Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/16/2020 2:32:57 PM EDT
Some spyshots have been caught of Tesla's new battery.

https://electrek.co/2020/09/16/tesla-battery-cell-in-house-roadrunner-first-look/

Tesla's "Roadrunner" tabless battery cell that's supposed to last 1 million miles, have greater energy density, and lower waste heat.

Expected to be used in Roadster, Cybertruck, and Plaid Model-S.

Aiming for <$75/kwh cost.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Its pretty revolutionary if what I am reading is true.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 2:36:31 PM EDT
[#2]
If it comes in a deep cycle and/or starting/cranking format, I'd be interested.  Looking for new batteries for my boat.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 2:39:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Bet that would make a hell of a fire.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 2:40:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

So does the gasoline in a car.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#5]
So 40mm or so by 80mm?

More than double the diameter of an 21700 by the looks of it so a lot more volume.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So 40mm or so by 80mm?

More than double the diameter of an 21700 by the looks of it so a lot more volume.
View Quote

Tabless design with much lower resistance allows them to roll a much larger cell.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 2:51:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whoa guys, are you guys implying storing energy is dangerous?
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 2:53:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Tabless design with much lower resistance allows them to roll a much larger cell.
View Quote

So compared to what they’re running now what’s the performance gain?
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 2:56:00 PM EDT
[#9]
40mm high density lithium battery.  

40mm grenade launcher.

May bring a new meaning to canned heat.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 2:56:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gasoline doesn't thermal runaway, self-oxidize, or get very angry and mean when it comes into contact with H2O

Link Posted: 9/16/2020 2:57:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So compared to what they’re running now what’s the performance gain?
View Quote

Right now, just "better" No hard numbers yet.

They are supposed to unveil it as part of a "Battery day" in a week or so.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 3:00:06 PM EDT
[#12]
9/22 is battery day.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Is there any IP on this or is it basically just a big, tab-less 18650 that everyone else can make?

Link Posted: 9/16/2020 3:07:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Is there any IP on this or is it basically just a big, tab-less 18650 that everyone else can make?

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/7727/production/_103330503_musk3.jpg

View Quote

"Earlier this year, Tesla applied for a patent a new battery cell with a tabless electrode that Elon Musk hyped as “way more important than it sounds.”"

Link Posted: 9/16/2020 3:08:51 PM EDT
[#15]
how long until someone puts one in a flashlight?
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
how long until someone puts one in a fleshlight?
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/16/2020 3:23:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Just touch the trigger, the beam comes on and you put the red dot where you want the bullet to go. You can't miss. Anything else? The Terminator : Phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range.

Soon...  
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#18]
BIG BATTERIES MAKE BIG POWER
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 3:26:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's no replacement for... big cells?

I like big cells and I cannot lie, you other brothers can't deny
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 3:59:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Every "revolutionary" battery advancement in my lifetime has been meh.  They've been promising "breakthroughs" that will enable electric vehicles to not be a joke for everyday use since I was first old enough to drive.  

I'll get excited when REAL products hit the shelves for consumer use that are significantly better than current lithium batteries.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#21]
That's just a 22uF motor starting capacitor for an old Fedders window unit.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#22]
$75/kwh hour cost? What?
the grid is only $0.12

that doesn't seem right
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 4:21:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
$75/kwh hour cost? What?
the grid is only $0.12

that doesn't seem right
View Quote

The cost of the battery to store the power.  So a 100 wh battery would be 75*100 = $7500.    That's a significant drop in cost of batteries and either the cars or profit for the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The cost of the battery to store the power.  So a 100 wh battery would be 75*100 = $7500.    That's a significant drop in cost of batteries and either the cars or profit for the manufacturer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$75/kwh hour cost? What?
the grid is only $0.12

that doesn't seem right

I guess that's a way to compare batteries, but how many times it can be charged is really the important factor. Does that figure distinguish between once use batteries and a million cycle battery?
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Every "revolutionary" battery advancement in my lifetime has been meh.  They've been promising "breakthroughs" that will enable electric vehicles to not be a joke for everyday use since I was first old enough to drive.  

I'll get excited when REAL products hit the shelves for consumer use that are significantly better than current lithium batteries.
View Quote

I dunno.

Looking at cordless tools and RC cars/aircraft, it seems like battery tech has advanced pretty nicely over the last 25 years or so.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 4:48:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Right now  the tesla powerwall is 13.5Kwh and cost about 1k per kwh.  100ah 12v lipos for solar systems start at about $750.  So $75 is a big deal.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 4:49:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Gasoline doesn't thermal runaway, self-oxidize, or get very angry and mean when it comes into contact with H2O

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It also doesn't electrocute you.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 4:52:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I guess that's a way to compare batteries, but how many times it can be charged is really the important factor. Does that figure distinguish between once use batteries and a million cycle battery?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
$75/kwh hour cost? What?
the grid is only $0.12

that doesn't seem right

Rumors say it’s expected to last about 3000-4000 charge cycles before significant degradation, most lithium batteries don’t go beyond 500 before significant degradation.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Interesting.  I like the idea of it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 5:01:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Considering home solar lithium storage is about $750 per kwh...  This is a 10 fold decrease in price.  It will be fucking HUGE for everything.  
Home solar panels are closing in on 500wh per panel (at $0.50 wh now too.)
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 5:13:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Rumors say it’s expected to last about 3000-4000 charge cycles before significant degradation, most lithium batteries don’t go beyond 500 before significant degradation.
View Quote

I think the 500 cycles number is based on maximum continuous discharge until they're dead. So the battery is working the hardest it can and running it down past where you would in most applications.

I have 18650 cells that have thousands of cycles
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 5:16:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That's just a 22uF motor starting capacitor for an old Fedders window unit.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/16/2020 5:21:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Considering home solar lithium storage is about $750 per kwh...  This is a 10 fold decrease in price.  It will be fucking HUGE for everything.  
Home solar panels are closing in on 500wh per panel (at $0.50 wh now too.)
View Quote

What I'm seeing (I've owned an electric car and a couple hybrids) is that the cost per kWh is production cost, not end-consumer cost. So you and I won't be able to go to ye olde battery store and buy a 1kWh battery pack for $75. It'll probably still cost us hundreds.

In 2017, I bought a camper and really would have loved to have a lithium battery for it. $1k for a 100aH 12V equivalent. In 2020? $1k. Prices on consumer units haven't gone down much at all.

If car manufacturers can start baking in (or baking out) that reduction in cost to the sticker price, then we'll see movement.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

"Earlier this year, Tesla applied for a patent a new battery cell with a tabless electrode that Elon Musk hyped as "way more important than it sounds.""

https://electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2020/09/Screen-Shot-2020-05-07-at-4.04.03-PM-e1588893154932.jpg?strip=info&w=1258
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/7727/production/_103330503_musk3.jpg

"Earlier this year, Tesla applied for a patent a new battery cell with a tabless electrode that Elon Musk hyped as "way more important than it sounds.""

https://electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2020/09/Screen-Shot-2020-05-07-at-4.04.03-PM-e1588893154932.jpg?strip=info&w=1258
Yeah, I saw that they filed a patent application.  Not being an expert in battery IP that application could be more worthless than a Zimbabwean dollar.

Link Posted: 9/16/2020 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But does it cause cancer in the state of California?

We'll just build the enviornmental cleanup cost into your car insurance premiums.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 5:30:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Should I buy a shitload of TSLA stocks now?
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

We'll just build the enviornmental cleanup cost into your car insurance premiums.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apperently,  everything causes cancer in California.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True but thermal runaway of lithium/cobalt or magnesium batteries is really scary shit.

Lithium Iron phosphate doesn't have the issue or any of the other major safety problems.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I think the 500 cycles number is based on maximum continuous discharge until they're dead. So the battery is working the hardest it can and running it down past where you would in most applications.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes those are complete charge/discharge cycles, everyone who’s honest goes by complete cycles, because anything else is arbitrary, and easier to defraud, (if you discharge you cells less than your competitors, your battery will out perform them)
And yes if you baby a cell and don’t deplete it entirely every time it will last much longer, if tesla isn’t bsing us, then a babied battery could go for a LONG time.

there are Tesla’s with original batteries in them with over 600,000 miles on them now, but as you said, they’ve been babied to some degree. Most tend to last between 300,000 to 500,000 miles depending upon use/abuse, it should be noted that the upper number on that average is still rising.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#41]
I always like new things. I have been holding off on a battery pack for a while now. $1000 vs $7500 would  Be an enormous game changer not just for off the grid living but also for maintenance of the power grid itself. Think about all the homes charging the batteries at night where there is less Voltaic draw and then discharging during the day to power the air conditioning lights and computers that are otherwise dormant at night.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 5:54:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

What I'm seeing (I've owned an electric car and a couple hybrids) is that the cost per kWh is production cost, not end-consumer cost. So you and I won't be able to go to ye olde battery store and buy a 1kWh battery pack for $75. It'll probably still cost us hundreds.

In 2017, I bought a camper and really would have loved to have a lithium battery for it. $1k for a 100aH 12V equivalent. In 2020? $1k. Prices on consumer units haven't gone down much at all.

If car manufacturers can start baking in (or baking out) that reduction in cost to the sticker price, then we'll see movement.
View Quote

If it still costs hundreds per kWh on the consumer side - there's still a 50%+ drop in price possible versus current tech batteries.

That's tremendous.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$75/kwh hour cost? What?
the grid is only $0.12

that doesn't seem right

Missed it a little

100wh battery would be $7.50

A golf cart battery, fairly inexpensive lead deep cycle, is ~$100 per kWh of storage

So they are trying to make something cheaper per kWh, which is presumably much, much lighter, smaller and has a much higher charge and discharge rate

It’s a very big deal if they can do it

I suspect the technology is still a number of years away
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 6:09:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Something tells me that my new Vape is going to last through the next Ice Age.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#45]
This would reduce the vehicle manufacturing costs by about 20%.

You could be looking at a sub $30k Model 3 with this battery cell.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#46]
When they go.. will it be high order or low order?
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

BIG BATTERY ENERGY
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
When they go.. will it be high order or low order?
View Quote

Sounds like a test folks can do...later.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 6:22:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Interesting
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Yep, that battery would be a big deal.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top