Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#1]
would an urgent care clinic be able to get things started if he went in today?
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 10:20:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Been there, found a melanoma on my neck at 19yo. Yea for incredible genetics, get it checked out asap.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#3]
My wife had melanoma removed.  That there is getting cut off with large margins. I can guarantee it.  Look forward to stripping down to to your skivvies for the next year and having them lop off anything that even looks remotely suspicious.

Link Posted: 10/21/2012 10:32:49 AM EDT
[#4]
That doesn't look particularly nice to me.

I'd see a dermatologist first thing tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Every dermatologist in town is closed today.

This is a good question.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 10:37:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Every dermatologist in town is closed today.

This is a good question.

It is Sunday.

You could probably find a large animal veterinarian.  Call one and say "I have 200 pigs to be castrated, and I need a mole to cut off my back."

Link Posted: 10/21/2012 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

my grandfather has had two moles that look almost exactly like yours. They are technically cancer but his aren't harmful or threatening to his health. I cannot say for sure you have the same deal going on, they just look a lot alike. If it eventually starts to look like a big black ugly scab then they are most definitely alike. Either way I would definitely have it biopsy'd or whatever...

What is "technically cancer"?

Could you enlighten us?

Malignancy.

Link Posted: 10/21/2012 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Go see a good MOHs derm surgeon NOW!  Do NOT wait.  Make the appointment tomorrow morning and get in to see the doc ASAP.

I have active squaemish cell carcinoma.  Every six months I get a nitrogen freeze job of a cutting to remove or kill the spots.  My doc is the finest surgeon and professor of medicine in the NoVA region (And he has some hawt nurses too!).  Based on what he told me, I would not wait in your case.  The spot you have looks enough like the online sample of melanoma to be worth a look by a derm doc.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 10/21/2012 10:56:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please read this very carefully this is not a joke.  My girlfriend is a surgical technician for a Mohs doctor and says that this is very likely melanoma.  The dark center and the irregular border.   You should see a dermatologist as soon as possible.  LIke, right now.  Half an inch is very large and very dangerous.  It is cancer and if it spreads it can kill you.  You also need to tell your children and siblings to get checked because it is hereditary.  God speed.

I think its 1/2 a cm

About 7.5 mm.

5mm + is apparently bad.

Dammit, I don't have the money to be spending on doctors right now.

You have no choice.  Sorry...just the way it is, son.

Link Posted: 10/21/2012 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't fuck with that stuff. Every year have any and all skin bumps or moles removed immediately. If that shit spreads to your lymph nodes you are done.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 11:04:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I should have waited until tomorrow to post this.

Now I want an appointment, but I can't get one.

Fucking mole.

It itches, dammit.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Go see a dermatologist.  Don't wait.  Call on Monday morning and ask for the earliest available appointment.

Odds are that if it's anything to be concerned about, you'll get it frozen and walk out of the office with a band-aid

and a clear mind, knowing you don't have to worry about THAT anymore.

Men have a bad habit of trying to shrug off anything that isn't trying to painfully kill them RIGHT THIS MOMENT.  That particular flaw in

our psychological makeup has shortened many lives.  Don't let yours be one of them.

CJ
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Looks like melanoma to me, or at least the early stages of it.
I'm not a Docter....so don't take my word 100%.

The faster you can go to the doc, the better.

What I think.  Get that shit checked ASAP.

I would call a dermatologist, explain the situation, if you get static about an appointment offer to email a picture of the "mole", if that doesn't work tell them how all the experts on a gun forum think you have skin cancer.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a bigger one cut off my back last year.  It was a little over a centimeter.  It was through my primary care.  He numbed it up and cut it out, as the punch biopsy was not big enough.

fwiw, I just lost my grandfather last month.  He had melanoma that mets.  It was less than two weeks from the time they caught it until he passed away.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 3:11:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, moles aren't supposed to itch.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Moles you need to worry about will generally have a "patchy"  and unclear border.  That doesn't look obviously bad, but I'd still get it checked for sure, especially if it just started itching.

Go to a dermatologist.

Not an expert but this
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
derm- 0- tologistz

youz need one

this
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 3:18:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please read this very carefully this is not a joke.  My girlfriend is a surgical technician for a Mohs doctor and says that this is very likely melanoma.  The dark center and the irregular border.   You should see a dermatologist as soon as possible.  LIke, right now.  Half an inch is very large and very dangerous.  It is cancer and if it spreads it can kill you.  You also need to tell your children and siblings to get checked because it is hereditary.  God speed.

I think its 1/2 a cm

About 7.5 mm.

5mm + is apparently bad.

Dammit, I don't have the money to be spending on doctors right now.

You could see a general surgeon.  Do you have a primary care doctor?  They should know a good surgeon to refer it to.  He cuts it out and sends it to pathology.  If it's melanoma then they may have to do a wider excision.  If it comes back negative then you're all clear.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Get rid of that thing right ricky-tick please
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 3:29:42 PM EDT
[#22]
get them ALL checked.

i went in (i have a hundred moles...)

he cut out four "suspicious": ones

the he scalpeled out to "get good margins"

none came back bad thanksfully.

I will go in yearly
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 3:46:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I had melanoma. It looks bad.  Get to a dermatologist right now.

Link Posted: 10/21/2012 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Hey OP, I just want to give my 2 cents on this because it is personal to me. I dont' want you to get freaked out, just want you to know how serious this shit is.

My best friend found something very similar to what you have on his back a couple of months before his 39th birthday. He went in to the doctor after dragging his feet for a little while and they found his mole to be cancerous and deep (being deep seems to kind of be the key if I remember correctly). Anyway, he died a month after his 40th birthday, after suffering for over a year. The pain, suffering, and fear that he had to go through was horrible and not something anyone should have to deal with. I was with him and his wife at their home when he died, he had gotten so thin that he made holocaust survivors look fat. He also left behind a beautiful 5 year old daughter.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Go see a dermatologist.  Don't wait.  Call on Monday morning and ask for the earliest available appointment.

Odds are that if it's anything to be concerned about, you'll get it frozen and walk out of the office with a band-aid

and a clear mind, knowing you don't have to worry about THAT anymore.

Men have a bad habit of trying to shrug off anything that isn't trying to painfully kill them RIGHT THIS MOMENT.  That particular flaw in

our psychological makeup has shortened many lives.  Don't let yours be one of them.

CJ
They aint gonna freeze anything. They're going to lop it off so they can biopsy it.

Link Posted: 10/21/2012 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks everyone.

I hope everything turns out okay. Don't really want to make my wife a single mother.

I'm going to call every dermatologist necessary and get an appointment ASAP.

Looking at pics of melanoma was a bad idea.
I know normal moles aren't typically multiple colors and they don't itch.

My mom said we have a history of skin cancer in the family.

I'll update the thread post-appointment.

To those that have dealt with surgical removal - how bad is the recovery?
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Don't go to dermatologist. I think this looks highly suspicious for melanoma.
See a surgeon, because this may require a larger procedure than just removing the mole/ melanoma.
Hopefully it will turn out benign, but take no chances with that lesion.

The initial removal / biopsy is quite simple, they will just excise around it, and the recovery is easy, with a bandaid and a few Tylenol.
The issue comes if it's malignant and how deep/stage it is. Generally you will need wider re-excision at that point, etc, so don't be surprised if they tell you you need more taken off if it comes back malignant.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#28]
i've had atleast 9 moles removed from the surface and had to back for 5 that needed a little deeper surgical removal.  It is not bad at all depending on how deep they have to go.  They will probably just do a biopsy first by removing the surface.  If it come back canserous or precancerous or abormal cells that could become precancerous they will do a simple surgery.  They will measure out a football shaped area around it and will take out a chunk.  They will send that chunk to pathology to see what it is and also to see if they got all the roots.  if not they will go in again and take a little more area out.  Suprisingly the worst part about it for me was the irritation for the bandage adhesive.  the wound is stitched together in layers and the scars arent that bad.  i have 2 on my stomach and 3 on my back that look like stab wounds, pretty cool i think.

Good luck!!  Might be nothing, atleast you are doing the right thing about it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 8:45:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Man this thread is a bummer.

OP I wish the best for you!
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 8:59:56 PM EDT
[#31]

A sudden or continuous
             change in the appearance of a mole is a sign that you should see
             your doctor. The ABCD rule can help you remember the symptoms of
             melanoma:

A
                 for Asymmetry

One half is different than the other half.
B
                 for Border Irregularity

The edges are notched, uneven, or blurred.
C
                 for Color

The color is uneven. Shades of brown, tan,

and black are present.
D
                 for Diameter

Diameter is greater than 6 millimeters.

Other Warning Signs:

• The appearance of a new bump or nodule

• Color spreads into surrounding skin

• redness or swelling beyond the mole

• pain

• tenderness

• itching

• bleeding

• oozing

• scaly appearance

Link Posted: 10/21/2012 9:10:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I feel like a moron. The mole has been there for a while, but it didn't look like that.

I did ask a doctor about it once and he suggested seeing a dermatologist about it. This was 2 years ago.

Hopefully forgetting wasn't a ginormous mistake.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 9:22:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Stay positive and follow through with seeing a doctor. As others have mentioned, if you get it checked and taken care of early enough the cure rate is very high.

Here's to it coming back negative and or you being given a clean bill of health after it is taken care of.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Good luck to you on this. I've got one that's gonna get cut out soon too, on my arm. Already had an appointment for this week.
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone.

I hope everything turns out okay. Don't really want to make my wife a single mother.

The surgery will more likely than not be fairly small.

Chemo is not a pleasant experience for most people though.
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Careful, the damn doctor just starts grabbing shit and cutting.
Scared the shit out of me.

Just be careful is all.
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 1:06:29 PM EDT
[#37]
I had one between my shoulder blades for decades that I finally had looked at over the summer.  The dermotologist said it looked a little funky did a shave biopsy in order to remove it and have it checked at the lab.

Literally, I didn't feel a thing aside from slight needle jabs when he worked in the numbing agent.   The site went numb within a couple seconds and he began cutting.  Took about 5 seconds.

The lab said it was just an irritated mole.  But the mole has already grown back.

Link Posted: 10/22/2012 8:13:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#39]
I just got home from another "treatment" at my dermatologist's office.  I have squamous cell carcinoma.  This time they cut out a 15mm lesion on the top of my head.

I get my spots zapped with liquid nitrogen or surgically removed every six months.  They told me that as long as I keep being treated, I'll survive as this virus is slow growing with little chance of metastasizing.  They cautioned me to watch for signs of melanoma carefully because that bug will kill you quickly if not caught early.

OP...good luck.  Get that sucker removed and keep going back for skin checkups!

And the cause?  Too much sun as a kid and while serving in the Navy.

Link Posted: 10/23/2012 12:36:27 PM EDT
[#40]
I scheduled an appointment for tomorrow.

Seeing an MD phd, so I reckon he's good. Graduated from a top 10 school 20 years ago.

I'll let ya know what happens.

Lucky there was a cancellation.
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Seeing an MD phd, so I reckon he's good. Graduated from a top 10 school 20 years ago.

Good luck!  

Link Posted: 10/23/2012 1:01:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Please keep us updated!
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 1:02:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Excellent. Do give an update.
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 1:10:29 PM EDT
[#44]

This thread scares the hell our of me.  I am very fair-skinned and I get sun burned very easily.  I have a number of moles all over my body and now I'm worried.  I have one mole that is way bigger than 5mm.  I've had it for years.

Both my parents died of cancer too.

Link Posted: 10/23/2012 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#45]
get rid of it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 1:26:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Here's to hoping it's nothing! Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 1:30:28 PM EDT
[#47]
How soon could I know the test results after a biopsy?
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Thanks everyone.

My dad had one on his face removed.  Recovery was a band-aid and asprin, IIRC.  That was 15 years ago, and he's very healthy.

Link Posted: 10/23/2012 1:39:16 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

How soon could I know the test results after a biopsy?

couple days to a week I think is generally normal....remember, no call back is a good thing. If they do and they don't want to discuss...brace yourself.  Good luck! As others have said, it is very curable if caught early enough.  

With these, you not only have what you see on the outside but what lies beneath. Think iceberg.. The more shallow it goes, the better off you are.

Link Posted: 10/23/2012 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#50]
I'd have it cut off just for good measure. Fuck it's not pretty
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top