Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Not until around 8pm or later in the New Braunfels/South Austin area.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 10:22:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another vote for GRLevl3. It is well worth the money.  We used it in both the State Operations Center and at the County EOC.  I even had a subscription on my computer at home.  It never failed for the really bad weather to happen after office hours and I could see what was happening and talk with our storm spotters and the communications center before I headed for the EOC.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A side note, if you are a weather nerd, I highly recommend buying GRLevl3. It gives you radar data direct from the radar sites themselves.  And a lot of different datasets that you can select. It polls the data every few minutes.
Another vote for GRLevl3. It is well worth the money.  We used it in both the State Operations Center and at the County EOC.  I even had a subscription on my computer at home.  It never failed for the really bad weather to happen after office hours and I could see what was happening and talk with our storm spotters and the communications center before I headed for the EOC.
I’ll be listening to the Tarrant County ARES/RACES freq later today. 146.940 for anyone in the area with a radio.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#3]
A question for those with more knowledge. What is the correct Radar setting to see hail, is it Hydrometeor Classification?
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 10:36:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I’ll be listening to the Tarrant County ARES/RACES freq later today. 146.940 for anyone in the area with a radio.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A side note, if you are a weather nerd, I highly recommend buying GRLevl3. It gives you radar data direct from the radar sites themselves.  And a lot of different datasets that you can select. It polls the data every few minutes.
I'm kicking myself for not bringing my HT on my trip
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 10:41:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Some people are oblivious or think I can store their car for them. Just had a guy try to drop off a 68 camero convertible.  Dude take your shit home and bring it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 10:47:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Some people are oblivious or think I can store their car for them. Just had a guy try to drop off a 68 camero convertible.  Dude take your shit home and bring it tomorrow.
View Quote
my neighbor does dent repair across the street, he is letting my put my truck in his shop since the MIL is in town with her new mercedes, she is going in my garage.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm on the western edge which means I should be okay, but in fact will be wrecked.
View Quote
I'm right there with you, bro.
Got a son in the DFW area, as well.
Spring is such a glorious season...
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 10:50:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks like I’ll probably be paying 500 to 1000 deductibles. Killeen is gonna get worked. Brand new truck too. Least the car is safe.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

my neighbor does dent repair across the street, he is letting my put my truck in his shop since the MIL is in town with her new mercedes, she is going in my garage.
View Quote
I already have 1930 model A, 1970 Malibu and a 1966 Mustang in here so I don't need another old car taking space.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gotta get in on the raindrop net!

If things get dicey hopefully Tim has some good info. I’ll be listening in as well.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:02:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Anyone have the Collin county freqs?

Thanks

Txl
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:03:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A question for those with more knowledge. What is the correct Radar setting to see hail, is it Hydrometeor Classification?
View Quote
What software are you using to monitor?
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:05:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks

Txl
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Txl
I found this list. It’s a little old so you may want to double check the freqs.

Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
One should always travel with a radio.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:11:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks

Txl
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Txl
I don’t know what odor isn’t, but give this a look.
RepeaterBook
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On my Android, I have Radar Alive Pro and PYKL3..
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#17]
is there way to listen to Ham freqs on iphone?
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
is there way to listen to Ham freqs on iphone?
View Quote
If someone is streaming it to radioreference, any of the police scanner type apps should be able to pull from it.

I know the tarrant races network is usually streamed.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:18:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You'd be incredibly stupid not to be paying attention to this storm.  Obviously it's spring and strong storms are to be expected.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, it is Spring.

This happens every year.  Just pay attention to the weather today and if by some off chance you win the tornado lottery just get in your shelter.
You'd be incredibly stupid not to be paying attention to this storm.  Obviously it's spring and strong storms are to be expected.
Yes, be weather aware.  But today isnt anything but a normal spring storm day.

It is not a May 2013 day.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:19:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/EUKCzfw.jpg
View Quote
Dallas Area RACES Links
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:19:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My current favorite radar phone app is "MyRadarPro." I used to use RadarScope but MRP is a much better app.
View Quote
I'll check that one out. Bad timing since my RadarScope subscription just renewed, but at least it's just the $10 annual plan.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, it is Spring.

This happens every year.  Just pay attention to the weather today and if by some off chance you win the tornado lottery just get in your shelter.

I hope you’re right, but the tone of voice from Brad Barton so far this morning on the DFW AM station that handles weather emergencies wasn’t too hopeful.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:22:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Frisky times
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:24:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m honestly not for sure on those as I haven’t used them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:26:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Frisky times
View Quote
You keep your frisky ness over there.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Frisky times
I'll be in downtown Dallas about the time we're supposed to get hammered.... that'll make it fun
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/EUKCzfw.jpg
View Quote
Yeah, I really need to pick up an XPR7550e and get it programmed for UHF DMR...
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:52:13 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm currently on the wise skywarn @146.780, but I don't expect it to get lively before I leave. Will be migrating to Denton or Tarrant when I get home around 4:30ish.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:57:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'll be in downtown Dallas about the time we're supposed to get hammered.... that'll make it fun
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Frisky times
I opted in for the Subnet school of work from home today.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:04:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Frisky times
I'd be doing that too but have stuff scheduled and no more days available to move this to.  Hoping to be out the door at 4pm so maybe not in big D when 5 hits
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
GR2 mo betta.

Not sure if they sell it or not though
View Quote
They do, but it's $250.00. I just upgraded from version 1 to version 2 last week. Just the upgrade was $100.00. It is a remarkable program though.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:10:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Still looking for iphone app that has the storm tracks that shows eta of tornadoes to each town.

I forget the name, but they "updated" the app I used and forced you to a new version that sucks.
Wifie got something called radar scope, but I haven't figured out how to configure it yet. (or of you have to pay for upgrades to have that option)
View Quote
I use Mesonet. The ball is about 2 miles away from the paper plant, so it's pretty, you know, immediate.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Until it is..
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#34]
GRLevel3 looks nice.  $80 license though.

Used to run BeWeatherPro on my phone until it stopped working recently - would pull customized radars from WUnderground.

These days I just pull up the WFAA radar page on my phone : https://www.wfaa.com/mobile/texas-radar
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:16:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I'll be on the linked repeater at Channel 8 TV 443.850/88.5 WIAS
It's always monitored during inclemency
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:16:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Until it is..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Until it is..
Not the right shear today.

Believe it or not,  it doesn't come out of nowhere.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:18:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I hope you're right, but the tone of voice from Brad Barton so far this morning on the DFW AM station that handles weather emergencies wasn't too hopeful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, it is Spring.

I hope you're right, but the tone of voice from Brad Barton so far this morning on the DFW AM station that handles weather emergencies wasn't too hopeful.
Panic makes for great TV and radio.

Will there be tornadoes today?  Probably.   More than a normal TX OK spring storm day?

Probably not.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#38]
My family has some property just north of Franklin, where the tornado hit last saturday.  
I was on the property doing work the weekend of the Apr 6th when we received over 6 inches of rain, never seen the ponds overflowing like that! Also had some quarter sized hail and multiple tornado watches.
Hoping that area doesn't get hit too hard, probably have downed trees from last weekend that i'll need to clean up.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:20:58 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote
Damn, a bit steep but you absolutely need 2 for interrogating storms. The 2D/3D modeling that only 2 provides is leaps and bounds better than what we used to have
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:21:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Until it is..

It sure seemed to in 2000. The tornado in Ft. Worth got my building and attached warehouse. Killed one of our drivers.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
GRLevel3 looks nice.  $80 license though.

Used to run BeWeatherPro on my phone until it stopped working recently - would pull customized radars from WUnderground.

These days I just pull up the WFAA radar page on my phone : https://www.wfaa.com/mobile/texas-radar
View Quote
But, it’s buy once cry once. Once you have it you have it and can use it on multiple devices.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:26:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm currently on the wise skywarn @146.780, but I don't expect it to get lively before I leave. Will be migrating to Denton or Tarrant when I get home around 4:30ish.
View Quote
To avoid the storm or chase it? I only ask since I'm in Denton now
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:26:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
storms will fire up east of the dryline around 3pm and will push into DFW around 4pm.
View Quote
IMHO, it'll be closer to 6 PM to 7PM before the chance of major hail producing cells moves into Ft Worth.

Bear in mind that this won't be a total coverage event and we should only see a couple of cells that produce large hail across most of the enhanced area.

At present the SPC is only forecasting a 30% chance of one inch diameter hail or larger within 25 miles of a point within the 'Enhanced' area. In the hatched area that's a 10% or greater probability of two inch diameter hail or larger within 25 miles of a point.

The 1PM update may raise that to 'Moderate' (45%), depending on when the cap breaks allowing the tops of these storms to build up higher.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It sure seemed to in 2000. The tornado in Ft. Worth got my building and attached warehouse. Killed one of our drivers.
View Quote
2000 was the dark ages for tornado predictions

The conditions aren't right for a massive outbreak.

Pay attention to the weather,  but the chances of YOU getting hit by a tornado today are astronomical.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:33:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Pay attention to the weather,  but the chances of YOU getting hit by a tornado today are astronomical.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I know. But I  still don't take chances. From there I moved to Cameron county Tx and became a full time firefighter.  Tip of Texas.
I got to play with hurricanes down there.

I don't take chances.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
IMHO, it'll be closer to 6 PM to 7PM before the chance of major hail producing cells moves into Ft Worth.

Bear in mind that this won't be a total coverage event and we should only see a couple of cells that produce large hail across most of the enhanced area.

At present the SPC is only forecasting a 30% chance of one inch diameter hail or larger within 25 miles of a point within the 'Enhanced' area. In the hatched area that's a 10% or greater probability of two inch diameter hail or larger within 25 miles of a point.
https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1probotlk_1300_hail.gif?1555517962578

The 1PM update may raise that to 'Moderate' (45%), depending on when the cap breaks allowing the tops of these storms to build up higher.
View Quote
Thank you for your posts as always. In every weather thread you have good info to share
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:37:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m far more worried about the hail threat today than tornados. A lot of people are going to be on the road when this comes through, and if it’s large hail, it could be very dangerous.

I’ll be on my way to Dallas after work unfortunately.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I’m far more worried about the hail threat today than tornados. A lot of people are going to be on the road when this comes through, and if it’s large hail, it could be very dangerous.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree and that's what I expect to see. I didn't want to get caught up in that shit.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Per the SPC in Norman, the tornado risk today is 5% of a tornado forming within 25 miles of any point within the designated area. That's pretty low as tornado conditions go.

That may rise slightly if their is sufficient daytime heating to break the cap and allow supercell formation...but the shear and vorticity don't appear to support tornado formation from today's storms.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
How many were here for the '95 MayFest hail storm, that absolutely destroyed things.  I hope this is a big nothing burger for most.
View Quote
Was there with my kids the day before.
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top