Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#1]
This is Elon Musk releasing some of the negative news in order that he not go to jail.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I want an electric car that performs well in double-digit below zero temperatures, has all-wheel-drive, can be driven off road, tow at least 5000 pounds, and has at least 300 miles range and can be recharged in remote locations in the middle of nowhere Wyoming.
View Quote
Don't forget recharge time has to be 5 minutes or less.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 6:51:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Someone good at math? How many cars would Tesla need to sell to actually turn a profit based on current debt, MSRP per unit, excluding future operating costs. Ballpark...
View Quote
It's impossible to say for sure because so far, to date, Tesla has lost money on every car they have ever sold.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
yep.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:26:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I believe he announced on Friday that they have over 500,000 model 3s on pre order. 
View Quote
The press has tried to figure that out  analyzing external indicators, as well as directly challenging Tesla about that claim.

Elon Musk has been absolutely silent on how many of those 500,000 reservations were cancelled and what the present number of reservations are.

2 August is Tesla earnings, and it will be interesting to learn how much inventory is sitting on lots.

Finished goods (cars on the ground appears to be around 1.14 billion/76 day supply)  That's a lot of unsold inventory collecting dust and costing Tesla much needed cash.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:35:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The press has tried to figure that out  analyzing external indicators, as well as directly challenging Tesla about that claim.

Elon Musk has been absolutely silent on how many of those 500,000 reservations were cancelled and what the present number of reservations are.

2 August is Tesla earnings, and it will be interesting to learn how much inventory is sitting on lots.

Finished goods (cars on the ground appears to be around 1.14 billion/76 day supply)  That's a lot of unsold inventory collecting dust and costing Tesla much needed cash.
View Quote
1.14 BILLION, fuck yes that's a shitload of cars  
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:49:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Prototype builds like this among OEMs are almost always done in secrecy.  You know what a company does when it's desperate?   Start advertising that they are building something that is nowhere near production ready.  I've seen it happen before in companies I worked for shorty before they failed.
View Quote
New ford bronco.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:55:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read that as representative of cash value.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:00:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
New ford bronco.
View Quote
Has Ford promised a release date and started taking orders. With the Big 7 or whatever, they show concept car/truck/ect/ect at every auto show they never promise a date certain or even a year certain unless they can deliver...they also do not take pre-orders from the general public to the tunes of a 250k or better.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:54:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Has Ford promised a release date and started taking orders. With the Big 7 or whatever, they show concept car/truck/ect/ect at every auto show they never promise a date certain or even a year certain unless they can deliver...they also do not take pre-orders from the general public to the tunes of a 250k or better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
New ford bronco.
I was curious so I did some quick and lazy googling.

I'm no Ford Fanboy - but they sold more F-150s and superduties in Canada, than Tesla sold cars in 2016.
Twice as many.  Like 149k vs 76k.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:00:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I could find some pink sheets stocks with better fundamentals.  

But it pays to be in bed with the government.
View Quote
Is there a way to short them by 10K?
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:02:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm no Ford Fanboy - but they sold more F-150s and superduties in Canada, than Tesla sold cars in 2016.
View Quote
I dislike pretty much everything about Tesla, mainly because the pie in the powering care with rainbow turds and unicorn bodies BS insults most average people's intelligence. Now, however the more I think about it the more I think that the Justice Department needs to take a long hard look at Tesla.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 1:44:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Musk does not have the manufacturing base to fill his orders.

He cannot build the cars he promised to build and get them to the lemmings that put down deposits and orders for them.

They won't get their cars, they won't get their money back.

Go figure !
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 1:59:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Tesla is the best chance we (USA) have at ever exporting a car again.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
76 day supply is well within the range of industry standard.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 9:04:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
New ford bronco.

If I were comparing Tesla's current vehicles, I would look at 5- series and M5 BMWs, not work trucks...

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 9:16:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's the dollar amount of unsold inventory on hand , and not the number of unsold cars.

Tesla has 1.14 Billion dollars worth of unsold models S and X on their hands,  but not one single production Model 3 for which they have ostensibly already received customer cash deposits for a half a million cars.

And now Musk finally raises the proposition of the company going through "manufacturing hell" in making the jump from building 30 cars by hand for Alpha testing by employees, to the mass assembly line production of a half million cars for the customers whose money they've already taken.

Interesting times are coming to a head for Tesla.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 9:21:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That's the dollar amount of unsold inventory on hand , and not the number of unsold cars.

Tesla has 1.14 Billion dollars worth of unsold models S and X on their hands,  but not one single production Model 3 for which they have ostensibly already received customer cash deposits for a half a million cars.

And now Musk finally raises the proposition of the company going through "manufacturing hell" in making the jump from building 30 cars by hand for Alpha testing by employees, to the mass assembly line production of a half million cars for the customers whose money they've already taken.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

if he said it was a smooth transition and everything was going well, I would expect the US Marshalls to be impounding his assets and seizing his passport any day. You can't go from 30 cars with hand assembly to thousands by automation without teething problems.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 9:32:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
if he said it was a smooth transition and everything was going well, I would expect the US Marshalls to be impounding his assets and seizing his passport any day. You can't go from 30 cars with hand assembly to thousands by automation without teething problems.

Kharn
View Quote
Of course that is what he's doing; Musk is covering his ass in order that his previous "overly optimistic" remarks and assertions are seen as puffery rather than fraud.

Originally,  the press releases from the company stated words to the effect that "the first 30 cars off the production line were being delivered to the first 30 customers."

The actuality, which consisted of hand built cars being turned over to employees for Alpha testing borders on fraud IMO.

Here's what I said at the top of this page:

"This is Elon Musk releasing some of the negative news in order that he not go to jail."
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 9:38:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.
I was under the impression that Tesla sold every car that they made and had a waiting list of buyers (not including the model 3).

Interesting real world observation. Watched a video on a non car related youtube channel where a guy had purchased a new model X. He had to go from Los Angeles to San Diego for an event. Car was fully charged when he left. When he arrived in San Diego he had about 20 miles of range left.
It is only 129 miles from downtown LA to downtown SD, the model X supposedly has a 300 mile range.

So I guess the 300 miles of range is on a straight, flat road at a steady 65 mph with the AC and infotainment stuff powered off. Real world results appear to be significantly less.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#21]
I've got a question: Why would anybody want to buy an electric car?

-limited range
-long charging times
-marginal performance at highway speeds

I just dont see it. I understand hybrids, but for those that live in regions where solar power isnt a great option, I just dont understand buying a vehicle that you have to plug in. Even for those in sun rich environments, I'd rather use that power to keep my lights on.

I see Tesla's running around here with custom license plates: ZROEMSN, 0 CARBON, NOPRINT. Are these people morons? They're driving around in a vehicle full of heavy metal batteries mined in countries with no emission regulations.

Not for me. Tesla can fuck off. Plus they all look the same. You're telling me you'd rather drive a Model X over a BMW X5. Not a chance. Or their sedan over a Mercedes S-Class. No way.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 9:56:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Uber burns money, Telsa burns money, and I think NetFlix has not made a dime but still burning money.

Make you wonder how savy investors are nowadays.  For gen x,y, and millennials, apparently not.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:45:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No, I think similar to model s taking sales from Audi A7/8, Mercedes s class, bmw 6/7 series, Porsche panamara.....
Tesla model s outsells each of these.
Model s sales increases roughly match the decreases to thes models

I think we will see a similar result to model three getting Mercedes c class, BMW 3, Audi A4/5

If history is any guide that is what my expectation is.

If/when model Y comes around that's when I think you will see the corolla market making the choice
View Quote
You're going to have a hell of a hard time selling electric cars to apartment dwellers unless the complexes add charging stations (good luck with that, unless the gov't susidizes).

I still think the Model S sales are mostly novelty around here.  Not too many are primary vehicles and even fewer families would consider electric only for all of their vehicles. Mostly soccer moms running kids around.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:43:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

-limited range
-long charging times

I just dont see it. I understand hybrids, but for those that live in regions where solar power isnt a great option, I just dont understand buying a vehicle that you have to plug in. Even for those in sun rich environments, I'd rather use that power to keep my lights on.

I see Tesla's running around here with custom license plates: ZROEMSN, 0 CARBON, NOPRINT. Are these people morons? They're driving around in a vehicle full of heavy metal batteries mined in countries with no emission regulations.

Not for me. Tesla can fuck off. Plus they all look the same. You're telling me you'd rather drive a Model X over a BMW X5. Not a chance. Or their sedan over a Mercedes S-Class. No way.
View Quote
While I've not witnessed this for myself (read it here as a matter of fact) - Don't (some) EV owners have a habit of plugging their car up to any available power outlet while parked? Free go-go juice is a hell of an incentive.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#25]
why the fuck is  their stock at $321?
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Wow.
I was under the impression that Tesla sold every car that they made and had a waiting list of buyers (not including the model 3).

Interesting real world observation. Watched a video on a non car related youtube channel where a guy had purchased a new model X. He had to go from Los Angeles to San Diego for an event. Car was fully charged when he left. When he arrived in San Diego he had about 20 miles of range left.
It is only 129 miles from downtown LA to downtown SD, the model X supposedly has a 300 mile range.

So I guess the 300 miles of range is on a straight, flat road at a steady 65 mph with the AC and infotainment stuff powered off. Real world results appear to be significantly less.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.

Toyota sells every car they make, they still have ~90 days supply sitting around in case of a supply or production hiccup. You don't want an empty lot and customers driving to the next dealership.

Musk said in one of his Model 3 speeches that if you ordered an S or X that day, you would take delivery in about a month.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Uber burns money, Telsa burns money, and I think NetFlix has not made a dime but still burning money.

Make you wonder how savy investors are nowadays.  For gen x,y, and millennials, apparently not.
View Quote
There was a study that showed that 4% of stocks are generally responsible for all of the stock market gains, and often these companies make a lot less profit than the average...

It's almost as if you focus on growing your company long term and reinvest in yourself, instead of looking only towards next quarter's profit and executives creating their own golden parachutes, companies perform better long term...

Imagine that...
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

-limited range
-long charging times

View Quote
They make pretty good commuter cars, particularly the non-tesla electrics that are cheaper.

I've been looking at one of Zero motorcycles for a while now. I only live 13 miles from work, so range isn't much of a concern.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

While I've not witnessed this for myself (read it here as a matter of fact) - Don't (some) EV owners have a habit of plugging their car up to any available power outlet while parked? Free go-go juice is a hell of an incentive.
View Quote
The truth about charging rates for the Tesla cars.

Keep in mind that the fluff emanating from the company and the fanboys always emphasizes the charge rate provided by the unicorn Supercharging Stations rather than the actual options available to owners at home or at work.

https://www.pluglesspower.com/learn/tesla-model-s-charging-home-public-autonomously/
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:48:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Keep in mind that the fluff emanating from the company and the fanboys always emphasizes the charge rate provided by the unicorn Supercharging Stations rather than the actual options available to owners at home or at work.

https://www.pluglesspower.com/learn/tesla-model-s-charging-home-public-autonomously/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the resource. I briefly lurked another forum and apparently, while frowned on it seems the practice is common enough.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:57:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Wow.
View Quote
That used to be true.  From analysis of the plateauing sales, and the huge increase in inventory, it's clear that the company stopped being supply-limited sometime 15 - 18 months ago.

Tesla has worked hard to keep up the impression that every car coming off of the assembly line is going straight to a customer, but their SEC filings tell a different story.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 1:10:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want an electric car that performs well in double-digit below zero temperatures, has all-wheel-drive, can be driven off road, tow at least 5000 pounds, and has at least 300 miles range and can be recharged in remote locations in the middle of nowhere Wyoming.
I want an electric car that recharges by way of directed lightning strikes from Halliburton weather control satellites.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
In for the GD stock experts to voice their opinion on cars and a company they know nothing about.
View Quote
Is that part of the problem?

No one wants to know?

Or no one wants to fork over the cash to know.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 1:28:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
The truth is, most people drive about 35 miles a day so, a super charging network is not that critical.

Secondly, most BEV owners don't need to charge up every night. Do you guys fill up your gas powered vehicles every night? Nope.

Not sure why you guys are so hung up on the supercharger network. I use a Level 1 charger which is more than enough for my daily commute.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

-limited range
-long charging times

View Quote
If you don't understand why anybody would want to buy an electric car, you may have some sort of personality disorder that is prenting you from recognizing that other people have different preferences and requirements than you.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The truth is, most people drive about 35 miles a day so, a super charging network is not that critical.

Secondly, most BEV owners don't need to charge up every night. Do you guys fill up your gas powered vehicles every night? Nope.

Not sure why you guys are so hung up on the supercharger network. I use a Level 1 charger which is more than enough for my daily commute.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that is not the entire car market as a whole.
Keep in mind that most truck buyers are capability buyers, whether they use that utility of the truck a lot or not.
10,000lbs towing, 1,500lb payload, baja capable (mall crawler), a winch that will collect dust, etc etc.
Pickup trucks comprise a big, BIG sales block in the US.
THAT is the mentality of the buyers of those vehicles.

"Well I mean, I can charge it for a looong fuckin time for a single 35 mile commute for a $100,000 car" does not appeal to a guy for whom his $50,000 truck and a service lifetime of gasoline and parts cost less than that - for a vehicle that was more capable in everything but 0-60 acceleration, through the duration of the vehicles life.
Superior payload
Superior ground clearance
Superior towing
Superior offroad (to current production electric offerings)
Longer fuel range, quicker fueling times, ability to carry gas cans with the vehicle offroad
Ease of maintenance/availability of parts (Hey, it's an argument for rifle and pistol platforms, it applies to cars too.) Being able to get your oil changed anywhere is not insignificant.
Less expensive total  cost of ownership

A guy who drives a king ranch superduty every day, has at least 300lbs in it at all times, lives in a cold state (needs 4x4 vs battery argument here), in a place far away from neighbors and HOA tyranny - goes several hundred miles between fill ups, does not give a fuck about "muh EPA", and "the theoretical MPGs are higher, even though the vehicle costs far and away more to begin with and is not as capable. BUT IT'S NEW THO AND THE VEHICLES A GENERATION FROM NOW WILL BE GOOD."

IMHO there's a bunch of good reasons why Tesla is not universally loved in all segments of automobile buyers, despite what the tech hipsters turned autobloggers (who love cars so much that they can't wait for electric motored, plastic bodied, self driving cars with no driver input, cause muh gubmint) want to believe.
They have a long, long, LONG fucking way to go to become interesting to the non-apple buyer types in the car market.
Impossible? No.
"The future", sure, maybe - but it's looking more and more like that date is further away than the technophiles want to admit.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 2:34:27 PM EDT
[#37]
A thought occurred to me - On the surface it looks like a shell game. Why is Tesla $18+ billion in debt and growing, still operating, funded? It's operating costs outpace it's profit. Why is Tesla still in operation?

Industry Standard.

ETA: With that purpose in mind, I can get behind Tesla.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You're going to have a hell of a hard time selling electric cars to apartment dwellers unless the complexes add charging stations (good luck with that, unless the gov't susidizes).

I still think the Model S sales are mostly novelty around here.  Not too many are primary vehicles and even fewer families would consider electric only for all of their vehicles. Mostly soccer moms running kids around.
View Quote
In heavy tech areas a lot of apartments are already adding them, not to mention they're popping up in office building parking lots all the time. I see them all over the place...

https://www.plugshare.com/?location=12337

ETA: map is only public chargers, there are many many more installed for residents only in more apartment buildings.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 2:46:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 2:57:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Tesla makes about 25% on each Model S and X they sell. If Tesla stopped investing for growth they would have very good profits. Those profits would not justify the sky-high share price. Tesla's current valuation is based on potential grow! They are making very large capital investments for growth. If the demand for their products does not continue to grow then they will go bankrupt. A lot of investors seem to believe that Tesla has great growth potential.

Just like the early stockholders at Amazon, the Tesla stockholders are taking a chance.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Nvm
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
200 miles instead of 300, but 6,100lbs of tow instead of 5,000.    

I presume you just throw some solar panels in the back, it'll charge eventually. There's something to it as a Zombie Apocalypse vehicle, instead of hunting for refined fuel.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 4:26:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-limited range
-long charging times

Theft of Utilities is the criminal charge in some states.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-limited range
-long charging times

People try that with gasoline powered vehicles all the time, it's why we have to pay first at the pump.

Many places allow customers to charge their EV for free. The electricity is cheap and it brings in a customer who is generally of above average income.  Some employers offer free charging for their employees as well.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Looks like the Mazda president is an ARFCOMMER!!!

Mazda's stance
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Tesla makes about 25% on each Model S and X they sell. If Tesla stopped investing for growth they would have very good profits. Those profits would not justify the sky-high share price. Tesla's current valuation is based on potential grow! They are making very large capital investments for growth. If the demand for their products does not continue to grow then they will go bankrupt. A lot of investors seem to believe that Tesla has great growth potential.

Just like the early stockholders at Amazon, the Tesla stockholders are taking a chance.
View Quote
Gross profit.  Operating profit.  Net profit.  The distinction is important, and explained multiple times in this thread.  

If Tesla stopped investing for growth they would then only lose money on every car they make, instead of losing money on every car they make and losing money by investing in growth like they do now.  The best they can do is stop losing money altogether.  They would do this by ceasing to invest in growth, and turning off the assembly lines for all of their products.  They currently have no avenue to make a net profit, and it looks unlikely that that will change any time soon.

The demand for their products has already stopped growing.  S sales have been flat for 7 quarters.  X sales have been flat for 4 quarters.  Powerwall sales are virtually nonexistent.  The Solar Roof is a vaporware hoax product.  In the coming quarters we'll see how well they can increase Model 3 production, how many of the 500,000 gross reservations become orders, and what the actual demand is.

Amazon stockholders were not taking near the risk.  Amazon had free cash flow after only about 4 years of operation.  Tesla is 14 years old and has never had positive free cash flow.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:24:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't have to fill up my gas powered vehicle every night because it doesn't require 4 full days of pumping gasoline to fill my tank should the need suddenly arise, or should I simply decide to take a drive somewhere.

It actually sounds very restrictive and limiting.

Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:25:42 PM EDT
[#49]
I only came in here to say that elon musk is a total flaming faggot. his cars suck, and i hope he blows up on his spaceship.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:37:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It actually sounds very restrictive and limiting.

https://www.pluglesspower.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Tesla-charge-times.jpg
View Quote
That's an interesting chart you have there, my car charges on 240 and has never taken that long to go to full, this is my second Model S, the first one had the now discontinued dual chargers, I didn't get the upgraded charger on my latest Model S, just didn't see the need for it.

ETA:  Oh, I see where you got your chart from, some wireless charging system, no wonder it takes so long compared to the Tesla wall chargers.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top