Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:07:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
People have broken out of prisons in the past, does that mean we should just let them all go?
View Quote
Yes... Free DANTSX!!!

Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:08:30 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's going to be steel it needs to have the tops shaped to a point and then laced with razor wire.  The lower sections could be alarmed.  If you create a zone between the primary wall and a less robust fence and fill it with razor wire you could really cut down on the covert tourists dropping in on us.  Personally, I'm liking reinforced concrete with a razor wire top and sentry posts every mile or so.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:08:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A couple of stalks of rebar inside that concrete would make that a whole lot more difficult.

No barrier is impenetrable.
View Quote
It just needs to slow them down, like a prison wall. A prison perimeter fence system would do. They commonly have layered security. Three fences with barbed and/or razor wire, a 10 yard no man's land between both, and the entire area monitored by motion and sound sensors that activate flood lighting and/or infrared lighting to illuminate the area and a shitload of high-def cameras, which are becoming cheaper every year, including the ruggedized and weatherized PTZ cameras.

And modern systems do not need 24/7 monitoring by a team of coffee drinkers. They can be configured to notify an operator when the movement and sound sensors detect large mammals such as humans and the camera software can utilize various algorithms to detect human beings in their FOV. This tech is mostly open source. OpenCV, for instance.

Using the prison fence model, you don't need an expensive wall. Fences, sensors and cameras will do it all. And fences are much cheaper to repair. But you will need quick response times. Border agents in helicopters and 4x4s must be available to respond quickly.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a dumb question, how did this whole steel thing start? Is it just bullshit from the left?
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm sure your garden variety political refugee could accomplish that is 30 minutes with a hacksaw blade and some duct tape.
View Quote
Maybe. Add sensors to alert what section of the fence is having a problem, then dispatch a drone.

An armed drone.

NOBODY is saying this wall in guaranteed impenetrable. How'd that work out for the Berlin Wall? Brave people still crossed over. Less than hundreds a year. Right now we are talking over 4,000 murderers a year getting in, much less the other 250,000. It's a start. Don't forget, four years of no wall is another 1 million voters. How long are we going to let this happen?

Once things settle down, then the paid dregs of Central America - much less the Bangladeshis getting to Mexico for $16,000 and walking in - will trickle to a manageable level.  Nobody said the Border Patrol was going to cut back because this wall is so super great. Not even.

Right now there is NO effective wall in some areas. You put up what will make some reconsider, then as attacks on the wall increase in what they think are it's vulnerable points, you move your focus to those spots. Eventually we will restrict ingress at airports where we have the real problems.

Think about how we are going to do that.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Every fence also needs a sturdy gate.  Something like this sends a message...

Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Add sniper towers every mile set back about 500 meters from the wall.  Random rotation on which ones are manned (if for some reason we can’t man them all)... drone support to keep watch.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Barrier = force mulitplier.

A barrier with zero force still yields zero force.  A wall with a little bit of force yields a shitload of force.
Add sniper towers every mile set back about 500 meters from the wall.  Random rotation on which ones are manned (if for some reason we can’t man them all)... drone support to keep watch.
I like that one with the monorail on the top.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:18:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Has anyone ever sawed trough a claymore?
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:19:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't understand why we just don't use drones with a rapid response force every x amount of distance to snatch up border jumpers.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:23:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Basically this is the same cabal that rigged the fuel tank on a GM pickup to explode in a crash test because it wouldn't explode after several attempts for a hard hitting expose
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:23:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a dumb question, how did this whole steel thing start? Is it just bullshit from the left?
View Quote
Once again for the people who don't follow...  apparently anything, straight from Trump's Twitter

Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
As I understand it.  With the concrete wall, you cannot see what is going on on the other side.  So a steel wall, with openings would be a better choice.  Some Dems were saying if we are going to build a wall, build the right one.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:29:15 PM EDT
[#14]
That’s not sawn that’s torch cut.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:29:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I've always like this concept. Keep the wall as the last line of defense. If someone has a latter they would first have to cross the fence with it entering the enforcement zone.

Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
As I understand it.  With the concrete wall, you cannot see what is going on on the other side.  So a steel wall, with openings would be a better choice.  Some Dems were saying if we are going to build a wall, build the right one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably has more to do with the steel industry needing a bit of the pie.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Fake news. No barrier is completely impenetrable but that's not what the story is meant to convey.

The Trump administration directed the construction of eight steel and concrete prototype walls that were built in Otay Mesa, California, just across the border from Tijuana, Mexico. Trump inspected the prototypes in March 2018. He has now settled on a steel slat, or steel bollard, design for the proposed border barrier additions. Steel bollard fencing has been used under previous administrations.

However, testing by DHS in late 2017 showed all eight prototypes, including the steel slats, were vulnerable to breaching, according to an internal February 2018 U.S. Customs and Border Protection report.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:38:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IIRC, the steel see-thru wall was requested by the Border Patrol.  When there was a bad hombre on the Mexican side on a ladder, they wanted the ability to see him before he got over the wall.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:40:31 PM EDT
[#19]
This with guns to patrol border.

Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Steel + electricity.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I hope they ask Trump about this.  Just respond that bad hombres (drug dealers, criminal, rapists...) have lots of money for bombs, blowtorches, and tools.  It's very profitable for them to enter illegally.  
And that's why we need better laws to catch/deter them.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:44:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Anything that can be built can be demo’d...
View Quote
this is why the wall needs to be at least 1500 feet tall, 1 mile thick and extend 1000 ft underground...  be studded with glass and sharp metal and they need one of those pendulum things like they had in GOT to swing out and knock the climbers off.

drop the scythe boys!
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Walls/Fences work even low tech like these built years ago San Diego County.

An unqualified success in every aspect.

Well, except it forced illegals to cross in the desert of the Imperial Valley where they died

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxhhjfiSy2Y
View Quote
That area in San Diego is a high density/high population area with tons of infrastructure to support that inexpensive fence.

The same fence out in the boonies without the infrastructure and technology to support it would be almost useless.

For the boonies, you might want a wall that's 40 feet above ground and 30 feet underground to thwart the casual tunneler. Dig a trench 5 feet wide and 30 feet deep and fill it with concrete. Then build your wall on top of it. Digging under that wall will be a PITA and motion and sound sensors can provide ample warning that someone is digging.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
The border patrol want's a fence they can see through. To them it's a safety issue that the wall not obscure those on the other side. Also makes it easier to pinpoint where impending intrusions are taking place.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:58:30 PM EDT
[#25]
So what ? Anything built can be destroyed. The question is time and expense.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#26]
looks like it was cut with a torch, not a saw.

One minute the migrants are dieing of thirst in the desert, next thing you know Juan comes out from behind a cactus with a harbor freight tool chest.

Why don’t they say something realistic like, with ten pounds of Thermite...

If the concrete core can snap out once the case is cut, mix in fiberglass.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#27]
They'll never destroy Trump's wall.

You know why.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:19:31 PM EDT
[#28]
This is why democrats argued for a steel barrier instead of concrete.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:21:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This is why democrats argued for a steel barrier instead of concrete.
View Quote
Supposedly Border Patrol wanted something you could see through.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#30]
saw? looks like torch work
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
NBC said that did they?  I wonder what "common tools" they were referring to because that pic looks like it took a fucking plasma cutting torch
View Quote
Yep...this
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:35:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Yes, but not by 90% of the people trying to get in.

It would have to be a dynamic defense, with sensors, surveillance, and rapid response teams.

And everify to cut down the attractiveness of coming in the first place.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:43:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Supposedly Border Patrol wanted something you could see through.
View Quote
Hi resolution cameras on tall poles well back from the wall have a computer scanning 24/7/365

Between cameras,UAVs,Satellites,dogs,agents,US military, we can do this if we have the will.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
looks like it was cut with a torch, not a saw.

One minute the migrants are dieing of thirst in the desert, next thing you know Juan comes out from behind a cactus with a harbor freight tool chest.
View Quote
Because the people cutting the holes or digging the tunnels are coyotes or drug runners, not some hapless illegal dying of thirst in the desert.

See, the coyotes are being paid.  Its a job.  A for profit endeavor.  And, the more difficult it is to get in, the more they can charge.

Just like drugs.  Make them hard to get, and the price goes up.  As the price goes up, so does the incentive to smuggle in drugs.

Round numbers, only about 650 miles of the 2,000 mile border currently has any form of fencing/barrier.  Even then, much of it is vehicle barriers, not barriers that prevent pedestrians.  People can just walk over/past them.

For the Texas border with Mexico, there is some fencing/barriers in the El Paso area, and some down in the valley near the gulf.  In between, there is approx. 1,000 miles without any fencing/barriers.  Give or take.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#35]
TL;DR

Step 1. Build the wall.

Step 2. Let the noise subside.

Step 3. Enhance the wall.

Problem solved.

TC
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
What? I thought that they had a team of SOF types assigned to try and defeat the various Wall prototypes submitted for testing? Supposedly they determined which Walls that they could not defeat. Did they not find this out way back then?????
View Quote
This isn't the wall they selected, though; it was a concrete ogive thing
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#37]
What kind of a pansy boy do you have to be to be surprised by this?
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 4:00:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
FAKE NEWS.
That was a cutting torch they used, besides WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?
So we go back to reinforced concrete.
No problem, thanks for pointing that out.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 4:04:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Very easy to put sensors along the wall to detect physical attacks on the infrastructure.
View Quote
This.

Just launch a hellfire missile at any area that gets flagged on the sensors.

This isn't hard.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This.

Just launch a hellfire missile at any area that gets flagged on the sensors.

This isn't hard.
View Quote
Guaranteed the Narcos will be throwing babies over with catapults and having their comrades on our side waiting with cameras to blame President Trump and his racist border proponents...

The democrats and narcos won't care how many brown babies they have to sacrifice in order to get the open borders they want.

Narcos want to peddle dope...democrats want to peddle votes

Roe v Wade answers the questions how many babies are the left willing to sacrifice.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#41]
I know I may not be politically correct but a DMZ is what is needed.  Chain link with warning followed by the big wall and Dillion Mini's on the other side.
That would take care of a main portion and then only the Cartel has to adapt.  Augment with armed drones with both lethal and non lethal options.

Imagine a Predator drone with cluster sting ball munitions. Why not just add in some sting ball mines between the fences as well.  Now I know a metal trash can over your head could get past that but tier two is lethal.  
Cut funding to the UN and other BS aid and make it happen.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 4:28:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I know I may not be politically correct but a DMZ is what is needed.  Chain link with warning followed by the big wall and Dillion Mini's on the other side.
That would take care of a main portion and then only the Cartel has to adapt.  Augment with armed drones with both lethal and non lethal options.

Imagine a Predator drone with cluster sting ball munitions. Why not just add in some sting ball mines between the fences as well.  Now I know a metal trash can over your head could get past that but tier two is lethal.  
Cut funding to the UN and other BS aid and make it happen.
View Quote
or dig a moat and fill it with sharks with lasers.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#43]
An all steel wall energized with low voltage current and equipped with resistance sensors makes sense to me. The sensors would detect if someone touches it or tries to cut through and pinpoint the exact location, much the same way trains are located on the tracks.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 4:48:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Easy fix...make it electrified...used solar panels to charge transformers to bump up the juice and make the evirowackos happy. You touch it you die.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 4:53:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Barrier = force mulitplier.

A barrier with zero force still yields zero force.  A wall with a little bit of force yields a shitload of force.
View Quote
This.  With a barrier, 10 border guards become like 100 or more.

And it's a prototype.  Not the prototype.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:12:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Yep the Narcos and the American left don't want a wall or any kind of barrier for them to ply their trades.

One trades in dope and human misery the other in votes and human misery.

You can be guaranteed that if there is a cost to defeated any barrier in terms of human suffering both the Narcos and
Democrats will make sure that the most innocent are sacrificed and the media will be there to capture the moment
for all to see...then they will blame president Trump & his supporters.

It's the commie way...they have done it that way all around the world in order to get what they want.

They want to destroy the America of our founders...and rid America of any vestigial Americana and Americans
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:26:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The wall is essential but we need to remove the incentives for coming here.  Get rid of any assistance to illegals: no free medical, no free schooling, no free food, nothing.  If we catch you here illegally there should be harsh sentencing vs the bs “here’s a notice to show up for court. Now be on your way good sir/senorita.”
View Quote
This, I don't care how bad ass or expensive the wall / barrier / whatever is, it won't make a bit of difference until something is done about the things attracting them here.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#49]
if the idea of a wall is so distasteful why cant we simply install a mine field. Ta-Da! no wall, no barrier, curtain, fence, etc to hurt anyones feelz. Nothing but wide open space for a couple hundred yards on each side of the border. Cross at your own risk. I seriously have zero problem with this and think its a solid cost effective deterrant.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:48:54 PM EDT
[#50]
I bet if you shot some of those who cut it would not happen much.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top