Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/12/2014 6:20:50 AM EDT
I ordered one from AIM and have never shot one, held one, or seen on in person before....

What did I get myself into?
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:23:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:24:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:25:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're about to find out that you needed a Hi Power long before now.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=35970

View Quote

Dumb question of the day - what do you have attached to your barrel?
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:25:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I ordered one from AIM and have never shot one, held one, or seen on in person before....

View Quote

You got yourself into one of the finest fighting handguns ever.  Congratulations.
Remember to disconnect the magazine safety.

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:26:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

The finest 9mm firearm ever made

I'm guessing you got one of the surplus alloy framed ones Aim has, these are different from 'normal" steel framed HP's so I would check out the HP forums to see what ammo you can use. Other than that trigger might take a bit of getting used too, they have a mag safety installed that causes sloppy triggers 1/2 the time. You can take that out easy enough if its a problem.

have I mentioned the finest 9mm ever made
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:27:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You got yourself into one of the finest fighting handguns ever.  Congratulations.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/ZekeMenuar1/needpics-1.gif

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/ZekeMenuar1/needpics-1.gif

How do you disconnect the mag safety? (Or just hit up Google and start bubba'ing with the first link I find?)
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:28:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm guessing you got one of the surplus alloy framed ones Aim has, these are different from 'normal" steel framed HP's so I would check out the HP forums to see what ammo you can use. Other than that trigger might take a bit of getting used too, they have a mag safety installed that causes sloppy triggers 1/2 the time. You can take that out easy enough if its a problem.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I ordered one of the alloy frame ones AIM had.

I've never even seen a BHP in person in hundreds of trips to the local range.... is it comparable to a 1911 (albeit in 9mm instead of 45 ACP)?
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:28:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:29:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I can't watch the new TinTin without checking tangent-sighted HPs on GunBroker and then sighing in dismay as to why I don't just pony up the cash and buy one already...

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:29:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:31:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

How do you disconnect the mag safety? (Or just hit up Google and start bubba'ing with the first link I find?)
View Quote

It's really easy, and really improves the trigger pull.  This video is decent enough to get you through.

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:32:21 AM EDT
[#12]
The magazine safety is annoying. Runs like shit in environments with the tiniest bit of sand. Heavier than the SIG despite fewer rounds. Of course, my experience with them is from 60+ year old pistols. I suspect a recent model of modern manufacture is much nicer.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:34:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I loaned my double stack 40 to my brother in law.  It is his ccw and he loves it.

Not bad but not near my 1911.

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:34:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Tagged.  I ordered a alloy high power also.  Never even held one but I needed it.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:36:02 AM EDT
[#15]
You have gotten yourself into an excellent 9mm pistol with a less than stellar trigger. Clean, lube, shoot and repeat.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:37:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Some random questions:

1. Any good/recommended gunsmiths to work on the trigger?
2. Any good/recommended gunsmiths to mill the slide for dovetail sights?
3. Any recommendations for first time BHP owners?
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:38:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Best place for more mags?
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:40:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Some random questions:

View Quote

Send it to Novak.  

http://www.novaksights.com/customguns/BHP/index.html
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:40:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Some random questions:

View Quote

Don Williams of the Action Works, he is the best hi power smith working IMO.  Have C&S Hi Powers, a Novak and a Garthwaite.  None are as nice as what Don does.  He is currently working on a second one for me.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:40:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Best place for more mags?
View Quote

I ordered MecGar mags from Gregcotellc.com.

I have ordered mags from that site in the past and have no complaints. He ships fast and is a solid vendor.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:40:41 AM EDT
[#21]
The mag safety was already removed on this Argentine Hi-Power when I got it.

C- Series (1969)

MK III

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:42:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Just removing the mag safety usually improves the trigger sufficiently.

I've left mine intact, and I don't think the trigger's that bad even with it in place.

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:46:05 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

A new love affair.  They're great guns.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:51:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You're about to find out that you needed a Hi Power long before now.

GP Competitor:
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=35970

C Series:
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=8469

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=31703
View Quote

I approve of this message
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:55:07 AM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some random questions:

Send it to Novak.  

http://www.novaksights.com/customguns/BHP/index.html

+1

Do it!
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:55:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just removing the mag safety usually improves the trigger sufficiently.

I've left mine intact, and I don't think the trigger's that bad even with it in place.

<a href="http://s747.photobucket.com/user/MVolkJ1975/media/Milsurps/pistolsno2mki_zps1b168616.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx116/MVolkJ1975/Milsurps/pistolsno2mki_zps1b168616.jpg</a>
View Quote

I don't know why but that picture is like an optical illusion. The revolver looks like it's supposed to be tiny but it's huge, and vice versa for the Browning.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:56:18 AM EDT
[#27]
It may just be my favorite 9mm to shoot.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:00:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Awesome gun.

I sold a T Series (pro-tip... Don't do that) and now I only have an Argy.

I may buy ivory grips while it's still legal.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:04:46 AM EDT
[#29]
I really need to send mine to Novak....
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:08:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Don't shoot +P ammo in them.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:12:41 AM EDT
[#31]
I really like my Hi Power............I got one of the newer Practical models, and it's very accurate
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:16:08 AM EDT
[#32]
They're good pistols. There are more advanced pistols these days, but I wouldn't feel undergunned with a hipower. They have very small grips in my experience; I usually recommend them to people with small hands who want a full sized pistol.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:19:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I reload and do not load +P (my favorite loads are under max load, let alone overpressured maxes). I don't think that'll be a problem for me.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:19:12 AM EDT
[#34]
They are an awesome range toy and they show the brilliance of the patron saint of gun owners:  John Moses Browning.

They served (still serve?) the British military quite well - Prince Harry carried one in Afghanistan until his presence was leaked by the press and the recalled him to the safety of England.

As good as the 1935 is, the fact remains its a 1935 design.  An updated, better design with many of the same features is a 75 - or any variant/clone of the CZ-75.  

The original CZ 75 borrows a lot from the High Power; you can even try interchanging the barrels in the slides between a Hi Power and 75 to see that they fit exactly - but of course, the lugs/locking is completely different and they are NOT AT ALL INTERCHANGEABLE.  

Nevertheless, enjoy your Hi Power.  Be sure to use only QUALITY magazines:  OEM or Mec Gar.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:20:44 AM EDT
[#35]
I need another.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:21:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Just out of curiosity... was the strange Hi-Power trigger system (linkage in the slide connecting the trigger to the sear) used in any other guns?  I can't think of any.  Is it an evolutionary one-off?
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:24:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I need another.
View Quote

What he said

My current 3. Had a Augie couple years ago I kept meaning to trick out and sold it to finance a AR build, I figure I see another I like when I have the cash I'll get another
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:30:17 AM EDT
[#38]
If there is ever a time that warrants actually shooting someone in the face, your chances of doing it instinctively under stress will increase expotentially with a Hi-Power vs. most pistols

JMHO
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:30:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I reload and do not load +P (my favorite loads are under max load, let alone overpressured maxes). I don't think that'll be a problem for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're GTG!

I have used CDNN in the past for the MECGAR mags, the "rat trap" model that drops free reliably.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:34:23 AM EDT
[#40]
It's not as clumsy or random as a glock. An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:36:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's not as clumsy or random as a glock. An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age.
View Quote

Comparing anything designed by John Moses Browning to a Glock is wrong.

Browning invented guns, not exploding bricks.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:36:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Only the best 9mm ever made. OK, when you're done with it, it will be. The alloy-framed Hi-Power is a great pistol - it weighs about the same as a Glock 23, but is much easier to carry, thanks to the slimmer profile. No pistol ever made has a better feel in the hand, and the gun points naturally when drawn on target.

Once you get this one done, start looking for one of these:

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:37:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

One step closer to perfection.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:39:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I have used CDNN in the past for the MECGAR mags, the "rat trap" model that drops free reliably.
View Quote

Once you get rid of the stupid magazine disconnect any mag should drop free just fine.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:40:41 AM EDT
[#45]
You have a great pistol that simply feels like it belongs in your hand, will point naturally where you want it to point, is accurate and reliable.

And, with the addition of a adequate number of dollars, can be turned into a work of art.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:41:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Pic thread?

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:41:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Simple test pick out a small object and just pull up you glock/Plastic whatever point at it without aiming then look down sights, repeat this with the Hi-power.

Guns are defective you can always do a FTF with me to take it off your hands, I keep stacking them in the safe.

Custom one is a pre war, was already done when I found it.

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:41:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Great pistol. Too heavy and low cap for my tastes. I sold mine. Nothing wrong with them, just not for me.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:43:32 AM EDT
[#49]
It's my gun that I carry 90% of the time. Own lots of others but trust my life to this one. Other 10% of the time it is too large to carry where I go, so I have something a lot smaller.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:56:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Great pistol. Too heavy and low cap for my tastes. I sold mine. Nothing wrong with them, just not for me.
View Quote

Did you have a steel or alloy frame one?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top