Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 18
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#1]
"Boy...9 years is along time to get to Pluto.  How many astronauts are on that thing anyway?"

I overheard this over the weekend .

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#2]
There's something about missions such as New Horizons that I don't understand.  Instead of doing a "fly-by" where we hurtle by at mind-numbing speeds, hoping to capture some good info as we zoom by, why don't we insert into orbit and stick around?  With the amount of time and effort it takes to get there, I'm assuming there's a technical reason we don't do that.  I would venture to guess that it has something to do with fuel since decelerating likely takes a lot of it, but that's just a non-rocket scientist's guess :)

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There's something about missions such as New Horizons that I don't understand.  Instead of doing a "fly-by" where we hurtle by at mind-numbing speeds, hoping to capture some good info as we zoom by, why don't we insert into orbit and stick around?  With the amount of time and effort it takes to get there, I'm assuming there's a technical reason we don't do that.  I would venture to guess that it has something to do with fuel since decelerating likely takes a lot of it, but that's just a non-rocket scientist's guess :)

View Quote

It takes a lot of fuel to put mass up there.  If you want to add more mass to the pay load... such as fuel and rocket engine to slow it down into an orbit... You need exponentially more fuel to get that off the ground.

I'm pretty sure we didn't have a rocket powerful enough at the time of launch to do it.  The SLS currently under development for the new NASA crew capsule might be capable.  That means we still aren't yet capable of doing it.  Or such a mission might require several launches and assembly in orbit.   Either way doing such would have cost a whole heck of a lot more.

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

I asked myself the same questions, and I stumbled across this Reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/3c5vu3/why_is_new_horizons_going_to_flyby_around_pluto/

Buried in there is a link to a proposal for a mission to Pluto leaving in 2016 and arriving in orbit in 2033, but at this point it's only a proposal.  I didn't read it in depth, so I'm not sure if the technology in there exists today.

http://www.esa.int/gsp/ACT/doc/PRO/ACT-RPR-PRO-ISTS2004-Pluto.pdf

I don't pretend to understand all of the the astrophysics, but intuitively it makes sense that we can get there relatively quickly and zoom on by or relatively slowly and insert a ship into orbit.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

It takes a lot of fuel to put mass up there.  If you want to add more mass to the pay load... such as fuel and rocket engine to slow it down into an orbit... You need exponentially more fuel to get that off the ground.

I'm pretty sure we didn't have a rocket powerful enough at the time of launch to do it.  The SLS currently under development for the new NASA crew capsule might be capable.  That means we still aren't yet capable of doing it.  Or such a mission might require several launches and assembly in orbit.   Either way doing such would have cost a whole heck of a lot more.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That reminds me of something else I've often wondered.  Seeing has how lifting large amounts of material off the ground is difficult, why don't we lift small amounts, assemble in orbit, then leave on the actual mission from there?  If we can build ISS, we can build a bigger/better vessel to do the kind of work New Horizons is doing it would seem.

Maybe I watch too much Star Trek lol.

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That reminds me of something else I've often wondered.  Seeing has how lifting large amounts of material off the ground is difficult, why don't we lift small amounts, assemble in orbit, then leave on the actual mission from there?  If we can build ISS, we can build a bigger/better vessel to do the kind of work New Horizons is doing it would seem.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get a game called Kerbal Space Program.  It's not 100% accurate but gets a lot right (and is fun) and one thing it gets right is the problems of assembly in orbit.

To put it simply... it's a structural problem.  Each joint is a weak spot where thing will flex and bend.  The larger rocket you have... the larger structurally rigid object you can put up there in one shot.  This means less joints and thus proportionally larger thing you can build.  

Then there is the cost analysis.  Each time you launch a rocket you're throwing away most of it.  5 small launches are more expensive than 1 big one...  But it costs a lot in R&D to make that large rocket.  If you make it then your future plans will cost less and be better.  If you don't build it then you only have the multiple launch method.  And that limits you.

Then there is the difficulty and time involved in multiple launches.  Each launch carries the chance of something going wrong in a big boom kind of way.  Your space craft has to wait in orbit for long periods of time as new pieces are launched and connected.  The longer it's up there the longer various things are running and wearing out.  

In the long run it's better to have a big rocket.  In the short run... you make due with what you have and what Congress will give you funding for when they aren't wasting 10 times your entire budget on free phones for Shaniqua.  

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 7:32:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here's a great video explaining it.  Plus, the girl is hot and smart!

http://youtu.be/O6BBgLGgB7g
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 7:54:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google Amy Shira Teitel.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 8:23:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Too bad we can't drop into orbit around Pluto.

Hopefully we can reach some KBOs that make it worth the fly-by.
View Quote

Orbits are really hard to achieve when you lack enough atmosphere to aerobrake. And it only gets harder the smaller and further out you are. (Pluto beats all the other planets in both of these categories)
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 8:34:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She has an awesome channel.

I've been a subscriber for about a year now. Her videos don't get the view counts they deserve.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw95T_TgbGHhTml4xZ9yIqg
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I've been a subscriber for about a year now. Her videos don't get the view counts they deserve.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been following her for about a month now.  Great vintage space stuff. Right up my Apollo fixation.

Her instagram account is great too.  

She's got a great sense of humor.  

You're right.  She should have way more view counts.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 10:45:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I've been following her for about a month now.  Great vintage space stuff. Right up my Apollo fixation.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What a coincidence.  I just discovered her videos yesterday, and now she's being talked about on this thread.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 11:13:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 8:11:31 AM EDT
[#14]
NASA's media briefing for the New Horizons approach is 8:15 EST on their home page. http://www.nasa.gov/
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 8:23:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's awesome.

Growing up, I always pictured Pluto being a pale blue, like glacial ice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's awesome.

Growing up, I always pictured Pluto being a pale blue, like glacial ice.

I think that is how most of us pictured it, I'm glad this was only one of its surprises
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 12:02:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 2:08:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 10:36:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Only one new closeup of Pluto, a pretty cool shot of Charon and a blob of pixels for Hydra?  If so, call me underwhelmed.  I was hoping for at least a few pics of Pluto after all the build-up.

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 10:54:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Only one new closeup of Pluto, a pretty cool shot of Charon and a blob of pixels for Hydra?  If so, call me underwhelmed.  I was hoping for at least a few pics of Pluto after all the build-up.
View Quote

The data transmission rate is very low that far out, they expect it'll take about 16 months to transmit everything it took in that few hours.  We'll be getting a lot of very nice pictures, just be patient.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 11:21:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The data transmission rate is very low that far out, they expect it'll take about 16 months to transmit everything it took in that few hours.  We'll be getting a lot of very nice pictures, just be patient.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I know.  I just feel like a kid who woke up on Christmas morning and found only three presents under the tree.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 12:18:14 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Oh, I know.  I just feel like a kid who woke up on Christmas morning and found only three presents under the tree.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Instead we woke up on Christmas and discovered that it is 16 months long.

Link Posted: 7/16/2015 12:31:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:36:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Let my membership lapse so I could concentrate on preparing for my final defense.

I missed this thread.

Now I'm done, so I'm back.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#28]

NASA's Nuclear Spectroscopic Telescope Array has been orbiting Earth since its launch in 2012, mostly using its highly sensitive equipment to pick up the X-ray output of objects like black holes and supernovas, located thousands of light years from Earth.

In this composite image released Wednesday by NASA, the data collected from NuSTAR has been combined with images from Japan's Hinode spacecraft and NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO). NuSTAR captured high-energy X-rays, shown here in blue; Hinode captured low-energy X-rays, shown in green; and SDO grabbed images of extreme ultraviolet light, rendered here in yellow and red. NASA says all the images were taken around the same time on April 29.

It's possible that the telescope could help observers pick up hypothetical nanoflares -- eruptions that would be one-billionth the energy of regular flares and that could be a reason why the sun's atmosphere is hotter than previously thought. There's also a "slim chance" the telescope could detect a dark-matter particle called the axion.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 2:27:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:37:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 7:23:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Stumbled on Carl Sagan's original Cosmos.

If you ignore the non-english subtitles then this is a SCORE!
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 10:19:53 AM EDT
[#33]

That's fucking awesome.  I haven't had much time to post in GD, let alone find stuff for this thread lately.  Oh well, maybe soon.

Link Posted: 8/10/2015 10:20:17 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote
Been looking for that, thanks.

Link Posted: 8/10/2015 1:31:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Saturn Surprises

"Cassini keeps revealing puzzling phenomena in the Saturn system that challenge traditional theories and date estimates. Let’s scour the Saturn system for news, working from the planet outward."

http://crev.info/2015/08/saturn-surprises/

Seriously, Ceres and Comets Look Surprising

"Here are surprises found at asteroid Ceres and Comet 67P by spacecraft arriving there this year."

http://crev.info/2015/08/ceres-comet-67p-dawn-philae/

Magnetic News

"Magnetism is an important force in astronomy, planetary science and life. Here are news items involving magnets and magnetic fields."

http://crev.info/2015/08/magnetic-news/
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 2:10:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!  (shame there are sooooo many commercials tho
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Let my membership lapse so I could concentrate on preparing for my final defense.

I missed this thread.

View Quote
What's your degree in?  

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Going on a date tomorrow with a feisty liberal hippie astronomy teacher.  I may have lost my mind.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 8:26:40 PM EDT
[#39]
I bet you will hit it off.  Bring your A game, she most likely pretty smart.

Says the guy with the undergrad astronomy degree....
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 9:06:48 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I bet you will hit it off.  Bring your A game, she most likely pretty smart.

Says the guy with the undergrad astronomy degree....
View Quote
I'm sure it will go well.  Just got done policing up the loose ammo in my truck.  Don't want her to get the wrong idea lol.

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Went well.  Back to astronomy, tidbit from the gal: http://www.iflscience.com/space/planet-found-orbiting-two-stars-habitable-zone

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#42]
That place has to have some odd seasons and possibly really strange weather patterns like Jupiter or Saturn.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 2:40:46 AM EDT
[#43]
The planet may not be habitable, but it could certainly have satellites that are habitable.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:51:01 AM EDT
[#44]
So a few weeks back I gave a little lecture on Stellar Evolution at the library as part of a summer STEM program.  The kids loved it.  I was so concerned that I would bore them to tears.  Instead they were engaged and astounded to learn things they don't get taught in a school science class.  I kept it simple with lots of pretty pictures and stuff for them to hold and see (I took my dob with me and they thought the mirror was the neatest thing).

I also put a lazy susan bearing on my dob, super easy and less than $10; a major upgrade for hand trackers like me.  

Pics From my Instagram account.  

My Dob upgrade (bearing on base)

Me talking to the children at the library.

Obligatory AR15 pic, I a built this one from the stripped upper and lower.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

What's your degree in?    
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I missed this thread.

What's your degree in?    
Engineering.

No, nothing cool (in terms of this thread).  Just practical (boring for most normal people actually).

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:13:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:11:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:05:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
We have the best interns!!

Pluto Fly By By

https://youtu.be/7bpWaB39Vv8
View Quote

Now where is that "like" button again.

Do you work at JHU?

And to think I get excited when I get to teach kids stuff and you get to zip past Pluto...  I would need some depends if I worked there or JPL.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:15:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:35:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Newest high resolution images from New Horizons have been made public:

New Horizons Images

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/Multimedia/Science-Photos/pics/Spherical-Mosaic-9-10-15.jpg
View Quote

out fucking standing
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top