Quoted:

AIM had one left in stock earlier....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
You bastages keep costing me money!
Not like I need another HP, but this one is alloy-framed.
Screw it: I'm in.

AIM had one left in stock earlier....

And now it's mine; as soon as my order was confirmed, it went to "out of stock".
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a FEG.  Decent gun.  Depending on the style of hammer and the size of your hand you may get bit.  Triggers are typically so so with not a lot you can do about it.  The linkage is completely different than a 1911.  The sights may or may not be usable.  The stock, safety is on the small side.  The steel in the FN/Brownings tends to be on the soft side. A heavily used HP may be kind of loose.  The good thing is most used HP's aren't that heavily used.  

I've thrown a few parts at mine; C &S safety, Heinie sghts.  I like mine but I won't say it's may favorite.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I have a FEG.  Decent gun.  Depending on the style of hammer and the size of your hand you may get bit.  Triggers are typically so so with not a lot you can do about it.  The linkage is completely different than a 1911.  The sights may or may not be usable.  The stock, safety is on the small side.  The steel in the FN/Brownings tends to be on the soft side. A heavily used HP may be kind of loose.  The good thing is most used HP's aren't that heavily used.  

I've thrown a few parts at mine; C &S safety, Heinie sghts.  I like mine but I won't say it's may favorite.

who milled your slide for Heinie sights?
What did they charge if you don't mind

Quoted:
And now it's mine; as soon as my order was confirmed, it went to "out of stock".

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:52:00 AM EDT
[#3]
VERY good info

Handgunsandammo HP Forum

1911 HP Forum

Get one. It will not stay lonely for Long.

Avoid internal extractor  models except for collecting.

Adj sight models, Mark II, Mark III have good sights.

C series VERY recommended!

Mec Gar mags feed HP´s even in older guns!

Get the  MecGar 13 and 20 rounders. The 15 are the 13´s, with a flimsier floor plate.

Enjoy!

Hermann
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:59:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I had a 40 cal Mk III...notice I said had.  It was a nice gun, it went bang every time.  But mags were expensive and hard to find, and it was not very plesant to shoot.  The 9mm is much, much better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd love to have the .40 CAL. version.

I had a 40 cal Mk III...notice I said had.  It was a nice gun, it went bang every time.  But mags were expensive and hard to find, and it was not very plesant to shoot.  The 9mm is much, much better.

I like the .40.
The BHP version is rare.  I like that, too.
Willing to give it a shot someday.
Appreciate your input, thank you.

When I first got 'into' guns, in 1992, a manager at a restaurant I was having lunch at saw I was reading a 'gun magazine'.
He came up and introduced himself, I told him I was a raw-assed rookie to the world of firearms, and he told me, "Get a Browning Hi-Power and don't look back!"
I now realize the wisdom of his comment...

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:06:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Was this deal advertised in a email notification?  I didn't see it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:09:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I know this is exceptionally rude to ask, but....

How much did it cost you to take it from the before to after condition, and who did you use to do the work? Your build looks pretty much exactly like what I'd like to do to the one I ordered other than grip color.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The lightweights fully loaded weigh the same as the steel frame guns when empty.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL615/4020916/23612160/407218523.jpg

Here's a LW I got last year.  New Heinie night sights, C&S trigger, safety, hammer, sear, fresh cerakote.  It's fun to shoot, even more fun to carry.

And the before picture:
http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL615/4020916/23612160/405800558.jpg

I know this is exceptionally rude to ask, but....

How much did it cost you to take it from the before to after condition, and who did you use to do the work? Your build looks pretty much exactly like what I'd like to do to the one I ordered other than grip color.

Accurate Armory in Lexington, KY did the sights and cerakote.  I fit the C&S ignition parts.  Cost?  It would be best to contact Keith at Accurate Armory for this info.  

The Heinie require more machining, but I do not like the sight picture of Novaks, so it was worth it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought the one above and liked it so much, I got another to keep as stock.

These are not part of AIMs recent offerings, I got both of these from somewhere in Tennessee better than a year ago.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Google it. I disconnected mine only to hook it back up again, i am a weird bastard.
Quoted:

How do you disconnect the mag safety? (Or just hit up Google and start bubba'ing with the first link I find?)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I ordered one from AIM and have never shot one, held one, or seen on in person before....

What did I get myself into?

You got yourself into one of the finest fighting handguns ever.  Congratulations.
Remember to disconnect the magazine safety.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/ZekeMenuar1/needpics-1.gif

How do you disconnect the mag safety? (Or just hit up Google and start bubba'ing with the first link I find?)

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:33:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Google it. I disconnected mine only to hook it back up again, i am a weird bastard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I ordered one from AIM and have never shot one, held one, or seen on in person before....

What did I get myself into?

You got yourself into one of the finest fighting handguns ever.  Congratulations.
Remember to disconnect the magazine safety.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/ZekeMenuar1/needpics-1.gif

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=133740

Start here: Removing BHP Magazine safety pictoral thread

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:37:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Local guy I use for all my work.  I want to say the sights were 75 or so and he charged maybe 50 to mill and install.  It was a pretty simple job.  I know the total bill was under 150 but I can't remember how much.  He also install the C&S safety a couple of years ago.  I don't think he especially enjoyed that project.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Great gun. I shoot a Beretta. But a Hi-Power (and CZs, because of my brother) does interest me.

Good pistols. Accurate. But the barrel life is pretty short. I've heard as low as 10k. Be weary of that, if the gun will be a serious shooter. I've heard that the cast frame Mk. III guns are better about it. But I'm not sure by how much.

Even with the best trigger work in the world, the trigger still has a barely tangible reset.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:49:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Great gun. I shoot a Beretta. But a Hi-Power (and CZs, because of my brother) does interest me.

Good pistols. Accurate. But the barrel life is pretty short. I've heard as low as 10k. Be weary of that, if the gun will be a serious shooter. I've heard that the cast frame Mk. III guns are better about it. But I'm not sure by how much.

Even with the best trigger work in the world, the trigger still has a barely tangible reset.
View Quote

Perfect reason to get a KKM or Bar sto
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 1:48:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 3:09:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Nice collection!
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Can't just have 1!

And while Aim is good check out Coles:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Pistols/BI.aspx?Sort=4&IncludeSellers=2621012

Tip, remove the mag safety and replace the trigger spring with a 2 coil wolf spring = a nice trigger pull with a good reset:
Stock No. 15071 - Standard Power - 2 coil design
http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/BROWNING/1935%20%28HI%20POWER%29/cID1/mID3/dID5#52
Note older Hi Powers had 2 coil trigger springs.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It was good enough for Serpico and Axel Foley.  
View Quote

And I've wanted one since I first saw Beverly Hills Cop when I was a kid.  Finally got one last year from Coles.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 4:45:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I carry my T Series regularly, when resting my Wilson 1911. It had an idiot scratch when I bought it and I'm a terrible collector anyway, so it gets plenty of range time and carry time. Great balance and my hands aren't real beefy, so hammer bite has never been an issue for me. For me it's easy to carry concealed and a joy to shoot.

I like Glock 9mms and would have no problem carrying one, but I just can't move away from a Hi Power.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Excellent sight for Hi-Power information.

http://hipowersandhandguns.com/

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 5:01:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Oh rlyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Mec gar 18
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great pistol. Too heavy and low cap for my tastes. I sold mine. Nothing wrong with them, just not for me.

Mecgar makes a nickel 18 rounder if I am correct.. Seen adds for them

15 rounder, not 18.

Oh rlyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Mec gar 18
The largest flush fit HP magazines that MEC-GAR makes is a 15 round,they also make 20's but they extend past the grip by about an inch.

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither of which changes the fact that BHPs are hard on the barrel lugs. I've heard of multiple match barrels (Bar-Sto) breaking at 15k or less.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:39:18 PM EDT
[#23]
British Trooper in Afghanistan.

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:41:17 PM EDT
[#24]
second greatest handgun ever made...greatest in 9mm...
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 3:19:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
British Trooper Prince in Afghanistan.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/1054424-3x4-700x933.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2014 6:02:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We're not good at spotting royals on this side of the pond.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 8:33:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

MOAR pics!
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 8:53:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Moar pics?

Okay- here's the 1961-ish FN marked BHP I just picked up from Cole's. This is a project gun, and after the minor pitting on the right side of the slide is stoned out, will either be professionally hot blued, or Cerakoted in midnight blue. (Have not yet decided which.)

There's just something about those internal extractor models that I love...

" />

(PS- this thing is definitely the best-shooting Hi-Power I have had yet!)
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 8:55:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Moar pics?

Okay- here's the 1961-ish FN marked BHP I just picked up from Cole's. This is a project gun, and after the minor pitting on the right side of the slide is stoned out, will either be professionally hot blued, or Cerakoted in midnight blue. (Have not yet decided which.)

http://<a href=http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af36/spot2spot/1962FNBHPaftercleaning_zpse32e5aee.jpg</a>" />

View Quote

How long ago did you get that from Cole's?

I keep looking at his auctions and thinking about grabbing a second Hi Power.... even though my first one hasn't even arrived at my FFL.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 9:05:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I keep looking at his auctions and thinking about grabbing a second Hi Power.... even though my first one hasn't even arrived at my FFL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Moar pics?

http://<a href=http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af36/spot2spot/1962FNBHPaftercleaning_zpse32e5aee.jpg</a>" />

It arrived this past Friday (after a slight delay from my FFL dealer.) If you are looking for a affordably-priced Hi-Power, you simply cannot go wrong with Cole's.

Link Posted: 5/13/2014 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#31]
First Let me tell you where I'm coming from in regard to the Browning Hi-Power. I was a proud owner of a Mark II, the late '80s upgraded model of the original Hi-Power with the ambidextrous thumb safeties, nylon grips, 3-dot sights, and throated barrel. I had the gun 'smithed by none other than the renowned Jim Garthwaite in the mid 90's.
So, while I no longer own that gun, I feel very qualified to comment on the BHP and some of it's severe limitations.
-----------
The Pro's

The grip feel and pistol profile are excellent. It has a nearly universal gripframe size and shape that can work with many different user hand sizes.

The guns are usually highly reliable out of the box. Highly. Good magazine design and newer guns digest most hollowpoints.

Easy takedown.

Accuracy tends to be good but not great.

Cons

Weak barrel lug prone to shearing which is why the guns have a 2-piece barrel. It is actually a strengthening measure to use a steel with opposing grain structure from the tube. This is why Bar-Sto aftermarket barrels are also two piece.

Lame ass trigger-Perfectly adequate for a combat pistol but hard to refine for precision shooting. The entire trigger linkage on the BHP is an abomination unto the eyes of the Lord. Depending on which book of the Apocrypha you believe, it's either an evil Frog meddling with JMB's design, or a near-death JMB having to design around his own patents. Not even Pedersen ever designed a linkage so Byzantine!

Slide and frame tend to loosen quickly and because of the sear linkage system; you will see or feel the slide move when you pull the trigger. Its a fact of the design.
A frame rail insert system would benefit the P-35.

No steady diet of +P ammo in the BHP. Seriously.
----------

I'm sorry if I hurt some feelings here. I don't mean to denigrate the Hi Power; it is very much a viable defensive pistol, especially by those willing to dedicate sufficient training time on it. At the current Hi Power street price point of the upper $800s to over $1,000, and the virtually mandated immediate action job to get rid of the inordinately heavy, gritty triggerpulls; means the BHP up front cost is more than you initially bargain for.

I liked the BHP for many years, but now I moved on. Moved on to what you ask? Something in the tupperware aisle? No! John Moses Browning's other design, the 1911 in 9mm
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 9:51:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
First Let me tell you where I'm coming from in regard to the Browning Hi-Power. I was a proud owner of a Mark II, the late '80s upgraded model of the original Hi-Power with the ambidextrous thumb safeties, nylon grips, 3-dot sights, and throated barrel. I had the gun 'smithed by none other than the renowned Jim Garthwaite in the mid 90's.
So, while I no longer own that gun, I feel very qualified to comment on the BHP and some of it's severe limitations.
-----------
The Pro's

The grip feel and pistol profile are excellent. It has a nearly universal gripframe size and shape that can work with many different user hand sizes.

The guns are usually highly reliable out of the box. Highly. Good magazine design and newer guns digest most hollowpoints.

Easy takedown.

Cons

Weak barrel lug prone to shearing which is why the guns have a 2-piece barrel. It is actually a strengthening measure to use a steel with opposing grain structure from the tube. This is why Bar-Sto aftermarket barrels are also two piece.

Lame ass trigger-Perfectly adequate for a combat pistol but hard to refine for precision shooting. The entire trigger linkage on the BHP is an abomination unto the eyes of the Lord. Depending on which book of the Apocrypha you believe, it's either an evil Frog meddling with JMB's design, or a near-death JMB having to design around his own patents. Not even Pedersen ever designed a linkage so Byzantine!

Slide and frame tend to loosen quickly and because of the sear linkage system; you will see or feel the slide move when you pull the trigger. Its a fact of the design.

----------

I'm sorry if I hurt some feelings here. I don't mean to denigrate the Hi Power; it is very much a viable defensive pistol, especially by those willing to dedicate sufficient training time on it. At the current Hi Power street price point of the upper $800s to over $1,000, and the virtually mandated immediate action job to get rid of the inordinately heavy, gritty triggerpulls; means the BHP up front cost is more than you initially bargain for.

I liked the BHP for many years, but now I moved on. Moved on to what you ask? Something in the tupperware aisle? No! John Moses Browning's other design, the 1911 in 9mm
View Quote

Thanks for the info.

I'm okay with a $250 hi power, $150 sights, $100 paint, & $150 internals
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 1:11:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Bump for more pictures while many of us wait for our BHPs to arrive.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
-----------
The Pro's

Easy takedown.

Cons

----------

View Quote

I wouldn't fire very much +P in a MK1 / II steel frame or Alloy frame Hi Power. Should have no problems shooting +P in the post 93 cast frame MKIII Hi Powers as FN switched to cast frames specifically to handle 40 SW ammo which is a +P round.

Really how much +P ammo does the average non-LEO shooter shoot? A mag of a defensive ammo once a year?
The majority of my 9mm shooting is cheap FMJ.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 3:17:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I wouldn't fire very much +P in a MK1 / II steel frame or Alloy frame Hi Power. Should have no problems shooting +P in the post 93 cast frame MKIII Hi Powers as FN switched to cast frames specifically to handle 40 SW ammo which is a +P round.

Really how much +P ammo does the average non-LEO shooter shoot? A mag of a defensive ammo once a year?
The majority of my 9mm shooting is cheap FMJ.
View Quote

I shoot a mag or two of commercial defensive ammo per handgun/mag/box of ammo combo. Once it has been tested, the rest doesn't get shot until it starts showing its age.

Reloaded 9mm 115gr JHP.... thousands and thousands and thousands per year.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#36]

I've had a few....  My current one.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#37]

Duck You Sucker.........wildly underrated and unknown movie.

If you have large hands like I do the Hi Power will draw blood with a nasty hammer bite.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
second greatest handgun ever made...greatest in 9mm...
View Quote

I've heard that it was John Browning's favorite (and last) design.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 3:30:32 PM EDT
[#39]
The Hi Power as we know it was mainly the work of JMB's son Val and Dieudonne Saive. JMB's original Grand Rendement concept was a very different pistol - it was striker-fired.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 5:20:43 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2014 5:41:04 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 5/13/2014 5:52:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Hello

My name is BWood

I am a Hi Power addict.

I currently have three Hi Powers

I thought that by coming here...I would be able to face my problem.  I was wrong.  

I need to buy more now....

thanks to the OP for me sliding down this slope

Link Posted: 5/13/2014 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#43]
pichers!

Link Posted: 5/13/2014 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#44]
My favorite pistol.  Mag release safety removed, feed ramp improved, upgraded spring set, and trigger job.  It makes one hole.  Unbelievably controllable in rapid fire, and I can put about 10 out of 13 on a paper plate at 50 yards in less than 10 seconds.  Welcome to the club.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 8:45:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just another equal to me.  Men are just men in the US.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 5/14/2014 7:02:28 AM EDT
[#48]
You will find out that the magazine safety creates a horrible trigger pull.  And if your slide to frame fit is loose, as you pull the trigger the mechanism will raise the slide up as you fire.  Mine was accurate, fed reliably and was bought used.  Traded it for some furniture, never looked back. ymmv
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 7:06:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 7:07:45 AM EDT
[#50]
The Canadians still use them in AFG. I was pretty happy to see that. Awesome pistol.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top