Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 108
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#1]
You might see landlords adding EV stalls on new construction, but very few will bother with it on existing buildings for a long time. The housing market in SoCal is so lopsidedly in the landlord's favor, we have no pressing need to offer EV stations. There are far more people looking for apartments than there are available units. Why would I invest money on EV stalls when there are literally hundreds of people clamoring to fill a single vacancy the moment I post the unit for rent?
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 12:32:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 1:03:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I live in Reno.

I’m the past week I have interviewed two employees from Tesla looking for new jobs. They both pretty much said the same thing. People are getting canned and laid off left and right, so they see the writing on the wall. Both of them say the employees are sure the Gigafactory will be closing down on the Tesla portion.

Wife’s coworker dates a dude who works for Tesla. A while back he, and several other engineers who worked at the Gigafactory got relocated to their California location. Talking to a vendor out there he said the employees are down and all talking about what they are going to do after they shut down.

Take that for what it’s worth, but it’s what I’ve been hearing locally.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I was thinking the opposite looking at prices yesterday.  July 2021 $50 strike puts are over $6.

Last summer before the funding secured mess, January 2020 $50 puts were bouncing around in the $3-$5 range depending on headlines.

Only a six month difference in shelf life, and the price is almost double.  The market is pricing in a much greater chance of the stock price dropping into double digits now than it was a year ago.

One of my put orders that had been hanging out there for several weeks got filled on the leaked production ramp email, and then the prices dropped a further ~5%.  It was crazy watching the risk people were willing to take on to write those contracts based only on that email.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 8:22:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 9:20:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I think it's time to start speculating who will buy out Tesla.  Musk can take the cash and fund his space program and someone who actually knows how to mass produce cars can run Tesla.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 9:32:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think it's time to start speculating who will buy out Tesla.  Musk can take the cash and fund his space program and someone who actually knows how to mass produce cars can run Tesla.
View Quote
I doubt anyone will buy them. Too much baggage. Better to let them implode and buy individual desirable assets as liquidation.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 10:24:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I doubt anyone will buy them. Too much baggage. Better to let them implode and buy individual desirable assets as liquidation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only asset I could see anybody wanting would be the supercharger network. Some Tesla parts dismantler is going to buy up the unassembled parts at auction and become very wealthy.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#9]
This isn't the first time they've trimmed up the S/X lineup to try and make some room between the Model 3 Performance price and the base model S/X price.  They're still seeing too much cannibalization of S/X, so they're trimming it more.

Then they lower the prices on everything to juice demand more.  That's at least four price cuts this year.  Gotta keep the growth narrative alive and drag its corpse across the finish line to the next capital raise.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 10:42:11 AM EDT
[#10]
It seems hard to believe that there would be no buyer for Tesla interested in keeping the production line open. The cars are very much in demand. There’s a waiting list for them. They aren’t my thing personally. I prefer the hybrid to the plug in cars. But the point is people want these cars and are willing to pay a premium for all the inconveniences an electric car brings with it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 10:48:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It seems hard to believe that there would be no buyer for Tesla interested in keeping the production line open. The cars are very much in demand. There’s a waiting list for them. They aren’t my thing personally. I prefer the hybrid to the plug in cars. But the point is people want these cars and are willing to pay a premium for all the inconveniences an electric car brings with it.
View Quote
Demand in a vacuum is meaningless. Building them profitably, and providing customer support befitting customers in the luxury price range is the challenge. Nobody wants the crushing pile of debt they have accumulated, or the obligation to service the subpar junk they’ve been peddling, and it’s a package deal.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 11:03:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Any thoughts on Tesla being the pin that bursts this tech bubble? Once people see a giant like Tesla fall, are they suddenly going to start worrying about all the other unprofitable tech companies that have been  soaking up investments and shitting out losses for the past umpteen years?
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why buy when you can purcase IP and assets during the bankruptcy.  Just wait to see what the stock closes at next Thursday, they have been pumping the fanbois something fearce to drive the stock up, the earnings call will be a shit show next week
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 11:22:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Why buy when you can purcase IP and assets during the bankruptcy.  Just wait to see what the stock closes at next Thursday, they have been pumping the fanbois something fearce to drive the stock up, the earnings call will be a shit show next week
View Quote
Also remember Tesla has a very young CFO that the banks walked all over during the last capital raise. Don't expect any shrewd negotiations resulting in a prepackaged or reorg bankruptcy. I expect a firesale when people finally stop gifting them money.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I live in Reno.

I’m the past week I have interviewed two employees from Tesla looking for new jobs. They both pretty much said the same thing. People are getting canned and laid off left and right, so they see the writing on the wall. Both of them say the employees are sure the Gigafactory will be closing down on the Tesla portion.

Wife’s coworker dates a dude who works for Tesla. A while back he, and several other engineers who worked at the Gigafactory got relocated to their California location. Talking to a vendor out there he said the employees are down and all talking about what they are going to do after they shut down.

Take that for what it’s worth, but it’s what I’ve been hearing locally.
View Quote
Those Gigafactory guys can go across the street and make some really fun toys.

U.S. ORDNANCE COMPANY PROFILE VIDEO
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 11:40:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Any thoughts on Tesla being the pin that bursts this tech bubble? Once people see a giant like Tesla fall, are they suddenly going to start worrying about all the other unprofitable tech companies that have been  soaking up investments and shitting out losses for the past umpteen years?
View Quote
The only people that think Tesla is a tech company is Tesla. Wall Street doesn't believe Tesla's "tech company" BS anymore. Tesla tries to con people into believing they are a tech company because they are hoping they can pull the same BS tech companies pull, such as smoke and mirrors production numbers and release schedule estimates that are impossible to meet. They have never held themselves to the same standards as an automobile company and I think investors are finally seeing through their BS.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Seems they had to cut corners on model 3 production, to make their sales figures.

"But employees say in the push to ramp up Model 3 production, they were forced to cut corners and work in difficult, unsafe conditions. A handful of employees who work in Tesla's open-air GA4 production tent told CNBC that they used electrical tape to quickly repair broken parts and worked through extreme heat, cold and wild-fire smoke."

Article
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 7:36:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Seems they had to cut corners on model 3 production, to make their sales figures.

"But employees say in the push to ramp up Model 3 production, they were forced to cut corners and work in difficult, unsafe conditions. A handful of employees who work in Tesla's open-air GA4 production tent told CNBC that they used electrical tape to quickly repair broken parts and worked through extreme heat, cold and wild-fire smoke."

Article
View Quote
Lol, and people are paying 50k+ for the privilege of having their car built in a tent
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 8:32:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Wondering if we will see Elon suddenly start posting BS about the Tesla pickup, with Ford showing their test mule.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#21]
This is a big day for Tesla!  Quarterly earnings are scheduled to be released this evening.  The consensus is that they'll report another loss (~50c/share).

Current problems include:
- Running out of cash.  
- More competition from other manufacturers.  
- The $7,500 federal tax credit/subsidy is ending for Tesla - but will continue for other manufacturers' electric vehicles.  
- Sales of Tesla's aging profitable models (X and S) are shrinking.  
https://www.forbes.com/sites/sebastianblanco/2019/07/23/falling-model-s-and-x-sales-mean-teslas-margins-are-getting-squeezed
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This is a big day for Tesla!  Quarterly earnings are scheduled to be released this evening.  The consensus is that they'll report another loss (~50c/share).

- Running out of cash.  
- The $7,500 federal tax credit/subsidy is ending for Tesla - but will continue for other manufacturers' electric vehicles.  
https://www.forbes.com/sites/sebastianblanco/2019/07/23/falling-model-s-and-x-sales-mean-teslas-margins-are-getting-squeezed
View Quote
Dun dun dun
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 3:32:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

- Running out of cash.  
View Quote
I predict a big boisterous speech by the Man-God Elon and a rally of $50 a share.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#24]
$408M loss.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 5:28:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Down 13%
Missed by 130% or something lol
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Loss per share on an adjusted basis: $1.12 vs. 40 cents expected.
Revenue: $6.35 billion versus $6.41 billion expected.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/24/tesla-earnings-q2-2019.html
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Yea, that's nail in the coffin territory... Fuck, how do you buy put options? I have no idea... never did. My dad lost some money when he bet the Northrop YF-23 would win over the Lockheed YF-22
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 6:40:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Stock is down about 10% in afterhours trading.

I'm watching Tesla's China plant.  It's ramping up during an election season.  
Musk will probably blame Trump (trade war) for any China related problems.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 7:18:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Record sales.  $400M loss.  Mix and ASPs are only going to continue to worsen from here.  They already walked back most of the S/X refresh, so the mix and ASP there isn't improving.  And to any extent that the Model Y will marginally improve mix and ASP late next year, it will only be doing it at the expense of the Model 3.

$5B cash and CASH EQUIVALENTS is a continuation of the same game from last quarter, but increased by the amount of the capital raise and the $600M free cash flow.  And by the way, $330M of that $600M FCF is a result of depreciation outstripping capex.  Hint: depreciation outstripping capex is not what happens to a growth company.  The capex itself was a paltry $250M for the quarter.

$250M capex this quarter, $280M last quarter, and they guided for $1500M-$2000M for the year today.  In other words, "we promise we'll be doubling or tripling capex spending from here out for the year.  Promise."

New service centers were still vastly outstripped by growth in the fleet, so for now the service nightmare will still continue to worsen.  Eventually enough of the Model 3s will slip down the bathtub curve and the service issues will catch up.  Tesla seems content until then to let their customers suffer.

One bright spot is that they've finally got SG&A expenses to consistently stop growing.  Also they've managed to grow total assets a hair faster than total liabilities, so the net book value of the company is now $7B!  That's only one sixth of the market cap, even after the 11% share price drop after the results were released this afternoon.

ETA: $111M of regulatory credit sales.  It's up to you whether you want to subtract that from FCF and profit.  If you do, just remember that Tesla has a history of only reporting some of its regulatory credit sales in the press release, and burying the total of them in the 10Q.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Wondering if we will see Elon suddenly start posting BS about the Tesla pickup, with Ford showing their test mule.
View Quote
I am curious what percentage of parts will be common to the gas Ford trucks.  That and lower repair costs due to established dealerships should eat Teslas lunch.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Record sales.  $400M loss.  Mix and ASPs are only going to continue to worsen from here.  They already walked back most of the S/X refresh, so the mix and ASP there isn't improving.  And to any extent that the Model Y will marginally improve mix and ASP late next year, it will only be doing it at the expense of the Model 3.

$5B cash and CASH EQUIVALENTS is a continuation of the same game from last quarter, but increased by the amount of the capital raise and the $600M free cash flow.  And by the way, $330M of that $600M FCF is a result of depreciation outstripping capex.  Hint: depreciation outstripping capex is not what happens to a growth company.  The capex itself was a paltry $250M for the quarter.

$250M capex this quarter, $280M last quarter, and they guided for $1500M-$2000M for the year today.  In other words, "we promise we'll be doubling or tripling capex spending from here out for the year.  Promise."

New service centers were still vastly outstripped by growth in the fleet, so for now the service nightmare will still continue to worsen.  Eventually enough of the Model 3s will slip down the bathtub curve and the service issues will catch up.  Tesla seems content until then to let their customers suffer.

One bright spot is that they've finally got SG&A expenses to consistently stop growing.  Also they've managed to grow total assets a hair faster than total liabilities, so the net book value of the company is now $7B!  That's only one sixth of the market cap, even after the 11% share price drop after the results were released this afternoon.

ETA: $111M of regulatory credit sales.  It's up to you whether you want to subtract that from FCF and profit.  If you do, just remember that Tesla has a history of only reporting some of its regulatory credit sales in the press release, and burying the total of them in the 10Q.
View Quote
I'm not a finance guy, but it seems that "Goodwill and intangible assets, net" is a category that would allow companies to overstate their assets.

Tesla's 8k - March 31, 2019 - Goodwill and intangible assets, net - 74,312k
Tesla's 8k - June 30, 2019 - Goodwill and intangible assets, net - 480,833k
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 7:55:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm not a finance guy, but it seems that "Goodwill and intangible assets, net" is a category that would allow companies to overstate their assets.

View Quote
That must'd been some kine bud in Musk's bowl.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#33]
For some reason I was getting Tesla updates and the level of BS was off the charts.
They were talking about all the buzz their vaporware pickup truck was generating.
More interest than Ford's new truck, blah, blah, blah.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Why do so many Tesla lovers seem to be so young?

This guy is recommending Tesla stock.  He's also sporting a "Happy 21st birthday" sign in the video.  
Tesla Stock Predictions: Why I''m ADDING To My Position
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 8:16:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/100614/goodwill-vs-other-intangible-assets-whats-difference.asp

One intangible asset Tesla owns is the now worthless Silevo solar panel technology that Solar City paid $177M for.  One day that boondoggle will have to be written down to its actual value of $0.  How much of that $177M acquisition price is tucked into Intangible Assets on the balance sheet?

Well, looks like we can scratch almost $100M of that $177M already:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4061589-tesla-solarcity-silevo-acquisition

Tesla has determined that final contingent payments will not be made to the Silevo sellers, and oddly has reported this as a gain of almost $100 million.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 8:44:04 PM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes
Straubel was THE most senior person at the company.

"I'm not disappearing ... this is not some lack of confidence in the team or anything like that," Straubel said during the call. "I love the team and I love the company and I always will."
Funny, Doug Field said the same thing when he was being pushed out too.  https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/2/17528484/tesla-doug-field-model-3-production-elon-musk  His "leave of absence" turned into leaving the company.

Straubel has been cashing out for a while now, to the tune of $33M in Tesla stock sold in the last 8 months.

http://openinsider.com/insider/Straubel-Jeffrey-B/1494727
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 11:33:03 AM EDT
[#38]
These people never fail to amuse me.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Someone tell the President: Tesla committed to pay $320 million/year in taxes to China.  

Tesla pays no income taxes to the USA.  Tesla received $700M+ in subsidies from US taxpayers in the third quarter of 2018 alone.  
Instead of providing jobs for Americans to export cars to China, Tesla is building a new $2B factory in China.  
https://www.thestreet.com/investing/stocks/someone-tell-the-president-tesla-s-musk-promised-china-320m-tax-revenue-a-year-15036212
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 5:02:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Tent production yielding further QC problems, this time with paint.

Article

"Thickness tests showed that the paint was not even. In some places, it averaged 106 microns, well below the industry’s average of 110 to 150 microns. But it gets worse. Some areas had just around 70 microns of paint.

The report even claims that in the most affected areas the paint was "well below the lower tolerance range given by the manufacturer"."
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 2:34:28 PM EDT
[#41]
German rental company Nextmove cancels $5M Tesla order due to quality issues.  Not a huge loss financially, but it's bad PR.  
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-nextmove/germanys-nextmove-cancels-tesla-order-citing-quality-issues-idUSKCN1V61DG
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 4:38:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Someone tell the President: Tesla committed to pay $320 million/year in taxes to China.  

Tesla pays no income taxes to the USA.  Tesla received $700M+ in subsidies from US taxpayers in the third quarter of 2018 alone.  
Instead of providing jobs for Americans to export cars to China, Tesla is building a new $2B factory in China.  
https://www.thestreet.com/investing/stocks/someone-tell-the-president-tesla-s-musk-promised-china-320m-tax-revenue-a-year-15036212
View Quote
Has Tesla ever had a net income?
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 4:46:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Has Tesla ever had a net income?
View Quote
Not annually. I think they've had 4 profitable quarters in history, though it's pretty clear all 4 were manufactured by playing an accounting shell game.  Agree that the article is misleading about not paying income tax when you don't have net income.

The part they didn't mention about China? If Tesla doesn't fulfill the terms by 2023 the plant reverts to Chinese ownership. Any bets on that happening?
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 11:06:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
German rental company Nextmove cancels $5M Tesla order due to quality issues.  Not a huge loss financially, but it's bad PR.  
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-nextmove/germanys-nextmove-cancels-tesla-order-citing-quality-issues-idUSKCN1V61DG
View Quote
“Tesla triggered a refund clause”...

A hundred cars is hardly worth the hassle and Musk told them to pound sand.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 11:10:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 11:58:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

lol

That’s awesome if you are a super-profitable company with fat margins.

For a car company that has NEVER made a profit off any car they have sold in their entire history as a manufacturer, it’s probably not the smartest attitude to have.  
View Quote
It makes sense not to waste time on a small order when you have bigger fish to fry.

If you’ve watched Nextmove’s YouTube videos, you’d know they are a joke and are pandering for attention (like Consumer Reports)

You don’t need to make money to stay in business, you just need investors...
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 12:09:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 12:12:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Too many former Burger King employees building $60-$100k cars.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 12:15:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Anyone else see Tesla as the modern day Tucker?
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 12:39:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Anyone else see Tesla as the modern day Tucker?
View Quote
More like Delorean!  Is Elon gonna do a big coke deal???
Page / 108
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top