EDT
[#31]
I had a nice little run in with cancer about ten years ago. Same deal.
I let it go for about a month too long. The doctor looked at it for about a minute then saiid "This will kill you if it is not taken off... I will schedule the surgery."
An hour later I was in surgery, took another to get it all. Have a nice sized football shaped chunk of hide taken out.
Had to walk with a cane for about a month. Don't mess around with that.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 5:09:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Yep, that one looks like it fails the ABC test (area, border, color). Get yer ass to the doc - think of that mole as a 'possible' ticking time bomb - better off safe than sorry. (PS - Melanoma survivor for 27 years here )

Link Posted: 10/21/2012 5:25:49 AM EDT
[#33]
I am 60, and had never been to a dermo.  I had this wierd mole show up on my shoulder and decided to have it checked out.  Long story short, 4 spots biopsied, 2 skin cancers.  They "scraped and burned" the cancers.  All of this was painless.  Don't fuck around...just go to the dermo to get a baseline.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 5:30:44 AM EDT
[#34]
soldering iron should fix it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 5:33:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go to a dermatologist.

Dibs on his phone.

Link Posted: 10/21/2012 6:37:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
my grandfather has had two moles that look almost exactly like yours. They are technically cancer but his aren't harmful or threatening to his health. I cannot say for sure you have the same deal going on, they just look a lot alike. If it eventually starts to look like a big black ugly scab then they are most definitely alike. Either way I would definitely have it biopsy'd or whatever...

What is "technically cancer"?

Could you enlighten us?

Link Posted: 10/21/2012 6:38:57 AM EDT
[#37]
If you weren't born with that, you definitely need to show it to a dermatologist ASAP.

Link Posted: 10/21/2012 6:40:38 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go to a dermatologist.

Dibs on his phone.

Go see a doc just to make sure

I might take his wife as a 2nd, pics?

Link Posted: 10/21/2012 6:45:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is "technically cancer"?

Could you enlighten us?

Its kinda like when a girl feels "a little pregneant."
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 6:48:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 6:54:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Don't F around with that. Size and irregular border needs to be looked at by a Dr. ASAP.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 7:09:59 AM EDT
[#42]
From a website, but summarizes nicely:

Asymmetry
If one side of the spot is not the same as the other side.

Border Irregularity
When the outside border of the spot has either jagged edges or "fuzzy" or "undefined" edges.

Color
When a spot has more than one color within it, such as various shades of brown, black, blue/black and even white, gray or red.

Diameter
When measuring across the spot from the longest sides, if the spot is more than a quarter inch long.  But keep an eye on the smaller spots as well.

Evolution
The spot feels higher than it used to, it is starting to itch, or it is somehow different than before.

Better to spend the $$ on a doctor NOW than not be around for the baby later.

Link Posted: 10/21/2012 7:16:37 AM EDT
[#43]
My wife has melanoma.... Dont mess around with this.... Get checked out asap
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 7:19:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Not trying to scare you, but that is what skin cancer looks like.

Get it checked out NOW.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 7:20:56 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Just whack it until it goes away.

Link Posted: 10/21/2012 7:24:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Needs a photochop.   Here's some source material.

Link Posted: 10/21/2012 7:24:49 AM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 10/21/2012 7:25:47 AM EDT
[#48]
scary looking mole dude. get to a doctor ASAP.

Link Posted: 10/21/2012 8:31:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome.

You don't want to end up like my neighbor, found his melanoma last winter, been through several treatments, some that worked for a little while, till the past month when it spread to his spine and spinal cells, now he is in hospice at home with a straight  morphine drip, pretty much out of it, just waiting to pass, as there is nothing left to do for him.

He's 49, a great guy, who loved spending the fall hunting season with his 2 sons hunting as much as possible. Now just waiting to die. Be lucky if he makes it to thanksgiving.

Go get checked!!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 8:36:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Looks like melanoma to me, or at least the early stages of it.
I'm not a Docter....so don't take my word 100%.

The faster you can go to the doc, the better.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top