BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 15
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's not that simple..... thats the problem....

Is it readily convertible into a machinegun conversion device? If it is, and depending on other "potentially legal" uses, it's an MG

Everyone will now start referring to shoestrings, coat hangers, and having both a shotgun and a hacksaw at the same time.... but that is different.... as all of those items have a multitude of legal uses.

If you have a sten tube, with the cutouts engraved in it, what is its intended legal use?

If you have a piece of spring steel, of the proper material/thickness/etc of a lightning link with the cutouts engraved in it, what is its intended legal use?

Whats the intended legal use of an "80%" Glock FA backplate? Good luck convincing your jury it's an ear ring......

This is nothing new..... this sort of thing pops up..... makes the ATF's radar screen, then goes away

Whats your opinion on the "miniature roses" sold in convenience stores?
https://thumb.spokesman.com/0sGVMgiDqenVUIv-_d-r9pAi8lw=/2500x2500/smart/media.spokesman.com/photos/2008/01/18/18crack1_01-18-2008_VFCH1N8.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
…snip….

If I bought a complete lighting link, that still required to be bent correctly to function, is that a part covered? Or a DIAS that isn't assembled and required the holes drilled, but marked where to drill?

….snip….

I’ve got a super easy definition that everyone can follow and understand: Can you install the part in a gun and have a functional machine gun?  If yes, it’s illegal…if no, it’s not. If you modify the part and the answer to that question changes…then you’ve modified the part and made an illegal item.

There doesn’t need to be any gray area in this….quit justifying ATF bullshit rules and interpretations that only serve to keep themselves employed.

Is it readily convertible into a machinegun conversion device? If it is, and depending on other "potentially legal" uses, it's an MG

Everyone will now start referring to shoestrings, coat hangers, and having both a shotgun and a hacksaw at the same time.... but that is different.... as all of those items have a multitude of legal uses.

If you have a sten tube, with the cutouts engraved in it, what is its intended legal use?

If you have a piece of spring steel, of the proper material/thickness/etc of a lightning link with the cutouts engraved in it, what is its intended legal use?

Whats the intended legal use of an "80%" Glock FA backplate? Good luck convincing your jury it's an ear ring......

This is nothing new..... this sort of thing pops up..... makes the ATF's radar screen, then goes away

https://thumb.spokesman.com/0sGVMgiDqenVUIv-_d-r9pAi8lw=/2500x2500/smart/media.spokesman.com/photos/2008/01/18/18crack1_01-18-2008_VFCH1N8.jpg

I can use a DIAS as a bottle opener, wall hanger, key fob, etc multiple legal uses.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 3:44:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I can use a DIAS as a bottle opener, wall hanger, key fob, etc multiple legal uses.
View Quote

Which just shows the absurdity of the whole thing.  That piece of metal is a machine gun.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Time for the SC to smack down Chevron Deference hard... very hard... so hard that an agency even considering reading it would choose to tell congress they need to clarify the law instead. How often do petty tyrants voluntarily give up power though... ? Which means without penalties they'll just carry on with business as usual.
View Quote

Agencies cannot use Chevron to establish or alter criminal law... so none of the aft's actions fly.  

And their two proposed rules on receivers and braces are shit-canned, thanks to this limitation of chevron.  They would instantly turn legal behavior and possession into a crime, which chevron cannot do,
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Is it illegal without a receiver?
View Quote

Don't know.  Not a lawyer.  Logic says no.  The way the ATF interprets law, I would say assume THEY consider it illegal.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 4:34:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's legal 100%, not a single part in that picture is a NFA regulated item, as current m16 and m4s don't require serialization of Posted parts.
View Quote

thats my point.  However that may or may not be how the ATF enforces the law
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 4:40:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When the NFA was written, the various Courts upheld it because it is just a tax. You can pay the tax and exercise your 2A Rights.

Then, the GCA was added. But, it was ruled that you could still buy NFA items. Then the misnamed FOPA we get the now limited pool because of the questionably passed Hughes Amendment.

All of which the various Courts upheld, because the ATF was a TAXING agency and not law enforcement.

Then, in a flash of utterly idiotic "strategery", Bush moved the ATF under the DoJ as part of his Homeland Security power grab. In this move, the legality of ALL of the BATFE's actions take on the force of LAW and not just tracking taxes.

This violates the 2A so fucking hard that anyone trying to keep up appearances should be outright laughed out of the Country. This includes any previous upholding of "gun control regulations" that were predicated on taxation via stare decisis.

This is just the latest bit of unConstitutional idiocy. And if you think it stops here, you obviously aren't paying attention. Or... You are an outright shill/glowie. There IS no in-between on this.
View Quote

Didn't the courts find "Taxing a right" as unconstitutional?  IIRC that had to do with Poll Taxes... which election polling is not nearly as specific as the 2nd Amendment...
Just sayin.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 4:44:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If they started to prep the material for manufacturering, either marking the parts to be cut, or loading a CNC machine, would you not consider it WIP?
View Quote

If you go back far enough up the supply chain, would it technically be work in process when my material was laid out at the foundry?  When it was being melted?  When it was being recycled from it’s previous life as another object?  When they mined the alloy out of the ground?

Technically this is a first amendment issue because they drew artwork on a medium.

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 5:02:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not me you'll need to convince ......

Most people, when presented with a picture of a duck, will identify it as a duck

You could argue all day long that an HK conversion sear is nothing but a letter opener, but you'll be doing it as the "defendant"
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 5:06:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I read through the court documents.

They're charging one of these guys because he was structuring bank withdrawals at $9k, six times in a row on six nearly-consecutive days like a fucking moron, to try and avoid the mandatory reporting paperwork to the government.

Remember Al Capone--They only ended up getting him because of tax evasion charges. Do whatever pro-liberty stuff you want, but for fuck's sake don't think you're going to outsmart the IRS.
View Quote

This is what I don't understand. I know he stated to make a decent amount of cash from his youtube channel and besides poking the atf I didn't take him as a complete idiot to be that stupid.  I would assume he knows he can get audited anytime so they could find out about anything that was in an account.  I know you don't play around with the irs especially if you own a profitable business.

I don't agree with the arrest and hope he can beat the case but he was asking for it by constantly poking and pushing. I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to but the process of the trial alone will be a huge burden even with the support he'll get.  

I can go to the ghetto with a Rolex while counting a wad of cash which is completely legal but I might not like what happens.

Wish him luck and glad he isn't a normal guy who would have zero chance here.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Most people, when presented with a picture of a duck, will identify it as a duck
View Quote
Agreed. But then why is it that some folks read "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" and then immediately tie themselves in knots trying to deny the plain as a duck meaning.

Answer: Because they don't like what it means. They are actively AGAINST the plain meaning for those 4 little words. Everyone arguing the minutia of the law or arbitrary unConstitutional statues put out by the criminals in the BATFE are all missing that plain as a fucking duck meaning.

Enough is enough.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 5:20:42 PM EDT
[#11]
“Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience.” ~ John Locke (1690)
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 5:41:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't understand the pulling 9k out of the bank thing?

I can see depositing 9k once but when it's in the bank already it's not like they don't have record. Does withdrawing your own money get reported?
View Quote

Sometimes it's good to have a cash stash so after the gov'ment seizes everything else you can hire a lawyer and post bail.  Under $10k is not supposed to be reported but undoubtedly a warrant was issued for the banks to provide all of his records.

On a subject mentioned by others, if I just happened to scan page 3 of Chapter 10 from "The Complete AR-15/M16 Sourcebook" by Duncan Long could I be charged with intent?  If I printed copies and sold them with a piece of sheet metal, a file and a drill bit am I guilty of selling machine guns?  Maybe it depends on how far they are willing to stretch the meaning of "readily converted."   There is also the copyright infringement they would throw in.  Is a photo of an M16 as your computer background violating some law in their mind?

Bottom line, this is no more than persecution under the color of law.  The courts should order the government to pay Matt several million dollars, taken directly from the budget of whatever section of the BATFE goes after folks like Hoover (there's some irony for you) and Rare Breed.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 5:52:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I just realized I have an unregistered suppressor... well, I mean I have a mag light, a set of taps, a box of freeze plugs, and saw a video about converting  a mag light into a suppressor. Is it time to turn myself in for constructive possession or am I in the clear as long as I leave the batteries in?
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 5:55:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You could argue all day long that an HK conversion sear is nothing but a letter opener, but you'll be doing it as the "defendant"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay...

Show people a picture of a DIAS, and ask them to identify it.

How many do you think will respond with "machine gun"?
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Agencies cannot use Chevron to establish or alter criminal law... so none of the aft's actions fly.  

And their two proposed rules on receivers and braces are shit-canned, thanks to this limitation of chevron.  They would instantly turn legal behavior and possession into a crime, which chevron cannot do,
View Quote

See other thread about the rules likely being published Monday in the federal register.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 7:15:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

No reason those should be illegal…if someone chooses to do something illegal with the item that is on them.  Selling an item that MAY be used illegally should never be a problem. Once that door is opened every gun or knife sold is a potential murder….your in pre-crime world now.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 7:28:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Boot the BATFE!
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 7:46:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Sometimes it's good to have a cash stash so after the gov'ment seizes everything else you can hire a lawyer and post bail.  Under $10k is not supposed to be reported but undoubtedly a warrant was issued for the banks to provide all of his records.

On a subject mentioned by others, if I just happened to scan page 3 of Chapter 10 from "The Complete AR-15/M16 Sourcebook" by Duncan Long could I be charged with intent?  If I printed copies and sold them with a piece of sheet metal, a file and a drill bit am I guilty of selling machine guns?  Maybe it depends on how far they are willing to stretch the meaning of "readily converted."   There is also the copyright infringement they would throw in.  Is a photo of an M16 as your computer background violating some law in their mind?

Bottom line, this is no more than persecution under the color of law.  The courts should order the government to pay Matt several million dollars, taken directly from the budget of whatever section of the BATFE goes after folks like Hoover (there's some irony for you) and Rare Breed.
View Quote

OK I understand he was trying to get cash out without alerting them so he's not assed out when they arrested him. Makes sense seeing the other guy had literally everything seized and couldn't do anything until they got a go fund me.

If you have everything frozen or seized after arrest you pretty much have no chance even if they have a shotty case.

We can say screw the atf or government but they can pretty easily destroy your life unscathed even if you beat the charges. He has a audience and hS a chance but when they knock on a nobody's door like most of us it's bad times.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 9:12:03 PM EDT
[#19]
and it doesn't fall into the category of frivolous law suit even though it is total bullshit
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 10:39:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Why do we play "F"Troop's (aka BATFE) Game? Our stance should be and always should have been ALL FEDERAL GUN LAWS ARE UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

Has anyone taken the time to read U.S. vs Miller 1939 ? Any reasonable interpretation would lead you to the conclusion that Machine Guns are protected by the 2nd

BATFE were revenuers until the false flag attack on 9/11 now they have dual citizenship with Treasury and Justice. However like all federal alphabet soup agencies they only have jurisdiction in the 10 mile square (DC), forts and magazines (Article I Section 8 Clause 17 of the Constitution) We need to elect State, and County officials that will refuse to grant these alphabet soup criminal agencies permission to operate within the State and County borders. States need to re-assert sovereignty over their borders.

I know easier said then done
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 10:52:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Looks like a bottle opener to me.  
View Quote

Actually, one or two of the keycard versions sold on their website were oversized and had a cutout for it to be used as a bottle opener.  Some cards were solid and some had the interior holes cut out and were shown with a pen through the larger hole holding them upright.  Either way they were sold as novelty items/conversation pieces.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 10:54:37 PM EDT
[#22]
ATF can lick my hole
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:17:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Now that ammo is so cheap...everyone needs a machine gun...HaHaHa!
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:27:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I expect to see more Waco and Ruby Ridge like events happening if they continue down this path in the coming months.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:41:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I expect to see more Waco and Ruby Ridge like events happening if they continue down this path in the coming months.
View Quote

That's exactly what they want.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:45:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Didn't the courts find "Taxing a right" as unconstitutional?  IIRC that had to do with Poll Taxes... which election polling is not nearly as specific as the 2nd Amendment...
Just sayin.
View Quote

Licensing Liberty
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:46:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Meanwhile, they will make arrests and prosecute anyway.  And judges will rule in the government's favor because they won't let a mean old gun owner go free.  And it never gets appealed all the way to SCOTUS because the victim of their prosecution can't afford the legal bills.  

And if they did, SCOTUS will refuse to hear it because they know they would have to rule in favor of the constitution, which plainly goes against all this bullshit.  So they won't hear it because they don't want the government to lose.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:49:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The ATF is out of control.

Hide your coat hangers too, y'all.
View Quote
Just explain that the coat hangers are for possible future abortions if Planned Parenthood loses funding due to mean ol' republicans, and boom, you're off the hook.

Unlike the fetus.

FATF  This shit is pure unadulterated tyranny.  I've watched that guys videos many times, he's weird but okay.
Seems the Doomsday clock is seconds away from midnight, and I don't mean the nuclear war fearmongering BS.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 2:12:13 AM EDT
[#29]
So apparently he's out of jail now:

But I did notice something interesting.  His wife put up a GoFundMe page when this happened with a goal of $50K.  After a couple days, it hit that mark.  So she upped it to $100K.  Well, it's at $99K right now and guess what the "goal" is now?  It's $500K now.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 2:14:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No reason those should be illegal…if someone chooses to do something illegal with the item that is on them.  Selling an item that MAY be used illegally should never be a problem. Once that door is opened every gun or knife sold is a potential murder….your in pre-crime world now.
View Quote

Well that poster is a statist so...
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 2:21:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno. This happened before they inevitably became woke and PC, like the whole Federal .gov:

Not sure they would fare better today.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 3:06:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I dunno. This happened before they inevitably became woke and PC, like the whole Federal .gov:
https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article1722372.ece/ALTERNATES/s1227b/WACO%20county%20siege.png

Not sure they would fare better today.
View Quote

A few dead fascists is exactly what leadership wants.  It justifies even harsher measures, more laws, etc.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 3:18:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jign3-iWyCw

But I did notice something interesting.  His wife put up a GoFundMe page when this happened with a goal of $50K.  After a couple days, it hit that mark.  So she upped it to $100K.  Well, it's at $99K right now and guess what the "goal" is now?  It's $500K now.  
View Quote

Legal, traveling to, staying in Florida and the loss of income does not come cheap on this. He only hope that the case moves fast and the charges get dismissed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 4:04:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Legal, traveling to, staying in Florida and the loss of income does not come cheap on this. He only hope that the case moves fast and the charges get dismissed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So apparently he's out of jail now

Understood, but that's a quick progression to a goal of asking people to donate a half-million dollars.  At what point does it turn from a "we estimate we'll need X amount to defend" to just keeping an open hand out?  You don't think that asking for $500,000 is a bit...  much?

Link Posted: 1/30/2022 5:18:14 AM EDT
[#35]

I guess I'm in trouble now for posting this .  Just think of the fire power this thing has . I'm not sure if this is a NFA weapon or not.  It's relatively quiet.

Form 4 ...One impulse mono wave phased modulated laser blaster

Or we just call it informational  GUN PORN

Link Posted: 1/30/2022 6:03:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Understood, but that's a quick progression to a goal of asking people to donate a half-million dollars.  At what point does it turn from a "we estimate we'll need X amount to defend" to just keeping an open hand out?  You don't think that asking for $500,000 is a bit...  much?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Matt did a video when the Auto Key dude got arrested. He did a general break down of the cost just for the legal defense before getting into the courtroom. The general focus at that time was just trying to get a good lawyer to argue for the dude in jail and nothing else was setup for that gofund me event. But his general summation was that. The auto key card dude was going to be left to rot in jail for two years. So in that two years, his family and him would be broken by the government without going ro trial.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 6:41:58 AM EDT
[#37]
FATF
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 8:41:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So I suppose a hacksaw is illegal if it strolls past a rifle or shotgun?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what exactly does this law say about constructive possession?

We can pull this from the ATF rules... but thats NOT a law.

Held, a firearm, as defined by the National Firearms Act (NFA), 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3), is made when unassembled parts are placed in close proximity in such a way that they: (a)Serve no useful purpose other than to make a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length (e.g., a receiver, an attachable shoulder stock, and barrel of less than 16 inches in length); or (b) Convert a complete weapon into such an NFA firearm, including – (1) A pistol and attachable shoulder stock; and (2) A rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length, and an attachable barrel of less than 16 inches in length. Such weapons must be registered and are subject to all requirements of the NFA.

So I suppose a hacksaw is illegal if it strolls past a rifle or shotgun?

Maybe that is why so few hardware stores still sell shotguns, and/or rifles, they had to choose between the guns or the hacksaws.....
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 8:44:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Matt did a video when the Auto Key dude got arrested. He did a general break down of the cost just for the legal defense before getting into the courtroom. The general focus at that time was just trying to get a good lawyer to argue for the dude in jail and nothing else was setup for that gofund me event. But his general summation was that. The auto key card dude was going to be left to rot in jail for two years. So in that two years, his family and him would be broken by the government without going ro trial.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So force their hand...

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial,
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 9:22:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He’s fighting the unlimited budget of the federal government.  They have the ability to wear a person down to the point that they have no choice but to capitulate.  I’m glad he has a large war chest to fight back.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

OK I understand he was trying to get cash out without alerting them so he's not assed out when they arrested him. Makes sense seeing the other guy had literally everything seized and couldn't do anything until they got a go fund me.

If you have everything frozen or seized after arrest you pretty much have no chance even if they have a shotty case.

We can say screw the atf or government but they can pretty easily destroy your life unscathed even if you beat the charges. He has a audience and hS a chance but when they knock on a nobody's door like most of us it's bad times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much my take-away from the Kyle case. Where would he be now if not for the national attention and the donations? My answer: in prison for life.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 9:40:18 AM EDT
[#42]
You can tell almost no one read the PDF as I haven't seen any mention of Louis Vuitton purse as payment
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Unless you are posting the law word for word, which you arent... you are in fact formulating an interpretation.

The saws simply states "parts", which is not defined.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Unless you are posting the law word for word, which you arent... you are in fact formulating an interpretation.

The saws simply states "parts", which is not defined.

AKCs are not a "part" any more than a coat hanger is. Both need to be fashioned into something that can be used in a rifle.

There is a guy on Northeastshooters who made an AK receiver flat out of a shovel and built it into a rifle. Same thing here, it's not a rifle until it is. It isn't a DIAS until it is.

"Interpretation" is ATF newspeak for very far reaching inclusion of items that clearly do not meet the statutory definitions of what ATF claims they are.

Quoted:

Don't think so highly of yourself, a 16 year old drop out could cut this thing out and make it functional.

And in doing so, would be manufacturing the part ATF claims the cards to be.

Thanks for your comments in this thread though, they have made it abundantly clear why you are here.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 10:18:10 AM EDT
[#44]
In for $87.  

Hit this!  
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 10:28:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

maybe, but given how much it might cost an individual, vs the ATF which has a nearly unlimited prosecutorial budget...
Remember, those jackasses can drag it out for months or years, all the while his income is curtailed, his life is on hold, and the proverbial "Sword of Damocles" is hanging over his head, waiting for him to run out of money to pay the lawyer on retainer, or people to forget about him...

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if any left over went into a legal defense fund for others wrongfully persecuted by the AFT in similar circumstances.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 10:30:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

So force their hand...
View Quote

its the Gummament...unless the judge goes along with it [oh and hes gummament too, so good luck], you ain't forcing crap.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

its the Gummament...unless the judge goes along with it [oh and hes gummament too, so good luck], you ain't forcing crap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So force their hand...

2 years isn't a speedy trial... he should already know his defense, make the ATF work, if they decided to charge they should be ready to go to trial not go on a fishing trip.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Interesting point on Fed overreach

We’ve all heard the muh Chevron crap

But didn’t the FAFT get transferred to be under DOJ during Bush admin

Key to this is. Now FAFT has ZERO ability to create rules for anything that falls under NFA as that is a Title 26 taxation statute

Just caught that while reading about Chevron and the USSC tests for it

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/chevron_deference

My comments in bold below

Chevron Deference
Primary tabs
One of the most important principles in administrative law, The “Chevron Deference” is a term coined after a landmark case, Chevron U.S.A., Inc. v. Natural Resources Defense Council, Inc., 468 U.S. 837 (1984), referring to the doctrine of judicial deference given to administrative actions.

In Chevron, the Supreme Court set forth a legal test as to when the court should defer to the agency’s answer or interpretation, holding that such judicial deference is appropriate where the agency’s answer was not unreasonable, so long as the Congress had not spoken directly to the precise issue at question.  (Congress has spoken to the exact issue of what is and is not a machine gun when they created the definition in title 26)

The scope of the Chevron deference doctrine is that when a legislative delegation to an administrative agency on a particular issue or question is not explicit but rather implicit, a court may not substitute its own interpretation of the statute for a reasonable interpretation made by the administrative agency.  
(The agency congress authorized to administer NFA was the IRS, NOT the AFT. Which would be the same a a local sheriff just deciding to make up laws the enforce them cause he wanted to, can’t be done not without legislative authority to create a law)

Rather, as Justice Stevens wrote in Chevron, when the statute is silent or ambiguous with respect to the specific issue, the question for the court is whether the agency’s action was based on a permissible construction of the statute.(the actions have not been made by the IRS, which is the agenda congress authorized to deal with NFA)

The Chevron deference first requires that the administrative interpretation in question was issued by the agency charged with administering that statute being construed.  

Accordingly, interpretations by agencies not in charge of that statute in question are not owed any judicial deference.  Also, the implicit delegation of authority to an administrative agency to interpret a statute does not extend to the agency’s interpretation of its own jurisdiction under that statute.( interpretation by AFT is not allowed on two fronts. One IRS is the agency of authority. Two AFT interpretations do in fact wind up being interpretation of AFT jurisdiction)

Generally, to be accorded Chevron deference, the agency’s interpretation of an ambiguous statute must be permissible, which the court has defined to mean “rational” or “reasonable.” In determining the reasonableness of a particular construction of a statute by the agency, the age of that administrative interpretation as well as the congressional action or inaction in response to that interpretation at issue can be a useful guide, if the Congress was aware of the interpretation when it acted or refrained from action, and when the agency’s interpretation is not inconsistent with the clear statutory language.

In subsequent cases, the Supreme Court has narrowed the scope of Chevron deference, holding that only the agency interpretations reached through formal proceedings with the force of law, such as adjudications, or notice-and-comment rulemaking, qualify for Chevron deference, while those contained in opinion letters, policy statements, agency manuals, or other formats that do not carry the force of law are not warranted a Chevron deference.  In such cases, the Court may give a slightly less deferential treatment to the agency’s interpretation, giving a persuasive value under the Court’s “Skidmore deference” analysis. (the italic underlined in the last paragraph is a paramount thing in the Rare Breed Trigger and Bump Stock cases. None of those actions by AFT carry any weight of law as stated above)

@NoloContendere this may be a helpful thing for you guys that kick the feds in the nuts in courts
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 12:55:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

If he plans on taking it all the way to trial, 500k may not be that far out of the ballpark. Defending felony level cases in Federal court is expensive, especially when DOJ can throw as many attorneys, paralegals, and 1811s at a case as they need to.

Link Posted: 1/30/2022 1:06:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
and it doesn't fall into the category of frivolous law suit even though it is total bullshit
View Quote
Yeah if you have to go through all that I'd say one should be able to file a lawsuit and people get fired if they don't have a legitimate case. Should not be able to ruin your life that easily without the possibility for penalties.

Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:

If he plans on taking it all the way to trial, 500k may not be that far out of the ballpark. Defending felony level cases in Federal court is expensive, especially when DOJ can throw as many attorneys, paralegals, and 1811s at a case as they need to.

View Quote

I feel bad for him and he's lucky he has support unlike most people in similar situations but I wouldn't put it past him to capitalize on this entire thing. Probably better than the alternative of letting him hang in the long run.
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top