Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:57:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Bought one off gun broker and am still waiting.  Cylinder & Slide is the name I hear a lot. http://www.cylinder-slide.com

The handgun tab has a Browning section.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:00:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Great pistol.  It's not made out of plastic, but it's thin and easy to carry unless you're a puss and use gummy Walmart belts.  It holds 14 rounds.  If thats not enough for you to survive with you're living a zombie apocalypse fantasy.  It's too much real gun for some people.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:02:37 AM EDT
[#3]
It was good enough for Serpico and Axel Foley.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:04:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I had an Inglis HP back about 15 years ago, wish I still had it. My LGS has had a circa 1974 HP on consignment for a while at a steep price, $750, finish is a little rough around the crown, and a little bit of spotting on the polished blue frame.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:05:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just out of curiosity... was the strange Hi-Power trigger system (linkage in the slide connecting the trigger to the sear) used in any other guns?  I can't think of any.  Is it an evolutionary one-off?
View Quote

The weird trigger system is because John Browning had to work around his own patents when he designed the Hi Power. He couldn't use the same system he used in the 1911 because the patent was still in effect so he had to come up with something different.

Later, when that patent expired, there was no reason for anyone to duplicate the High Power system, unless they were making a High Power clone.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:09:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I always loved the look and handling of the Hi power...until I owned a couple.  I have a competition pistol shooter for many years, and had trouble getting used to the way the trigger reset on the hi power.  So I got rid of them and never looked back.  I still think they feel great in my hand, love the looks of them, I just don't like the trigger reset.  That is a small criticism of an otherwise terrific pistol.  

There are too many other pistols that have triggers I do like, for me to deal with the hi power trigger.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:13:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I always thought Axel used a 1911?
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Best place for more mags?
View Quote

Mec-Gar from vendor of your choice.  I've had good luck buying from CDNN.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:19:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Did you have a steel or alloy frame one?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great pistol. Too heavy and low cap for my tastes. I sold mine. Nothing wrong with them, just not for me.

Did you have a steel or alloy frame one?

Steel in .40 S&W when I say heavy I mean heavy compared to my combat tupperware.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:21:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Comparing anything designed by John Moses Browning to a Glock is wrong.

Browning invented guns, not exploding bricks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not as clumsy or random as a glock. An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age.

Comparing anything designed by John Moses Browning to a Glock is wrong.

Browning invented guns, not exploding bricks.

Star Wars quote recognition Fail.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:23:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.  BHP.  I think there are some promo shots/movie posters where he has a 1911 though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:24:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I am going to echo what everybody else has already stated. The Hi-Power is the finest 9mm I have ever shot! It is so incredibly easy to pick it up, with little practice, and make quick accurate hits on target due to its superbly designed grip shape and angle.  

I have shot a lot of makes and models of 9mm's. Glock's, Beretta's, CZ-75's, Sig's, 1911's chambered in 9mm,   Tauras's and other misc. guns in 9mm, but I think I can honestly say that the Hi-Power is hands down the easiest to use proficiently.  I notice that when I take people to the range with me that have either never shot a handgun or have only shot them very little and give them a whole selection to choose and shoot with, most of those people do the best with the Hi-Power.

I have one and don't shoot it much. I carry a 45 1911 as my primary handgun and I have a Glock 19 that I use when I want to chew through a bunch of 9 at the range. However, my Hi-Power is the best 9 that I have ever shot.

Edited to add - the only negative I can really come up with about the Hi-Power is the risk of hammer bite to those who are unfamiliar with it. With a really high grip it is possible to get the webbing of the hand between the thumb and finger into a position where the hammer will pinch it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:35:22 AM EDT
[#13]
You should have/had purchased a G19, first.

Carried mine with each CO's written approval per MOS change '78-'86, USMC '76-'86.

She's going to to to http://www.garthwaite.com  for a trigger job, stippling, etc
and then off for an Ion Bond finish.

Yes, cocobolo grips and SlantPro Straight Eights are in the mix.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:36:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a T-series that had a very rough, gritty trigger pull. I noticed that, as the trigger is pulled, the magazine safety disconnect rubs on the front of the magazine near the feed ramps. The magazine had a slightly rough finish so I smoothed that small area of the magazine with some fine steel wool and it greatly improved the trigger pull.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:38:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:42:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's not as clumsy or random as a glock. An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age.
View Quote

I do believe that I have just found my new sig line...  
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:50:58 AM EDT
[#17]
You will find that Browning Hi-Powers are much like potato chips. Very expensive potato chips.

You can't stop at just one.

" />

(A view of my Argentinian, Hungarian, and Belgian HP's. Photo by Potato, as well.)
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:51:38 AM EDT
[#18]
AIM must have got some cancellations.  Showing 2 alloys in stock.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Very time I see one, I want to buy one.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:55:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

DO IT
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:57:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You will find that Browning Hi-Powers are much like potato chips. Very expensive potato chips.

http://<a href=http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af36/spot2spot/HPFamily_zpsa749acaa.jpg</a>" />

(A view of my Argentinian, Hungarian, and Belgian HP's. Photo by Potato, as well.)
View Quote

The one on the far left looks like it needs to go on a diet! The grip frame under the trigger looks like it suffers from Springfield Armory 1911 thick frame disease. Maybe it's just the lighting in the photo, but the grip frame looks fat underneath the mag release!
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 9:02:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Then you should buy one. The easiest way into to the BHP club is through Cole's Gunbroker auctions for the parkerized Israeli returns.  (Gary Cole goes by "CDIsales" on Gunbroker.)

An excellent condition all-matching Belgian goes for about $450, and prices (and conditions) go down from there. Cheapest way into the club? Consider one of the bargain basement priced FEG "Fake FN" HP's; excellent examples top out at around $250 on Cole's auctions.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 9:07:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The one on the far left looks like it needs to go on a diet! The grip frame under the trigger looks like it suffers from Springfield Armory 1911 thick frame disease. Maybe it's just the lighting in the photo, but the grip frame looks fat underneath the mag release!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a trick of the light, the front edge of the grip scale is almost indistinguishable from the parkerized frame, making the frame look fat. That's one of the problems with potato photography. (The triggerguards on the FEGs are slightly different in profile, though...)
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 9:12:34 AM EDT
[#24]
One of these days I'll start looking for a Rhodesian or South African marked HP...one of these days.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Great pistol. Too heavy and low cap for my tastes. I sold mine. Nothing wrong with them, just not for me.
View Quote

Mecgar makes a nickel 18 rounder if I am correct.. Seen adds for them
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 9:26:49 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af36/spot2spot/HPFamily_zpsa749acaa.jpg</a>" />

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 9:28:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

15 rounder, not 18.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 9:32:38 AM EDT
[#28]
I was in the same boat as the OP - never held one let alone shot one. Bough one in March.

A new Cylinder and Slide trigger will fix the mag safety issue

Here is mine - a FEG Hi Power. Under $300 shipped and transfered on gunbroker.
Came with black grips, these are $40 Hogue Rosewoods.
It is currently at a gunsmith for some upgrades now.
I also have a new Wolff recoil spring in it.

Greg Cote for mags
Don williams for trigger and sights - he quoted me $175 for supplying Heinie sights, milling the slide, and installation.

$6 book on amazon writen by a member here

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 9:34:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

15 rounder, not 18.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

15 rounder, not 18.

Oh rlyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Mec gar 18
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Mec gar 18
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

15 rounder, not 18.

Mec gar 18

Very interesting....

The Mecgar model # for that item is the same as the Mecgar 15 rounder (MGBHP15N). I'm really curious if what you get is actually capable of holding 18 rounds.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Very interesting....

The Mecgar model # for that item is the same as the Mecgar 15 rounder (MGBHP15N). I'm really curious if what you get is actually capable of holding 18 rounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

15 rounder, not 18.

Mec gar 18

Very interesting....

Doubt it - I'm tempted to call and ask .. # is for the nickel 15 , would be a game changer for me
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 9:40:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Doubt it - I'm tempted to call and ask .. # is for the nickel 15 , would be a game changer for me
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

15 rounder, not 18.

Mec gar 18

Very interesting....

Mecgar's website shows only 10, 13, 15, and 20 rounders. The 20 rounders are extended. The 15 rounders are flush fit (Mecgar does wonders getting more out of a flush fit than the OEM).

I'm having a hard time picturing a flush fit 18 rounder, but someone could probably make one with a grip extension sleeve.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 10:04:04 AM EDT
[#33]
I have some South African contract 17 round mags for the Hi-Power. Think they are marked KRD if I remember correctly. They are not flush fitting and not 100% reliable. Though i do have one out of five that seems to be reliable enough. That said, I stick with the MecGar 15 round flush fits for they have proven to be very reliable in my gun.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 10:06:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Star Wars nerds!
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 10:15:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What did I get myself into?
View Quote

The best full size single action carry gun there is.

congrats!
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#36]
The lightweights fully loaded weigh the same as the steel frame guns when empty.

Here's a LW I got last year.  New Heinie night sights, C&S trigger, safety, hammer, sear, fresh cerakote.  It's fun to shoot, even more fun to carry.

And the before picture:

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The lightweights fully loaded weigh the same as the steel frame guns when empty.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL615/4020916/23612160/407218523.jpg

Here's a LW I got last year.  New Heinie night sights, C&S trigger, safety, hammer, sear, fresh cerakote.  It's fun to shoot, even more fun to carry.

And the before picture:
http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL615/4020916/23612160/405800558.jpg

View Quote

I know this is exceptionally rude to ask, but....

How much did it cost you to take it from the before to after condition, and who did you use to do the work? Your build looks pretty much exactly like what I'd like to do to the one I ordered other than grip color.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

How much did it cost you to take it from the before to after condition, and who did you use to do the work? Your build looks pretty much exactly like what I'd like to do to the one I ordered other than grip color.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL615/4020916/23612160/407218523.jpg

And the before picture:
http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL615/4020916/23612160/405800558.jpg

I'm also interested - particularly the Heinie sights and how much those cost/who machined the slide and installed them
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#39]
You bastages keep costing me money!
Not like I need another HP, but this one is alloy-framed.
Screw it: I'm in.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You bastages keep costing me money!
Not like I need another HP, but this one is alloy-framed.
Screw it: I'm in.
View Quote

AIM had one left in stock earlier....
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 10:53:26 AM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some random questions:

1. Any good/recommended gunsmiths to work on the trigger?
2. Any good/recommended gunsmiths to mill the slide for dovetail sights?
3. Any recommendations for first time BHP owners?

Send it to Novak.  

http://www.novaksights.com/customguns/BHP/index.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_2/254980_Novak_Custom_Browning_Hi_Power.html

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 10:56:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Great guns, first standard semi-auto handgun I ever shot, and still probably my favorite.  Nothing quite feels like a high power.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#43]
I'd love to have the .40 CAL. version.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 10:58:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Epic Fail.

Why ruin a great thing?
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:02:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Epic Fail.

Why ruin a great thing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Epic Fail.

Why ruin a great thing?

lol, I agree
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:12:21 AM EDT
[#46]
I have a FEG.  Decent gun.  Depending on the style of hammer and the size of your hand you may get bit.  Triggers are typically so so with not a lot you can do about it.  The linkage is completely different than a 1911.  The sights may or may not be usable.  The stock, safety is on the small side.  The steel in the FN/Brownings tends to be on the soft side. A heavily used HP may be kind of loose.  The good thing is most used HP's aren't that heavily used.  

I've thrown a few parts at mine; C &S safety, Heinie sghts.  I like mine but I won't say it's may favorite.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:12:26 AM EDT
[#47]
If my beloved LW Commander ever goes belly up, a High Power IS the short list to succeed it
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:14:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had a 40 cal Mk III...notice I said had.  It was a nice gun, it went bang every time.  But mags were expensive and hard to find, and it was not very plesant to shoot.  The 9mm is much, much better.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I had a 40 cal -snip- the 9mm is much, much better.
View Quote

That is sig line material.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#50]

Look at that support-side thumb. S'gonna leave a mark!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top