BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 274
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 11:17:02 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 11/9/2021 2:58:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Well Monday Nebraska parted ways with four offensive coaches.  And the head coach restructured his contract, taking a 25% pay cut ( about $1,000,000)
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well Monday Nebraska parted ways with four offensive coaches.  And the head coach restructured his contract, taking a 25% pay cut ( about $1,000,000)
View Quote

They've been over paying for hc
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Texas Tech's assistant coach and S&C staff salary pool has been increased to 6.65mil a year, ranking #12 nationally among public schools

ETA:  

Places Texas Tech #3 in Big 12 behind OU and TU, will be #1 among reorganized Big 12 whenever that happens.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 7:48:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Double Tap

Up from 3.8mil/yr is not an insignificant bump.  Hoping McGuire can attract some highly talented coaches to come work with him.  

HS (TX in particular) recruiting has just lifted off with more grace than the Bezos dick rocket

So this salary pool would put TTU at #1 in PAC, #2 in ACC behind Clemson, #6 in the SEC (jebus yall spend money), and #3 in B1G
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 7:57:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:Big 12 to SEC schools are 2 of 2 winning 10 games at least once in first 3 seasons.  

Bet the richest athletic department can figure it out at least once.  

Ed O won a natty 2 years ago, and he's a dumpster fire
View Quote

Mizzou was at a very high levels for their programs when they made the move, and TAMU had a one-hit wonder phenom. Gary Pinkel had Mizzou at 10+ wins three out of five years before the move. They made two 10+ win seasons after the move, fired Pinkel, and have gone nowhere since. A&M has had exactly one 10+ win season in the last 20+ years. A&M's glory days were under Slocum in the SWC, and they've done nothing noteworthy since except that one really good season one year.

Texas is mediocre and has shown no signs of being anything else in the short term. Texas hasn't done anything good since Mack Brown was there, except one decent season with Herman.

I'm not going to say Texas can't get it together. I've already said they have all the pieces of the puzzle, more than most other teams could ever dream of. But to have their resources, and be unable to field 10-win teams is a damn disgrace. Compare all that Texas has at their disposal, and only one 10-win season in the last 10 years. Wisconsin is successful financially, but not nearly to the level of Texas, and we have six 10+ win seasons in the same span. WTF is wrong with Texas?

And they're going to move to a tougher conference? They lose two wins a season just by switching to the SEC, minimum. It's a move that just didn't make any sense. Continue aspiring to be top dog in a halfway decent conference, or accept that conference championships (and more) will be no more likely for UT than for my UW. No, scratch that. UW will have more success than Texas.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 10:23:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Texas Tech's assistant coach and S&C staff salary pool has been increased to 6.65mil a year, ranking #12 nationally among public schools

ETA:  

Places Texas Tech #3 in Big 12 behind OU and TU, will be #1 among reorganized Big 12 whenever that happens.
View Quote

When they fired Mike Leach he was lobbying to get higher pay for his assistants. They basically said screw that then that Craig James crap happened (totally false accusations) and Leach was fired.

They still owe him a million bucks.

That's why when the reports came out that Texas Tech was interested in him I laughed cause I'm sure he told them to go to hell.

It took them 10+ years of sucking after Leach left to put money into hiring a coach.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 10:29:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

When they fired Mike Leach he was lobbying to get higher pay for his assistants. They basically said screw that then that Craig James crap happened (totally false accusations) and Leach was fired.

That's why when the reports came out that Texas Tech was interested in him I laughed cause I'm sure he told them to go to hell.

It took them 10+ years of sucking after Leach left to put money into hiring a coach.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:  

They've been cheap for 20 years, paid 15x what they owed leach to fire other coaches.  

Leach coming back would be a pipe dream.  Leach loves the fans but the admin did him wrong and everyone knows it.  

He got grief for interviewing for other jobs while at TTU which was the only way to get raises to get close to his 3rd place Big 12 finishes most seasons.

Former Leach OL guy is now a billion Regent, he used his financial success to get a voice that can't be muted.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 10:32:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Mizzou was at a very high levels for their programs when they made the move, and TAMU had a one-hit wonder phenom. Gary Pinkel had Mizzou at 10+ wins three out of five years before the move. They made two 10+ win seasons after the move, fired Pinkel, and have gone nowhere since. A&M has had exactly one 10+ win season in the last 20+ years. A&M's glory days were under Slocum in the SWC, and they've done nothing noteworthy since except that one really good season one year.

Texas is mediocre and has shown no signs of being anything else in the short term. Texas hasn't done anything good since Mack Brown was there, except one decent season with Herman.

I'm not going to say Texas can't get it together. I've already said they have all the pieces of the puzzle, more than most other teams could ever dream of. But to have their resources, and be unable to field 10-win teams is a damn disgrace. Compare all that Texas has at their disposal, and only one 10-win season in the last 10 years. Wisconsin is successful financially, but not nearly to the level of Texas, and we have six 10+ win seasons in the same span. WTF is wrong with Texas?

And they're going to move to a tougher conference? They lose two wins a season just by switching to the SEC, minimum. It's a move that just didn't make any sense. Continue aspiring to be top dog in a halfway decent conference, or accept that conference championships (and more) will be no more likely for UT than for my UW. No, scratch that. UW will have more success than Texas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Big 12 to SEC schools are 2 of 2 winning 10 games at least once in first 3 seasons.  

Bet the richest athletic department can figure it out at least once.  

Ed O won a natty 2 years ago, and he's a dumpster fire

They might bumble into it, who knows.  But it'll happen at least one time.  

Texas boosters are building a NIL network to buy players, get ready they have more money than anyone else.  

I still expect them to underperform
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 10:41:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Pat Forde was absolutely brutal on Nebraska this week with the news about their shakeup.

Maybe Frost wasn't ready to coach a high-profile program. Like A&M, he had a rock-star QB at UCF. Other than that, what does he have to brag on? Nothing. It's a shame in a way, you want a guy going home for his dream job to succeed (unless he's an ass). Nebraska was always going to be a hard project, and still will be. Martinez just didn't have the stuff that Mackenzie Milton had, and a program needs more than a rock star to be successful. They have fan support, they have that B1G money, but they need recruiting and major player development. Maybe that's what Frost is missing.

If Frost doesn't make a bowl game next year and gets canned, he's going to have a hard time getting hired anywhere. What's his next move? OC at another mid-tier program like Pitt? He's young enough he can give himself a career reset.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 10:45:35 PM EDT
[#15]
8-1 UH still unranked in the CFP rankings.

ranked #17 in both AP and Coaches

there are (5) 3 loss teams in the CFP ranking.

unjustifiable in my mind, homer or not.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 10:47:28 PM EDT
[#16]
1. Georgia  9-0
2. Alabama  8-1
3. Oregon  8-1
4. Ohio State  8-1
5. Cincinnati  9-0
6. Michigan  8-1
7. Michigan State  8-1
8. Oklahoma  9-0
9. Notre Dame  8-1
10. Oklahoma State  8-1
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 10:48:37 PM EDT
[#17]
A&M and Oregon *and Stanford are the only teams in the country with a Top 5 win
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 10:49:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Nebraska must have signed a dumb dumb contract with Frost
View Quote

The original contract wasn't bad, but then AD Bill Moos after two losing seasons signed a 2 year extension.  It was a horribly one sided contract and it is nice to see new AD Trev Alberts get that fixed somewhat.  The thing is, Scott Frost is putting his money where his mouth his.  It will be interesting to see if he gets things figured out for the rest of this season and next season with new coaching hires, offensive philosophy, etc.  

Thank God Trev Alberts is the A.D. at Nebraska.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 10:51:44 PM EDT
[#19]

One of Texas Coaches takes his job seriously?

Am I supposed be upset?
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 10:54:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A&M and Oregon are the only teams in the country with a Top 5 win
View Quote

What am I missing?  Stanford defeated #3 Oregon.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 10:56:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 10:57:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A&M and Oregon are the only teams in the country with a Top 5 win

Whoops

Link Posted: 11/9/2021 11:01:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Am I supposed be upset?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Am I supposed be upset?

You should do you.  Athletes recording coaches ripping their asses and telling em to hit the transfer portal and leaking it to TMz probably isn't a good sign
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 11:03:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The original contract wasn't bad, but then AD Bill Moos after two losing seasons signed a 2 year extension.  It was a horribly one sided contract and it is nice to see new AD Trev Alberts get that fixed somewhat.  The thing is, Scott Frost is putting his money where his mouth his.  It will be interesting to see if he gets things figured out for the rest of this season and next season with new coaching hires, offensive philosophy, etc.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nebraska must have signed a dumb dumb contract with Frost

That's insanity.  Has any other coach gotten an extension after 2 losing seasons?  

Nebraska lost its Texas recruiting pipeline, hard to break into the B1G traditional recruiting grounds it seems
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 11:03:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Am I supposed be upset?
View Quote
I'm not a fan of expletives, but that needed to be said.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 11:05:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
1. Georgia  9-0
2. Alabama  8-1
3. Oregon  8-1
4. Ohio State  8-1
5. Cincinnati  9-0
6. Michigan  8-1
7. Michigan State  8-1
8. Oklahoma  9-0
9. Notre Dame  8-1
10. Oklahoma State  8-1
View Quote

Georgia
Oregon
Ohio State
Michigan
Alabama
Oklahoma
Notre Dame
Cincinnati
Oklahoma State
Michigan State
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 11:13:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Frost did what he needed to do as far as the coaches. We will see if it ups his game or not. I would like to see some personnel changes on field as well.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 11:36:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m curious….but which teams out of Auburn, Wisconsin, Purdue, Utah, and Arkansas do you think Houston would beat right now?

Link Posted: 11/9/2021 11:38:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I’m curious….but which teams out of Auburn, Wisconsin, Purdue, Utah, and Arkansas do you think Houston would beat right now?

View Quote

Purdue, Utah, and Arkansas
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 11:38:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm surprised hes a college graduate at all
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We're catching hell about it from the sports writers. He's too hard on his players he shouldn't call them out etc.

Fuck that shit. Our kickers had 1 job to do and they didn't do it. If anything it teaches them to take criticism and improve their game.

Keep in mind though our starting kicker was really good until he got injured and he's not back to being right.

Our backup kicker is a walk on. So, yeah we're scraping the barrel right now. We didn't recruit a kicker because our starting guy was good.

I think it's a fantastic move on his part.

Paul Finebaum can go choke himself. I can't stand that guy and for some reason he just plain hates anything MSU.

i totally supported this whole post until i got the finebaum comment and i just have to speak up. it should be finebaum can go fuck himself.  its beyond me how that dude keeps his damn job.

Exactly for the reason you just expressed. Controversy. Everyone hates Finebaum but can’t quit talking about him.

Finebaum is a radio troller, he just does it on TV now.  Bama has some interesting fans

Slimebaum is a notorious shit stirrer.  He’s a prototypical sports writer in a field where sportswriters make up for lack of talent by causing controversy.  Slimebaum is a UT graduate, btw.

He’s clever.  Sports media figured out pissing people off sells as well as anything else.  I’m not a fan of bullshit.  Slimebaum outed himself as someone who’s never played a down of football when he was whining about Saban snatching a knot in Kiffin’s ass for getting cute with his play calling.  If you want to play football, you’re going to have coaches dog cussing you and grabbing your face mask.  
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 11:39:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It’s his shtick........... when people realize that’s all he does, and ignore him, he will cease to be relevant
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We're catching hell about it from the sports writers. He's too hard on his players he shouldn't call them out etc.

Fuck that shit. Our kickers had 1 job to do and they didn't do it. If anything it teaches them to take criticism and improve their game.

Keep in mind though our starting kicker was really good until he got injured and he's not back to being right.

Our backup kicker is a walk on. So, yeah we're scraping the barrel right now. We didn't recruit a kicker because our starting guy was good.

Paul Finebaum can go choke himself. I can't stand that guy and for some reason he just plain hates anything MSU.

i totally supported this whole post until i got the finebaum comment and i just have to speak up. it should be finebaum can go fuck himself.  its beyond me how that dude keeps his damn job.

Exactly for the reason you just expressed. Controversy. Everyone hates Finebaum but can’t quit talking about him.

Finebaum is a radio troller, he just does it on TV now.  Bama has some interesting fans

Slimebaum is a notorious shit stirrer.  He’s a prototypical sports writer in a field where sportswriters make up for lack of talent by causing controversy.  Slimebaum is a UT graduate, btw.

It’s his shtick........... when people realize that’s all he does, and ignore him, he will cease to be relevant

It’s really a shame, because his show talked about football every day of the year.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 11:59:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

He’s clever.  Sports media figured out pissing people off sells as well as anything else.  I’m not a fan of bullshit.  Slimebaum outed himself as someone who’s never played a down of football when he was whining about Saban snatching a knot in Kiffin’s ass for getting cute with his play calling.  If you want to play football, you’re going to have coaches dog cussing you and grabbing your face mask.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My first football practice coach put my ass and face in the dirt.  

We've been friends for nearly 30 year since
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 12:32:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'll make a long term pmag bet on it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

are you assuming they get placed a new division with missouri, vanderbilt, so carolina, TN and kentucky?

How did Mizzou do in their first 3 years?

that was then, we're talking about now.

I'll take that action.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 12:34:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'll take that action.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

are you assuming they get placed a new division with missouri, vanderbilt, so carolina, TN and kentucky?

I'll take that action.

Only aggies have been willing to put up
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 12:43:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll take that action.

Link Posted: 11/10/2021 1:05:02 AM EDT
[#36]

Sounds like describing a TCU, Baylor, or Houston home game vs TTU.  

Also recent years in MBB in Austin has been 60-70% TTU fans.  Winning gets ya cheering fans
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 8:31:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Also recent years in MBB in Austin has been 60-70% TTU fans.  Winning gets ya cheering fans
View Quote
Sadly that doesn't translate well for OU.  Even when they have been really good at basketball they still can't get fans in the seats.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 8:54:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Am I supposed be upset?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Am I supposed be upset?

True.
Whatever player filmed and posted that to social media is the problem.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 9:04:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You should do you.  Athletes recording coaches ripping their asses and telling em to hit the transfer portal and leaking it to TMz probably isn't a good sign
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Am I supposed be upset?

The fact that Texas football program is rotten right now isn’t exactly newsworthy to recruits or fans.

The fact that at least one coach gives an actual fuck? That’s pretty newsworthy.

I’m betting Saban (and Dabo, and Riley and Gary Patterson and many other coaches who aren’t just there for a paycheck) has said similar many times
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 9:06:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm not a fan of expletives, but that needed to be said.
View Quote

Quoted:

True.
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 9:10:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

On the surface that seems unfair. But the questions that need to be answered are:

Could Houston beat any of them?
Would Houston be 8-1 if they played those teams schedules?

Take Cincinnati for instance. They’re a damn good team but would they be undefeated if they had played Michigan’s schedule so far? A&Ms? Any of those other Top 10 teams?

Highly unlikely.
Not saying it’s fair. It’s something that needs to be addressed when you have a sport where you are ranking 130 teams by committee and not preset criteria.

The real solution is to have a big enough playoff that if you win your conference you qualify. As long as we have rankings by committee deciding that, we will have controversy.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 9:16:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll take that action.

It’s the Horns and we’re betting against their success.
I could probably get you some real action by posting that on TexAgs. There would be guys going “I’m not even sure what a pmag is but I’ll take that bet”.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Sadly that doesn't translate well for OU.  Even when they have been really good at basketball they still can't get fans in the seats.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bobby Knight complained about attendance at TTU during football season (01-08).  

Tech fans are better since football has sucked, baseball and basketball have been contending for nattys.  

If OU loses a bunch I bet basketball would fill in, which is kinda crazy as they have had some really solid teams even recently
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 10:01:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The fact that Texas football program is rotten right now isn’t exactly newsworthy to recruits or fans.

The fact that at least one coach gives an actual fuck? That’s pretty newsworthy.

I’m betting Saban (and Dabo, and Riley and Gary Patterson and many other coaches who aren’t just there for a paycheck) has said similar many times
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Am I supposed be upset?

Mike Leach had some pretty colorful rants that got out many times.  

A quiet apathy bus ride back is the worst sign
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I could probably get you some real action by posting that on TexAgs. There would be guys going “I’m not even sure what a pmag is but I’ll take that bet”.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll take that action.

I'm just confident in my prediction, it'd be worth 2 pmags now if TU doesn't git it done.  I just think they'll find a way.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Alabama should be on upset alert this week
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#47]
New Mexico State is playing a tougher SEC schedule this month than the SEC is
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

True.
View Quote
Are we sure it was even a player at this point?  May have been sark himself.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Bobby Knight complained about attendance at TTU during football season (01-08).  

Tech fans are better since football has sucked, baseball and basketball have been contending for nattys.  

If OU loses a bunch I bet basketball would fill in, which is kinda crazy as they have had some really solid teams even recently
View Quote
I remember during my days there that once a semester the head coach of the basketball team would be in one of my classes telling people to come watch the games.  I admired his hustle trying to fill the seats.

One problem is where the stadium is located.  It isn't on the main campus, so out of sight out of mind.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#50]

View Quote
Overall opponent record:

Georgia 45-36
Cincinnati 33-48
Alabama 44-36
Oklahoma 31-51
Ohio State 39-43
Oregon 38-44
Notre Dame 43-38
Michigan 41-41
Oklahoma St 44-37
Michigan St 38-43
UTSA 32-50
Texas A&M 45-36
Page / 274
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top