Link Posted: 9/23/2020 2:36:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 2:36:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEha5qkagGw
New battery is 46mm x 80mm

Also talking about a $25,000 car eventually and showed off a sports car that gets 520 miles per charge.
View Quote

Watched the whole thing live. New Plaid S is insane, I'll be trading in/selling my current one as soon as it's available. Put $30k in carbon fiber wheels and carbon ceramic brakes in it to have the fastest Model S around and they come out with this <2 years later...

Ordered!

Still holding on to my "2020" Roadster order too, we'll see how the performance compares, hopefully the SpaceX package pushes a good bit above, because Plaid S is kinda eating it's lunch based on released specs.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 4:37:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

not like a battery fire.
View Quote

Which one of the fires makes you deader?

Big, I’m glad I go shot in the head by a .223 instead of 308
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 8:32:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Watched the whole thing live. New Plaid S is insane, I'll be trading in/selling my current one as soon as it's available. Put $30k in carbon fiber wheels and carbon ceramic brakes in it to have the fastest Model S around and they come out with this <2 years later...

Ordered!

https://i.imgur.com/PJJSTcP.png

Still holding on to my "2020" Roadster order too, we'll see how the performance compares, hopefully the SpaceX package pushes a good bit above, because Plaid S is kinda eating it's lunch based on released specs.
View Quote

I ordered one and will trade in my Ludicrous mode car for it.  1100 hp under sec 0-60 and a 1:30 around Laguna Seca, impressive.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 8:43:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I ordered one and will trade in my Ludicrous mode car for it.  1100 hp under sec 0-60 and a 1:30 around Laguna Seca, impressive.
View Quote

That Laguna Seca time is only about a half second off the Porsche 918 Spyder!
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 8:47:18 AM EDT
[#6]
This battery pretty much signals the end of the fossil fuel age.

~$50/KWh is much better than I was expecting.

ICE cars are going to seem absolutely dumb in comparison by about 2025.

I'm sure GD galaxybrains will disagree right until the bitter end just like with coal though.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 8:52:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

not like a battery fire.

The whole (false) fire nonsense is just a mantra the TSLAQ fags repeat to feel better about losing billions of dollars.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 9:16:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm sure GD galaxybrains will disagree right until the bitter end just like with coal though.
View Quote

It's fun and games until there are rolling blackouts and you can't charge your EV.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 9:32:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Can they be recharged from empty to full in less than 5 minutes yet?
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

This battery should be able to charge much faster thanks to better thermal management properties. This is also part of the reason it works so much better on a race track.

With 400-600 mile ranges you wont need to go to supercharger stations very often.

So if your argument is that only taking 5 minutes to fill up 100% of the time vs 15 minutes 5% of the time is worth buying a slower, more expensive, less reliable car with fuel costs 4-5 times higher, it's a pretty dumb argument that will be painfully obvious around 2025.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 9:43:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/23/2020 9:44:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

$50/kWh is better than my wildest dreams for such dense storage.

If they can produce enough - this battery technology will end up everywhere. Quickly.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 9:44:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This battery should be able to charge much faster thanks to better thermal management properties. This is also part of the reason it works so much better on a race track.

With 400-600 mile ranges you wont need to go to supercharger stations very often.

So if your argument is that only taking 5 minutes to fill up 100% of the time vs 15 minutes 5% of the time is worth buying a slower, more expensive, less reliable car with fuel costs 4-5 times higher, it's a pretty dumb argument that will be painfully obvious around 2025.
View Quote

You are underestimating the value a large portion of the population puts on convenience over pretentious statements via vehicle choice.

It is a legitimate concern that will need to be addressed before EVs can and will be more widely accepted. "Can I refill it quickly and with no hassle as easily as my $15,000 kia shitbox?"
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 9:46:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

But does it cause cancer in the state of California?

We'll just build the enviornmental cleanup cost into your car insurance premiums.
View Quote
Is there anything that DOESN'T cause cancer in the state of California?

Nick
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 9:55:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I dunno.

Looking at cordless tools and RC cars/aircraft, it seems like battery tech has advanced pretty nicely over the last 25 years or so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every "revolutionary" battery advancement in my lifetime has been meh.  They've been promising "breakthroughs" that will enable electric vehicles to not be a joke for everyday use since I was first old enough to drive.  

I'll get excited when REAL products hit the shelves for consumer use that are significantly better than current lithium batteries.

I dunno.

Looking at cordless tools and RC cars/aircraft, it seems like battery tech has advanced pretty nicely over the last 25 years or so.

That is the true revolution of lithium batteries.  Man, NiCd batteries sucked dick.  Tesla does a better job than prior electric car tech, but it's pretty obvious something better than lithium is needed to properly do what Musk intends.  There isn't even enough lithium out there to make anything close to enough cars, and that alone will stymie any "transformation of the industry."
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 9:58:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So if you're the 3rd EV car at the gas pump you're going to be waiting 30+minutes just to fill up?  You'll have a line of electric cars out the gas station and it'll look like the 70's gas crisis, lol.  How much electricity is that anyway?  What kind of infrastructure at gas stations and for the electric grid would it take to support widespread EV use that doesn't involve the above scenario?  Even with vehicle with 400 mile ranges, people will still drive them until they're almost empty like they do a gas engine. Then they have to charge up whenever that occurs.  4-5 years just sounds too soon, maybe in 10 years.  Tesla's a luxury brand.  If Toyota and Honda can make reliable EVs with 400+ mile range in a nice looking package for like $20k w/ installation of a home charger throne in, then we'll be getting somewhere. Until then, this is all just a game for those wealthy enough to play it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You are underestimating the value a large portion of the population puts on convenience over pretentious statements via vehicle choice.

It is a legitimate concern that will need to be addressed before EVs can and will be more widely accepted. "Can I refill it quickly and with no hassle as easily as my $15,000 kia shitbox?"
View Quote

Can your Kia shitbox fill it's own gas tank up overnight and leave with a full tank every day at a cost that it 4-5x lower per mile than a gas station?
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Five years won't be enough time to get construction permits for all the power plants you'll need, let alone the grid infrastructure.  Sorry kid, them's the breaks.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:06:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The whole (false) fire nonsense is just a mantra the TSLAQ fags repeat to feel better about losing billions of dollars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

not like a battery fire.

So battery fires are a myth, now.

Galaxy brain, indeed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:07:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

So if you're the 3rd EV car at the gas pump you're going to be waiting 30+minutes just to fill up?  You'll have a line of electric cars out the gas station and it'll look like the 70's gas crisis, lol.  How much electricity is that anyway?  What kind of infrastructure at gas stations and for the electric grid would it take to support widespread EV use that doesn't involve the above scenario?  Even with vehicle with 400 mile ranges, people will still drive them until they're almost empty like they do a gas engine. Then they have to charge up whenever that occurs.  4-5 years just sounds too soon, maybe in 10 years.  Tesla's a luxury brand.  If Toyota and Honda can make reliable EVs with 400+ mile range in a nice looking package for like $20k w/ installation of a home charger throne in, then we'll be getting somewhere. Until then, this is all just a game for those wealthy enough to play it.
View Quote

...more long disproven 2008 boomer hot takes.

This battery will enable $25k full range cars. A $25K EV would have the same operating costs as an $18k ICE vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Five years won't be enough time to get construction permits for all the power plants you'll need, let alone the grid infrastructure.  Sorry kid, them's the breaks.
View Quote

Clearly you've never done the math.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:08:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Bet that would make a hell of a fire.
View Quote

The 18650 or 21700 batteries are not as big a risk as much perceive. The notion that they burst into flames at a minor dent comes from RC Li batteries that are designed for much greater power out and so are much more unstable and prone to heat problems when charging and discharging.
Can the Tesla batteries fire off, sure, but it takes a bit more than most people believe.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:09:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Galaxy brain, indeed.
View Quote

It's a myth that they exist at rates any different than ICE cars.

Gasoline is flammable too, you know...
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:10:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If they can produce enough - this battery technology will end up everywhere. Quickly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably.  But it's not made yet, and it isn't like Musk has overpromised on affordability, profitability, schedule, and scalability in the recent past.  Hope it works, though; might mean cooler-running cell phones, at least
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:11:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, every Gulf metropolis will collapse the grid ahead of every tropical storm.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:12:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your scenario doesn't account for being able to charge at home, businesses, etc.

With ICE you have to go to a gas station to fill up.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Nick
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But does it cause cancer in the state of California?

We'll just build the enviornmental cleanup cost into your car insurance premiums.

Nick

Oddly enough, cancer.

Needs a Mao/RTFM style meme;
WTFM (Wear The Fucking Mask)
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:13:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Galaxy brain, indeed.
View Quote
Not a myth, but WAYYY overblown.
This comes from the RC battery folks, but they are using a whole different battery design, much, much more unstable and prone to thermal runaway and minor punctures.
I have right next me a couple of 19650 batteries that look like someone loved them with vice grips, no flames.
I would not do that with an RC Li battery,
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:14:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

There isn't even enough lithium out there to make anything close to enough cars, and that alone will stymie any "transformation of the industry."
View Quote

wrong.

There is enough lithium in a single clay deposit in Nevada to change every US car into an EV.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:15:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why, do electrons bound for Musk's batteries not obey Ohm's Law?
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:16:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Galaxy brain, indeed.

Gasoline fires are *much* less stubborn, however.

Imagine if every top fuel dragster that blew a cylinder had to be allowed to burn into a molten pile of slag at the track, instead of a few short bursts from a fire extinguisher, then hauled off the strip.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:16:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Probably.  But it's not made yet, and it isn't like Musk has overpromised on affordability, profitability, schedule, and scalability in the recent past.  Hope it works, though; might mean cooler-running cell phones, at least
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree - and I remain cautiously optimistic. This really is quite a step forward and will translate to future battery technology of the same general type. Tabless batteries solve a lot of issues associated with heat and limited draw.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't done the math and I have no dog in this fight - but that was funny as hell.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:16:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Gasoline doesn't thermal runaway, self-oxidize, or get very angry and mean when it comes into contact with H2O

View Quote

Yeah, but still. The inventor of gasoline didn't have a three way with Amber Heard & Cara Delevingne, either.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:17:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Your scenario doesn't account for being able to charge at home, businesses, etc.

With ICE you have to go to a gas station to fill up.
View Quote

5 minute fill-up 100% of the time, vs. 15 minute supercharge 5% of the time.

Ultimately with the EV your total time spent at "fuelling" station is far less because 95% of charging is done at home/at work/etc.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:20:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I dunno.

View Quote
no shit

when I started RC it was 15mph top speed with maybe a 3 minute run time , by the late 90s 20+ MPH nd 15-20 min run times , now 50mph+ and 30+ minute run times
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

How much energy via electricity would it take to run every car?

How much energy via electricity does the US use total every year?

Now, considering it would take ~two decades to transition to a fully electric fleet, how does this compare with the growth in total US electricity usage observed over the last few decades?

Answer these questions, and you'll realize how dumb your copy/paste 2009 boomer talking point is.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:23:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It's fun and games until there are rolling blackouts and you can't charge your EV.
View Quote

You don't understand.

Solar is getting absurdly cheap, not just sort-of-cheap, I can build a 10kw (Less inversion) system for $2,500. This is enough juice at my house to give a car 300+ miles of range a day, EASY. The lifespan of said solar panels is ~20 years. That's 2.19 MILLION MILES worth of power I can make for a $2,500 fee. If your average gas powered car gets say 30mpg , that's equal to making 73,000 gallons of gasoline, or gas for 3.4 cents a gallon.

There's always been a point that it becomes VERY stupid to not do solar......and that time is now close to the horizion.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I agree - and I remain cautiously optimistic. This really is quite a step forward and will translate to future battery technology of the same general type. Tabless batteries solve a lot of issues associated with heat and limited draw.

I haven't done the math and I have no dog in this fight - but that was funny as hell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I heard (not these guys that I know of) someone claim that the reduced resistance of the batteries meant the load on the grid would be less of a problem, because the "juice can flow into the battery easier."

Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I heard (not these guys that I know of) someone claim that the reduced resistance of the batteries meant the load on the grid would be less of a problem, because the "juice can flow into the battery easier."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That kind of gross lack of understanding can be discarded out of hand. It happens with every single field - there are always outspoken people who don't understand what they don't understand.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:25:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yeah, but still. The inventor of gasoline didn't have a three way with Amber Heard & Cara Delevingne, either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gasoline doesn't thermal runaway, self-oxidize, or get very angry and mean when it comes into contact with H2O

Oil fueled quite a few orgies, I assure you.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:26:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
There isn't even enough lithium out there to make anything close to enough cars, and that alone will stymie any "transformation of the industry."
View Quote

During the presentation, Musk mentioned that there is enough lithium in the US to power every motor vehicle currently on the road in the US - and that's just the presently known Li sources, and without battery recycling. As the installed base of vehicles with lithium batteries becomes significant - and old batteries start to age out in sizable quantities, a lot of the lithium in new batteries would come from old ones.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:27:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Now, considering it would take ~two decades to transition to a fully electric fleet, how does this compare with the growth in total US electricity usage observed over the last few decades?

Answer these questions, and you'll realize how dumb your copy/paste 2009 boomer talking point is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"By 2025 ICE will look really dumb"

By 2050?  Sure, why not.  But we'll have cold fusion by then, so power will be less of an issue.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You don't understand.

Solar is getting absurdly cheap, not just sort-of-cheap, I can build a 10kw (Less inversion) system for $2,500. This is enough juice at my house to give a car 300+ miles of range a day, EASY. The lifespan of said solar panels is ~20 years. That's 2.19 MILLION MILES worth of power I can make for a $2,500 fee. If your average gas powered car gets say 30mpg , that's equal to making 73,000 gallons of gasoline, or gas for 3.4 cents a gallon.

There's always been a point that it becomes VERY stupid to not do solar......and that time is now close to the horizion.
View Quote

Solar was never a real option without cheap storage... now cheap storage is here.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:30:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You don't understand.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't understand.

Ah, OH, that explains it.  We get hail down south.

Your whole house solar is a drop in the bucket for powering a car, I'm afraid.  Think like a week per charge.

And if you're charging at night off a storage battery, the losses compound quite a bit.

Solar makes sense when the grid is not available, and cheap panels make it nearly practical to live where there is no grid (as in you aren't foregoing many comforts).  You will be forgoing an electric car, however.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:30:40 AM EDT
[#45]
And the fun thing here is that everyone can put their $$$ where their mouths are and either buy tesla stock, or short it, or invest in companies with competing technologies you like.

I know which one i'm doing.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:30:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Best response I have for that is, "What if every time you left your house in the morning, you always had a full tank?  How often would you need to refuel before returning home?  For most people, it's a couple of times a year at most when they take a vacation trip or something.  Imagine only having to stop for fuel two times a year."
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
And the fun thing here is that everyone can put their $$$ where their mouths are and either buy tesla stock, or short it, or invest in companies with competing technologies you like.

I know which one i'm doing.
View Quote

Shorting Tesla is betting against fools being foolish on a given date.

Losing strategy.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:33:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

"By 2025 ICE will look really dumb"

By 2050?  Sure, why not.  But we'll have cold fusion by then, so power will be less of an issue.
View Quote

The kind of car you can buy after 2025 for a set amount of money will favor the EV heavily... Unless people want to spend more money on a slower car with much higher maintenance and fuel costs.

Every year it will be more obvious.

The 2025 base model 3 will be better than today's M3 performance, and the 2025 M3 performance will probably be an 800 hp monster with 500 miles of range.

Also, good dodge at the actual questions I posed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Best response I have for that is, "What if every time you left your house in the morning, you always had a full tank?  How often would you need to refuel before returning home?  For most people, it's a couple of times a year at most when they take a vacation trip or something.  Imagine only having to stop for fuel two times a year."
View Quote

It just means planning for long trips.  Which we used to do; early route 66 you'd see Model It's with Jerry cans strapped onto them, spare tires, and engine tools.  Very doable to cross country in an electric, just a different mindset that harkens back to an era of less infrastructure on highways; "last gas for 200 miles"
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:37:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ok, so is there an EV to include price of home charging station that can match the price of the kia shitbox?

Assuming same range or so of about 350mi.

Did a quick google search of the current cheapest cars in the US for 2020.

Kia Forte - $18,715
Kia Soul - $18,535
Chevrolet Sonic - $17,595
Honda Fit - $17,120
Kia Rio - $16,675
Toyota Yaris - $16,555
Hyundai Accent - $15,925
Nissan Versa - $15,625
Mitsubishi Mirage - $14,990
Chevrolet Spark - $14,095
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top