BCM
User Panel

Page / 242
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 8:43:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A couple of historical stories about the series-
Before he was a record-setting coach at Alabama, Paul Bryant was a tough, hard-nosed left end for the Crimson Tide and played one of the best games of his career against the Vols. Both teams were down that year, but the Bryant legend was kindled in that game when he played despite having a cracked fibula that he suffered the week before. That same mental and physical toughness would go on to define his teams at Alabama. After the game, Bryant famously said, "It was one little bone."

The initial Alabama-Tennessee game in 1901 featured fans rushing the field in Birmingham to protest, but was called due to darkness with the score tied 6-6.The 1913 game ended with a 6-0 score in favor of Alabama, but Tennessee never forgot the Crimson Tide’s first All-American, Bully Van de Graaff.
“His ear had a real nasty cut, and it was dangling from his head, bleeding badly,” Tennessee lineman Bull Bayer later recalled. “A referee told him to leave the field to get medical attention.  He grabbed his own ear and tried to yank it from his head. His teammates stopped him and the managers bandaged him.
“Man, was that guy a tough one. He wanted to tear off his own ear so he could keep playing.”
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Before he was a record-setting coach at Alabama, Paul Bryant was a tough, hard-nosed left end for the Crimson Tide and played one of the best games of his career against the Vols. Both teams were down that year, but the Bryant legend was kindled in that game when he played despite having a cracked fibula that he suffered the week before. That same mental and physical toughness would go on to define his teams at Alabama. After the game, Bryant famously said, "It was one little bone."

The initial Alabama-Tennessee game in 1901 featured fans rushing the field in Birmingham to protest, but was called due to darkness with the score tied 6-6.The 1913 game ended with a 6-0 score in favor of Alabama, but Tennessee never forgot the Crimson Tide’s first All-American, Bully Van de Graaff.
“His ear had a real nasty cut, and it was dangling from his head, bleeding badly,” Tennessee lineman Bull Bayer later recalled. “A referee told him to leave the field to get medical attention.  He grabbed his own ear and tried to yank it from his head. His teammates stopped him and the managers bandaged him.
“Man, was that guy a tough one. He wanted to tear off his own ear so he could keep playing.”

That's a tough ass player
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 8:50:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, times have definitely changed.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 8:56:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They'd probably take ya away for tearing your ear off
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:22:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Sadly no Hope references. .

SEC Shorts - Alabama tries to escape from Knoxville

Monk
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sadly no Hope references. .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEPnplQlWuM

Monk
View Quote

Hope has a full time gig on stage atm
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:44:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you get sent to the sideline for having blood on your uniform.  I can’t remember playing a game in high school where I didn’t have blood on mine.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:48:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I think you get sent to the sideline for having blood on your uniform.  I can’t remember playing a game in high school where I didn’t have blood on mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking straight jacket time if you start pulling ya ear off
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:50:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably so!
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:53:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nah, they have given up Hope.

Monk
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Bullshit.  They would’ve helped Alabama with a late hit, tackling the qb by the neck, uncalled face mask on a Bama wide receiver and a few more.  The refs are winning an academy award if they’re trying to help Alabama win.
View Quote

It really sucks having a game taken from you by poor officiating doesn’t it?  cough 2018 national championship game cough
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 10:16:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

We watched that live and were rolling on the floor laughing
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 10:51:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Monk
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Monk

Until Signing Day
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 11:04:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hannah did one just two weeks ago.

SEC Shorts - SEC Teams call the Miracles Department
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 11:19:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I will say that after watching the Tenn/Bama game, I was definitely thinking of how much 4 and 5 star talent must be on the field for BOTH teams. Incredible speed as well from the WR's.

Speaking of Gundy down at Okie State.... I still love this rant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ3oXkDPKbM
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 11:25:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Lane Kiffin is a hoot. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_6isViPx2g
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_6isViPx2g

Probably why she's not on every episode
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 1:23:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 1:35:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 4:55:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Meh, just go for it every 4th down and only 2pt conversions.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Analytics 4 Lyfe
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:06:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’ve never understood the whole tear down the goalposts thing…just seems dumb to me.

Hearing that there is a good chance that King will not be starting for A&M this week do to injury…freshman Weigman will.

4 starting OL out this coming week with Foster likely out the rest of the year….

Their might actually be an OC search too… with OC Dickey “retiring”, OL coach gone (good thing in my opinion), and maybe a couple others.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:14:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Had a rugby teammate that had the same injury.

The top part of the ear was dangling down, hanging from a portion of skin.

Ref wanted him off.  We just took a tampon and gauze then taped it up to play the rest of the game.

It was pretty nasty, but it was sewn back and you couldn't even see the scar after because it was between the ear and the skull.

Link Posted: 10/17/2022 10:17:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 11:08:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I’ve never understood the whole tear down the goalposts thing…just seems dumb to me.

Hearing that there is a good chance that King will not be starting for A&M this week do to injury…freshman Weigman will.

4 starting OL out this coming week with Foster likely out the rest of the year….

Their might actually be an OC search too… with OC Dickey “retiring”, OL coach gone (good thing in my opinion), and maybe a couple others.
View Quote

Where you getting all this from?
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 11:13:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Where you getting all this from?
View Quote

My brother….now where he gets it from, I’m not really sure….but wherever he gets it, he tends to be right more often than not.

I hope he is wrong on the lineman part….hope he is right in the OL coach and OC search.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 11:24:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Foster being out for the rest of the year will really hurt on the line. I haven’t much cared for the job Addazio has done this year, but I do think the O-line is young. It is hard to really put the blame entirely on the coach when it is an underclassman line.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 2:42:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Georgia is currently favored by 10.5 points against Tennessee in the de facto SEC East Championship game.

That’s about double what I was expecting the line to be.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 5:01:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Georgia is currently favored by 10.5 points against Tennessee in the de facto SEC East Championship game.

That’s about double what I was expecting the line to be.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/F87546A7-C91B-48F6-8397-6A3F99AA7731_jpe-2567074.JPG
View Quote

Vols gonna stomp the dawgs
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 6:03:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 7:35:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

king's foot and status was literally the first question to jimbo in yesterday's press conference and without hesitation he said king is playing.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 9:15:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Those breakfast beers are hitting you hard today.

The Vols have been an offensive powerhouse so far this year but their defense is problematic.
Georgia's defense is second in points allowed per game and Tennessee's is 47th.
Tennessee is second in points per game at 47.7 PPG and Georgia is 10th with 41.7 PPG
Georgia held Oregon (9th in PPG at 42.0) to 3 points.

If the Georgia team that smashed Oregon, SC, AU, and Vandy shows up then Georgia wins.
If the Georgia team that struggled against Mizzo shows up then Georgia is in trouble.

Offensive Stats
Defensive Stats

Monk
ETA: Playing in Athens helps the Dawgs as well.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 9:34:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Those breakfast beers are hitting you hard today.

The Vols have been an offensive powerhouse so far this year but their defense is problematic.
Georgia's defense is second in points allowed per game and Tennessee's is 47th.
Tennessee is second in points per game at 47.7 PPG and Georgia is 10th with 41.7 PPG
Georgia held Oregon (9th in PPG at 42.0) to 3 points.

If the Georgia team that smashed Oregon, SC, AU, and Vandy shows up then Georgia wins.
If the Georgia team that struggled against Mizzo shows up then Georgia is in trouble.

Offensive Stats
Defensive Stats

Monk
ETA: Playing in Athens helps the Dawgs as well.
View Quote

Not gonna lie, I’ve very happy this game will be contested in the friendly confines of Dooley Field at Sanford Stadium.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 9:49:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

A few years ago there was a high school coach that did this.  He’d crunched numbers and decided it was a good strategy.  I can’t remember the team’s record, but it was actually pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 9:53:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

A few years ago there was a high school coach that did this.  He’d crunched numbers and decided it was a good strategy.  I can’t remember the team’s record, but it was actually pretty good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TTU went for it on 4th a bunch against UT and we won the game.  Doesn't work in every situation mind ya
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 10:02:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Underhand free throws are also supposed to be more effective, but most basketball players won't do it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#40]
If the best Georgia team shows up vs the Best Tennessee team …. Georgia wins.  Vols offense is impressive.  And if you go back to pre season WarDawg post , I said my pick for UGA to Lose one regular season game it will be to Tenn.  But I still think we take them. We are the better team up and down the roster. Admittedly that don’t necessarily put points on the board. Would like to say we still got to beat Florida.  Attachment Attached File
Go Dawgs.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 10:21:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Underhand free throws are also supposed to be more effective, but most basketball players won't do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m just repeating from an article I read, didn’t say it was a good idea.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

TTU went for it on 4th a bunch against UT and we won the game.  Doesn't work in every situation mind ya
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am happy that every team doesn’t do that against Texas. I think it’s a legit strategy against a young defense.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 10:26:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It really sucks having a game taken from you by poor officiating doesn’t it?  cough 2018 national championship game cough
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit.  They would’ve helped Alabama with a late hit, tackling the qb by the neck, uncalled face mask on a Bama wide receiver and a few more.  The refs are winning an academy award if they’re trying to help Alabama win.

Poor officiating didn’t take the Tennessee game away from us.  Poor game preparation and discipline were a factor, but in the end it was Tennessee’s day.  I was responding to the tards claiming the refs were taking the game away from UT when a blind man could tell they weren’t.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 10:45:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I am happy that every team doesn’t do that against Texas. I think it’s a legit strategy against a young defense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Helps to have QB2 who's "running" abilities involve running linebackers over.... mind ya he is dinged up and we are about to start QB3 for 2nd game in a row
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They damn near lead the country in 4th down attempts. Must be a leftover from the Leach days. I would have guessed Miss St to lead the country.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 12:32:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

They damn near lead the country in 4th down attempts. Must be a leftover from the Leach days. I would have guessed Miss St to lead the country.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/394844/0A06A1D8-EF67-4C30-AA07-1558B393B53C_jpe-2567374.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/394844/0A06A1D8-EF67-4C30-AA07-1558B393B53C_jpe-2567374.JPG

Leach's offense is more of a power pass game than what other spread teams are doing.  The idea is to be better at the short list of plays than the other teams are at defending... works pretty good until faced with elite defensive players

ETA:

8 of those were against UT

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 3:41:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

king's foot and status was literally the first question to jimbo in yesterday's press conference and without hesitation he said king is playing.  
View Quote

I hope he does.  As much as I wish Weigman would get to play some, I would greatly prefer it be late in a game and due to us being way up on someone.

I hope my brother heard incorrectly so I can tell him he is full of shit. (Hopefully he is still right on wanting to get a top OC though)
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 7:15:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#50]
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34826707/after-ruling-huskers-ad-publicizes-metrics-scott-frost-contract

I wonder how much someone made selling metrics when wins and loses are the ones that matter
Page / 242
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top