Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 332
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 10:47:31 PM EDT
[#1]
As a Michigan fan I’ll say I hate Saban.   I was in middle school when he was at MSU.   But I respect his ass.   At the same time, his final game was watching Michigan beat him in the Rose bowl!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 10:48:07 PM EDT
[#2]
On a non-popular choice…but someone that I would at least consider interviewing……Drinkwitz from Mizzou.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 10:49:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Farewell to Another College Football Season
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 10:58:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On a non-popular choice…but someone that I would at least consider interviewing……Drinkwitz from Mizzou.
View Quote

Yeah, good coach.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:05:00 AM EDT
[#5]
GO BLUE!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:12:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I saw Saban is retiring my first thought was he saw Mizzou's coming to town next season and he knew he better git while the gitten's good.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:13:36 AM EDT
[#7]

I love me some Darth Mizzou.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:24:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My respect goes out to Saban.  Great coach.  One of the best.  /media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/toast_gif-994.gif
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:25:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
End of an era in so many ways.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:26:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Mike Norvell
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:27:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

GD:  this is what we call “new money”.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:28:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I think he's not leaving simply because I think he wants a legacy of building an empire on his own. Rather than riding someone else's coattails.
View Quote

Yup

He has 15+ years if he wants it
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:30:08 AM EDT
[#13]
My money is on Lanning
GO DAWGS!
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 5:06:22 AM EDT
[#14]
"109 weeks ranked number 1 in the AP poll at Alabama" is just insane.

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 8:59:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Too bad Michigan ended his career instead of Auburn
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
End of an era in so many ways.

Too bad Michigan ended his career instead of Auburn

It would have been quite poetic, but Auburn completely blew it. :(
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:07:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quite an accomplishment as a coach..............and filthy rich to boot. We could all be so lucky
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:07:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

As a fan of an opposing team, I hate him for his success. But as a fan of the sport, the man has had an incredible, storied career and should be unquestionably considered the best of all time and has my utmost respect.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:08:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

GD:  this is what we call "new money".
View Quote
Well, I'd describe what I've seen from Michigan fans something else, but I do agree with you.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:11:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

add this: 2023 marked the first time since he's been at bama that saban's gone 3 years in a row without a national title.  another way to say that is every player he had that stayed their full 4 years got a national title
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:33:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My money is on Lanning
GO DAWGS!
View Quote

I'd be really surprised to see Lanning leave, he's seems committed to Oregon...plus, they can pay him just about what he wants and there is a hell of a lot less stress/expectations.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:39:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'd be really surprised to see Lanning leave, he's seems committed to Oregon...plus, they can pay him just about what he wants and there is a hell of a lot less stress/expectations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My money is on Lanning
GO DAWGS!

There are reports he is in Tuscaloosa interviewing right now. Wouldn't be surprised to see him announced as the head coach by tomorrow. Lots of former players are already alluding to a new coach, so it makes sense...........but we shall see. I like the guy and wouldnt have a problem with him being the coach

I have a feeling Saban has been working on this for awhile............there are rumors that his wife Terry is ill, and he wanted to retire due to those issues.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#22]
So are we actually getting NCAA Football 2025 for Playstation this summer or???

I might trade some other stuff in for a Gen 5 console, finally.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

add this: 2023 marked the first time since he's been at bama that saban's gone 3 years in a row without a national title.  another way to say that is every player he had that stayed their full 4 years got a national title
View Quote
Except for guys who came into the program in the past three years.

Coach is in his 70s. I get it. I think his career bookends an era of amateur sports that is finished. Kind of amazing to imagine what would have happened without his NFL years... but perhaps what happened at Alabama couldn't have happened without his stint in the pros.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:15:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:17:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No love for Finebum?
View All Quotes

I don't think he made the top 10
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:32:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Attachment Attached File

No slight to Michigan and them winning the National Championship.  Great team.  Go BLUE !!!   But here is the BEST Football Conference in college Football.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

There are reports he is in Tuscaloosa interviewing right now. Wouldn't be surprised to see him announced as the head coach by tomorrow. Lots of former players are already alluding to a new coach, so it makes sense...........but we shall see. I like the guy and wouldnt have a problem with him being the coach

I have a feeling Saban has been working on this for awhile............there are rumors that his wife Terry is ill, and he wanted to retire due to those issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My money is on Lanning
GO DAWGS!

Yeah, I think it’s Lanning.

And I think he’s a damn good coach and will make a great hire.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:10:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I wonder how much money Saban cost other programs firing their coach for not being as good as Saban.... its gotta be way more than he earned which was a mountain of money
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My money is on Lanning
GO DAWGS!

As long as he hires a good DC and a good OL coach, things will be good
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:15:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don Brown is available
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

As a fan of an opposing team, I hate him for his success. But as a fan of the sport, the man has had an incredible, storied career and should be unquestionably considered the best of all time and has my utmost respect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will even give him credit for what he did while at LSU, and bringing us out of the despair of the 80s and 90s. But between how he left LSU, and then coming back to Alabama I don't have to like it. I do admit that he is probably the greatest College Football Coach in history.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:35:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Well, I'd describe what I've seen from Michigan fans something else, but I do agree with you.
View Quote

Yeah.... I'm not gloating over here. Michigan says they are about tradition and class. Well act like it. I don't want UM fans to become like insufferable OSU fans.

I have great respect for Saban. He is one of the very few examples in life, you can say without controversy.... he's the best. And probably will never be replicated again.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 1:12:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My money is on Lanning
GO DAWGS!

Lanning has supposedly said he’s staying at Oregon. Now DeBoer is the odds in favorite at +300 to be the coach.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's wild!
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 3:27:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quinn Ewers announces that he is returning to Texas for his Jr season.

That bodes well that Sark will stay at Texas. FWIW, some reports that sark was indeed the first call Bama made.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quinn Ewers announces that he is returning to Texas for his Jr season.

That bodes well that Sark will stay at Texas. FWIW, some reports that sark was indeed the first call Bama made.
View Quote

Sarks got a good thing going at UT.  Ewers is the QB of now, and if Manning sticks around he'll be the next one.  Plenty of NIL money to go around, along with a very robust athletic budget.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Lanning has supposedly said he’s staying at Oregon. Now DeBoer is the odds in favorite at +300 to be the coach.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My money is on Lanning
GO DAWGS!

I have a feeling Knight and Nike got to him, but it's all good......of course Saban was staying at Miami, so you never know anymore............not sure about DeBoer as he's not from the SE and hasnt established ties to schools, but that can be done quick if he's the choice

Some are wanting DeMeco Ryans from the Texans, but he's a long shot as he has no college coaching experience, but he has done well with the Texans and had a great defense with San Francisco..........
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:07:54 PM EDT
[#41]

He never coached against Nebraska?
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:08:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

He never coached against Nebraska?
View All Quotes

Never beat Texas Tech either, probably because he never coached against us
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:49:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I have a feeling Knight and Nike got to him, but it's all good......of course Saban was staying at Miami, so you never know anymore............not sure about DeBoer as he's not from the SE and hasnt established ties to schools, but that can be done quick if he's the choice

Some are wanting DeMeco Ryans from the Texans, but he's a long shot as he has no college coaching experience, but he has done well with the Texans and had a great defense with San Francisco..........
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My money is on Lanning
GO DAWGS!

DeBoer has won everywhere he’s been. The recruiting thing is overblown. Sark had zero ties to Texas. Saban had none to LSU, and yet they both recruited gangbusters.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:54:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

DeBoer has won everywhere he’s been. The recruiting thing is overblown. Sark had zero ties to Texas. Saban had none to LSU, and yet they both recruited gangbusters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My money is on Lanning
GO DAWGS!

Not that Bama recruits itself, but hire some HS coaches around the SE as staffers and evaluators and you'll get some amazing talent.  Winning shouldn't hurt that
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Not that Bama recruits itself, but hire some HS coaches around the SE as staffers and evaluators and you'll get some amazing talent.  Winning shouldn't hurt that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My money is on Lanning
GO DAWGS!

Saban is staying around to assist the new coaching staff get settled in and help interview new staff.............I'd imagine what staff he doesnt bring will be filled with people that know the SE and can assist in the recruiting and not something to skimp on.............however it does take time to build relationships, so it's important from that aspect........and Both Sark and Saban had people from the SE on their staffs to help with it. I dont think it's Ryans as he has a playoff contending team.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Saban is staying around to assist the new coaching staff get settled in and help interview new staff.............I'd imagine what staff he doesnt bring will be filled with people that know the SE and can assist in the recruiting and not something to skimp on.............however it does take time to build relationships, so it's important from that aspect........and Both Sark and Saban had people from the SE on their staffs to help with it. I dont think it's Ryans as he has a playoff contending team.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My money is on Lanning
GO DAWGS!

I think most folks would want some advice from Saban, but it can also cause some issues as you might have a guy in mind.  Unless you're as good as Saban (better ain't really a thing, is it?) its gonna be a rough time at a school with so much sustained success.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 5:07:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I think most folks would want some advice from Saban, but it can also cause some issues as you might have a guy in mind.  Unless you're as good as Saban (better ain't really a thing, is it?) its gonna be a rough time at a school with so much sustained success.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My money is on Lanning
GO DAWGS!

I see what you’re saying, but if done correctly it can work. Saban CHOSE to step away, so that will help (in this context).
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I see what you’re saying, but if done correctly it can work. Saban CHOSE to step away, so that will help (in this context).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My money is on Lanning
GO DAWGS!

I mean, who wouldn't want input from Saban?  He's literally the coaching rehabilitator for failed on & off field issues.  The only sure bet is Kirby Smart and I don't see him wanting to leave UGA for Bama.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My money is on Lanning
GO DAWGS!

And he is only going to hang around to help the new guy get acclimatized and get set up, then ride off into the sunset. I'd never see him try and micromanage a new coach, as no one has ever done that to him.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 5:18:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

And he is only going to hang around to help the new guy get acclimatized and get set up, then ride off into the sunset. I'd never see him try and micromanage a new coach, as no one has ever done that to him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My money is on Lanning
GO DAWGS!

Honestly I'd be surprised if the new coach hasn't already been pretty much figured out, but who knows.  Guess we'll see how long before new coach is named
Page / 332
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top