Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 11:18:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#2]
My Mom had an Audi 5000, remember those. Dad sold it when the mechanic informed him of an impending leak that cost a ton to fix during a routine maintenance visit. I have had friends who all had high millage VAG, BMW, or Benz all do the same thing. Trade it in right before a spectacular failure of ungodly amount to fix, by stopping at a Toyota, Honda,  or Subaru dealer.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Deserves a thread. Kyalami or Python are fitting for the hoon monster, but 2 years, you go bespoke or demand?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/IMG_1235_jpeg-3142885.JPG

Knowing you, you're all about this, but prolly the coolest thing on the car.

400/500 - it markets better in Europe. Hope you got the Trofeo R's.

View Quote

a great explanation of this system here.

Volkswagen's Clever Differential Allows For AWD Drifting - 2022 VW Golf R

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 12:06:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-_Dzd74GUE
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Deserves a thread. Kyalami or Python are fitting for the hoon monster, but 2 years, you go bespoke or demand?

Knowing you, you're all about this, but prolly the coolest thing on the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-_Dzd74GUE

Great Vid. Fenske does good stuff.

Magna's solution is a lot like GKNs Twinsters RDU, but a little better executed tho more dearly. Audi's market position and relationship with Magna prolly paid dividends here.

General but best link I'm able to provide.

https://www.gknautomotive.com/en/systems-and-solutions/all-wheel-drive-4-wheel-drive-systems/Intelligent-on-demand-all-wheel-drive-systems/

Magnas a bit more forthcoming. But generally public facing stuff isn't detailed

https://www.magna.com/docs/default-source/powertrain-storyboards/awd/product_storyboards_ds_awd_performax_rear_drive_module.pdf?sfvrsn=5ddfae14_2

Theres a lot of light tech coverage in various rags on both, mostly Euro. Unfortunately mostly sifted marketing speak and lacking technical details.

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My Mom had an Audi 5000, remember those. Dad sold it when the mechanic informed him of an impending leak that cost a ton to fix during a routine maintenance visit. I have had friends who all had high millage VAG, BMW, or Benz all do the same thing. Trade it in right before a spectacular failure of ungodly amount to fix, by stopping at a Toyota, Honda,  or Subaru dealer.
View Quote

Not the first time peeps mentioning other brands as paradigms of quality and faultless ownership.

Im about a fanboi'ish towards Toyota as any mfg, and I can run off a string of issues that would cause me to avoid certain models, engines, or years.

Honda - the recent issue with V6 blocks/ bearings, steering racks, hood recall, torque converter judder doesn't fit this characterization. I was happy to see Honda move to ZF slushboxes as a fix for decades of shit shifting - only to be reproached by a significant string of QM failures.

Subaru. . .thankfully Toyota has leavened the bread. Subie has some well deserved reputations for head gasket, turbos, and transmissions - esp CVTs. When you get feature articles and need to extend warranties to regain confidence (which Honda and Toyota have done in other situations), not the paradigm I'm looking for.

I'm not as sanguine on the lack of issues these non-Audi mfgs actually entail. Maybe because I have a very broad experiential base, including foreign brands and models the States fail to see. That said there's a statistical difference , but the gap wouldn't, and hasn't,  caused me to avoid  - outside JLR, Fiat and a few others, and some specific models from a wide set of mfgs. There's definitely a maint/repair cost bias, but there's also performance and feature to balance in return.

It's not all doom - hit CarGurus and search for German, Korean or any other supposed shit brand (Ok not JLR so much) , sort by highest mileage and be amazed at the number of 200-300-maybe 400k examples, for sale, today. It's better, but not remarkably so, esp some specific problematic systems.

https://www.thedrive.com/car-warranty/35585/subaru-cvt-problems

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 5:39:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Knowing you TZL, you're all about this, but prolly the coolest thing on the car.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know if they are good or bad, but I am fittin' to find out!!!

My RS3 is in build this week, should see it here end of may if lucky. It's been a two year process.

I am pumped!

You better post pix

Knowing you TZL, you're all about this, but prolly the coolest thing on the car.

Kemora Gray
Black interior with red stitching
Carbon package

Everything except the Dynamic Package - they took that off for 2024.
I wanted the Carbon Ceramics because I have a fetish for brakes, but Oh well. Trofeo Rs were only with Dynamic unfortunately.

Two year process is because of availability. Since they launched in 2021 there have only been about 1,700 total cars brought into the US.

I could either pay 20K over MSRP, or get on the waiting list with a deposit for allocation.... I did that.

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Kemora Gray
Black interior with red stitching
Carbon package

Everything except the Dynamic Package - they took that off for 2024.
I wanted the Carbon Ceramics because I have a fetish for brakes, but Oh well. Trofeo Rs were only with Dynamic unfortunately.

Two year process is because of availability. Since they launched in 2021 there have only been about 1,700 total cars brought into the US.

I could either pay 20K over MSRP, or get on the waiting list with a deposit for allocation.... I did that.

View Quote

Fucking brilliant,  fetish and all - sucks Dynamic, didn't realize. Looking fwd to the thread if you'd be so kind. Start a little infraction fund outta that $20k. . . Willpower only goes so far

Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:08:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My RS3 is in build this week, should see it here end of may if lucky. It's been a two year process.

I am pumped!

You better post pix

that looks like it would costs $20,000 from the Audi parts counter
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 9:27:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am pumped!

You better post pix

Well I am going to try and shove 800HP plus through it, so we are fittin' to find out.  
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:49:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do you live somewhere where you need AWD? Here it adds unnecessary expense for something that will never go off road.
View Quote

Funny you think AWD in a sedan is for offroad.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 11:02:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My dad had 2 A6's and a couple Q5's

2004 2.7T-sline
2012 3.0T Prestige(I think)

2015 Q5
2018 Q5

The only one he had trouble with was the 2004, but the others he got out of after a couple years. I really liked the 2012 A6, it was a really nice place to sit and drive.
View Quote

I own a 2004 A6 2.7T S-Line.  Two dealerships told me they no longer work on cars 10-years and older.  Better find an independent shop or DIY it.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 11:14:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

The lesbarus folks seem to think so. Especially with that joke of a transmission called a CVT.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 1:34:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The lesbarus folks seem to think so. Especially with that joke of a transmission called a CVT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? All of them I know are road goers including myself.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:23:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I am pumped!
View Quote

Ha! Badass!! I was on the list and got the call a year back…they wanted $20K over MSRP, and nothing to test drive…..told them to fuck off and went IS500 V8….(very comfy DD)….

So this Sunday-Thursday I finally get to test drive one
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:30:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The sensors are VERY accurate.  I've been wrenching on Euro for 20 years and I don't remember the last time I changed a faulty oil level sensor.  Ever had a dip stick break off in the tube?  I run into that a lot more than I run into faulty oil level sensors.

View Quote

This, I honestly don't ever remember a case of one failing.  Lots will go wrong on a euro car before oil level sensor fails
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 7:05:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/20210107_111343-630.jpg

Anyone that tells you that Audi is better than Lexus or even Infinishit is smoking crack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your post mentions that you’re the kind of vehicle owner to put quite a few miles more than average on a vehicle per day and you prefer to keep your vehicle for long periods of time. Notice how everyone keeps saying things like “I own one and love it! But they turn into trash at 100k miles…”? That should lead you to the correct answer.

If you want an Audi-level luxury vehicle that will last forever and be bombproof reliable, your options are Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti, in that order

You don't read well do you?

Read my first post in this thread. ~500,000 miles across 2 Audis currently owned. One is 14 years old. One is 21 years old. The 21 year old is my DD. 50+ miles a day. It sees snow every winter, broke trail in 24+ inches of snow a couple years back. It's been a great car.

From my experiences with Audi vs Acura, Lexus, BMW and Infiniti I'll take the slightly more maintenance intensive Audi for its reliability and enjoyment of driving.

My last car was a soulless jap. It was actually less reliable. The Audi is so much more comfortable to be in. A nice replace to be. Drove from Kentucky to Oregon without stopping to rest, only fuel. Was not excessively fatigued. I did drive 3 hours to Portland in my little Japanese commuter. I was whiped and dreading the drive home.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/20210107_111343-630.jpg

Anyone that tells you that Audi is better than Lexus or even Infinishit is smoking crack.

Toyoda bros take it real hard when someone rejects their offering of the ceremonial Kool-Aid.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Ha! Badass!! I was on the list and got the call a year back…they wanted $20K over MSRP, and nothing to test drive…..told them to fuck off and went IS500 V8….(very comfy DD)….

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126656/IMG_3311_png-3145646.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126656/IMG_3310_png-3145647.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am pumped!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126656/IMG_3311_png-3145646.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126656/IMG_3310_png-3145647.JPG

Nice!

What did you think? It's not a Porsche I know that.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Really? All of them I know are road goers including myself.
View Quote

Ever seen a Subaru commercial?

Ever been on ARF?

Just about every lesbaru fanatic I've talked to rants and raves about how amazing their lesbaru is off-road. It's not. It's an AWD car with no power.

The ones that don't make noise about it's off road abilities know it's just a gutless AWD car.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:42:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This, I honestly don't ever remember a case of one failing.  Lots will go wrong on a euro car before oil level sensor fails
View Quote

I think the oil level sensor is the only sensor I've had die on my 2003. Then the replacement had a bad seal and had oil coming out of the plug.

The 2010 did have the vacuum motor rip the actuator arm out of the intake flapper.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:09:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Nice!

View Quote

@TZLVredmist

I find out this Sunday! Renting it all next week while out of town!
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:55:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:20:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I asked the guy at ours if that was how Audi stood behind their product, he actually laughed.

Soured me on the brand, though I still love mine, I'll likely never buy another.
View Quote

Finding the right dealership is the key just like any other vehicle brand.

The dealer used for the 2010 rings and pistons covered the work outside of warranty and no cost to us. They even offered the solution with very little discussion.

On the flip side a buddy of mine has a 2023 Honda that the dealership is trying to deny a head gasket claim by putting some fuel into a water bottle and telling him the issue is water in the fuel. Even the dealership says the compression in cyl #1 is well outside spec.

Which dealership would you want to work with?
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Bought a used s5 a couple years ago
I've done nothing to it except oil changes
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#24]
I watched my father in law insist on driving Audi’s 40,000 miles a year. He was constantly complaining about the service cost not to mention they were basically toast at 48 months. I never understood the entire concept. $60,000 car at the time and essentially run it into the ground. I think it had something to do with his job in electronic parts sales. He was constantly on the road and all of his peers had nice cars. I told him more than once I would be driving a Camry.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The dealer used for the 2010 rings and pistons covered the work outside of warranty and no cost to us. They even offered the solution with very little discussion.

On the flip side a buddy of mine has a 2023 Honda that the dealership is trying to deny a head gasket claim by putting some fuel into a water bottle and telling him the issue is water in the fuel. Even the dealership says the compression in cyl #1 is well outside spec.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I asked the guy at ours if that was how Audi stood behind their product, he actually laughed.

Soured me on the brand, though I still love mine, I'll likely never buy another.

A good dealership franchise which has virtually nothing to do with brand.

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:23:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Nice!

View Quote

@TZLVredmist

So I really wanted to love this car and was almost certain I would, and I’ll continue to try….but I’m not sure I will lol.

Some random thoughts in order after 2 x 1.5hr drives yesterday….
Trunk fit 1 large suitcase and 1 carry on, nothing much more.
Seats are very nice, supporting.. but still comfortable.
Interior was lacking, lots of hard plastic. Where your right arm rests and left arm rests, both areas are not cushy, but hard. Sounds like I’m being a bitch, and yes, I am.
In normal mode, throttle response was horrible.
Immediately figured out how to switch to Dynamic mode, and did for the remainder of day.
After 30 or so minutes, found my foot/shin was getting fatigued. Positioned the seat back further, and brought steering wheel further out, but after an hour still very uncomfortable. To the point where I was doing everything I could to keep my foot off the gas pedal. It almost seemed like the gas pedal had about 1-2” more travel than any other vehicle I’ve driven. Never had this issue before. The design of the center console where your right leg rests, has an angle that protrudes out and is annoying/uncomfortable. I’m 5’ 10” 190#.
Radio/sound system is really good, absolutely love it. Nice bass tone.
From a stop, it has instant grip on launching. But from 5pm-20mph, when you stand on it, there is not a quick response. Turbo lag and throttle response is apparent.
Freeway pulls at 60mph+ standing on throttle, it gets up and goes very well.
Suspension is a great blend of not too tight, but not too comfy.
High speed corners at 80-100mph, suspension felt very confident, the steering, was completely off. It would take some getting used to, because there is a significant delay from driver input, to the front tires.
Overall, it’s a fun little car. It wouldn’t work for me as a daily or as dedicated track duty. I could see it working out for someone that wants a dual-purpose weekend track/daily driver.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:26:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

@TZLVredmist

I have a few opinions. Have no clue what anyone else thinks…..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice!

@TZLVredmist

I have a few opinions. Have no clue what anyone else thinks…..

Spill it!
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 3:10:13 AM EDT
[#28]
I had an A8 as a livery car when I was doing that for a living.  I believe to this day that it is the nicest car ever built by man, but holy shit you don't want to fix it when it breaks.  

Audi requires a factory warranty.  Anything else is madness.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 4:17:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Long time VW/Audi owner. I have had 5 of them since I was 20. Generally I drive them into the ground. I am driving a 17 year old one right now that looks new.

They are great cars to drive but when stuff breaks you dont want to go to the dealer. I think the dealer by me charges $250/hour now. I use a regular mechanic for plain mechanical things, electronic crap I do myself or goes to a German car place.

Keep in mind this is a German car so everything is over engineered. What an American car might use 2 bolts, Japanese will use 4, Germans will use 16 :) . I am not joking, everything is more complicated. They are expensive to repair but very satisfying to drive. Also they are built like tanks, thats not an exaggeration. I dont know what the Germans do to their steel but in their premium cars they are like vaults on wheels.

Go drive a Lexus NX, than go drive an Audi Q5 or BMW X3 and let me know which one you like better (that is if you care about driving). If you care about driving you will know the answer in a few minutes.  

If you just want an appliance to drive, than go buy Japanese.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 6:49:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

@TZLVredmist

So I really wanted to love this car and was almost certain I would, and I’ll continue to try….but I’m not sure I will lol.

Some random thoughts in order after 2 x 1.5hr drives yesterday….
Trunk fit 1 large suitcase and 1 carry on, nothing much more.
Seats are very nice, supporting.. but still comfortable.
Interior was lacking, lots of hard plastic. Where your right arm rests and left arm rests, both areas are not cushy, but hard. Sounds like I’m being a bitch, and yes, I am.
In normal mode, throttle response was horrible.
Immediately figured out how to switch to Dynamic mode, and did for the remainder of day.
After 30 or so minutes, found my foot/shin was getting fatigued. Positioned the seat back further, and brought steering wheel further out, but after an hour still very uncomfortable. To the point where I was doing everything I could to keep my foot off the gas pedal. It almost seemed like the gas pedal had about 1-2” more travel than any other vehicle I’ve driven. Never had this issue before. The design of the center console where your right leg rests, has an angle that protrudes out and is annoying/uncomfortable. I’m 5’ 10” 190#.
Radio/sound system is really good, absolutely love it. Nice bass tone.
From a stop, it has instant grip on launching. But from 5pm-20mph, when you stand on it, there is not a quick response. Turbo lag and throttle response is apparent.
Freeway pulls at 60mph+ standing on throttle, it gets up and goes very well.
Suspension is a great blend of not too tight, but not too comfy.
High speed corners at 80-100mph, suspension felt very confident, the steering, was completely off. It would take some getting used to, because there is a significant delay from driver input, to the front tires.
Overall, it’s a fun little car. It wouldn’t work for me as a daily or as dedicated track duty. I could see it working out for someone that wants a dual-purpose weekend track/daily driver.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126656/IMG_3363_jpeg-3149250.JPG
View Quote

Excellent!

Thank you!

Yeah some of your concerns I was already aware of. It's going to be a weekend hoon machine that will most likely get a bunch IROZ parts thrown at it. Much appreciate the feedback!
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:42:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Excellent!

Thank you!

Yeah some of your concerns I was already aware of. It's going to be a weekend hoon machine that will most likely get a bunch IROZ parts thrown at it. Much appreciate the feedback!
View Quote

You got it!
Drove another few hours today. I have dress shoes on today with a bigger heel, absolutely no funny foot issues. We were a lot of stops/goes though, so that might have helped.
One thing I forgot to mention, exhaust note. There’s isn’t any
Kidding, but it is pretty quiet. I’m a sound guy, and a tasteful exhaust would really help the driving experience, because when paddling through gears, what you can hear is beautiful. It’s begging to be amplified. Audi did a very special thing with that engine. It’s very similar to my 992S - when shifted, you get the exotic “poof” which I absolutely love.
An electronic valved exhaust would be installed the immediately after delivery, if it were me.

Oh, and I haven’t tried the rear drift mode yet - saving that until the end of my rental period, just in case the owner has tabs on me
I’ll report back Thursday.

A Tesla model 3 dual motor tried to pull from me kind of unexpectedly….after the car decided it wanted to go, it went - and the model 3 got closer
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Owned a 2012 A6 Quattro 3.0 supercharged since new

First 6 years no problems. Started burning oil about 100,000 miles (161,000). So far. Dealer and local service team couldn’t find where the oil was going ( a common thing with Audi). Spent $1200 and not fixed. 1 quart every 1000-1200 miles.  Now the check engine light always on for an emissions clog, adaptive lights broke  
On the plus side. Even with Ohio winter stilllpoks almost new!
I loved the car but now looking for next. Probably not an Audi.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 8:28:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126656/IMG_3363_jpeg-3149250.JPG
View Quote

What tires on the car?  Vague steering would be a deal breaker for me on a track car.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#34]
The Audi driving experience is really very good. Top notch. But, eventually, you will be reach the point of saying "FUCK THIS".
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 8:55:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Since I have gotten into the used car business, it seems that no matter what the make if you cant wrench yourself, just lease.

Every single brand makes shit TBH, but that shit doesn't normally shit out until over 150k

For example, you would have spent more money maintaining a Gen I 3.5 Ecoboost in a Expedition over maintaining and servicing a Mercedes GLE

At least when you are spending $ on that $3500 bill at the auto mechanic you are actually driving somthing nice and can flex on the poors
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Long time VW/Audi owner. I have had 5 of them since I was 20. Generally I drive them into the ground. I am driving a 17 year old one right now that looks new.

They are great cars to drive but when stuff breaks you dont want to go to the dealer. I think the dealer by me charges $250/hour now. I use a regular mechanic for plain mechanical things, electronic crap I do myself or goes to a German car place.

Keep in mind this is a German car so everything is over engineered. What an American car might use 2 bolts, Japanese will use 4, Germans will use 16 :) . I am not joking, everything is more complicated. They are expensive to repair but very satisfying to drive. Also they are built like tanks, thats not an exaggeration. I dont know what the Germans do to their steel but in their premium cars they are like vaults on wheels.

Go drive a Lexus NX, than go drive an Audi Q5 or BMW X3 and let me know which one you like better (that is if you care about driving). If you care about driving you will know the answer in a few minutes.  

View Quote

There's much fair here, tho at the price point of a Q5 and def X3 it's RX not NX. There's a noticeable difference but the RX still isn't compelling.

The segment leader which is compelling -  GV70. Drive one or a Macan.

If you don't have FIA creds everything is applianced, we're just arguing over degree

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 9:13:48 PM EDT
[#37]
I know nothing of Audi's but this song was annoying back in the day

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I know nothing of Audi's but this song was annoying back in the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqJDuZIcQ34
View Quote

Beat, on page 3

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:25:26 PM EDT
[#39]

Glad I’m not the only one who remembered that
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:53:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What tires on the car?  Vague steering would be a deal breaker for me on a track car.
View Quote

Sport 4’s - same as my IS500. It’s definitely not the tires. lol Not a tire pressure issue either.

I’m actually pretty confused. I hadn’t watched any deep/lengthy reviews of this car until today. I watched the ThrottleHouse review today, and they mentioned the steering was “numb” but didn’t mention any type of feedback delay. They actually said it was “precise”, which is completely opposite of what I’d describe. I’m not comparing this to my 911, but more of the IS500. I’ll toy around with different drive modes tomorrow for high speed corners, but I’ve used all modes so far. Maybe I’ll try to get a video….it’s different. You can tell it’s FWD/AWD biased in many low speed/start-stop scenarios, but when you’re going 80-100mph the high speed corners in RWD/AWD are somewhat similar if there isn’t a lot of throttle required to maintain speed. Even if the front tires on this thing are wider than the rear lol
Again, the suspension, even over expansion gaps at 100mph while cornering, was great. Didn’t throw the car out of place at all. It was the delayed steering input that had me most concerned.
ThrottleHouse mentioned something about Audi throwing a bunch of bandaids at it, and I’d agree to a certain point.
I believe the car indeed is fast, it’s like an STi on crack. If that’s what you’re looking for.
2023 Audi RS3 Review // Trick And Treat
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:34:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I believe the first sentence of what you quoted says just that.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:48:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

My other vehicle is a 38 years old Nissan pickup. Compare to that the Audi really isn't much more complicated. It has a lot of fasteners, it has more wires and plugs but it's all well layed out and easy to work on and keep tabs on. Not once working on either of the A4s have I said it was complicated. It's still a motor, just an air pump that required air, spark and fuel. If anything it's way easier to diagnose issues with VCDS. Makes my diagnostics time very short and confident.

Even doing shocks on my Audi is quicker and easier than the old Nissan. 4 bolts and one nut and the strut is out of the car and everything swapped to the new one.

It sticks to the road like a fly on flypaper. Never driven anything else that was so solid on the road. That said, my Audi makes the Corvette my coworker drives look big and mine is a station wagon but it does weigh 4000lbs. It's very much a vault on wheels. Very insulated from the outside world. On nice days I get to open the windows and hear the exhaust. It is very German muscle. It crackles and burbles too. I really like the sound of it. Cruising it is quiet and proper but when you get to drive a little spunky it turns up the volume, growls and crackles. No electronic wizardry or magic, no electronic flaps or valves, that's how it sounds. More or less right pedal modifies that.

Basically it's heavy, insulated, makes good noises and dammed does it handle like a station wagon shouldn't! I dread the day I have to find another daily driver. Hopefully it'll be another decade or better.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:50:01 PM EDT
[#43]
My wife has an RS3. I don't like it, too small. She only puts 3-4k miles on it a year.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:55:22 PM EDT
[#44]
My advice after a brief VW ownership experience:  make sure the dealer gives loaner cars while yours is being fixed under warranty
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 5:57:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My wife has an RS3. I don't like it, too small. She only puts 3-4k miles on it a year.
View Quote

It is small, but there are definitely smaller cars out there. But that’s what I love about it.  I’m 5’10”, wife is 5’5”….for us, this is a great sized car for a daily. I used to haul around clients often, now, almost never (which is why my daily is an IS500 - similar in size). Adults are never in my daily backseat. The wife’s extra-car is an Armada, soon to be GX550….we’d take that if we haul adults/lots of kids.
If you’re a large human, or haul other large humans, the A3/S3/RS3 probably isn’t the car for you.

We have an older 2014 GS350F my wife drives when she hauls both kids + friends, if she’s she’s not driving the SUV. The GS is bigger and more comfy. Kids are almost out of the house now, so the purpose of that car will be gone.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:58:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Sport 4’s - same as my IS500. It’s definitely not the tires. lol Not a tire pressure issue either.

I’m actually pretty confused. I hadn’t watched any deep/lengthy reviews of this car until today. I watched the ThrottleHouse review today, and they mentioned the steering was “numb” but didn’t mention any type of feedback delay. They actually said it was “precise”, which is completely opposite of what I’d describe. I’m not comparing this to my 911, but more of the IS500. I’ll toy around with different drive modes tomorrow for high speed corners, but I’ve used all modes so far. Maybe I’ll try to get a video….it’s different. You can tell it’s FWD/AWD biased in many low speed/start-stop scenarios, but when you’re going 80-100mph the high speed corners in RWD/AWD are somewhat similar if there isn’t a lot of throttle required to maintain speed. Even if the front tires on this thing are wider than the rear lol
Again, the suspension, even over expansion gaps at 100mph while cornering, was great. Didn’t throw the car out of place at all. It was the delayed steering input that had me most concerned.
ThrottleHouse mentioned something about Audi throwing a bunch of bandaids at it, and I’d agree to a certain point.
I believe the car indeed is fast, it’s like an STi on crack. If that’s what you’re looking for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvHEn4Q7ONk
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I understand it is currently the fastest compact around the ring.

I just love the sound of that engine, and I want one before they make it electric or some shit.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

steering feel is the lamest complaint of the automotive review world.

they all complain about it, its something that can't be quantified, its something that is muted on purpose because 99.9% of people don't want to feel every pebble in the road, giving them what they want in feel would give them complaints about noise and comfort.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:08:14 AM EDT
[#48]
No.

High cost, bad depreciation, and the maintenance makes this untenable compared to other offerings.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Audi is tarted up Volkswagens.  Both are owned by the VAG and they share parts.  Like when GM owned Chevy-Camero and Pontiac-Firebirds.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:57:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your question was a rhetorical affectation then?

Still having a reliable wrench (and developing that relationship) - whether indie or franchise - greatly improves ownership experience. Subtext of previous being, theres variation across brand franchises as well as amongst brands - with Lux franchises being no guarantee of  good practices - especially in specific Dealer Groups or Individual Franchises. After sales  and general satisfaction, in aggregate surveys, aren't much dissimilar between premium brands as mass market

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top