BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 9:50:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
That Spartan / Molon Labe 1911 is indeed sweet

I couldnt quite make out the MSRP . . . . do you remember what it was ?

I think I see one of these in my future.
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 9:54:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Does Boyd have any more "Cimarron" pics he could share with us?

This^

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I didn't make it this year.  Any game changers?

Yep, I missed you, Bill.

That Mossbery lever gun is a "game changer" fo sho.

So Mossberg had Red Jacket build it for them?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Any word on what Ruger's SR-30 is?
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 10:30:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#8]
That Sig 1911 Spartan is one sweet gun.  Damn it!  may have to wait on that Tavor and get the Spartan first.  I know I know....get both
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 10:33:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 10:37:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 10:40:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Does that one revolver have a rail on it?  Please no...
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Does that one revolver have a rail on it?  Please no...

The: "I also was impressed with this Model 325 in .45 ACP. What a smooth pistol!"

Sure looks like it.  For an extra fee, I'm sure that an M4 buttstock can be fitted to it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 11:03:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Did you see nikki
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 11:28:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did you hold the mossberg tactical lever gun?  how is it ergonomically.  I know its a visual abomination, but if it is functional, at least it has some merit.

I will honestly admit that I did not shoulder the rifle, as I was afraid someone would take my picture with it.

I suppose it is "functional", but it is not beautiful.

Did Mossberg say whether or not it would be available in handgun calibers or that they would make a take-down model?
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 11:29:47 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't understand why S&W still ships that stupid safety lock. People keep saying they're not the same company they used to be; well the quickest way they could show that would be to drop that un-feature, and offer a factory removal for all the ones out there for a small fee.

edit: I felt like I was driving a little off-topic so I came back to say something about the pics, but then I saw those Mossbergs

Too bad they didn't really let you play with those Dillons. I'm sure you could find an appropriate box of truth.
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you see any  new and interesting rifles, aside from the Mossberg 30/30 that is?

We saw hundreds of new and interesting rifles.

I wish I could have taken a picture of all of them, but I had to narrow it down to a reasonable number.

Lots of very nice bolt guns.  Lots of "sniper" type rifles.

Can you tell me more about the new Model 29? Is this a true re-pro of the older models?

It is a very close model of the old Model 29.  It has that stupid safety lock screw right above the cylinder latch.  But if you can get past that, the rest of the pistol is beautiful.

I wish they would dump that silly safety lock.

I was afraid of that.

The lock has never bothered me on my 642 with more than 1,000 round through it, but a .44 mag is going to take a lot more abuse. I'd hate to tell someone to go ahead and make my day and then have my pistol lock.

Link Posted: 1/20/2012 11:34:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for posting those pictures.

Those Savage rimfires are on the short list of 'something nice for my F-I-L' when his birthday rolls around again.

Link Posted: 1/20/2012 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'd hate to tell someone to go ahead and make my day and then have my pistol lock.

"I know what you're thinking. "Did the vibrations of the shooting inadvertantly cause my gun lock to engage?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of forget that could happen. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk? "
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 11:48:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I played with a Caracal for a minute at a LGS last week, neat little gun.  $500ish, points like a glock (a bit high for me) but is ergonomic otherwise.  Reminds me of what would happen if a Glock, Steyr, and P7 all mated.

Funny that you mention that.  The designer of that Caracal was a former Glock employee who went on to design the Steyr M and S series pistols.

Edit:  Wilhelm Bubits is the person I'm referring to.

Yes indeed.  

Like the Steyr M Series, the Caracal's bore axis is extremely low.  Nothing is as low except possibly H&K P7 series (the S&W M&P comes close).   Recoil is generally STRAIGHT back into the hand with very little muzzle rise.  Advantage here is obvious if you are shooting quickly.

Contrasted with the Steyr M Series, the Caracal suppposedly uses FEWER parts.
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I played with a Caracal for a minute at a LGS last week, neat little gun.  $500ish, points like a glock (a bit high for me) but is ergonomic otherwise.  Reminds me of what would happen if a Glock, Steyr, and P7 all mated.

Funny that you mention that.  The designer of that Caracal was a former Glock employee who went on to design the Steyr M and S series pistols.

Yes indeed.  

Like the Steyr M Series, the Caracal's bore axis is extremely low.  Nothing is as low except possibly H&K P7 series (the S&W M&P comes close).   Recoil is generally STRAIGHT back into the hand with very little muzzle rise.  Advantage here is obvious if you are shooting quickly.

It's the handgun I'm really excited for. It might be a Glock killer for me, assuming mag prices are ridiculous when import picks up.
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 11:54:07 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd hate to tell someone to go ahead and make my day and then have my pistol lock.

"I know what you're thinking. "Did the vibrations of the shooting inadvertantly cause my gun lock to engage?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of forget that could happen. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk? "

S&W, this is what we call, "A Hint".

Link Posted: 1/20/2012 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes indeed.  

It's the handgun I'm really excited for. It might be a Glock killer for me, assuming mag prices are ridiculous when import picks up.

Honestly, I was a lot more excited before I saw pics of how wide the slide/frame are.  Gun seems extra wide (putting it nicely as I can).

OP: when you get this gun, could you compare it to your Glock 34 or a 17, and maybe a Smith and Wesson M&P?  Those 3 seem to be quite similar in many respects. Thnx.

Link Posted: 1/20/2012 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes indeed.  

Honestly, I was a lot more excited before I saw pics of how wide the slide/frame are.  Gun seems extra wide (putting it nicely as I can).

OP: when you get this gun, could you compare it to your Glock 34 or a 17, and maybe a Smith and Wesson M&P?  Those 3 seem to be quite similar in many respects. Thnx.

I held one from a gunshop in Columbus, and it didn't feel any wider than my 17. But then again, I didn't compare it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 12:01:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/20/2012 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#30]
I eagerly await your Caracal review.

I have handled a few, but have never shot one.
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 12:36:37 PM EDT
[#31]
For those interested, the Medal of Honor recipient Sam Davis is a legitimate hero and Warrior. He single handedly manned a damaged howitzer piece, firing directly at close enemies while under fire, after using a machine gun to try to hold them back.

Then he went directly into the fire to cross a river and rescue injured friendlies.

Oh, and he was injured. Multiple times.

And did I mention it was a fight between 42 Americans and an estimated 1,500 Viet Cong?

Wiki link

"For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life and beyond the call of duty. Sgt. Davis (then Pfc.) distinguished himself during the early morning hours while serving as a cannoneer with Battery C, at a remote fire support base. At approximately 0200 hours, the fire support base was under heavy enemy mortar attack. Simultaneously, an estimated reinforced Viet Cong battalion launched a fierce ground assault upon the fire support base. The attacking enemy drove to within 25 meters of the friendly positions. Only a river separated the Viet Cong from the fire support base. Detecting a nearby enemy position, Sgt. Davis seized a machine gun and provided covering fire for his guncrew, as they attempted to bring direct artillery fire on the enemy. Despite his efforts, an enemy recoilless rifle round scored a direct hit upon the artillery piece. The resultant blast hurled the guncrew from their weapon and blew Sgt. Davis into a foxhole. He struggled to his feet and returned to the howitzer, which was burning furiously. Ignoring repeated warnings to seek cover, Sgt. Davis rammed a shell into the gun. Disregarding a withering hail of enemy fire directed against his position, he aimed and fired the howitzer which rolled backward, knocking Sgt. Davis violently to the ground. Undaunted, he returned to the weapon to fire again when an enemy mortar round exploded within 20 meters of his position, injuring him painfully. Nevertheless, Sgt. Davis loaded the artillery piece, aimed and fired. Again he was knocked down by the recoil. In complete disregard for his safety, Sgt. Davis loaded and fired 3 more shells into the enemy. Disregarding his extensive injuries and his inability to swim, Sgt. Davis picked up an air mattress and struck out across the deep river to rescue 3 wounded comrades on the far side. Upon reaching the 3 wounded men, he stood upright and fired into the dense vegetation to prevent the Viet Cong from advancing. While the most seriously wounded soldier was helped across the river, Sgt. Davis protected the 2 remaining casualties until he could pull them across the river to the fire support base. Though suffering from painful wounds, he refused medical attention, joining another howitzer crew which fired at the large Viet Cong force until it broke contact and fled. Sgt. Davis' extraordinary heroism, at the risk of his life, are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself and the U.S. Army."

Thank you for the pictures O_P. I look forward to your future posts!
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 1:33:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 1:46:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 3:27:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Awesome pics.. Thanks for posting those.

Everything looks awesome but.. lever action tactical?  I'm gonna have to warm up to that..
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 3:40:12 PM EDT
[#36]
So there was nothing there that you didn't like or thought was a POS?
I want the bad and ugly to go along with the good, especially since many have commented that this was one of the worst shots in a long time.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 4:17:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Great Pics O_P

Always enjoy your posts.
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Someone needs to forward that to a sales rep at S&W.

Link Posted: 1/20/2012 5:09:38 PM EDT
[#40]
thanks for sharing painless!
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 6:12:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/21/2012 1:47:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That Spartan / Molon Labe 1911 is indeed sweet

I couldnt quite make out the MSRP . . . . do you remember what it was ?

About $1,350.

Worth every penny, I'm sure.

hhmmmm . . . . so probably around $1100 in real world pricing after it hits the shelves .

Dang , that aint bad
Link Posted: 1/21/2012 1:49:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those Savage rimfires are on the short list of 'something nice for my F-I-L' when his birthday rolls around again.

You will go way up on his list.

The 93-17 varmint is a sweet rifle , I haven't taken my 10-22 into the woods since I bought mine years ago .
Link Posted: 1/21/2012 5:32:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/21/2012 5:49:41 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great pictures and thank you.  I can see a Savage .22 in my future.

Ted and I were very impressed with those rifles.

Their triggers are just amazing.  I bet with a high quality scope they would just put the bullets through the same hole.

I have a MkII BTVS.  It is the right-handed twin of one of the ones in your picture.  It really is a laser beam with my Leupold scope on it.  The Accu-Trigger really is excellent.  

I imagine that I will eventually end up with one of those rifles.

The price is pretty good for what you get with the MKII line, IMHO.

Link Posted: 1/21/2012 6:01:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Thanks

Centerfire is selling the Caracal from the UAE

Link Posted: 1/21/2012 6:33:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will go way up on his list.

The 93-17 varmint is a sweet rifle , I haven't taken my 10-22 into the woods since I bought mine years ago .

We noticed they had rifles in .22, .22 Magnum, and .17.  I was not sure if the .17 could keep up with the .22 accuracy-wise.

Any opinion?

I'll put it up against ANY 22lr under $500 . . . . . ANY

I've got the pre-Accutrigger model with a few trigger mods that were on Savage Shooter's site. ( Shimmed trigger pack and a pen spring swapped into it )

Shooting the Remington premiere 17gr V-Max ammo , it puts 10 shots in a group you can cover with a quarter at 100yds when I'm in my groove .

It's deadly on crows and squirrels with head shots or center mass up to about 100 -150 yds

I shot it in club level rimfire varmint class at 75yds for about two years before I left Michigan .  The meets were 3 Sundays a month , and even with missing about a third of the matches due to being on the road working all the time , I still scored enough points to place third one year , and second the next . . . . that was out of about 20-30 competitors . The 93 was scary accurate . I had three others stop running hot-rodded 10-22's and buy 93's inside of a year It was more accurate than one of the club's old-timer's 22lr Anshustz with sorted match Elys

I have an old Savage 65M 22mag that also likes the Remington Premier in 33gr V-Max , and it , surprisingly , is almost as accurate as the 17 . . . . but it's got enough sack to drop a yote or a fox with good shots .

I took a mangy ol yote in Michigan with the 17 , but it was a headshot at about 50 yds . Prairie poodles need head shots at anything over 30-40 yds , and the 17 runs out of steam at about 125 or so .

For the life of me , I cant find any of my 17 targets , but here's some with the 65M at 50 and 100 yds with CCI and Rem Premiere , the Premiere ammo rocks hard .
5 shot groups , the orange dots are 1.250 diam

If I run across the 17 targets , I'll post em up . They're around here somewhere and are more impressive even .

Link Posted: 1/21/2012 6:49:07 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

The comments about the lever action tactical were made in jest.

I see little need for such a system.

I've seen pictures of some models with threading for a flash hider-I imagine handloaded  subsonic .30-30 and a suppressor would be very quiet.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top