Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I went on a few dates with an Uzbek girl when I was younger, and at the time, socially inept.  She was pretty mellow and insanely fucking hot.  If only I had a clue at the time.

Link Posted: 7/3/2020 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

let me ask how long the quarterly leave is.  

let me make sure it's $12k euros + housing, transpo, per diem, prostitutes, beer, cigarettes, tacos, etc.
View Quote

As long as housing and transportation is included with per diem on top it sounds ok.

Make sure it’s decent housing. Not some complex on the job site housed with the common workers.

A decent apartment, condo, or gated compound in a decent area that’s not a ridiculous drive from the site.

I know nothing of the area in question. I’m just speaking in generalities based on prior experience.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Assuming the company is on the up and up and your conversations give you the warm and fuzzies, I’d seriously entertain that then.  I don’t know how much you make currently and how much you could make in an equivalent job here in the states, but sounds good to me.  I’d have to think, making that much money there would have you pretty high up in the food chain to afford almost anything you’d want.  For me personally, I’d live on the cheap as much as I could and save that money for when you get tired and want to come home.  

View Quote

Depending on his area of expertise and experience you can get similar pay stateside.

The huge benefits of going expat is tax savings and not really having living expenses.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 10:42:02 AM EDT
[#4]
They had some of the prettiest women I have ever seen. The local food was weird. I didn't see much slav squatting. The locals didn't seem to hate us too much. But we didn't get off base often, so your mileage may vary.

All in all, it wasn't a horrible place to visit.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#5]
With a shiny nickel you could retire...
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#6]
all I know...their potassium is inferior to one of their neighbors.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Doesn't really count as country knowledge, but I spent four months at Karshi-Khanabad...never went outside a circle about 1000 yards in diameter.

.Mil was concerned enough about the Muslim enclave down the road that we went armed until a couple of AF NDs and an Army suicide convinced them to pull all the weapons back into the armory. We were also under GO-1 (no alcohol), but a lot of the guys were buying beer from the local nationals. It made almost everyone that drank it deathly ill the next day.

All I got.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Borat thought Uzbekistan was Assholes....
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Doesn't really count as country knowledge, but I spent four months at Karshi-Khanabad...never went outside a circle about 1000 yards in diameter.

.Mil was concerned enough about the Muslim enclave down the road that we went armed until a couple of AF NDs and an Army suicide convinced them to pull all the weapons back into the armory. We were also under GO-1 (no alcohol), but a lot of the guys were buying beer from the local nationals. It made almost everyone that drank it deathly ill the next day.

All I got.
View Quote
In 2002 i was getting a 1/2 liter of vodka in Kyrgyzstan for 19 cents. I could rent a 2-3000 sq ft house that had a full size billiard room, indoor pool, and sauna for about $15-$20 an hour and girls were about $10-15 an hour. Being in my mid-20's and single over there was awesome.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

yessir.  all living expenses covered plus local taxes.

i'm on the hook for merican federal taxes and MT taxes, of course.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
12000 what? $ or pesos or som   10177 som/$

12000 euros/mo.  

'bout $13,500/mo merican.

Housing provided?

If I recall correctly, if you reside and work outside the US for a certain amount of the year, your US federal taxes are lessened. At least they were back about 10 years ago when I was thinking about overseas jobs.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 11:26:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Roads are shit, we shipped a bunch of equipment there, some ended up destroyed.   They just have no infrastructure.  Don't plan on an easy job.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#12]
OP can you cancel your contract at any time? if not, bail.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 11:33:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Climate is a lot like AZ.  

All of the shitty cultural traits of Russians + Muslims.  

The women are insanely hot.  Do not get attached.  They take the master of deception thing to a whole new level.  All of them can be bought and are looking for a way out.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 11:34:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Roads are shit, we shipped a bunch of equipment there, some ended up destroyed.   They just have no infrastructure.  Don't plan on an easy job.
View Quote

By what route?

Everything that ships Long distance is usually by rail.

Very little ships by road around those parts.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 11:37:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Look up foreign income tax exclusion. I believe you can exclude housing allowance as well. My experience is 14 years old, working in Iraq and being paid from a Dubai based company , it was complicated.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 11:45:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

As long as housing and transportation is included with per diem on top it sounds ok.

Make sure it’s decent housing. Not some complex on the job site housed with the common workers.

A decent apartment, condo, or gated compound in a decent area that’s not a ridiculous drive from the site.

I know nothing of the area in question. I’m just speaking in generalities based on prior experience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

let me make sure it's $12k euros + housing, transpo, per diem, prostitutes, beer, cigarettes, tacos, etc.

Glad you typed that last sentence. I was about to call you out.

Never seen a gated compound anywhere in Tashkent.

The safety folks for most companies and governments will also advise against apartments.

That being said, first place I ever lived there was an apartment, back in 2010. There are some nice apartments. Problem is the dubious construction standards and the remote chance of an earthquake.

But, as an expat being supported by a company and at that kind of pay, you should expect a nice private house with a courtyard. I went to a party at a Spanish dudes residence that was even in a whole planned subdivision with decent roads. Nice, no gate... but boring and no place to walk to. Not even ambassadors and big wig local heavies live in gated communities. It's just not a thing.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 12:58:28 PM EDT
[#17]
If you're single and have no kids/no family, now may not be a bad time to be out of the country for a little bit.

Quoted:

There is an excellent local medical and dental clinic for basic stuff, he definitely wants to toe into it. For more serious surgeries or what have you, he'll want to have a plan to fly elsewhere.

Legal anywhere can be tricky, and it's often hard to get a good assessment as people will weave their own narrative and deny any culpability. Somehow, despite the obvious role westerners play in prostitution, human trafficking, and drug trade, you never seem to be able to find one who was actually guilty, all were innocent angels railroaded by a system.

I know of one American an who had issues over prescription narcotics, it took a while to get that resolved, but it was resolved. Most of the other issues have been human rights protester types. Few on this board will have much sympathy for them. It's usually a "Muh Muslim dindu nuthin'" issue.

It's not a country whose legal system you want to experience from the inside. If that's a concern, you're pretty much limited to Scandinavia.

View Quote

Generally speaking, I would avoid engaging in any illegal activities in foreign countries, especially ones with unknown or questionable police practices and legal system. Getting arrested for narcotics or solicitation in a third world country would pretty much be a nightmare. You probably also don't want to get busted with an illegal weapon either.

If you want hookers and blow, you could probably get by in Amsterdam without too much trouble.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 1:05:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Uzbekistan has retarded deer.

Link Posted: 7/3/2020 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Interesting topic OP.

I’m also a CM and have been looking hard at leaving here for some overseas work. I don’t have any kids and I’m fucking bored with heavy civil work here in the states.

Generally what industry are you in?

Energy? Industrial?
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 3:05:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Caught up on the thread pay seems about right. It's been a few years since I've worked out of the country.  You should be able to work tax free and that's where the real benefit is.

From my experiences as an expat CM:
Expect to work long hours with few days off
The skilled labor probably won't be skilled
Forget about any concept of schedule that would apply here.

If you're only getting 3-4 trips home a year it should be in first class.
View Quote

10-4
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 3:06:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If memory serves...Ewan Mcgregor passed through there on his bmw in "the long way round"...might give a tiny bit of insight
View Quote

i loved "long way round."

they even came back through montucky.  close to where i'm at.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 3:07:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Assuming the company is on the up and up and your conversations give you the warm and fuzzies, I'd seriously entertain that then.  I don't know how much you make currently and how much you could make in an equivalent job here in the states, but sounds good to me.  I'd have to think, making that much money there would have you pretty high up in the food chain to afford almost anything you'd want.  For me personally, I'd live on the cheap as much as I could and save that money for when you get tired and want to come home.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
$12k a month?  You single/kids?  If I was single, I would take that just for the adventure point of it.  Family, no I'd wouldn't want to risk it.  

Granted it was a different time, but my grandfather was a part of team to help South Korea after the war to rebuild and establish farming.  He said while it was horrible, hated the food, hated being away from his family, he would have done it again in a heartbeat.  Said his work was rewarding and he was on the adventure of a lifetime.  Said most people were nice and friendly.  My experience in middle eastern countries over the years (tourist as I never served) was the general populations were welcoming.  Granted, they really wanted our money, still the people we talked to were all friendly and generally just wanted to converse with someone different.  Just like me.

$13.5k/mo merican money.

$12k euros/mo.

single.

no kids that i know of.  

Assuming the company is on the up and up and your conversations give you the warm and fuzzies, I'd seriously entertain that then.  I don't know how much you make currently and how much you could make in an equivalent job here in the states, but sounds good to me.  I'd have to think, making that much money there would have you pretty high up in the food chain to afford almost anything you'd want.  For me personally, I'd live on the cheap as much as I could and save that money for when you get tired and want to come home.  

be about a 50% raise without all expenses paid.  probably more like a 100% raise with expenses paid.  i'd have no recurring expenses in merica whilst working overseas.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Another question you need to ask is how is the medical system and legal system there in case something unforeseen happens like that Richard Gere movie in Beijing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some people regard Tashkent as the earthquake capitol of the world.

this could be problematic for what they're looking to build there.

great point so let me ask about that as well.

The whole city was about leveled by an earthquake in the 1960s. They have a pretty cool memorial built. The resultant new city is still known by some locals by the sector a given republic was assigned to help rebuild (Latvian. Ukrainian, Kazakh, Russian. Etc.). It could happen, but California might fall into the sea as well.

If it does, you don't want to be in or near one of those old Soviet gingerbread buildings.

holy shit.  

Another question you need to ask is how is the medical system and legal system there in case something unforeseen happens like that Richard Gere movie in Beijing.

good call.

let me add to the list of questions.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 3:08:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

There is an excellent local medical and dental clinic for basic stuff, he definitely wants to toe into it. For more serious surgeries or what have you, he'll want to have a plan to fly elsewhere.

Legal anywhere can be tricky, and it's often hard to get a good assessment as people will weave their own narrative and deny any culpability. Somehow, despite the obvious role westerners play in prostitution, human trafficking, and drug trade, you never seem to be able to find one who was actually guilty, all were innocent angels railroaded by a system.

I know of one American an who had issues over prescription narcotics, it took a while to get that resolved, but it was resolved. Most of the other issues have been human rights protester types. Few on this board will have much sympathy for them. It's usually a "Muh Muslim dindu nuthin'" issue.

It's not a country whose legal system you want to experience from the inside. If that's a concern, you're pretty much limited to Scandinavia.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some people regard Tashkent as the earthquake capitol of the world.

this could be problematic for what they're looking to build there.

great point so let me ask about that as well.

The whole city was about leveled by an earthquake in the 1960s. They have a pretty cool memorial built. The resultant new city is still known by some locals by the sector a given republic was assigned to help rebuild (Latvian. Ukrainian, Kazakh, Russian. Etc.). It could happen, but California might fall into the sea as well.

If it does, you don't want to be in or near one of those old Soviet gingerbread buildings.

holy shit.  

10-4
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Well I'm sure I'm in the 87% of idiots but I'm curious exactly who you're working for. You mentioned being paid in Euros so I'm assuming you'll be working for a European contractor. Who exactly is putting out the offer? An American hiring firm? European?

I'm just looking at it from a standpoint of you'll probably want to get out and experience the country in your down time rather than sit in your lodging. Maybe the officials have a "do not fuck with foreign contractors" order.

I'd just be up front with your questions

ETA I'm just basing my objective from seeing tourist documentaries of the area. They usually have some kind of "guide" in countries such as these
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd like to know how high up the chain the guy you're working for is.

I'm fairly certain that all of the former Soviet "stans" are quite oppressive and you might be in for a shock about the things you can/can't do or say. I'd be wary of privacy concerns such as bugs or video surveillance within your domicile

If your employer has good connections then you might get some leeway/protection from some things.

great question.  how do i suss that out when talking to the hiring folk?

Well I'm sure I'm in the 87% of idiots but I'm curious exactly who you're working for. You mentioned being paid in Euros so I'm assuming you'll be working for a European contractor. Who exactly is putting out the offer? An American hiring firm? European?

I'm just looking at it from a standpoint of you'll probably want to get out and experience the country in your down time rather than sit in your lodging. Maybe the officials have a "do not fuck with foreign contractors" order.

I'd just be up front with your questions

ETA I'm just basing my objective from seeing tourist documentaries of the area. They usually have some kind of "guide" in countries such as these

recruiter is merican.  general contractor is french.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 3:09:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It is highly dependent on work you work for and how you are paid. Are you living on the economy? I was @ Karshi K2 for a while. Flew commercial from Baghdad. There was live stock on the plane; chickens, goats, sheep The plane looked like it was held together with duct tape. Everyone clapped when it landed which is sort of a tradition in Eastern Europe but I think people were truly thankful it landed safely.

A buddy of mine loved the place. He lived on the economy and was given a nice per diem to compensate. He was a player and liked live sex clubs and doing generally degenerate things and there were plenty of sketchy shit to get into. He said when he went out he paid a taxi driver for the night and he would take him to only "the best" clubs. He also told me there were clubs that were to be avoided at all costs. Eventually the govt collapsed and all contractors were shuttled out to Dubai. When i arrived we stayed at a hotel initially but were not allowed to leave, then we took a shuttle to K2 and never saw the outside again. We were flown out .mil from K2.

At the time 2003ish, it was pretty cheap from what I was told. Weather was cold as hell as to be expected. It was heavy Russian/Mongol population fairly poor. I had to work with some soldiers and they were rough, undisciplined, and under paid. Having gold teeth was a sign of wealth, and poor dental health. The young women could be very beautiful. However if you had spent much time in eastern Europe you would know that at about 30 their looks go downhill fast. I knew a guy who married one, we all told him it was a mistake, but he wasn't an attractive guy and she was smoking so he wouldn't back down.I know he had to travel to Tashkent to do some embassy stuff, then he took her entire family out to some place on the Adriatic Sea. I think he went home broke, I know he came back to AFG once again when I was there, then had to leave with no notice which got him blackballed.

As I was leaving the Air Force got word to shut the camp down. They had just built and opened a big ass gym two weeks prior and began to ship out all the equipment.

Take a hard look at your contract and make sure you get the per diem rate if you are living on the economy. If you are working for kinfolk, brothers, and relatives you should be okay.
View Quote

thank you!
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 3:10:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I spent a lot of time working in Kyrgyzstan, Afghanistan, and a short stint in Uzbekistan.

I would see if it's a US based company like KBR, Fluor, IAP Worldwide, Dyncorp, etc. you'd be working for. If not i'd pass. If not you could easily get fucked out of a lot of money. Anything involving local companies and banks was always a fucking debacle with a lot of graft and corruption.

Most of the 'stans I consider "2nd world countries". They were fairly modernized under USSR but when it collapsed everything has slowly went to shit as far as infrastructure goes. Everything is very corrupt from the politicians to the companies, especially if it comes to getting bigger contracts. When I would go out in Kyrgyzstan I wouldn't bring my passport. I would keep some extra cash for the cops though. They would pull you over band basically want a bribe or they'd fuck your shit up. In the mid-2000s this bribe only came out to about a dollar so it's not like they were really putting the screws on you. There's a lot of drug trafficking and terrorism pass through in the 'stans as well. If you have any medical requirements make sure you bring your meds with you as you might not get what you need locally.

View Quote

thank you!
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 3:10:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I went on a few dates with an Uzbek girl when I was younger, and at the time, socially inept.  She was pretty mellow and insanely fucking hot.  If only I had a clue at the time.

View Quote

hey, i'm still socially inept.

don't feel bad, brother.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Make sure it's decent housing. Not some complex on the job site housed with the common workers.

A decent apartment, condo, or gated compound in a decent area that's not a ridiculous drive from the site.

I know nothing of the area in question. I'm just speaking in generalities based on prior experience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make sure it's decent housing. Not some complex on the job site housed with the common workers.

A decent apartment, condo, or gated compound in a decent area that's not a ridiculous drive from the site.

I know nothing of the area in question. I'm just speaking in generalities based on prior experience.

thanks!
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Sounds fun.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 3:11:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Depending on his area of expertise and experience you can get similar pay stateside.

The huge benefits of going expat is tax savings and not really having living expenses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

exactly.  no living expenses but i'm still on the hook for merican taxes (federal, SS/medicare, MT state, etc).
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 3:12:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
In 2002 i was getting a 1/2 liter of vodka in Kyrgyzstan for 19 cents. I could rent a 2-3000 sq ft house that had a full size billiard room, indoor pool, and sauna for about $15-$20 an hour and girls were about $10-15 an hour. Being in my mid-20's and single over there was awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All I got.

outstanding.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 3:13:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Climate is a lot like AZ.  

All of the shitty cultural traits of Russians + Muslims.  

The women are insanely hot.  Do not get attached.  They take the master of deception thing to a whole new level.  All of them can be bought and are looking for a way out.
View Quote

i'm a bad tooth hillbilly from montana.  probably a lot like russians.  

SMT has always been one of my favorite ARFCOMmers.  

thanks.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Look up foreign income tax exclusion. I believe you can exclude housing allowance as well. My experience is 14 years old, working in Iraq and being paid from a Dubai based company , it was complicated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks!
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 3:14:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If you're single and have no kids/no family, now may not be a bad time to be out of the country for a little bit.

Generally speaking, I would avoid engaging in any illegal activities in foreign countries, especially ones with unknown or questionable police practices and legal system. Getting arrested for narcotics or solicitation in a third world country would pretty much be a nightmare. You probably also don't want to get busted with an illegal weapon either.

If you want hookers and blow, you could probably get by in Amsterdam without too much trouble.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

why is this a good time to live outside merica for a few years?

i'm just in it for the money, really.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Interesting topic OP.

I'm also a CM and have been looking hard at leaving here for some overseas work. I don't have any kids and I'm fucking bored with heavy civil work here in the states.

Generally what industry are you in?

Energy? Industrial?
View Quote

electric power.  transmission lines, subs, heavy distribution, etc.

most of my work is for mines and industrial customers.  oil just took a shit in WY and mining is on its way out in merica.

fake plague bullshit in merica has made me think about rambling on for a couple years.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 3:17:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Is the net pay in addition to housing, or is housing subtracted from the 12,000?
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 3:20:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Is the net pay in addition to housing, or is housing subtracted from the 12,000?
View Quote

i need to clarify that but i read it as $12k euros/mo + local taxes + housing.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Picked up my harem manager there. She was about to be married off to a local official so she was happy to come to work for me instead. Amazingly hot female taught from birth to please a man too.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Picked up my harem manager there. She was about to be married off to a local official so she was happy to come to work for me instead. Amazingly hot female taught from birth to please a man too.
View Quote

so, uh, what does a harem manger do after you import one to merica?
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 3:27:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Recruiting, duh.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 3:31:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 3:41:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Ain't no way I'd spend time in a corrupt 3rd world shithole...

Best of luck to ya.  Dibs on guns and ammo when if you don't come back...
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Ask Giorgy about Uzbeks.

Link Posted: 7/3/2020 3:45:18 PM EDT
[#45]
It once spawned a great empire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timurid_Empire
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 4:07:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

exactly.  no living expenses but i'm still on the hook for merican taxes (federal, SS/medicare, MT state, etc).
View Quote

I’m not sure if the 330 day rule still applies or not. If you’re out of the US for 330 days your first $90K or so is tax exempt. If you can hit the days there’s a huge tax savings. Talk to a tax professional, I’m not up to date on the current rules.

I worked abroad before I had a wife/kids. It can be stressful and downright depressing at times. It can be hard to disconnect from work when your whole life revolves around your job. You have to remember to schedule and take downtime or you’ll burn out fast.

One more question to ask your potential employer is how and where do you report to. If your design team or management is working in from the home office what’s the difference in time zone? There’s nothing worse than phone calls at all hours of the night.

Link Posted: 7/3/2020 4:14:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not surprised about the French, before 2005 they were the biggest foreign presence there, but kind of got chased out. It was French archeologists digging up old Hellenic sites in and around Samarkand.

Housing will be key, as 4K a month for a house is not out of the question, and you don't want to be on your own figuring out maintenance and services. The company should support that as part of your housing benefit. If you are expected to pay that out of you salary, keep this in mind,

The wine and beer is incredible, but I can't speak for what life is like for a single guy, but the wife and I would readily take up a gig there and go back again.

COVID is making life there at the moment pretty unbearable, from what I'm hearing. So, you'd be walking into that clusterfuck.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 4:16:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If you end up going, first thing when you get there is find out where the American Embassy is and put them on your cell phone speed dial.
View Quote

Good advice, but don't bet the farm on them always helping you if/when something happens.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny story there but I've got a place in the country of Georgia these days. I only visit the states when on business these days. She takes care of a gaggle of girls that got dumped in my lap a couple years ago. It's a win win.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 4:27:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Physical Presence Test (IRS)

The other method is the "bona fide residence test", meaning, you have a residence visa. Unless your project is multi-year or goes badly over-schedule, that probably won't apply in your case. FEIE starter details.

I think you should go for it.

You should take the cautions from others under advisement, but if you stay away from certain stuff, you shouldn't have any trouble. You might be less entertained if you behave yourself, but at least your face won't wind up on a milk carton.

You should try to figure out the details about local taxation, housing, and transportation. That might or might not make a big difference on how far that salary level goes. Otherwise, expat or industry-specific forums should have more info on how to avoid local scams, what things should cost, etc. You should also check to see if your flights must go home, or their rules allow you to travel. Maybe you don't want to go all the way back to MT--will they still pay for it?

If you do go for it, then just enroll with the local embassy/consulate, and maybe go to their networking or social events. You might network your way into another good gig, or it might just be nice to be on a first name basis with someone in consular affairs. Those folks know exactly what works and doesn't work, and that may help you avoid problems.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top