Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 3:15:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Texas view:
Attachment Attached File

Appalachian view (SW Virginia, WVA, NC and TN)
Attachment Attached File

I've seen Texas and I'm not saying it wasn't pretty, but I have no desire to see it again. I could see Appalachia for the rest of my life and it wouldn't be enough. I'm good.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#2]
We were in TX back in late June-early July as part of a family road trip we did for 17 days.  Spent time in Austin, Houston, Dallas (caught an Astros-Rangers game, enjoyed that!), San Antonio & Galveston.  This was only the second time I've been to TX and I still liked it very much.  A million times better than most of NY, that's for sure.  The weather was brutally hot, that was kind of a bummer.  My likes & dislikes, as a NYer:

It's not behind enemy lines like my home in upstate NY
BBQ was delish!
In-and-Out Burgers, yum
MLB stadiums are air conditioned domes
Highway speed limits 75+
Good Tex-Mex food
Typically all around friendlier people
Nicer weather than NY in the winter
Very few Northeasterners
Gulf Coast
People are by and large proud of their state and its history
San Antonio - The Riverwalk, The Alamo, etc.
Cities were nicer than NYC, Albany, Buffalo, etc. in my home state.  Don't reek of piss like the entirety of Manhattan does.
Wine country area

Dislikes
Too hot in the summer (was 117 one day)
Oil rigs everywhere
Mile after mile of barren looking land in the west
No mountains
Overbearing police presence almost everywhere - very "police state" NY-like
Felt like we were in Mexico at some points, as in 99% Hispanic people speaking Spanish, young and old alike, which I guess sort of makes sense as it WAS northern Mexico at one point.  In 2023 however, I would have assumed it would be culturally more American and less Mexican.  My Northeastern ignorance showing apparently, LOL.

All-in-all, TX was a decent place, I can see why Texans are proud of being Texans.  Unfortunate that a lot of Californians are moving there.  

Link Posted: 7/26/2023 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Texas view:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/559744/views_texas_jpg-2898576.JPG

Appalachian view (SW Virginia, WVA, NC and TN)
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/559744/views_appalachian_jpg-2898579.JPG

I've seen Texas and I'm not saying it wasn't pretty, but I have no desire to see it again. I could see Appalachia for the rest of my life and it wouldn't be enough. I'm good.
View Quote

Why does the land go up like that??

Link Posted: 7/26/2023 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have to tell everyone how good you are you probably aren't that good.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 3:28:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You can use it too, this land is your land, this land is my land.....or something like that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought about getting a second home in Texas once.  Then I realized that public land to shoot on is almost non-existent.  And, because of no state income tax, the property taxes are unbelievably high.
So, I decided to stay in Arizona.

Of course who needs public land to shoot on if you have private land to shoot on.

I'd rather not have to buy hundreds of acres just to have a decent long range setup. It's pretty awesome to be able to take a 15min drive and shoot miles in any direction.

Yall yankee people sure love to freeload

You can use it too, this land is your land, this land is my land.....or something like that.

I dont have to deal with retards on private land
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 3:29:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you have to tell everyone how good you are you probably aren't that good.
View Quote

The purpose isn't to affirm the belief, it's to demean those who are lesser.

Being an Okie, it's unsurprising you resent the greatness that is Texas.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Tell everybody you probably only lived in a place like Dallas and never ventured out without telling everybody.  Like Texas or not, calling it ugly is retarded, especially coming from somebody living in AZ.  Texas has plains, mountains, coast, pine forest and hill/wine country.  

https://globalgrasshopper.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Padre-Island-National-Seashore.jpg

https://globalgrasshopper.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Big-Bend-National-Park-Texas.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I lived in Thx I COULD NOT wait to get back to Az. Tx is ugly AF. Humid AF

Tell everybody you probably only lived in a place like Dallas and never ventured out without telling everybody.  Like Texas or not, calling it ugly is retarded, especially coming from somebody living in AZ.  Texas has plains, mountains, coast, pine forest and hill/wine country.  

https://globalgrasshopper.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Padre-Island-National-Seashore.jpg

https://globalgrasshopper.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Big-Bend-National-Park-Texas.jpg

Lol you posted HIGHLY edited photos. Az has mountains, dunes, forests, wetlands, grasslands. I can be sitting in Tucson in the 60’s and within 40 minutes be snowboarding on Mt Lemmon in the winter.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm too poor for Texas. I just looked up land for sale. To get the same about of land as the range I pay $120/yr for would be $700k+.To get the amount of land we usually hunt on would be $95,000,000+ and I doubt they have any elk there.
View Quote

Theres free range elk in west texas
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 3:32:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought about getting a second home in Texas once.  Then I realized that public land to shoot on is almost non-existent.  And, because of no state income tax, the property taxes are unbelievably high.

Of course who needs public land to shoot on if you have private land to shoot on.

I'd rather not have to buy hundreds of acres just to have a decent long range setup. It's pretty awesome to be able to take a 15min drive and shoot miles in any direction.

True, but unless you are mega rich you can't really buy the same amount that is available.

I've got hunting spots all over, from the river in town to the pines by my dad's, to the swamp down the road. I can hunt them all in a day if I feel like it, and even during deer season there aren't that many others in the woods. I only ran into one other hunter for the grouse opener last year.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 3:35:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're on it, that seems improbable.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We were in TX back in late June-early July as part of a family road trip we did for 17 days.  Spent time in Austin, Houston, Dallas (caught an Astros-Rangers game, enjoyed that!), San Antonio & Galveston.  This was only the second time I've been to TX and I still liked it very much.  A million times better than most of NY, that's for sure.  The weather was brutally hot, that was kind of a bummer.  My likes & dislikes, as a NYer:

It's not behind enemy lines like my home in upstate NY
BBQ was delish!
In-and-Out Burgers, yum
MLB stadiums are air conditioned domes
Highway speed limits 75+
Good Tex-Mex food
Typically all around friendlier people
Nicer weather than NY in the winter
Very few Northeasterners
Gulf Coast
People are by and large proud of their state and its history
San Antonio - The Riverwalk, The Alamo, etc.
Cities were nicer than NYC, Albany, Buffalo, etc. in my home state.  Don't reek of piss like the entirety of Manhattan does.

Dislikes
Too hot in the summer (was 117 one day)
Oil rigs everywhere
Mile after mile of barren looking land in the west
No mountains
Overbearing police presence almost everywhere - very "police state" NY-like
Felt like we were in Mexico at some points, as in 99% Hispanic people speaking Spanish, young and old alike, which I guess sort of makes sense as it WAS northern Mexico at one point.  In 2023 however, I would have assumed it would be culturally more American and less Mexican.  My Northeastern ignorance showing apparently, LOL.

All-in-all, TX was a decent place, I can see why Texans are proud of being Texans.  Unfortunate that a lot of Californians are moving there.  

View Quote
You won't like Florida, we speak Spanish too.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 3:37:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

True, but unless you are mega rich you can't really buy the same amount that is available.

I've got hunting spots all over, from the river in town to the pines by my dad's, to the swamp down the road. I can hunt them all in a day if I feel like it, and even during deer season there aren't that many others in the woods. I only ran into one other hunter for the grouse opener last year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're conflating access with ownership.

Of course it's expensive to buy hundreds of thousands of acres. But it's not as expensive to gain access to it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 3:38:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm too poor for Texas. I just looked up land for sale. To get the same about of land as the range I pay $120/yr for would be $700k+.To get the amount of land we usually hunt on would be $95,000,000+ and I doubt they have any elk there.

No idea where this property was but it didn’t look like elk county
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 3:39:59 PM EDT
[#14]
"Texas is big enough to be its own state!"

Texan on USS Miami, 2003.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 3:42:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Why does the land go up like that??

View Quote

God's defense for VA against illegal immigrant invasion
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Of course it's expensive to buy hundreds of thousands of acres. But it's not as expensive to gain access to it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not as expensive still has the word expensive in it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good thing Texas has a bunch of economic opportunity and prosperity.

More than anything you can get a bunch of access to land with a little old fashioned networking.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 3:54:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, your Northeastern ignorance is not showing.  Texas has changed a lot in the last 20-30 years, just as other states are seeing those same changes occurring in their states now, too.

The Spanish language has always been here in Texas but the American culture is indeed being deluded and replaced.  That’s the plan.

Link Posted: 7/26/2023 3:54:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 4:03:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Happy I left. Nonstop heat over 108 degrees so shutin for 5 months, conservatives who are conservatives in name only and do have cognizant arguments for any principles they hold dear or liberties without a religious angle, disregard for nature and environment nonstop building over everything with disgusting concrete, lack of respect for residents by allowing the build of apartments and condos introducing crime and social marxists in the name of profit and straining power and water supply. Oh and how could I forget how laughable it was when someone mentioned how nice Texans are. They are raised to be pleasant to people but won't do jack shit in terms of actions to back it up. I also loved getting charged 2x-3x for everything due to having an older Lexus, meanwhile their pickups cost twice what mine did.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 4:19:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Agreed.

Everyone God fearing Bible reading Constitutionalist Conservatives should move to Texas.
View Quote

Fixed it for you.

Same thing going on here. Liberal invaders...and we have a leftist Governor that makes it worse. Cooper willingly accepts illegal alien invaders and there are millions of them.

30+ years ago when I moved here NC was a great state. Both your state and my state have changed.

30 years ago I'd leave the house without a pistol. Now, I leave with two.

Link Posted: 7/26/2023 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's such a great hike.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Gulf Coast beaches are lame.

Guadalupe Mountain National Park is pretty neat.  Great hiking there and not just the main peak that attracts everyone.

It is an overall boring and ugly state to look at.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/99516/IMG_0931_JPG-2898553.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/99516/IMG_0932_JPG-2898552.JPG

That's such a great hike.

It really is.  Super fun hike.

Another day trip I took Bear Canyon up to the Bowl and then the Tejas back down.  Bear Canyon going up was a beast.

Some great views all over.  I would have loved to do some of the multi day trips, but ran out of time.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/26/2023 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Too many California liberals, same here in Florida
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 4:31:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Dislikes

No mountains

View Quote

Maybe not CO level mountains but we do have mountains.  You didn't go far enough west.  I think there are somewhere around 9 or 10 8k+ peaks and a bunch of 7s.  

Link Posted: 7/26/2023 4:37:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I will finish your sentence OP!

Texas is undoubtedly the best state for:
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Lol you posted HIGHLY edited photos. Az has mountains, dunes, forests, wetlands, grasslands. I can be sitting in Tucson in the 60’s and within 40 minutes be snowboarding on Mt Lemmon in the winter.
View Quote

That's great.  My point was saying it's ugly is retarded.  Also, you have no beach so there is that.  Tuscon is to much of a desert for me but the surrounding mountains are nice.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#27]
I've spent plenty of time in Texas. Ah hell no!
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Floriduh gets the New Yorkers and Massholes telling you you're doing things all wrong.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 5:12:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I lived in Thx I COULD NOT wait to get back to Az. Tx is ugly AF. Humid AF

Yes, but that is less than 10% of the state. Most of it is indeed ugly.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
@ReservedRealist2

We have more Texans moving to Floridan than Californians. In fact, Californians don't even make the top five of folks moving to Florida. According to the National Association of Realtors, close to 28% of the people relocating to Florida came from Texas and another 15% relocated from New York, with a little over 6% coming from California.

Attachment Attached File

Quoted:

Floriduh gets the New Yorkers and Massholes telling you you're doing things all wrong.

@FDC, nah brah, Texans are the number one group of folks moving to Florida. New Yorkers and New Jerseyites are second and third place.

Link Posted: 7/26/2023 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Texan living in Montana. Frankly, Montana is a lot like texas but the views are much better

Montana:
Mountains
No sales tax
Low, relative to everywhere, property taxes
Great gun laws
No big cities
80 mph speed limit almost everywhere
Mostly public land for hunting and fishing
Skiing, hiking, camping abounds
Full employment and booming industry

Bad:
Tourists
Cold winters
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

@FDC, nah brah, Texans are the number one group of folks moving to Florida. New Yorkers and New Jerseyites are second and third place.

View Quote

To tell the truth, I don't see why.

IMO both states are kind of a wash and equal with their pros/cons.  IMO the natural scenery is better in TX and the beaches are better in FL.  The weather is better in FL, each state has it's own good food.  Generally solid state governments, but the gun laws are shitty in both.  Other than that.

Favorable tax treatment in FL?
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

IMO both states are kind of a wash and equal with their pros/cons.  IMO the natural scenery is better in TX and the beaches are better in FL.  The weather is better in FL, each state has it's own good food.  Generally solid state governments, but the gun laws are shitty in both.  Other than that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@FDC, property taxes is the primary reason. We have a homestead exemption on property taxes and that makes affordability more attainable.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Lol you accidentally put diversity in the pros.

Anyways, fuck skin deep "diversity".
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#35]
I was born there, so it was. I moved, so it ain’t any more.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
@FDC, property taxes is the primary reason. We have a homestead exemption on property taxes and that makes affordability more attainable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol, you beat my edit about taxes.

Makes sense.

Not savvy on property taxes in either state-don't really care to be either, but the light bulb clicked on overall tax burden.  I do know TX sales tax is absurd though.  Add that on to their high property tax.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Maybe not CO level mountains but we do have mountains.  You didn't go far enough west.  I think there are somewhere around 9 or 10 8k+ peaks and a bunch of 7s.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dislikes

No mountains

Holy shit! Do you need supplemental oxygen? Are the Sherpas nice? Those are called hills

Link Posted: 7/26/2023 6:10:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Why are so many people from Texas moving to Washington state.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 6:13:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Imagine thinking shooting deer is hunting.

They are stupid animals.

Predator hunting is way mo better.
View Quote

Dude predator hunting is easy as well.  I can blast a coyote off my back porch with a shotgun,  I can go 45 minutes north of me and get a cougar pretty easy.  Wolves are not as easy but plenty of people are shooting them.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 6:14:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Makes sense.

Not savvy on property taxes in either state-don't really care to be either, but the light bulb clicked on overall tax burden.  I do know TX sales tax is absurd though.  Add that on to their high property tax.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes sense.

We have no income tax, the state sales tax is 6% and the highest sales tax in FL is 7.5% (counties and towns can add up to 1.5%). Plus the homestead exemption is very favorable at $50k. My understanding is that TX has a sales tax that can go as high as 8.25% and their homestead exemption is $40k. But the difference is the millage rate cap. FL is capped at 3% and I believe TX is capped at 10%. So, on average, the homeowner in TX gets swamped with a higher property tax bill due to the government raising the millage rates.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 6:17:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Tx is ugly AF.
View Quote

Someone hasn't been to the piney woods. Or Big Bend. Or Caddo. Or the hill country. Or Monahans. Or Palo Duro.

Freeway visitors lol
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 6:25:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Bless your heart.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 6:35:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Drawbacks

Lack of public hunting land
Lack of mountains
Lack of public shooting ranges
View Quote

Public you say? Are you some kind of gosh darn socialist?  If you ain’t got you a ranch, the get you one!
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 6:39:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If TX is so great then why do I see so many TX plates here?

Especially on TX Wheelchair trailers in the mountains?

big think
View Quote

You won’t see as many gramps can now buy cheaper pot in New Mexico!
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Someone hasn't been to the piney woods. Or Big Bend. Or Caddo. Or the hill country. Or Monahans. Or Palo Duro.

Freeway visitors lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tx is ugly AF.

Freeway visitors lol

Naw, I've lived there.

I've also lived just on the eastern border and spent tons of time in there.

There are some nice parts of TX and I've posted some in this thread, but overall it is boring and ugly.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 6:44:36 PM EDT
[#48]
I haven't thought it was the greatest at anything in a long time. It's still my state, and if pressed, it's my ethnic identity.

If you don't like it here, the borders to NM, OK, AR and LA aren't guarded. You can leave in most directions unhindered.

These fucking summers, though. They do make me think about moving somewhere with seasons and some mountains. TN, maybe?
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 6:45:33 PM EDT
[#49]
I don’t mind TX, but your gun laws suck.

Sorry, it’s the truth.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 6:56:42 PM EDT
[#50]
How could a state full of cowards be the best state?
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top