BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 15
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Apple Car Play/Android Auto is the near permanent answer to this problem.
View Quote

The absolute best option. All others are garbage.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:53:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I think the 4 runner will be narrower.

For people that drive tight trails, park in tight garages and parking spaces and value the easy low speed maneuvering of a narrow vehicle, we thank Toyota for not abandoning the normal width, body on frame SUV.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's shaping up to be a bit of a hierarchy, with the 4Runner likely being the most budget option and the GX550 giving you the most if you can pay for it, with some overlap in between.

Not that I'm sitting here wishing for less things, but I'd hope there would be some sort of difference between the Land Cruiser and the 4Runner other than the rear window goes down.
I think the 4 runner will be narrower.

For people that drive tight trails, park in tight garages and parking spaces and value the easy low speed maneuvering of a narrow vehicle, we thank Toyota for not abandoning the normal width, body on frame SUV.

It will be similar to the Tacoma.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A few people have mentioned seats being uncomfortable or not having enough leg room. Check out Desert Does It  seat jackers. I've never felt the need for them, but some friends have installed them and they love it.
View Quote

The 2 things I hated about my taco company (truck) was the turning radius and the seats. Any of these issues
get fixed? I even liked the 4 banger with the automatic. The mileage was the same as the full sized truck it replaced.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I've seen those but it's hard to swallow a hundred bucks for two little metal spacers.
The seats need to be longer in the seat portion IMO.  It's like there isn't enough support under my thighs.
View Quote

They are fantastic in my first gen.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:12:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

See, now that part is a lie because other people brought up spun bearings just one page prior...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well you're the first one here I've read say that and multiple people reference the opposite, so, you're the outlier here. And comparing Toyota to Ford? Yikes...

See, now that part is a lie because other people brought up spun bearings just one page prior...

You'll note the part where I said "I've read". Calm down, not everybody reads every single post of every single topic, you are however the first "I've read" post about internal 4.0 problems on ARF, I have read plenty of the opposite however so you're the outlier. Did those spun bearing happen on properly maintained motors or high mileage never changed the oil types?
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:13:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Tacoma and 4Runner aren't 3/4 ton vehicles. They aren't made for extreme duty towing. Midsize trucks are made to tow about 7,500 lbs at max and probably less. The engine power isn't the major limiting factor, stability and load capacity are.

In the US, midsize trucks with the higher power engine are going to be either a turbo 4, or a naturally aspirated V6. Ford adds the 2.7, v6 ecoboost on special models.

Modern turbo 4's have power down low and keep making it up high. Naturally aspirated V6's aren't making power down low like the turbo 4's. Turbo 4's are replacing naturally aspirated v6's. Turbo 4's make usable power in a nice size package.

1/2 ton pickups are full of turbo V6's and those pickups are rated for more towing than midsize.

Ford does put natural and ecoboost V6 in 3/4 and 1 ton dually vans. People who want power go ecoboost.

Cummins is producing a turbo gasoline version of the 6.7 inline 6 diesel. It is slated for vocational, bus, and other commercial use. This is in response to emissions and associated expenses and maintenance.

For serious work, the turbo diesel reigns supreme. Natural aspirated gasoline is used for lower purchase costs in that arena. Emissions is starting to have an impact on turbo diesel cost and maintenance.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that why we're 13 years into the EcoBoost era and nobody is making a 3/4+ ton truck with a turbocharged gasoline engine?
Tacoma and 4Runner aren't 3/4 ton vehicles. They aren't made for extreme duty towing. Midsize trucks are made to tow about 7,500 lbs at max and probably less. The engine power isn't the major limiting factor, stability and load capacity are.

In the US, midsize trucks with the higher power engine are going to be either a turbo 4, or a naturally aspirated V6. Ford adds the 2.7, v6 ecoboost on special models.

Modern turbo 4's have power down low and keep making it up high. Naturally aspirated V6's aren't making power down low like the turbo 4's. Turbo 4's are replacing naturally aspirated v6's. Turbo 4's make usable power in a nice size package.

1/2 ton pickups are full of turbo V6's and those pickups are rated for more towing than midsize.

Ford does put natural and ecoboost V6 in 3/4 and 1 ton dually vans. People who want power go ecoboost.

Cummins is producing a turbo gasoline version of the 6.7 inline 6 diesel. It is slated for vocational, bus, and other commercial use. This is in response to emissions and associated expenses and maintenance.

For serious work, the turbo diesel reigns supreme. Natural aspirated gasoline is used for lower purchase costs in that arena. Emissions is starting to have an impact on turbo diesel cost and maintenance.

I get all of that, I've seen hundreds of dyno charts, and I've driven a few flavors of the modern small displacement turbos.

I covered a lot of it specific to the 4Runner here:

Quoted:

I think this is mostly a question of application and packaging.

Turbos make a lot of sense in engines that will be in an unloaded state most of the time. You get great gas mileage, and you have a whole bunch of power on tap when you want it to go fast or to pull the odd load.  

In engines that will be under load often, they make a lot less sense. Small displacement engines burn MORE fuel than larger, naturally aspirated engines when under load, and they run a whole lot hotter. Frequent towing has caused increased issues with EcoBoost F-150s.

I'm not sure exactly where that puts a vehicle like the 4Runner. Obviously, it's fine in stock form and normal driving, but what happens when you lift it, put huge tires on it, and hang 700+ pounds of accessories on it?

As for the packaging issue, the new Tundra is probably a good example of what not to do. Those have/had turbo issues, and fixing them is a cab-off affair. That's a hard pass for me. I would like to think the I4 vehicles like the Tacoma and 4R have more friendly packaging, but I don't know the answer to that question.

The #1 recipe for building a long lasting engine that can take a lot of abuse is low output relative to displacement. Engines that are making close to 150hp per liter are cool to play with, but that's not a good option for hard use.

At the other end of the spectrum, there's a reason why Ford's Godzilla V8 makes 430 hp (59hp per liter) under the hood of F-250s and F-350s and it's detuned to 335hp (46hp per liter) for F-550s up to F-750s.

The 1GR-FE 4.0 in the 5th gen 4Runner makes 69hp per liter, and unsurprisingly, it has an excellent reputation and a cult following of guys that put midsize trucks and SUVs to hard use in austere environments all over the world.

It's also worth mentioning that, despite the 5th gen 4Runner being on the market for 15 years and more expensive than ever, sales of this vehicle have generally increased as it's aged. Sales didn't break 100k units until 2016, they peaked at 145k units in 2021 (it took about 3.5 years to hit 145k units total at launch), and they're on track to sell about 130k units this year. There must be some trend, some thing, that's been pushing consumers to choose this model in particular late in its life. I wonder what that might be?

While turbos aren't new, and there's reason to hope Toyota did their homework, there's also reason to be skeptical of a 2.4L I4T making 116hp per liter under the hood of a 4x4 that probably weighs close to 5,000 pounds empty.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:34:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I get all of that, I've seen hundreds of dyno charts, and I've driven a few flavors of the modern small displacement turbos.

The #1 recipe for building a long lasting engine that can take a lot of abuse is low output relative to displacement. Engines that are making close to 150hp per liter are cool to play with, but that's not a good option for hard use.

At the other end of the spectrum, there's a reason why Ford's Godzilla V8 makes 430 hp (59hp per liter) under the hood of F-250s and F-350s and it's detuned to 335hp (46hp per liter) for F-550s up to F-750s.

The 1GR-FE 4.0 in the 5th gen 4Runner makes 69hp per liter, and unsurprisingly, it has an excellent reputation and a cult following of guys that put midsize trucks and SUVs to hard use in austere environments all over the world.

It's also worth mentioning that, despite the 5th gen 4Runner being on the market for 15 years and more expensive than ever, sales of this vehicle have generally increased as it's aged. Sales didn't break 100k units until 2016, they peaked at 145k units in 2021 (it took about 3.5 years to hit 145k units total at launch), and they're on track to sell about 130k units this year. There must be some trend, some thing, that's been pushing consumers to choose this model in particular late in its life. I wonder what that might be?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GKfaFUIWAAUMG3m?format=png&name=small

While turbos aren't new, and there's reason to hope Toyota did their homework, there's also reason to be skeptical of a 2.4L I4T making 116hp per liter under the hood of a 4x4 that probably weighs close to 5,000 pounds empty.
View Quote

It’s in a class of one (BOF smaller SUV). The only similar option is a Wrangler, which has extreme compromises.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:36:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I wish we got the 2.8 turbo the new 70's are getting.

All reviews show better towing than the 4.5L V8 in their market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2.4 turbo won’t be able to tow shit besides a bass boat.

I wish we got the 2.8 turbo the new 70's are getting.

All reviews show better towing than the 4.5L V8 in their market.

Yep...that...

and then there's the Land Cruiser FJ mini suv...?
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You'll note the part where I said "I've read". Calm down, not everybody reads every single post of every single topic, you are however the first "I've read" post about internal 4.0 problems on ARF, I have read plenty of the opposite however so you're the outlier. Did those spun bearing happen on properly maintained motors or high mileage never changed the oil types?
View Quote

And again, for the third time, you've completely missed the point.

For a fourth time, although I'm guessing this is futile:

As an owner, I would not expect (or plan) to have issues with a 4.0. It has a pretty long track record and for most people out there it will last longer than they want to own the vehicle.
As a Toyota mechanic, I would expect to see something that has gone wrong. Or what you like to say "an outlier". It's part of the job and that weird thing called statistics.

Someone going online and saying "I've never worked on these" is doing this thing called exaggerating to make a point, because if he wants to make a Youtube video to get clicks on how reliable an engine is he isn't going to go off into a tangent on the one time that a customer hydrolocked the engine. Which to clarify, isn't the only failure they may or may not see but it's another tactic called "giving an example". I don't even disagree with him saying it like that, because it gets his point across well and the overall point is something (that I've now clarified three times) that I don't disagree with.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:43:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Still driving my 2007 4Runner V8 Sport AWD. Only 90K miles,
loaded to the max with tons of options that I paid 32K for in Dec
2006. Absolutely the finest vehicle I’ve ever driven, the 4.7 engine is smooth, quiet with tons of torque, sliding rear window and moon roof, center lock diff, 4lo, comfortable adjustable electronic seats, a lot of storage and solid to drive. Have other vehicles to drive but when the SHTF or when I need to move a lot of weight, the V8 4Runner does its thing very well.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:48:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Still driving my 2007 4Runner V8 Sport AWD. Only 90K miles,
loaded to the max with tons of options that I paid 32K for in Dec
2006. Absolutely the finest vehicle I’ve ever driven, the 4.7 engine is smooth, quiet with tons of torque, sliding rear window and moon roof, center lock diff, 4lo, comfortable adjustable electronic seats, a lot of storage and solid to drive. Have other vehicles to drive but when the SHTF or when I need to move a lot of weight, the V8 4Runner does its thing very well.
View Quote

If you ever want free entertainment throw it up for sale and sell tickets to the boxing match that will spawn on your front yard.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#12]
@Ayada
You seem to have gotten your feelings hurt or maybe your ego's involved. Wasn't the intention but either way no one here wants to waste their time reading our sidebar and it's a distraction to the thread...
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#13]
One of our FF's just got a new Tacoma and when he showed it to me the giant screen was an unwelcome surprise, I had no idea it looked that bad, ouch. Not a fan that they've now done it to the 6th Gen too but I hope the rest of the reveal shows other improvements to the 5th Gen along with some wish list stuff like;
1. Cup holder inserts that don't lift out of the center console and stay stuck to your mug
2. Wireless Apple car play
3. Steering wheel volume/track control buttons that aren't backwards
4. Rear cargo area that is truly flat when seats fold down
5. Remote start that doesn't shut down when you open the door
6. Ability to open the rear hatch from the inside
7. Auto window rollup with remote
8. Quick release 2nd row rear seat bottom option for more room
9. Factory molex access port on the roof for switched power (lights)
10. TPMS for rear spare (maybe that's an option now on diff trim levels)
11. Memory seat button on all trims
12. All LED lights, interior and exterior
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GKfaFUIWAAUMG3m?format=png&name=small

View Quote

The Ranger would be a potential counterpoint, given that it's been a good few years and the 2.3 with similar output has yet to have the massively predicted doom and gloom failures from its launch. Chevy feels comfortable enough with their 2.7 that they'll throw 35s on the Colorado as an option from the factory. That's going to kill the gas mileage of one of the already most inefficient midsized trucks, but at the very least from an engineering side of things they don't seem too concerned with the extra load.

It's not a guarantee either way. This is a new application for that engine and we've only had a few weeks at most for actual owners to get one in a Tacoma. At the very least, those that seem the most concerned about this are either in a 5th gen or still have the chance to get a 5th gen and that's a vehicle that will last them a decade+ to figure things out.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Good points. How will a 4r with bumpers front and back, a lift , roof rack with who knows what and bg tires/wheels handle it? Not sure. Obviously they can be very capable in stock-ish form but more people modify them than actually use them for their intended purpose. I'll be curious to see if the turbo 4 will handle it as well as the 4.0.
View Quote

The fun is going to start when these mod-happy fools start cranking the boost up on those turbo 4s.

Not a lot of people dropping $7K on a supercharger, but $400 for a tune? I can see it, a few years from now..."never buy a third owner, 6th gen 4Runner from anyone under 35 years old."

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
One of our FF's just got a new Tacoma and when he showed it to me the giant screen was an unwelcome surprise, I had no idea it looked that bad, ouch. Not a fan that they've now done it to the 6th Gen too but I hope the rest of the reveal shows other improvements to the 5th Gen along with some wish list stuff like;
1. Cup holder inserts that don't lift out of the center console and stay stuck to your mug
View Quote

Some guesses:

2. Seems to be standard on new Toyotas
3. were they changed on your friend's Tacoma?
4. probably not if you look at the Land Cruiser and that's with the hybrid battery rising the rear floor too
5. I'd be shocked if Toyota ever changes that.
10. The current Limited trim has a TPMS in the spare and it even shows on the dash, one of those annoying things that should have been on the other trims for how little it would cost to add.
11. My guess is that this still going to be a 'premium' option as that's how the industry still views it.
12. I see a hint of a bulb in the reverse and rear turn signals
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:36:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The fun is going to start when these mod-happy fools start cranking the boost up on those turbo 4s.

Not a lot of people dropping $7K on a supercharger, but $400 for a tune? I can see it, a few years from now..."never buy a third owner, 6th gen 4Runner from anyone under 35 years old."

View Quote

No need to regear if you just add more boost to compensate.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
@Ayada
You seem to have gotten your feelings hurt or maybe your ego's involved. Wasn't the intention but either way no one here wants to waste their time reading our sidebar and it's a distraction to the thread...
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Some guesses:

4. probably not if you look at the Land Cruiser and that's with the hybrid battery rising the rear floor too
10. The current Limited trim has a TPMS in the spare and it even shows on the dash, one of those annoying things that should have been on the other trims for how little it would cost to add.
11. My guess is that this still going to be a 'premium' option as that's how the industry still views it.
View Quote

Our Tacoma had the volume left/right and track up/down, drove me crazy. New Tundra has both as left to right buttons, on the bottom of the steering wheel. Volume on the left hand, track on the right. They're so inaccessible I just reach for the radio instead.

This will ruffle some feathers. The Tundra has too many buttons, specifically the buttons under the dash to the left of the wheel. You can't see them when driving, not at all. Auto headlamps, steering wheel heater, bed lights, etc. They need to be added to the center stack or integrated into the display. There are a handful of things they missed on this truck, that's a major one.

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not a fan of the huge tablet display.
View Quote

You will be if you drive it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:58:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/this-gif-793.gif

Glad this is out, MANY will be relieved.

Especially after the GX 550 debuted with the horribly disappointing rear glass on opening struts.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/IMG_7560_jpeg-3177927.JPG

@mblades !!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rear window goes down, it's the only thing that matters.

Especially after the GX 550 debuted with the horribly disappointing rear glass on opening struts.

@mblades !!

That is completely and utterly idiotic. It's further proof to me that the people who are often in charge have no fucking idea what they are doing. Just make the whole fucking rear a hatch if you want to abandon the traditional rear lowering window and door.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I really don’t get the objection to a larger screen.

Much easier to look at.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 1:09:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Our Tacoma had the volume left/right and track up/down, drove me crazy. New Tundra has both as left to right buttons, on the bottom of the steering wheel. Volume on the left hand, track on the right. They're so inaccessible I just reach for the radio instead.

This will ruffle some feathers. The Tundra has too many buttons, specifically the buttons under the dash to the left of the wheel. You can't see them when driving, not at all. Auto headlamps, steering wheel heater, bed lights, etc. They need to be added to the center stack or integrated into the display. There are a handful of things they missed on this truck, that's a major one.

View Quote

Yeah, I'm ruffled a bit. I like that manufacturers are putting in more customizations into their menus, often giving people choices that they'd use to need external programming for. That being said the more often that I'd want to access that feature the more that I'd want it as a physical button.

Taking a look at the Tundra design, I'd certainly prefer the buttons to be a bit higher if they really wanted them on the left side of the steering wheel.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That is completely and utterly idiotic. It's further proof to me that the people who are often in charge have no fucking idea what they are doing. Just make the whole fucking rear a hatch if you want to abandon the traditional rear lowering window and door.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rear window goes down, it's the only thing that matters.

@mblades !!

They should be flogged. Then flogged some more.

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 1:40:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Much easier to look at.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much easier to look at.

Agreed, it’s a non-issue, even at night.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

LC200 tailgate/hatch Master race.  

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Agreed, it’s a non-issue, even at night.
View Quote

I think the impression is that it sticks up off the dash. It doesn’t, unless you’re 3 feet tall.

There are buttons behind the wheel too, buttons you need occasionally. Like when trucks are flashing their high beams at you for 200 miles and you have absolutely no idea why. Apparently, the bed light switch turns everything on, like a little baseball stadium back there

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 2:17:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Much easier to look at.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much easier to look at.

People also seem to be forgetting that it's an option. Just don't opt for the upgraded audio package and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 2:59:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Some guesses:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some guesses:

3. Not sure, forgot to look.
5. Me too but it's dumb beyond measure.
11. The PRO should qualify.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 3:03:07 PM EDT
[#30]
I've got 4 J-VIN vehicles and am curious to see if the 6th-Gen remains one, maybe the reveal on the 9th will cover that, maybe not...
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 3:05:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Tundra Pro is built on a Limited, it doesn’t even get the nicer center console or full black interior of the higher trims. Wasn’t even in the running for us, super disappointing.

Some of the trims and packages don’t make sense these days, I think the Tacoma handled it better with TRD Offroad, TRD Sport, SR5, etc as trim levels instead of option packages. Not sure how it is in the new Tacoma, hopefully not like the Tundras.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The Tundra Pro is built on a Limited, it doesn’t even get the nicer center console or full black interior of the higher trims. Wasn’t even in the running for us, super disappointing.

Some of the trims and packages don’t make sense these days, I think the Tacoma handled it better with TRD Offroad, TRD Sport, SR5, etc as trim levels instead of option packages. Not sure how it is in the new Tacoma, hopefully not like the Tundras.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The new Tacoma has one of the strangest package strategies I have ever seen

$10k jump to grandpa spec.

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/1wD9dae.jpeg
View Quote

You gotta pay to play with the old guys…wait…
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 4:33:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've got 4 J-VIN vehicles and am curious to see if the 6th-Gen remains one, maybe the reveal on the 9th will cover that, maybe not...
View Quote

H8 unions and falsification, so. . . Find out soon
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/1000008914_png-3180031.JPG

@PhuzzyGnu

Did I see somewhere that you took the running boards off of the 200?  IMO, the running boards on the 200 are useless, too tucked in to get a foot hold and too close to the body for actual use.  My wife is short and could use a better running board but I cant find anyone that makes a running board for the 200

As far as this discussion, I think the new 4Runner will be a nice vehicle.  From what I have concluded by Youtube videos, it will still have a "J" VIN and made at the Tahara plant, the finest automotive plant in the world.  

I for one am not crazy about the 2.4L turbo engine, especially when I read t will get maybe 2 more MPGs than the NA 4.0L in the vehicle now.  I am a reliability person and will give up gas mileage, power and torque for reliability and you cant get better than the 4.0L Toyota engine.  I really believe the 4.0L could have been turned to get 300/300 and put a 6 speed behind it, that would have been fantastic.

Looks like the rear power window is staying as part of the design and the interior will be very much new "Tacoish"

But I can see the 2.4L being a better fit in the 4Runner than in the new Land Cruiser....that is just plain stupidity and insanity.  I just hope we can get a 4Runner without all of the hybrid and battery bullshit.  If I have to buy a 2.4L turbo, at least de-complicate it for me and leave the Duracells off.

This hybrid, EV, battery is bullshit and a scam....I am retired major oil and there is nothing better than dinosaur juice

And yes the 200 tailgate system is the master race
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 4:54:35 PM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/1000008914_png-3180031.JPG

200 are cool. I like the 300 better in everyway beyond Stateside availbility.

Attachment Attached File

But the all time MacDaddy is Troopie 40/60. Euro spec 3rd, in South America

Attachment Attached File

Close second is a full drop tailgate, here on a capped crew cab. RSA spec in Namibia.

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

It makes a tiny bit more sense when you consider a lot of the 'features' the Limited has over the TRD Offroad are hidden in the TRD Offroad premium package which is an extra $10k.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 5:08:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It makes a tiny bit more sense when you consider a lot of the 'features' the Limited has over the TRD Offroad are hidden in the TRD Offroad premium package which is an extra $10k.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s fair and actually rather cool that they broke out a lot of stuff out as “a la carte” options with 26 different packages.

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That’s fair and actually rather cool that they broke out a lot of stuff out as “a la carte” options with 26 different packages.

View Quote

It looks cool on the internet but you can't actually buy it that way. We built a truck that wasn't even possible in the real world. Add in that you can't "order" a Toyota and you get a flashy website that causes more confusion than it helps.

Tundras are SR5, Limited, Platinum, 1794, Capstone. You can add different TRD packages to some of them to get a "TRD Offroad", but then it's still an SR5 or a Limited also. The Tacoma version is less confusing but the nearly unlimited options the website will allow make it a bit murky. It isn't as bad in real life, but who knows what the sales guy will tell you to get in the door.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 5:20:00 PM EDT
[#40]
I bought a 2024 4 Runner Off Road Premium in January, couldnt be happier. and dont have to worry abouth the 6th Gen as there is everything available forever for the 5th Gen
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It looks cool on the internet but you can't actually buy it that way. We built a truck that wasn't even possible in the real world. Add in that you can't "order" a Toyota and you get a flashy website that causes more confusion than it helps.

Tundras are SR5, Limited, Platinum, 1794, Capstone. You can add different TRD packages to some of them to get a "TRD Offroad", but then it's still an SR5 or a Limited also. The Tacoma version is less confusing but the nearly unlimited options the website will allow make it a bit murky. It isn't as bad in real life, but who knows what the sales guy will tell you to get in the door.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah…I almost added that it would be a production nightmare and probably wouldn’t be possible.

I’ll hold my tongue on obvious signs of current Toyota production issues and their bizarro distribution network.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

@PhuzzyGnu

Did I see somewhere that you took the running boards off of the 200?  IMO, the running boards on the 200 are useless, too tucked in to get a foot hold and too close to the body for actual use.  My wife is short and could use a better running board but I cant find anyone that makes a running board for the 200

View Quote

Your opinion is correct.  My ladyfriend said, "These steps are useless" the first time she used them.

You might have to look towards aftermarket rock slider/steps.

Attachment Attached File

Or... maybe LX570 steps would fit.  They work better as steps.  People on IH8MUD remove them all of the time.

Attachment Attached File

Removing the steps on a 200 looks like a free lift.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What can you tell me about the 5VZ-FE in my taco
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Back just before and around the turn of the century (sounds weird) when the LC debuted with the 2UZ-FE, the wailing and gnashing of teeth was similar. What is this monstrosity! Why has Toyota abandoned us, the faithful. 32V!!! Muh 1FZ!!! As always foreign markets are the promised land and if Toyota would only bring those here we would be delivered.

When VVTi arrived, along with ETC there was another round. Compared in some cases to BMWs VANOS failures, despite the dissimilarities and ignoring some other applications and not quite a decade reasonable service on use on the 1UZ.  It that wasn't off-road the detractors pouted! All will be broken!

Couple year later the 3UR-FE arrived in '07 - with Double VVti . . .and broken cams. It was like that those chicks screaming at the cat at dinner in the meme. See! SEE!!! D-VVTi had beeen around a decade. Mostly w/o issue (I'd say entirely but I don't know the whole story on the '98-on Altezza but never heard of issues, but hell could have missed and solenoids do go bad, mostly well along) The cams were fixed but for years there were screams of what a shit show the 3 UR was. Broken cams. Problems. Yea problems everywhere!! Seriously by bros sisters uncle had an engine replaced. Seriously tho - we did get cam tower leaks.

In the end, kinda worked out fine, Even a few million mile examples.

I'm a little over the top here for dramatic effect - but just a little. I recall guys, old dudes with a lot more experience than my green ass had, telling me how fucked up it all was going to be, and in some cases telling me it was right then. When I asked, not for anecdotes, but for the data. . .

We'll see on the turbos and hybrids and triple VVTi (J/K) - as they say, past performance is no guarantee. But I'm not buying trouble before it arrives. Then, I was told I was an idiot often for grabbing debut LC100 at the time. Very expensive mistake. You'll be sorry.

18 years and 360k, it worked out ok. Current owner is past his 6th belt.  I hope he joins Farah. Seems his goal. Might become famous like Matt. That's not the only or least of my UZ and URs, but the one I miss the most. I prolly won't buy another Taco or Tundra, but there will be a LC 250 in the driveway very soon, replacing or joining a FJ TTE. Likely a new GX at some point, tho I'm set right now. Still, I hope I'm right

They don't die. Even when unloved, abused and neglected in the 3rd world.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not a fan of the huge tablet display.

Yup. Wait till you put onX on it. Wished I could find a good stereo solution with a screen for my 3rd gen. I'm about to the point of just stopping fighting it and installing a small tablet.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

Yeah. Most pimp for sure. Without question.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:29:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Not anymore. The new LC250 has light duty diffs (8.2in) compared to the LC300 and incoming GX550 (9.5in).
If the new 4Runner comes out with a Trailhunter edition, with the same 9.5in diff as the Taco, it will be heavier duty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just a reminder that the land cruiser is the master race in the US. (i said the US for the Hilux guys i see you).

Not anymore. The new LC250 has light duty diffs (8.2in) compared to the LC300 and incoming GX550 (9.5in).
If the new 4Runner comes out with a Trailhunter edition, with the same 9.5in diff as the Taco, it will be heavier duty.

This is something that is overlooked in the reordering Toyota is doing in the States. Way its shaping up

GX550 Overtrail/ STD - J252- V35A-FTS - AGA0F Direct Shift 10 Spd - I havnt seen a tag on the Tcase but Tsukasaki noted its "new" Torsen (but no confirmation its a VF4xx continuation or more likely some evo of the higher rates JF3A from the old Seqouia) - Rear is '9.5' BD24 (*CN w Locker) /std BD21 but scuttle is front reverse SD22B/SD20D (better visual needed)  - along with a host of offroad goodies like CRAWL control, eKDSS (from the J300), Downhill Assist, AVS, Rear Locker, etc 9k tow but no Air Suspension - WB 112.2

Tundra and Seqouia XK70/XK80 - 4WD share much V35-FTS / V35 i-FORCE MAX (sole choice Sequoia) - same AGA0F - the Torsen JF3A is gone Seqouia, share same Part-time 4WD so some evo of the JF1A  (NFI ) - Axle is the '9.7' /globally derived '10.7' - MTS, CRAWL, DAC, Rear Locker opt Trim - WB Tundra 127.4/140.6 Seq 122

Land Cruiser J250 - T24 i-FORCE MAX - AL80F Direct Shift 8 spd - Locking, Fulltime 4WD but I need eyes on to make a claim on code , anyone know?- Axle  BD21DN with Locker(*DN), (Open and Torsen (DT) listed in global specs) - SDM (Rather than eKDSS or KDSS), CRAWL, MTS, unsure about DAC - WB 112.2

Tacoma N400 -   T24A-FTS / T24 i-FORCE MAX - AL80F Direct Shift 8 spd or RC60/61 - VF2BM?/ know fuck all about this Tcase - Part timer - Axle BD21 (*CN) - TRD Series with RC61 BD24 / BD24 i-FORCE MAX? (we'll see) - MTS, CRAWL, DAC Offroad trim - WB 131.9

For comparison J300 get SD22 front and BD24 rear, some trims *N w lockers

So what does that mean for 2025 4R? I cant lay it out but there's some clues in the patterns above. We know it'll be similarities based on comparisons from Program 920B to 930B. The key is the association between price and equipment, seeing now where it will need to slot in. That gives a pretty good indication where the 4R will end up.

But I was pretty confident TMNA LC 250 would get 3 row based on what I knew of other markets, and that was dead wrong. So often the decisions are made due to market requirements or marketing choices that aren't consistent between - so keeping it solely NA. Need to pay more attention to Christ, Sheldon, Tripp and Moses now that Materazzo is gone.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

FWIW spent some time with a N400 TRD Off Road Auto today. Not a BD24 rear. Looked identical to the J250 axle. He was ticked after what Sheldon said in the Larry Chen interview. If you parse it, clear he makes a conditional statement with 'manual transmission' as the modifier.  I'd expect some direct similarities.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:31:42 PM EDT
[#47]
I love my 2017. Tempted to buy a 2024  before they change.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:34:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Back just before and around the turn of the century (sounds weird) when the LC debuted with the 2UZ-FE, the wailing and gnashing of teeth was similar. What is this monstrosity! Why has Toyota abandoned us, the faithful. 32V!!! Muh 1FZ!!! As always foreign markets are the promised land and if Toyota would only bring those here we would be delivered.

When VVTi arrived, along with ETC there was another round. Compared in some cases to BMWs VANOS failures, despite the dissimilarities and ignoring some other applications and not quite a decade reasonable service on use on the 1UZ.  It that wasn't off-road the detractors pouted! All will be broken!

Couple year later the 3UR-FE arrived in '07 - with Double VVti . . .and broken cams. It was like that those chicks screaming at the cat at dinner in the meme. See! SEE!!! D-VVTi had beeen around a decade. Mostly w/o issue (I'd say entirely but I don't know the whole story on the '98-on Altezza but never heard of issues, but hell could have missed and solenoids do go bad, mostly well along) The cams were fixed but for years there were screams of what a shit show the 3 UR was. Broken cams. Problems. Yea problems everywhere!! Seriously by bros sisters uncle had an engine replaced. Seriously tho - we did get cam tower leaks.

I'm a little over the top here for dramatic effect - but just a little. I recall guys, old dudes with a lot more experience than my green ass had, telling me how fucked up it all was going to be, and in some cases telling me it was right then. When I asked, not for anecdotes, but for the data. . .

We'll see on the turbos and hybrids and triple VVTi (J/K) - as they say, past performance is no guarantee. But I'm not buying trouble before it arrives. Then, I was told I was an idiot often for grabbing debut LC100 at the time. Very expensive mistake. You'll be sorry.

18 years and 360k, it worked out ok. Current owner is past his 6th belt.  I hope he joins Farah. Seems his goal. Might become famous like Matt. That's not the only or least of my UZ and URs, but the one I miss the most. I prolly won't buy another Taco or Tundra, but there will be a LC 250 in the driveway very soon, replacing or joining a FJ TTE. Likely a new GX at some point, tho I'm set right now. Still, I hope I'm right

Good I got a leak on a valve cover gasket, dropping her off at buddy's shop this week.

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:44:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Good I got a leak on a valve cover gasket, dropping her off at buddy's shop this week.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If its been treated well enough not to sludge, it'll be fine 'til 200-250k. Then maybe a head gasket. Peeps forget the Timing belt but its not interference. VC leaks arent uncommon

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:59:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If its been treated well enough not to sludge, it'll be fine 'til 200-250k. Then maybe a head gasket. Peeps forget the Timing belt but its not interference. VC leaks arent uncommon

View Quote

TB/WP were done as part of the fun baseline-ing.

Fun fact, you can get 1st gen taco OEM parts faster from UAE, than you can CONUS.
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top