BCM
User Panel

Page / 403
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 4:28:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
True.
Given all that he has going for him and his family at at Clemson, why leave just for more money and a hell of lot headaches as a HC.

Monk
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, that's not a huge compromise when he's getting paid over 2M a year.  Easy decision.
True.
Given all that he has going for him and his family at at Clemson, why leave just for more money and a hell of lot headaches as a HC.

Monk
That's all true, but I believe Venables is making $3.5M per year to be DC at Clemson. He's got a helluva lot less headache as DC, gets to coach his kids, and make it to the CFB playoffs every year.

Why give that up to go somewhere that is obviously not doing as well (if they were, they wouldn't be looking for a coach), and struggle, listen to the fan/booster/alumni gripe, and finish 8-5 to 10-3? Hell, I'd stay, coach my sons, win a championship or two, and then call it a day.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Saban's success is "The Process". Players, coordinators, and coaches change. The Process doesn't. Granted "The Process" evolves. Bama's changed from a power running team to high powered offense.
Dabo's success is "Family". Things don't changed nearly as much in Clemson. His people stay in place. The stability is the key to their success.

Other Coaches and their approaches aren't as complete and that is why their programs are less successful.

Monk
View Quote
I don't think Saban or Dabo are doing anything particularly special.  You have four components to a good college coach: (1) recruiting; (2) player development; (3) motivation; and (4) schemes and strategy.  Both Saban and Dabo, like Meyers, like Osborne, and like the rest at the top are generally good at all four.  Most college coaches are not good at all four, which is why they don't win the big show.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
There is no guarantee. But we KNOW Harbaugh is not that guy. Nothing in sports is guaranteed, unless you are talking about Saban or the Patriots.

Fearing the unknown of a different coach is a loser's mentality that settles for the status quo. I don't want the status quo; I want championships. What if that means hiring/firing 5 coaches to get there? So. Fucking. What. Harbaugh *will not* win the Big 10 or make the playoffs. I want to find someone who has a chance to do either of those.

Why can't we find a Day or Riley or Smart? We can't if we stick with a Michigan ManTM
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And here comes the question we have been asking you frustrated Michigan fans for 3 years now; When you fire Harbaugh, who are you going to replace him with that is going to GUARANTEE you those 11 win seasons along with playoff appearances?

There are probably about 20 other schools looking for this same guy and many of them have a big bag of money in tow.
There is no guarantee. But we KNOW Harbaugh is not that guy. Nothing in sports is guaranteed, unless you are talking about Saban or the Patriots.

Fearing the unknown of a different coach is a loser's mentality that settles for the status quo. I don't want the status quo; I want championships. What if that means hiring/firing 5 coaches to get there? So. Fucking. What. Harbaugh *will not* win the Big 10 or make the playoffs. I want to find someone who has a chance to do either of those.

Why can't we find a Day or Riley or Smart? We can't if we stick with a Michigan ManTM
I'd love to be wrong. I'd love it if Harbaugh is turning this garbage product around since the ending of the Penn State game. Though, I am not going to kiss his butt just in case he does good later on. He should be held accountable. 9 million dollar yearly contracts go to Coaches who win National Titles. Not people who lose virtually every big game and cannot beat a rival to save their life. Start winning big time games and start earning that 9 million dollars if you want us to shut up.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 5:14:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't think Saban or Dabo are doing anything particularly special.  You have four components to a good college coach: (1) recruiting; (2) player development; (3) motivation; and (4) schemes and strategy.  Both Saban and Dabo, like Meyers, like Osborne, and like the rest at the top are generally good at all four.  Most college coaches are not good at all four, which is why they don't win the big show.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saban's success is "The Process". Players, coordinators, and coaches change. The Process doesn't. Granted "The Process" evolves. Bama's changed from a power running team to high powered offense.
Dabo's success is "Family". Things don't changed nearly as much in Clemson. His people stay in place. The stability is the key to their success.

Other Coaches and their approaches aren't as complete and that is why their programs are less successful.

Monk
So you’re saying Dabo and Saban are special because they can do all 4 when most coaches can’t.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 5:30:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just give Shula 5 more years. We don’t need the guy who took off in the middle of the night from MSU, *ooooooo* shiny NFL gig, lol no this is a train wreck and I want out.

He just needs our support and we should be happy with 7-9 win seasons while losing to Auburn and LSU

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alabama had several misfires before they struck gold.
Just give Shula 5 more years. We don’t need the guy who took off in the middle of the night from MSU, *ooooooo* shiny NFL gig, lol no this is a train wreck and I want out.

He just needs our support and we should be happy with 7-9 win seasons while losing to Auburn and LSU

Shula had other issues aside from the inability to beat LSU and AU...……..
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 5:50:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You are my FAVORITE AU fan.*

Monk
*Non Family Member
View Quote
Knowing your disdain for all things orange (especially Auburn & Florida), that statement is probably akin to you thinking/saying "You are my favorite cockroach."

Despite that, I'll take it.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
And here comes the question we have been asking you frustrated Michigan fans for 3 years now; When you fire Harbaugh, who are you going to replace him with that is going to GUARANTEE you those 11 win seasons along with playoff appearances?

There are probably about 20 other schools looking for this same guy and many of them have a big bag of money in tow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dabo might be a good model to run on. 5 years might be too soon.

And just to pull from the past... Ohio State was just about to fire Woody Hayes. OSU was called the Graveyard of Coaches. And he was not doing well. Then all of a sudden things clicked for him and his teams.
Interesting change of tone after Michigan beat ND.
LOL FUCK THAT. Harbaugh is getting paid close to the same amount of money as Saban, and other elite coaches. Those coaches get paid that kind of money because they have several National Titles under their belts or continually win 11 games every year. A terrible season for those coaches is 10 wins. Harbaugh hasn't done a single one of those things.

Like that quote from Peter in Moneyball saying to Billie Bean who almost accepts a huge contract offer to be the General Manger for the Red Sox: "You're doing it for what the money says. It says what it says to any player who gets big money: that they're worth it."

Urban Meyer

Link Posted: 10/28/2019 7:11:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Knowing your disdain for all things orange (especially Auburn & Florida), that statement is probably akin to you thinking/saying "You are my favorite cockroach."
View Quote

I think I have bitched about this in previous years, every Christmas my MIL puts up a small Christmas tree that is 1/2 Bama and and 1/2 Auburn decorations.
It's the ugliest damn thing.

Monk
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I think I have bitched about this in previous years, every Christmas my MIL puts up a small Christmas tree that is 1/2 Bama and and 1/2 Auburn decorations.

Monk
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Monk
I can see the 1/2 AU stuff being ugly...…………...Crimson and White are very nice colors
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I can see the 1/2 AU stuff being ugly...…………...Crimson and White are very nice colors
View Quote
Not when I bleed Red and Black and more importantly the University of Georgia is the reason my marriage and my girls exist.

Monk
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 8:43:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Fleck started one year before Frost. Last year, Minnesota won their major rivalry game and won a bowl game, and this year is 8-0 and has the driver's seat for the championship game.

Frost is not doing as well as Fleck. C'mon Husker fans, what gives? Maybe Fleck is just a vastly better coach?
View Quote
Fleck has a vastly easier schedule this year. Look at it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 8:57:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
via Imgflip Meme Generator
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:00:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Fleck started one year before Frost. Last year, Minnesota won their major rivalry game and won a bowl game, and this year is 8-0 and has the driver's seat for the championship game.

Frost is not doing as well as Fleck. C'mon Husker fans, what gives? Maybe Fleck is just a vastly better coach?
View Quote
How good is mini soda anyway? I haven't seen a single game this year.

Not sure I'd buy that they're as good as their record.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:01:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're not.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:07:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s hard to say how good they are since they haven’t played any really good teams yet. One thing is for sure though and that’s that they’re getting better every week.
Look at the opponents and scores for their first four games and then their last 4. The quality of their opponents increased yet their offense has scored more points on average and their defense has really improved in points allowed.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's hard to say how good they are since they haven't played any really good teams yet. One thing is for sure though and that's that they're getting better every week.
Look at the opponents and scores for their first four games and then their last 4. The quality of their opponents increased yet their offense has scored more points on average and their defense has really improved in points allowed.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/394844/36C6A474-A765-49DE-83D7-57F2A053C971_jpeg-1140952.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's hard to say how good they are since they haven't played any really good teams yet. One thing is for sure though and that's that they're getting better every week.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/394844/36C6A474-A765-49DE-83D7-57F2A053C971_jpeg-1140952.JPG
Yeah, 52-10 against Maryland is very impressive. That's what you'd expect from Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin and Penn State.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:22:42 PM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgflip.com/3emgel.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
I am sayin'  
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like game day will be at another ranked AAC match up this year, Memphis vs smu this weekend.

Looks like the ACC should be replaced with the AAC
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 10:04:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm a LSU alumn, and my son graduated from Texas A&M. To say I'm a SEC guy is an understatement. I actually don't hate any of the SEC teams except Alabama (but who doesn't ). My biggest hate is reserved for Ohio State and USC (when they're good). When you think about it, it's really weird how you hate one team and like another. It's natural to be nuts over where you went to school, but there are other sports teams with which you have no connection and you love them and hate their rivals. I like the Chicago Cubs and hate the Cardinals. No idea why - nor do I know why I have such disdain for Ohio State. The other team I really don't like is Texas because I live in Austin, it's a liberal shithole, and their fans think they deserve to win the national championship every year.
View Quote
I live in western South Dakota and love the Yankees. Go figure.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 10:07:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm a LSU alumn, and my son graduated from Texas A&M. To say I'm a SEC guy is an understatement. I actually don't hate any of the SEC teams except Alabama (but who doesn't ). My biggest hate is reserved for Ohio State and USC (when they're good). When you think about it, it's really weird how you hate one team and like another. It's natural to be nuts over where you went to school, but there are other sports teams with which you have no connection and you love them and hate their rivals. I like the Chicago Cubs and hate the Cardinals. No idea why - nor do I know why I have such disdain for Ohio State. The other team I really don't like is Texas because I live in Austin, it's a liberal shithole, and their fans think they deserve to win the national championship every year.
View Quote
I think this guy! Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/28/2019 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 10:30:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I am a simple man. I hate the color orange.

Monk
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:14:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You're a bad person and you should feel bad.
View Quote
You’re on a roll today.

We usually hate teams we have no connection to because we see the way many of their fans act. See CCCF vs WMU for example.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:22:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's funny, I don't "hate" any other team (except maybe TTUN) but there are definitely teams I root against.  There are also teams I have no affiliation with that I hope do well.... Wisconsin for example.  No idea why.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:31:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Don't forget that Saban coached in the NFL and did very poorly.
View Quote
So what?

He's proven he knows how to build a college football program like no one else in history.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:33:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What do they pay Venables?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Monk
I have no idea how Dabo managed to keep Venables for so long. I guess the guy really has no intention of becoming a head coach somewhere. That consistent defense has been huge for Clemson.
What do they pay Venables?
A bunch.  I’d love to have him in Tuscaloosa.  That said, I’m curious to see if Sarkisian sticks around for two or three years.  I’ve actually got a feeling he will.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:35:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A bunch.  I’d love to have him in Tuscaloosa.  That said, I’m curious to see if Sarkisian sticks around for two or three years.  I’ve actually got a feeling he will.
View Quote
I genuinely hope he worked out his personal life over the last 4 years.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:39:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Absolutely.  First, you have got to have talent to win championships.  Doesn’t guarantee you will, but without it you won’t get the top prize.  The rest of the list, spot on.  Luck also factors in.  You’ve got to get most of the close calls and remain mostly injury free.  Alabama is no doubt a very talented team, but injuries have really hurt the defense and may begin to affect the offense as the wear and tear accumulates.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:43:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alabama had several misfires before they struck gold.

He was gifted the best S&C in the nation at the time, then fired him to bring in an NFL coach a year or two away from retiring.  I believe the original S&C coach was the only one fired in four years.  Joe Kines would have been gone after dominating UT on defense, then going into prevent and losing on a 4th and 19.  Don was butthurt, but he didn’t push Mike for HC of the Dolphins, oddly enough.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:46:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He seems to have.  Hopefully he’ll stay on the right track.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 6:56:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same with Spurrier

Guy was one of the best offensive-minded college coaches of all time and couldn't do jack in the NFL
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 6:58:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It’s hard to say how good they are since they haven’t played any really good teams yet. One thing is for sure though and that’s that they’re getting better every week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Have they played a single team with a winning record?

Quoted:
I am a simple man.
Can't you say the same about every leg humper fan?
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:33:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something tells me you know the answer to that.

Hence why they’re an 8-0 P5 team, ranked #13, with a SOS comparable to Boise and UCF and no one is talking about them.

I’m not going to bag on them hard though as they have played 5 Big10 teams and it’s not their fault none of them are very good.

They have a much more difficult schedule remaining with 3 ranked teams so we will definitely get to see if they are for real.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 9:04:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

SNIP

Can't you say the same about every leg humper fan?
View Quote
LOL... I would thought an FU fan would have gotten the subtle Simple Man reference, especially this week.
It was a hat tip to the WLOCP.

Monk
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 9:08:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

LOL... I would thought an FU fan would have gotten the subtle Simple Man reference, especially this week.
It was a hat tip to the WLOCP.

Monk
View Quote
I even got that reference but then, I live in the Jacksonville area.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I even got that reference but then, I live in the Jacksonville area.
View Quote
AU > FU

At least this week....

Wait you live in  Jacksonville?... By choice?... My God man why?

Monk
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 9:14:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have just the man for you: Les “Lesticles” Miles.

LC
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 9:14:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
As did Spurrier.

Also, has anyone mentioned that its GEORGIA florida week?

Link Posted: 10/29/2019 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

AU > FU

At least this week....

Wait you live in  Jacksonville?... By choice?... My God man why?

Monk
View Quote
Amelia Island/Fernandina Beach.  Jacksonville area but whole different world.

Work brought me here, Wife is keeping me here.  She refuses to move away from the beach or any further North.

I truly love living where we live but would move to the Auburn area if I had a choice.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 9:37:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

As did Spurrier.

View Quote
No one cares about 2 middling programs in a weak division.

M-I-Z!
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 9:42:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Amelia Island/Fernandina Beach.  Jacksonville area but whole different world.

Work brought me here, Wife is keeping me here.  She refuses to move away from the beach or any further North.

I truly love living where we live but would move to the Auburn area if I had a choice.
View Quote
Nice. Now I feel I bad for teasing you about living in Jville.

Monk
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 9:57:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
He's far from the only one to have failed in the bigs. John McCay had a slew of national championships and was an utter failure in the NFL. Butch Davis, Lou Holtz, Steve Spurrier to name a few greats who stunk it up in the NFL.

Hard to say why some coaches can't make the switch. Dennis Green was not a good college coach, but went to the NFL and did very well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 10:03:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
We're gonna find out real quick. Two theories on hot, soft schedule teams - one is they get exposed when they meet real competition (Hawaii vs. Georgia a few years ago). The other is they get reps, experience and avoid getting ground down with injuries and play above their competition (Boise State vs. Oklahoma, or Georgia).

I'm leaning towards "gonna get exposed" with Minnesota. They look solid, very good for Minnesota, but what I've seen from the games I watched they do not look like they have a dominant aspect to their game, and they'll need that against top ranked competition. PSU will be a good clue, but even more so when/if they get to a championship game with OSU.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 10:04:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Playoffs

#1 UGA (beat LSU in championship game)
#2 OSU
#3 Clemson
#4 o’bama (11-1, non division winner)
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 10:42:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Nice. Now I feel I bad for teasing you about living in Jville.

Monk
View Quote
No need to feel bad about that.  I'm sure I'll say something soon that will make you wish you had said something even worse.  That's my goal anyway.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
As did Spurrier.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As did Spurrier.

It's ICY HOT STUNTAZ week!

If you've been around the internet for longer than a minute, you'll get that one.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 11:32:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Could be worse.  My wife casually mentioned an area she likes in Kansas yesterday.

Kansas.

Link Posted: 10/29/2019 11:37:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Playoffs

#1 UGA (beat LSU in championship game)
#2 OSU
#3 Clemson
#4 o’bama (11-1, non division winner)
View Quote
I’m going to assume at this point that OSU and Clemson are in there because they went undefeated.
And if that’s the case there’s no way a 1 loss Georgia team would get the #1 seed.
Page / 403
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top