User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Place your bets ladies and gentlemen

Tesla faces major hurdles living up to the Model 3 hype. The 500,000 vehicles Tesla vows to produce next year are nearly six times its 2016 production.

Tesla's share price has surged 54 percent since January in anticipation of the Model 3 launch, and Tesla's pricey valuation now exceeds that of traditional rivals like General Motors Co and Ford Motor Co.  
View Quote
Only 499,970 to go.  Musk is fos.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#2]
The end of the tax subsidies will mark the beginning of the end for Tesla.  It's still too dangerous to short the stock though, because it doesn't trade like any normal company.  It has a cult-like following of true believers who think Musk is the Edison of our time or something.  It will take a LOT of failure before they jump ship.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:22:08 AM EDT
[#3]
That's fine
Probably the same bulshit people smelled when they said I didn't have a tesla until I had to post pictures with certain things on the web browser.

I have an office in Newland nc, Burnsville, spruce pine, sylva, and Cherokee.
Shouldn't be too hard for local folks to find me. I spend most of my work time in sylva and spruce pine. Red tesla model s in the parking lot.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:22:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not too late to short it.
View Quote
Or to hedge your long position with some puts.  At today's prices you can hedge every $335 share of Tesla all the way to bankruptcy for a cost of $7.37 worth of puts.  It's cheap insurance and covers you for the next critical 18 months.  Tesla is an insane stock to be either long or short in.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:26:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's fine
Probably the same bulshit people smelled when they said I didn't have a tesla until I had to post pictures with certain things on the web browser.

I have an office in Newland nc, Burnsville, spruce pine, sylva, and Cherokee.
Shouldn't be too hard for local folks to find me. I spend most of my work time in sylva and spruce pine. Red tesla model s in the parking lot.
View Quote
That's AWSOME.

You do sound like the sort who would own a Tesla; and there's also that screen name of yours too.

I hope you enjoy your Tesla.

Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:28:15 AM EDT
[#6]
When it gets right down to it, even though internal combustion cars are horrendously inefficient, the price of gas is so cheap that it's hard to beat

a gallon of gas has an incredible amount of energy and it's priced lower than fancy drinking water is.

hard to beat 115,000 BTUs for $2.50

regarding tesla:

it might be going bankrupt but so was apple and amazon

shit happens

but the future is all mysterious and cloaked in fog
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:32:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
When it gets right down to it, even though internal combustion cars are horrendously inefficient, the price of gas is so cheap that it's hard to beat

a gallon of gas has an incredible amount of energy and it's priced lower than fancy drinking water is.

hard to beat 115,000 BTUs for $2.50

regarding tesla:

it might be going bankrupt but so was apple and amazon

shit happens

but the future is all mysterious and cloaked in fog
View Quote
Neither Apple nor Amazon required government subsidies and/or mandates to facilitate sales.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:35:56 AM EDT
[#8]
"Tesla will be bankrupt any day now..."

Why is arfcom so bitter towards successful people?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:36:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Neither Apple nor Amazon required government subsidies and/or mandates to facilitate sales.
View Quote
You don't know what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:45:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In that case, since the cars are selling so damned well, end the government buyer tax credit subsidies immediately.

Why should some working class schmoe have to subsidize the purchasers of what you, yourself, admit are "luxury cars"?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tesla sells more large luxury cars in the US than any other manufacturer, and GD thinks they have a problem with demand.  Their problem is trying to scale production at insane levels, not with getting people to buy their cars.
In that case, since the cars are selling so damned well, end the government buyer tax credit subsidies immediately.

Why should some working class schmoe have to subsidize the purchasers of what you, yourself, admit are "luxury cars"?
Ugh, seriously, it's for the planet man, save the planet, Mother Gaia weeps because of the internal combustion engine and shit .
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#11]
So tesla might make most of their money on the mid sized car?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:52:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/articles/technology/technology/2017/04/170424_TECH_Musk-InsaneIdeas.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

View Quote
Because without govt tax breaks and other assistance he'd be bankrupt by now?  Even with all that shit they're losing money on every car that rolls of the line.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:52:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/articles/technology/technology/2017/04/170424_TECH_Musk-InsaneIdeas.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

View Quote
Mostly because our tax dollars have made him rich beyond our wildest dreams.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

He was rich beyond most of our wildest dreams before Tesla. How many of us use PayPal over in the EE?

Quoted:

Because without govt tax breaks and other assistance he'd be bankrupt by now?  Even with all that shit they're losing money on every car that rolls of the line.

Link Posted: 7/29/2017 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
let capitalism work without my tax dollars and then the bitterness will disappear
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
true

but never the less, the predictions of impending doom are always premature
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Silly chart
We are fine with subsidies for companies and products we like and not for others.
I know there are going to be people that post they don't want subsidies at all but there are no threads railing against those companies and people that complain about tesla subsidies will buy products from those others on the list without batting an eye.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Tesla faces major hurdles living up to the Model 3 hype. The 500,000 vehicles Tesla vows to produce next year are nearly six times its 2016 production.

Tesla's share price has surged 54 percent since January in anticipation of the Model 3 launch, and Tesla's pricey valuation now exceeds that of traditional rivals like General Motors Co and Ford Motor Co.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Science Channel is running an episode on the efficiency of the Tesla Fremont, CA factory. (Previously NUMMI)
Going into detail how robots and other technology have made the plant very efficient.

Tesla started production with 1,000 workers. By 2013, this had risen to 3,000, and to 6,000 people in June 2016.
On August 3, 2016, Tesla announced that it was consistently producing 2,000 vehicles per week at the end of Q2 2016
Under GM/Toyota management.

Until the facility's closure in April 2010, 4,700 workers were employed.
In 1997, NUMMI produced 357,809 cars and trucks, peaking at 428,633 units in 2006.
I'm not sure of the Science Channel infomercial math, but when did 25% more workers producing 75% less cars become a model of efficiency?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 12:17:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

let capitalism work without my tax dollars and then the bitterness will disappear
View Quote
You do realize the Tax Subsidy is largely people reducing their own personal tax liability, right?

They're not taking $7500 from the tax that cyborg543 paid in, and direct depositing to Elon Musks checking.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 12:18:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
In about eight years when you have to replace the batteries, you are looking at anywhere between $14,000-$18,000 according to most estimates I have read. That will be a bitter pill for the $35,000 market to swallow.
View Quote
 Basically like everything else it's disposable.
With Americans having an average longer commute why in the world clean diesel technology has never caught on amazes me.

I want a portal geared independent 4 motor electric F250 with an Onan diesel generator keeping my batteries topped off.
And I want the government to subsidize it lol!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 12:40:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You do realize the Tax Subsidy is largely people reducing their own personal tax liability, right?

They're not taking $7500 from the tax that cyborg543 paid in, and direct depositing to Elon Musks checking.
View Quote
.Gov allowing Tesla owners to reduce their tax liability is fine by me. I think even the biggest rube on GD can acknowledge that fossil fuels aren't the future in transportation. Helping consumers purchase an innovative product that could help move America forward is Capitalism at its finest. Helping Tesla make that product and stay solvent is a completely different story. They need to get the ship righted or they will fail and hopefully the next "Elon Musk" will invent or be innovative enough to make the idea profitable. Subsidizing Tesla's failure's isn't going to encourage them to figure out an answer or look in a new direction.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 12:41:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
negative CA is going to bail them out....
View Quote
How can CA bail Tesla out when CA has $90 billion in unfunded pension liability?

You could tax the CA people at 100% and still not make a dent.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 12:43:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I remember when that was in effect... Every other damn car you saw was a Nissan Leaf going 15 under in the left lane..

Now? You see one maybe once a week. They evaporated.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ok
So tesla has 400,000 preorders
Let's see how many cancel
The credit in the US will be gone by the s of the year most likely
How many do you think are going to cancel their orders?
We will see
I was told tesla would be out of business in 2014
Then 2015, then 2016,
I was told the stock would be sub 100$ by this point

My firm does 10,000 tax returns
I can tell you that a fair number of people can't even use the credit
A very high number of them can't use the whole credit.
You have to have at least a 7500$ tax liability.
We will see
So far all of the tesla naysayers have been wrong
All of them.
I still think it's 50/50 depending on reliability of model 3
Institutional holders own a bunch of the stock
They think tesla is here to stay
View Quote
Prediction of when the Tesla tax credits will expire says:
"Scenario A:
If the ramp up goes really well (and Elon's tweets were overly cautious) and there is no stockpiling, and/or sales of MS's and MX's are increasing by much more than 10% per quarter, then 200K will be hit sometime in Q4-2017, and the credits are as follows:

$7,500 Federal Tax Credit from Car #1 through 03/31/18
$3,750 Federal Tax Credit 04/01/18 through 09/31/18
$1,875 Federal Tax Credit 10/01/18 through 03/31/19
No Federal Tax Credit after 03/31/19

Scenario B: (My current projection)
If the ramp up goes per Elon's tweets and they stockpile, or the ramp is slower than Elon's tweets and/or sales of MS's and MX's do not increase by much more than 10% per quarter, then 200K will be hit sometime in Q1-2018, and the credits are as follows:

$7,500 Federal Tax Credit from Car #1 through 06/30/18
$3,750 Federal Tax Credit 07/01/18 through 12/31/18
$1,875 Federal Tax Credit 01/01/19 through 06/30/19
No Federal Tax Credit after 06/30/19"

The federal $7500 credit carries over for two quarters after the 200k is hit, then ramps down. It is not an immediate cut off at car #200,001.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:01:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Liberal uses tax money to prop up a company's sales (and they still suck)?

Real question is why people fall for his derp and constant goal post moves.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:09:35 PM EDT
[#26]
On several of the issues the bottom line seems to be that some people like tesla some don't.
Many don't like the IDEA of tesla.

People that own them generally think electric cars are "there" people that don't like the IDEA of tesla think they are not.

People that don't like the IDEA of tesla use a lot of the "feelz" in their argument i.e. Longevity of the battery despite evidence to the contrary. (Google 200,000 mile tesla and witness the taxi company that drove people back and forth from LA to Vegas daily and put 200000 miles on the car in short order with minimal battery degradation)

That story in and of itself is a fair argument that electric cars are "there".
That's a 550 mile round trip (or commute if you want to look at it that way)
They did it daily and people paid good money for the ride.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:11:56 PM EDT
[#27]
While not nearly at "Twentieth Century Motor Car Corporation" levels of hinky, and I do believe we are witnessing the future of personal travel, this is an example of business supported solely by other people's money.

ETA: I think Tesla's largest drawback is the E.Musk's penchant for the limelight. He likes being a rockstar and that draws good and bad attention to Tesla's operations.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:45:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
On several of the issues the bottom line seems to be that some people like tesla some don't.
Many don't like the IDEA of tesla.

People that own them generally think electric cars are "there" people that don't like the IDEA of tesla think they are not.

People that don't like the IDEA of tesla use a lot of the "feelz" in their argument i.e. Longevity of the battery despite evidence to the contrary. (Google 200,000 mile tesla and witness the taxi company that drove people back and forth from LA to Vegas daily and put 200000 miles on the car in short order with minimal battery degradation)

That story in and of itself is a fair argument that electric cars are "there".
That's a 550 mile round trip (or commute if you want to look at it that way)
They did it daily and people paid good money for the ride.
View Quote
Nice shill account
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 2:17:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Or to hedge your long position with some puts.  At today's prices you can hedge every $335 share of Tesla all the way to bankruptcy for a cost of $7.37 worth of puts.  It's cheap insurance and covers you for the next critical 18 months.  Tesla is an insane stock to be either long or short in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not too late to short it.
You're right.  Puts are the way to play Tesla.

The stock's going to drop when the loss is announced this week.  So many people are buying puts, they're too expensive for me. 
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 3:13:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
The tax subsidies are only part of the story.  Tesla wouldn't be here today if government mandates didn't force their competitors to buy $hundreds of millions$ in EV credits from them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 3:30:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ok
So tesla has 400,000 preorders
Let's see how many cancel
The credit in the US will be gone by the s of the year most likely
How many do you think are going to cancel their orders?
We will see
I was told tesla would be out of business in 2014
Then 2015, then 2016,
I was told the stock would be sub 100$ by this point

My firm does 10,000 tax returns
I can tell you that a fair number of people can't even use the credit
A very high number of them can't use the whole credit.
You have to have at least a 7500$ tax liability.
We will see
So far all of the tesla naysayers have been wrong
All of them.
I still think it's 50/50 depending on reliability of model 3
Institutional holders own a bunch of the stock
They think tesla is here to stay
View Quote
I don't own Tesla stock, and I'm not going to bet on it one way or the other.

But I'd be curious to know how many of the naysayers shorted the stock in 2014, 2015, 2016, or 2017.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The tax subsidies are only part of the story.  Tesla wouldn't be here today if government mandates didn't force their competitors to buy $hundreds of millions$ in EV credits from them.
View Quote
What are you talking about?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 3:37:07 PM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't know what you're talking about.
Words have meaning.

Your reading comprehension is.....lacking.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 3:46:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
You're forgetting the Model Y, the truck, the semi, the new roadster and solid state batteries that will substantially lower the cost of vehicle batteries and power walls.

Even though it appears the company is on a cash burning, death spiral, there's a whole lot of people on this planet that want to buy Tesla products.

Most people that buy the Model S & X are millionaires and the $7,500 tax credit means nothing to them.  If it did, luxury vehicles wouldn't sell at all.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You're forgetting the Model Y, the truck, the semi, the new roadster and solid state batteries that will substantially lower the cost of vehicle batteries and power walls.

Even though it appears the company is on a cash burning, death spiral, there's a whole lot of people on this planet that want to buy Tesla products.

Most people that buy the Model S & X are millionaires and the $7,500 tax credit means nothing to them.  If it did, luxury vehicles wouldn't sell at all.
View Quote
Tax credits of $7500 mean plenty to millionaires, and the fact that other luxury vehicles are selling without those direct to purchaser subsidies  doesn't speak at all for your side of the argument.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 4:05:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What are you talking about?
View Quote
Pardon me, ZEV credits.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 4:07:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Tax credits of $7500 mean plenty to millionaires, and the fact that other luxury vehicles are selling without those direct to purchaser subsidies  doesn't speak at all for your side of the argument.
View Quote
Yep, millionaires are usually the tightest people you'll come across, it is isn't coincidental.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Tesla sells more large luxury cars in the US than any other manufacturer, and GD thinks they have a problem with demand.  Their problem is trying to scale production at insane levels, not with getting people to buy their cars.
View Quote
Really, because I live in the wealthy DFW suburbs and I never see a Tesla?  MB's BMW, Caddy, Audi are everywhere.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Range on the semi?

Like, right now, confirmed tech right now range, not "maybe in 20 years they can- " Range?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#40]
He's betting on the long run and trends in politics and regulations but you have to wonder if he will make it that long, also the major manufacturers will soon take up the cause.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Range on the semi?

Like, right now, confirmed tech right now range, not "maybe in 20 years they can- " Range?
View Quote
A fully loaded diesel semi can get 5-6mpg on diesel so the electric can't have much range unless it is carrying 60k lbs of batteries. Weight is a huge deal in semis because you are stuck with 80k lb gross vehicle weight limit in most cases. Every pound of vehicle weight reduces cargo capacity by a lb. Drivers are not cheap so you want them moving as much cargo as possible at one time.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 4:52:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Range on the semi?

View Quote
Musk won't say.  But he does say that it "handles like a sports car" of course.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
He's betting on the long run and trends in politics and regulations but you have to wonder if he will make it that long, also the major manufacturers will soon take up the cause.
View Quote
I think VW and Toyota will kill Tesla long term. GM and BMW will help drive a few nails into that coffin too. That is if electric cars take a significant market share. If they don't Tesla is obviously toast. I suspect battery tech will never be viable for this type of use. Fuel cells are probably the real future of transportation. Fossil fuels will still be in wide use for another 50-100 years too.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:23:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
My argument is that you're making my argument.  If the cost of luxury vehicles mattered to rich people, rich people wouldn't buy them.

Whether a P100D costs $120,000 or $127,500 doesn't matter to rich people. It's the status symbol price that rich people are willing to pay...
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:42:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My argument is that you're making my argument.  If the cost of luxury vehicles mattered to rich people, rich people wouldn't buy them.

Whether a P100D costs $120,000 or $127,500 doesn't matter to rich people. It's the status symbol price that rich people are willing to pay...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'd be amazed what I'd do for a $7500 tax CREDIT.

It's a hell of an inducement;  which is why it's being offered to facilitate sales.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With what money?  The Y is being designed with a different chassis and drive train from the 3.  That means a new factory, since Freemont wont hold another assembly line.  It means another line's worth of robots.  It means all the engineering work for designing the chassis and drive train needs to be done again.  The Model 3 assembly line isn't even complete.  Where is Tesla going to find the money to build out the infrastructure to make the Y?  Remember, they're $18B in debt, burning $1B-$2B per year in just operating expenses, make no profits, their credit terms are tightening, interest rates are rising, and the automotive market appears to be at or near a cyclical top.  All the proposed spending to bring the 3 to market, and then the Y, all comes from new debt.

If you think you can answer that, then answer it again for the Semi, and again for the pickup.

Any advance in battery technology will be enjoyed by all the manufacturers.  Tesla buys all of its batteries from Panasonic.  It has no competitive advantage in batteries.  The same with Power Walls: they're a highly commodotized product, with the bulk of it built by Panasonic, and with no competitive advantage.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who want to buy a Tesla.  That's not translating into sales.  Model S sales are flat for 7 quarters, and Model X for 4.  The demand has plateaued and the S is six years old; it desperately needs a refresh, but that would require more CAPEX that Tesla can't afford.

We can argue over who is buying the cars, and why, and what effect the expiration of the $7500 US federal tax credit will have.  We wont agree, and it will be a fruitless argument.  I simply look to the three most recent places where government incentives to buy Teslas have been removed.  In all three cases sales cratered.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:04:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

A fully loaded diesel semi can get 5-6mpg on diesel so the electric can't have much range unless it is carrying 60k lbs of batteries. Weight is a huge deal in semis because you are stuck with 80k lb gross vehicle weight limit in most cases. Every pound of vehicle weight reduces cargo capacity by a lb. Drivers are not cheap so you want them moving as much cargo as possible at one time.
View Quote
Frito-Lay Lay uses electric trucks for local deliveries here, see them all the time at grocery stores.  It is a box truck not a semi, and I imagine a truck full of potato chips is nowhere near the weight capacity.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:14:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Now Tesla is saying the Model 3 with options will be priced up to $60,000.  There aren't going to be many buyers for a Prius sized car at that price. 
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Now Tesla is saying the Model 3 with options will be priced up to $60,000.  There aren't going to be many buyers for a Prius sized car at that price. 
View Quote
LURCH!!  I Knew you would be in here!
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If there's money to be made in a topic, you can count me in! 
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top