BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 242
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 11:29:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think you're missing the big picture (and the reason why the NCCA *can not*).  The SCOTUS ruled that they can't.  But more specifically Justice Kavanaugh told them in his concurring opinion that not only was the current matter illegal, but he sees many other practices that the NCAA engaged in as being illegal too and he encouraged others to bring suit against the NCAA.

Dude nutered the NCAA in his concuring opinion.  

As for the primary ruling, the SCOTUS ruled that the NCAA is effectively a monopoly.  Combine that with the concurring opinion from Kavanaugh, and if that implies that the NCAA is toothless.  If they piss anyone off, then that individual can sue that they are forced to work in/with with the NCAA because there are no other options, no competitors.  The SCOTUS already foreshadowed they are more than eager to bring those cases on the docket given the opportunity and will rule against the NCAA again.

So the NCAA stepped back and just let a free for all happen.  It's the only way they as an organization can survive short term.  But they all see the writing on the wall.  The NCAA is dead.

I think the board and senior leaders are working behind the scenes to structure a new org in the CFP to take over, dissolve the NCAA, then after a cooling off period they'll take new offers from the CFP to continue their careers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a big problem with it.   The NCAA should have set rules for it across the board, but since they were the ones that made the NIL happen, they’re distancing themselves from it hoping everyone forgets who was responsible.  I’m surprised the Power 5 conferences haven’t addressed it by now.

I think you're missing the big picture (and the reason why the NCCA *can not*).  The SCOTUS ruled that they can't.  But more specifically Justice Kavanaugh told them in his concurring opinion that not only was the current matter illegal, but he sees many other practices that the NCAA engaged in as being illegal too and he encouraged others to bring suit against the NCAA.

Dude nutered the NCAA in his concuring opinion.  

As for the primary ruling, the SCOTUS ruled that the NCAA is effectively a monopoly.  Combine that with the concurring opinion from Kavanaugh, and if that implies that the NCAA is toothless.  If they piss anyone off, then that individual can sue that they are forced to work in/with with the NCAA because there are no other options, no competitors.  The SCOTUS already foreshadowed they are more than eager to bring those cases on the docket given the opportunity and will rule against the NCAA again.

So the NCAA stepped back and just let a free for all happen.  It's the only way they as an organization can survive short term.  But they all see the writing on the wall.  The NCAA is dead.

I think the board and senior leaders are working behind the scenes to structure a new org in the CFP to take over, dissolve the NCAA, then after a cooling off period they'll take new offers from the CFP to continue their careers.

I didn’t read the ruling, so that does make sense.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 11:31:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Saban asked other schools to be transparent with NIL data and then Alabama failed to provide data, when asked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Really strange that something that’s as big of a deal as NIL isn’t transparent at all.  I’ve seen very, very little about how much players are getting and who they’re getting it from.

Saban asked other schools to be transparent with NIL data and then Alabama failed to provide data, when asked.

Likely because other schools didn’t.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 3:19:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 7:10:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because of the SCOTUS ruling, you effectively can't have national rules governed by a national body surrounding things like compensation/pay (i.e. NIL).

There are rumors that the power 5 are working behind the scenes to develop NIL rules at the conference level.  But they can't do it all together or else they get close to the line of oligopoly, and the SCOTUS will smack the conferences too.

But as you originally pointed out in your first post on this, each state set their own laws so that adds a complexity into the situation that is hard to solve for.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 7:36:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Anyone watch Denton Guyer vs Allen on Espn2 last night? Jackson Arnold had 400 yards of offense and 5 TD's including a 58 yard td run. The Elite 11 qb was very impressive. Can't wait for him to get to Norman next year.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 7:46:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Because of the SCOTUS ruling, you effectively can't have national rules governed by a national body surrounding things like compensation/pay (i.e. NIL).

There are rumors that the power 5 are working behind the scenes to develop NIL rules at the conference level.  But they can't do it all together or else they get close to the line of oligopoly, and the SCOTUS will smack the conferences too.

But as you originally pointed out in your first post on this, each state set their own laws so that adds a complexity into the situation that is hard to solve for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On top of that any state laws/conference rules on reporting, especially public, specifics of NIL deals will very likely violate privacy laws
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 7:48:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

On top of that any state laws/conference rules on reporting, especially public, specifics of NIL deals will very likely violate privacy laws
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will be very difficult to unwind that ball of twine…….. and even more difficult to get everyone on the same page
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 7:57:39 AM EDT
[#8]
My Hogs have a bye this week.
Vegas has the bye favored by 6.5 pts.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 7:58:33 AM EDT
[#9]

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 8:26:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Week 8 DRAFT Saturday TV Schedule
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 8:35:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It will be very difficult to unwind that ball of twine…….. and even more difficult to get everyone on the same page
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Making players employees would fix that but honestly NIL is gonna keep stars from agreeing to meager school salaries
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 8:37:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The scuttlebutt I hear from Starkville does not support anything vaccine related.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really hope its not the covid vaccine but the evidence real3ly keeps mounting up.

The scuttlebutt I hear from Starkville does not support anything vaccine related.

Before the COVID Vaccine, no one ever died.

Ever
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 8:41:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i think thats why they're trying to get congress to legislate the issue. gee, i cant imagine congress fucking that up.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anyone watch Denton Guyer vs Allen on Espn2 last night? Jackson Arnold had 400 yards of offense and 5 TD's including a 58 yard td run. The Elite 11 qb was very impressive. Can't wait for him to get to Norman next year.
View Quote

good for OU. y'all desperately need some QB help following gabriel
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 8:50:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

i think thats why they're trying to get congress to legislate the issue. gee, i cant imagine congress fucking that up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Senator Tubbs says hello
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Senator Tubbs says hello
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Senator Tubbs says hello

too bad tom osborne isnt still in congress. maybe him and tubberville could work it out.

Link Posted: 10/21/2022 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Ags didnt play last weekend and I’m out of town this weekend so I’m on a bit of a college football detox….

Heading to Oklahoma this morning for 2 nights of run and gun.  Looking forward to it.

Link Posted: 10/21/2022 10:08:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ags didnt play last weekend and I’m out of town this weekend so I’m on a bit of a college football detox….

Heading to Oklahoma this morning for 2 nights of run and gun.  Looking forward to it.

https://i.imgur.com/o9ontq9.jpg
View Quote

Fuck yes that looks like fun (except the running part)
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh, General Booty!
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 2:04:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not sure which is worse - the teams or the ACC officiating.
View Quote

Both?
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 2:06:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nice setup.
What helmet are you using?

Monk
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Brain Kelly said there is a conspiracy against him when it comes to replay claiming that "ten out of ten times, the call stands unless it's an LSU call" and that the replay officals are screwing LSU over because they "just don't like the guy from up north."
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 2:41:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nice setup.
What helmet are you using?

Monk
View Quote

Opscore bump with a pair of 14s on a powered TNVC bridge.

Ill upgrade to actual duals eventually when my boys are old enough to come do dumb stuff with dad and they can use the 14s I have now.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 3:42:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ags didnt play last weekend and I'm out of town this weekend so I'm on a bit of a college football detox .

View Quote
Hell yes.  Have fun!
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:Opscore bump with a pair of 14s on a powered TNVC bridge.

Ill upgrade to actual duals eventually when my boys are old enough to come do dumb stuff with dad and they can use the 14s I have now.  
View Quote

Now that is good parenting.

Monk
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Opscore bump with a pair of 14s on a powered TNVC bridge.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2022 6:47:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Who'd have predicted these Big 12 standings at mid-season?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

If our family farm ever gets a hog problem…I’ll know who to contact.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 8:09:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TNVC with open credit line
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 8:17:18 PM EDT
[#31]
It’s game day!!!

Blazers already up 7-0 over the WKU Hilltoppers.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 8:17:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a bad option….

I should start saving for a thermal scope
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

All of us in this thread.  We'll show up for the NC Game weekend, thin out the hogs over the weekend, then lock up all the weapons & watch the NC game Monday night.
Chants of SEC SEC SEC will be epic.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 8:21:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've killed a few dozen hogs
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 8:26:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Who'd have predicted these Big 12 standings at mid-season?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/62443/Screenshot_20221021-174628_Instagram_jpg-2571306.JPG
View Quote

Prime example of preseason rankings.
Oklahoma #9
Baylor #10
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Oklahoma #9
Baylor #10
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Edit:  Wife and I are watching the UAB/WKU game.  The mascots popped up on the screen and my wife asked me ..
Wife:  What the heck is the WKU mascot supposed to be?
Me: Hilltoppers
Wife:  Pill Poppers?!?
Me:
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oklahoma #9
Baylor #10

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174498/2022cfbpollappre_jpg-2571475.JPG

Polls are stupid
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.  That’s a can of worms.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 11:21:47 AM EDT
[#39]
It's game day!

Going to miss my Pokes kicking the hell out of Texas this afternoon. My youngest is getting married today, and I get to be a proud dad.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 12:09:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Ohio State with an interception from Iowa on the first play of the game.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 12:11:06 PM EDT
[#41]
My sister sent me this one this morning.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 12:11:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Ohio State up 3-0.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 12:21:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Iowa over Ohio State 7-3 after a sack, fumble, and scoop and score.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 12:33:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Ohio State back on top, 10-7.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Iowa turns it over again!
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 12:44:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Ohio State up 13-7.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 12:50:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Iowa fakes a punt, comes up short, and turns it over on downs.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Ohio State with their third field goal. 16-7.
Page / 242
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top