Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:14:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Mom said if she had one of those her back and knees wouldn’t be shot from driving
The truck all day
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:17:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Did he throw a steel ball at the windows?
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:18:50 AM EDT
[#3]
If there is a website glitch that allows you to add the semi motor to a model 3 I am interested, but otherwise no.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:41:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you're not a shitty driver you shouldn't have hot brakes ever going downhill.  If you do you aren't in the correct gear or you fucked up.  If I'm on a long downgrade it's pretty rare for me to ever even tap my brakes going downhill, let alone heat them up.
View Quote

Lol. Alabama downgrades.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:52:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm kind of interested, but am not watching a 57 minute Tesla video.  
View Quote

9 Minute video

Elon Musk's Tesla SEMI Event: Everything Revealed in 9 Minutes
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 1:53:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If there is a website glitch that allows you to add the semi motor to a model 3 I am interested, but otherwise no.
View Quote

From the video, it is the drivetrain from the plaid S/X. So you can get it in a car, just not in a 3.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 2:49:08 AM EDT
[#7]
As usual, this is pretty cool stuff.

There will certainly be times and areas where the technology won't work.

But there are also some awesome upsides to it.  It really should be viewed like it is another tool in the tool belt.  Not a one size fits all solution.

Unfortunately, many of us have been so programmed to pepper our anguses and expect that the Climate zealouts will MANDATE the use of such trucks and BAN every other truck, that we feel the need to hate EVs.

I fucking hate politicians.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 2:57:47 AM EDT
[#8]
The 500 mile demo was pretty impressive, as everyone was expecting a much shorter range. I don’t think it’s still practical at those ranges, but it does showcase the capabilities.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 3:02:25 AM EDT
[#9]
If they are self driving, Canada never has to worry about a trucker strike again.
Lets just destroy every industry. When every thing is automated, we will have more time to paint pictures or read.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 3:44:30 AM EDT
[#10]
It makes sense as a yard truck that only needs to be run at low speed or short distances - and only a couple hours a day.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 6:34:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Mom said if she had one of those her back and knees wouldn’t be shot from driving
The truck all day
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 7:54:09 AM EDT
[#12]
The only way I get one of those new EV trucks is if it can charge at the same rate as like me with a lot lizard.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 8:26:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Tractor is around 27k pounds. A diesel tractor is around 25k pounds. Not a huge difference.  I mean current trucks hold up to 300 gallons of diesel that's an extra 2,100lbs for a full tank.
View Quote
Most diesel sleeper trucks have an empty of weight of 20k pounds or under.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 8:29:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Being estimated that it's capacity is

44 tons of cargo across 500 miles.

So probably local with over night charging. I don't think it can replace OTR
View Quote
There's so much BS in this whole thread. 44 tons of cargo is 88,000 pounds. Legal unpermitted weight limit for 5 axles is 80,000 gross including truck and trailer.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 8:31:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Good point.  At a port, it defeats the bullshit regs that cali did that screwed up loading/offloading trucks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Honestly a pretty cool idea for the last mile use.

Good point.  At a port, it defeats the bullshit regs that cali did that screwed up loading/offloading trucks.

Like it was planned
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 8:53:44 AM EDT
[#16]
If it doesn't do 0-60 in under 4 seconds with a full load I'm out.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There's so much BS in this whole thread. 44 tons of cargo is 88,000 pounds. Legal unpermitted weight limit for 5 axles is 80,000 gross including truck and trailer.
View Quote

@Brawndo

He stated in the video, probably as a response to comments similar to yours, that because it is electric, there is a special exemption of 2k pounds, hence 82k.

Dunno if true, or if I am relaying info wrong, so feel free to fact check.

Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:17:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you really wanted to make an impact on trucking you'd make single lanes on freeways dedicated to freight with suspended cables and driverless vehicles like urban trains.

No batteries, all electric, just get a vehicle on the line and let it run to its hub.
View Quote
Overhead lines allow batteries to charge while traveling. Batteries allow trucks to move to final delivery and in yards where overhead lines would be impractical and probably impossible.

Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If you're not a shitty driver you shouldn't have hot brakes ever going downhill.  If you do you aren't in the correct gear or you fucked up.  If I'm on a long downgrade it's pretty rare for me to ever even tap my brakes going downhill, let alone heat them up.
View Quote
That engine braking isn't putting diesel back in the tank.

Generator braking recharges the batteries.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Weird, the driver sits in the center of the cab.
View Quote
Side by Side hookers?
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:29:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@Brawndo

He stated in the video, probably as a response to comments similar to yours, that because it is electric, there is a special exemption of 2k pounds, hence 82k.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Brawndo

I understand exemptions. 44 tons of cargo is 88k pounds still, more if metric tons. Add in a 36000 tare for truck and trailer and that is 124k pounds. That's why I said it's BS. I welcome electric trucks. One of my trucks was in the shop for emissions 3 plus weeks in November. However, people with no clue spouting nonsense will get called out. Give me a 32k tare truck and 53' flatbed with gear and driver, along with charging infrastructure, and I'm in.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:30:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How many tons of batteries is it gonna have?  Might detract from the cargo weight with 80,000lb gross weight limit.
View Quote

Lipos are lightweight,  if that's what they use?
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:30:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Electric makes far more sense for trucking than it does for personally-owned vehicles.

I have no idea if the Tesla version is going to be successful, but it’s coming in one form or another.
View Quote

No lol, are you a trucker?
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#24]
What about external battery mounts with quick change interface?
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtOqU2o81iI

How do the Arfcom truckers feel about this?

Probably no range but power, less maintenance, acceleration, regen breaking.

Good day trucking but not OTR?
View Quote

Not a tesla fan boy, but I was impressed. Would like to hear what real Truckers think

500 mile capacity, short haul?  

How does it work with idlea times. I notice truckers wait around ALOT.

Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:42:24 AM EDT
[#26]
(possible EV world game changer) Gig Performance - electric regenerative suspension system
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What about external battery mounts with quick change interface?
View Quote
You need competent labor and reliable processes to make that happen and you're adding a lot of weight to ensure the battery mounts can handle getting hit by a forklift daily. The safety aspect of an external lithium battery with no crash protection is terrible as well. Charging infrastructure is far simpler than quick change infrastructure when you factor in the labor alone.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:49:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Lol. Alabama downgrades.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. Alabama downgrades.

I've got about 2.8 million miles driven, how much experience do you have?
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tractor is around 27k pounds. A diesel tractor is around 25k pounds. Not a huge difference.  I mean current trucks hold up to 300 gallons of diesel that's an extra 2,100lbs for a full tank.

Yeah I'm not sure where that 27k pounds is.   Most of the OTR trucks I've driven weight 18k-19k loaded with fuel.  The semi i drove for a while that was fully armored only weighed 23k.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

At 41:15 in the video they show an 8 hour, 500mi run at full load from Fresno to San Diego
View Quote

That will drop to around 300-350 miles in the Midwest winter if it’s anything like my model 3.

Lose ~ 30% range when it’s around 20 degrees.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Being estimated that it's capacity is

44 tons of cargo across 500 miles.

So probably local with over night charging. I don't think it can replace OTR

Ooops I probably meant 44k lbs.

Sorry. They were doing the calculations in the article.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:57:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It makes sense as a yard truck that only needs to be run at low speed or short distances - and only a couple hours a day.
View Quote

So 500 miles range with a full load is only good for a yard truck?

I think it would be great as a "last mile" type use, as it's going to want to stay close to where it can charge overnight. OTR won't be there until charging infrastructure is there.

With regulations requiring stops and breaks, etc, that 500 mile range at 70MPH is over 7 hours anyway. A driver's gonna be required to stop anyway.

The biggest problem I see now is resource availability and manufacturing capacity - simply, we ain't got enough resources or production capacity to make a large number of them. So things will change, but very slowly.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I have seen it. Now it’s going to be a two pronged attack. Not only will you be to drive to the store but neither can the stores suppliers. If you want to work and eat you better move to the big city and use public transportation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you haven't seen the connectivity they are pushing to ALL new cars then I have some bad news for you.  

I have seen it. Now it’s going to be a two pronged attack. Not only will you be to drive to the store but neither can the stores suppliers. If you want to work and eat you better move to the big city and use public transportation.

Not because Tesla is putting out a Semi-though.

The connected vehicle thing is across everything right now.  Gas or electric.  

It's a modern myth that electric cars are uniquely tethered to the internet.

Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

@Brawndo

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Brawndo

Weight laws are often modified by the state.

You’re allowed 90k on the Ohio turnpike.

Michigan is all fucked up with their Michigan specials.

PA bridge laws.

Some states have frost laws.

So maybe in CA it’s 82k. But if you are pulling a trailer in Michigan with a dozen axles under it, you can have 210k.  

Etc. It’s not a one answer fits all. “Allowed 82k.”

80,000lbs is just industry standard due to being the base federal regulations, on federal interstates. After that it’s state by state.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:03:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtOqU2o81iI

How do the Arfcom truckers feel about this?

Probably no range but power, less maintenance, acceleration, regen breaking.

Good day trucking but not OTR?
View Quote

Going from the specs I saw from a couple years ago…
It’s to heavy. I’m limited to 80k gross. Some places less because of bridges, ect, I have to cross to make deliveries.
Concrete precast structures are heavy. My tractor and trailer needs to be as light as possible.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Cool toy for the mega fleets to show off.

Won’t be practical for a long time after it’s officially released.

The industry is betting on hydrogen going forward it seems like.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Not a tesla fan boy, but I was impressed. Would like to hear what real Truckers think

500 mile capacity, short haul?  

How does it work with idlea times. I notice truckers wait around ALOT.

View Quote
I'm a truck driver.

It may work for short day runs, terminal to terminal or terminal, delivery, back to terminal type stuff but it's never going to replace diesel powered long haul trucks in my lifetime (IMHO). There are over 4 million diesel powered trucks on the road every day, when I ran OTR a 600+ mile day was pretty standard. There is no way we'll have the infrastructure to rapid charge anywhere close to that number of trucks every day.

I say they're a neat concept but don't see them breaking out of being a novelty, an expensive "Look at how green we are" virtue signaling option for companies or used in very limited areas/markets.

Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:10:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Honestly a pretty cool idea for the last mile use.
View Quote

Yeah, have to think that in town, LTL, and daycab applications would be the niche.
Can’t see how it’s sustainable for OTR.

If they could figure that out, then it becomes a threat to team driving. But I don’t think the tech is there yet. Can’t imagine how long it takes to charge.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:15:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Still wondering if Hydrogen will make lithium storage obsolete at some point for Etrucks.

All the rare earth materials and slaves required to bring it to market has a cloud over it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yeah I'm not sure where that 27k pounds is.   Most of the OTR trucks I've driven weight 18k-19k loaded with fuel.  The semi i drove for a while that was fully armored only weighed 23k.
View Quote
My T-800 is 32,000 lbs bobtail

Of course it's a special built Heavy Haul truck with a double frame, a Hi/Low aux transmission, it carries 2500 lbs in fuel and and close to 1500 lbs in 1/2' chains and binders in the chain locker.

Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:16:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Weight laws are often modified by the state.

You're allowed 90k on the Ohio turnpike.

Michigan is all fucked up with their Michigan specials.

PA bridge laws.

Some states have frost laws.

So maybe in CA it's 82k. But if you are pulling a trailer in Michigan with a dozen axles under it, you can have 210k.  

Etc. It's not a one answer fits all. "Allowed 82k."

80,000lbs is just industry standard due to being the base federal regulations, on federal interstates. After that it's state by state.
View Quote
Yeah trying to explain trucking regs online to common folk it's easier just to say 80k on 5 axles. Sure it might be 80.4k in most states if you have an APU, but even that's not adopted universally. Can you imagine one of these Tesla trucks pulling a Michigan special or even a Northwest Maxi setup? Hell just trying to explain how my 53' flat and step trailers are legal spread out in some states and not others confuse non-truckers, some truckers, and most brokers. Is that 90k on the Ohio pike divisible without a permit?
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:17:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

It was announced like 5 years ago.

The semi was released during the presser. It will be used by fleets starting now.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:19:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Still wondering if Hydrogen will make lithium storage obsolete at some point for Etrucks.

All the rare earth materials and slaves required to bring it to market has a cloud over it.
View Quote

Hydrogen fuel is the carbon fiber of the fuel world.

Always 5 years away.

Hydrogen capture is horrible for the environment. Hydrogen fuel cells are insanely expensive and haven’t been getting cheaper.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:19:23 AM EDT
[#44]
I think I'm the only one on this forum that doesn't trust a single thing that comes out of that snake's mouth.

We'll see how things shake out down the road but I don't trust nor do I even respect these turds at the top.

When you've got the choice between licking gov boots or licking hyper autistic billionaires boots and you choose neither... where does that leave you...
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:22:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My T-800 is 32,000 lbs bobtail

Of course it's a special built Heavy Haul truck with a double frame, a Hi/Low aux transmission, it carries 2500 lbs in fuel and and close to 1500 lbs in 1/2' chains and binders in the chain locker.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119852/IMG_20220712_190419993_HDR-2456270.jpg
View Quote
I always liked the T800W. That trailer is not light either. What's your tare, 65k or so?
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:22:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The semi was released during the presser. It will be used by fleets starting now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still a cool toy, that’s about it.

Are you in the industry?

As I am.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Overhead lines allow batteries to charge while traveling. Batteries allow trucks to move to final delivery and in yards where overhead lines would be impractical and probably impossible.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you really wanted to make an impact on trucking you'd make single lanes on freeways dedicated to freight with suspended cables and driverless vehicles like urban trains.

No batteries, all electric, just get a vehicle on the line and let it run to its hub.

I have posted this before, but it is being done.  It makes sense for truck heavy locations like a port or rail yard where containers are offloaded.  

The highway where trucks work like electric trains

Quoted:

Most hydrogen comes from processing natural gas, so the question is natural gas or hydrogen a better fuel.  CNG works well for a vehicle fuel, it has advantages and disadvantages like every other fuel source.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Hydrogen fuel is the carbon fiber of the fuel world.

Always 5 years away.

Hydrogen capture is horrible for the environment. Hydrogen fuel cells are insanely expensive and haven’t been getting cheaper.
View Quote

There was some research into a diesel fuel cell a while back, it would be a game changer compared to hydrogen on fuel availability alone.

ICE engines waste massive amounts of energy in the form of heat, so you could get significantly better mileage with a fuel cell
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yeah trying to explain trucking regs online to common folk it's easier just to say 80k on 5 axles. Sure it might be 80.4k in most states if you have an APU, but even that's not adopted universally. Can you imagine one of these Tesla trucks pulling a Michigan special or even a Northwest Maxi setup? Hell just trying to explain how my 53' flat and step trailers are legal spread out in some states and not others confuse non-truckers, some truckers, and most brokers. Is that 90k on the Ohio pike divisible without a permit?
View Quote
Allowable weights by state can be a pain in the ass to keep track of. Colorado as an example is 80,000 lbs on the interstates but allows 85,000 lbs on all other roads. 80,000 lbs will get you pretty much anywhere legally in the US with a divisible load on a 5 axle truck and trailer.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:30:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Are you in the industry?

As I am.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you in the industry?

As I am.

I’m not questioning you or your expertise. Just clarifying.

It seems like it’d have good applications for sub 300 mile daily hauls.

Am I wrong? Could it not be a good day cabber?

I mean anything short range it would probably kick ass. Just not OTR.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top