Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That would probably get you a nuke
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Three Gorges is considered Medium missile range from Taipei.

The missiles would definitely reach. A salvo of numerous missiles targeting the dam would fuck China up in almost incomprehensible ways, unless they somehow managed to shoot everything down.

I really wonder if China actually has the balls to use nukes. They attacked Taiwan, and Taiwan is defending herself. China's the one who started the shit.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:36:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The missiles would definitely reach. A salvo of numerous missiles targeting the dam would fuck China up in almost incomprehensible ways, unless they somehow managed to shoot everything down.
View Quote

Yep, this is a very shrewd, very credible deterrent strategy Taiwan.  One that doesn't require nukes or even the destruction of the dam, just about 50 missiles aimed at the dam site.  All it would take would be a single 1,000 kg warhead hit on the generator house or ship locks and the dam is out of commission.  More than one hit on the dam itself would force them to start draining the lake before it busted.

And I'm sure the Chinese know it.  Three Gorges may be an engineering marvel but it's a massive strategic liability; the entire economy of China would collapse if the dam broke.  And it just sits there, so the only recourse the Chinese have is to surround it with SAMs and ABMs and hope they are good enough to take out everything that comes their way.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:37:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Huh?
View Quote

Should be 1,200 kilometers
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:38:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Now put nukes on them
View Quote

When you can split some atoms, it kind of changes the perspectives of other countries that aren't your friend.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:41:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I really wonder if China actually has the balls to use nukes. They attacked Taiwan, and Taiwan is defending herself. China's the one who started the shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m no geopolitical expert, but this would be my thought as well. Destroying the dam would be as or more devastating as a nuclear strike, but in this scenario I’m not sure China would have the balls. Then again assuming your enemy will be restrained when counterattacking is a poor strategy too.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:42:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

When you can split some atoms, it kind of changes the perspectives of other countries that aren't your friend.
View Quote

The Norks figured this out during the Bush Administration.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yep, this is a very shrewd, very credible deterrent strategy Taiwan.  One that doesn't require nukes or even the destruction of the dam, just about 50 missiles aimed at the dam site.  All it would take would be a single 1,000 kg warhead hit on the generator house or ship locks and the dam is out of commission.  More than one hit on the dam itself would force them to start draining the lake before it busted.

And I'm sure the Chinese know it.  Three Gorges may be an engineering marvel but it's a massive strategic liability; the entire economy of China would collapse if the dam broke.  And it just sits there, so the only recourse the Chinese have is to surround it with SAMs and ABMs and hope they are good enough to take out everything that comes their way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that damn bursts global supply chains are fubar for a long time.  There is a shit ton of manufacturing downstream.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:44:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No,they’re in case Belize gets all uppity.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:45:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm no geopolitical expert, but this would be my thought as well. Destroying the dam would be as or more devastating as a nuclear strike, but in this scenario I'm not sure China would have the balls. Then again assuming your enemy will be restrained when counterattacking is a poor strategy too.
View Quote

The whole point of taking over Taiwan is to preserve its infrastructure, manufacturing base, and educated populace for the ChiComs.  Turning Taipei into a modern version of Hiroshima would not further that strategy.

However, if the entire Yangtze valley was under several feet of water containing millions of corpses I don't think the ChiComs would care much about preserving Taiwan anymore.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Could they design one to make it to DC?
Just wondering.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:45:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If that damn bursts global supply chains are fubar for a long time.  There is a shit ton of manufacturing downstream.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Manufacturing, farmland, and people. Massive numbers of all three.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:46:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Chinese are probably going nuts.
1. Trump tariffs are costing them billions
2. Covid shrinks their exports
3. Food imports rising
4. Worldwide shipping container shortage shrinks exports
5. Suez ship blocks exports (for a couple of weeks?)
6. Taiwan builds missiles
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:46:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Better dead than Red.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:48:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Long range? Like... Three Gorges Dam long range?
View Quote

Strikes against this with the intention of destroying it, along with acquisition of Nuclear weapons by Taiwan have been explicitly put out by the PRC as casus belli for strategic nuclear strikes against the Island.

Just putting it out there, that the tough guy talk everyone is talking about has implications.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:48:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Google maps says 750 miles away, which is about 1,200 miles kilometers.  Not that hard.

ETA:  
View Quote

Current missiles. They can get there. Never heard how good they are but hopefully the Israelis help them out.

Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:52:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:53:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

China really set themselves up with that dam didn't they?

I hope Taiwan doesn't go down without a bitter, vicious fight and deal China a crippling blow. Sadly, they have no friends that will step up to the plate in their defense.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:54:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Oh they sure do. The phrase I seem to recall was "ratchet-ready".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Give Japan and South Korea 200 nukes each also.  Also delivery capacity.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/fukushima-anniversary/japan-has-nuclear-bomb-basement-china-isnt-happy-n48976

Article says 6 months, other sources say less than a month.

I've been told they could have nukes in less than a week.

I'm willing to bet they have all the parts, plans, facilities, and man power chosen. It is Japan after all.

Oh they sure do. The phrase I seem to recall was "ratchet-ready".

Nuclear weapons parts kits.
Or 80% nukes.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:54:17 PM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/qoGgZdah.jpg

Then that’s on us and everyone else for getting so reliant on buying shit from our enemy.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:56:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Strikes against this with the intention of destroying it, along with acquisition of Nuclear weapons by Taiwan have been explicitly put out by the PRC as casus belli for strategic nuclear strikes against the Island.

Just putting it out there, that the tough guy talk everyone is talking about has implications.
View Quote

Well, that's the whole point of Mutually Assured Destruction, isn't it?  If the Chinese know that Taiwan can destroy their entire economy for a generation with a few dozen cheap non-nuclear missiles then they're going to be less likely to throw their weight around and bully Taiwan.

This was the basis of the US nuclear strategy towards the Soviet Union during the Cold War, and you know what?  It worked.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:57:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
good
View Quote

Fuckin A.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:59:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I hope they mangle the shit out of the CCP and their families. Leave them screaming in agony.

Fuck a god damn commie. Gut the cocksuckers like catfish.
View Quote

My new bestest friend.........
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:01:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:01:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Good idea. They need to field enough accurate missiles with the range to reach the Chinese mainland as to make any attempt by China to conquer Taiwan not worth the cost. Honestly, now that we have pulled out of the INF Treaty, we need to develop something like a conventional Pershing II theater ballistic missile and bring back the GLCM to compliment it. If China starts acting uppity, then deploy shitloads of these road mobile systems into every country in the western Pacific within 1100-1500 miles of the Chinese coast. If China wants to live by the theater ballistic missile, then let the son of a bitches die by the theater ballistic missile. It is also much less expensive to build transporter erector launchers for TBM's and GLCM's than it is to build ships that can carry such weapons. It is also easier to hide them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
3. Food imports rising
View Quote

They just gotta ride this out, it is a short term setback for generational thinkers.

They have a plan.

Thanks to "the big guy" and the money spent getting him in the WH, they are poised to become the sole source of the USA's (and most of Europe's) energy needs. Solar panels come from China, electric car batteries come from China. Having us dependent on them to keep our lights on and nation mobile will be even more of a win then their current stranglehold on our manufacturing and consumer goods.

Next step will be monopolizing production of the Bill Gates pushed idea of lab grown meat.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:03:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Long range? Like... Three Gorges Dam long range?
View Quote
was just talking with the wife the other day about I think eventually China will have a Chernobyl type event that will trigger their downfall

That dam was the first thing that popped into my mind
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#28]
I am disappointed if they don’t have a fleet of IRBM’s ready to fly, stealthy and evasive
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:10:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is China’s stated policy.  

Nightmare scenario.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:10:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Good, I hope they can put some Teller Ullam warheads (or at least inspired versions) on them.

F CCP
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Definitely. But the damage done by collapsing the dam would be comparable to the damage done by a nuke, maybe more. So even if a volley of long-range missiles isn't guaranteed to successfully hit the dam, the possibility that it would is enough to be a deterrent against a Chinese invasion.

And that's fundamentally what this is about. Taiwan is deterring an invasion by putting China in a position where an invasion is to roll the dice with losing the dam.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:38:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Nuclear weapons parts kits.
Or 80% nukes.
View Quote

They don't have the atf to worry about so there probably 87% Nukes. Or 97% potato patoto.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:43:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Just let China they have the range to reach here -

Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:44:06 PM EDT
[#34]
So it seems pretty clear Taiwan does have some missiles that could reach the dam. My questions:

- How many of these missiles do they have?
- Are they accurate enough to actually hit the dam reliably?
- Are the conventional warheads enough to actually destroy it?

A dozen missiles that can only cause superficial damage and miss half the time is one thing. 200 missiles that are 90% accurate at that range, with any one of them able to cause a complete failure, is another thing entirely.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:45:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Good idea. They need to field enough accurate missiles with the range to reach the Chinese mainland as to make any attempt by China to conquer Taiwan not worth the cost. Honestly, now that we have pulled out of the INF Treaty, we need to develop something like a conventional Pershing II theater ballistic missile and bring back the GLCM to compliment it. If China starts acting uppity, then deploy shitloads of these road mobile systems into every country in the western Pacific within 1100-1500 miles of the Chinese coast. If China wants to live by the theater ballistic missile, then let the son of a bitches die by the theater ballistic missile. It is also much less expensive to build transporter erector launchers for TBM's and GLCM's than it is to build ships that can carry such weapons. It is also easier to hide them.
View Quote

Yep... this is what I was saying in the covid thread, right as things where taking off.... aka war is coming with china and need to get with this and start shipping these to our friends in the Pacific most ricky tic. Nip this shit in the bud and make them stop and think.... Would put the Norks on notice as well if there was a bunch given to South Korea and Japan (and the Philippines and Taiwan as a Fu to china)... Like it might suddenly become a "friendly" neighborhood.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:45:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Likely a good idea.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:46:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Taiwan really needs a sub based deterrent. If I'm China, I might feel comfortable/confident that whatever retaliatory capability that manages to survive an initial strike could be knocked out in the boost stage by S-400 batteries parked near the coast.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:47:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

300 to 400 million folks downstream from that dam, iirc.  It would, also, cripple a large portion of their military industry.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:47:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

They just gotta ride this out, it is a short term setback for generational thinkers.

They have a plan.

Thanks to "the big guy" and the money spent getting him in the WH, they are poised to become the sole source of the USA's (and most of Europe's) energy needs. Solar panels come from China, electric car batteries come from China. Having us dependent on them to keep our lights on and nation mobile will be even more of a win then their current stranglehold on our manufacturing and consumer goods.

Next step will be monopolizing production of the Bill Gates pushed idea of lab grown meat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
3. Food imports rising

They have a plan.

You forgot about drugs a lot of drugs or thier components are manufactured in China.  

Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:50:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

And knowing the Japanese, it will have some cool name like "Flaming Godzilla".  
View Quote

I'm hoping for Nuclear Midwife for Tentacle Kaiju.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:51:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

good
fuck china
make the shit we need here.
(im a US mfg who competes against those rat bastards)
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:52:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

They do. There won't be any consequences from the US.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:52:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And knowing the Japanese, it will have some cool name like "Flaming Godzilla".  

Kaiju Hentai, maybe?  
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:53:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You forgot about drugs a lot of drugs or thier components are manufactured in China.  

View Quote

Kind of off-topic but the generic omeprazole I use is made in Israel.  I wouldn't have expected them to be an exporter of cheap pharmaceuticals but here we are.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:54:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Kaiju Hentai, maybe?  
View Quote

Radioactive Bukkake?

Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:55:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Now put nukes on them
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:55:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

So China lobs a nuke at Taiwan. What happens next?
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:57:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, y'all think China's economy is going to collapse because of a dam?

So many small minded people here, trying to flex into geo-politics. You dont think for a second that China hasnt already calculated the cost?

Oh and one other thing: If China's economy collapses, the entire modern world will enter an economic depression the likes of which will make the 1930s seem like a mild inconvenience
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:58:48 PM EDT
[#49]
We are currently in perhaps the most interesting period of world history. As that supposed curse says, "May you live in interesting times....."
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:59:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on who shot first.

If China does a pre-emptive strike then they're going to get some kind of retaliation in the form of dozens of Taiwanese missiles aimed at Three Gorges or possibly even US nuke missiles heading for the same place.

But that messes up China's plan for annexing Taiwan and getting its hands on their high-tech industry, so that's not going to happen.

If China retaliates for Taiwan hitting Three Gorges and turning the middle of their country into a floodplain then I don't see the US or anyone else nuking them back.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top