User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 5:15:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They're OK if they're the real select-fire version.

If they're semi-auto they're a gigantic 9mm range toy.
View Quote

This POV always seemed extreme to me.

HK has been producing semi auto MP5s for different agencies for years, and I've read Guys like Ken Hackathron say they always taught to shoot them on semi and not auto.

Id much rather have a 5.56 SBR, but that's really a different argument.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 5:16:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
the mp5 is for people who have a really, really hard time leaving the 80s behind
View Quote

Might as well add the Uzi to that list too.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#3]

I dont have a pic of the MKII.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Still kind of want a TP9

It seems 9mm firearms get me more excited than about anything else
View Quote

@chase45 yes, yes you do. B&T's finishing touches over the original Steyr TMP/SPP make the TP9/TP9N an amazingly fun gun once SBR'd - the bolt-on foregrip and folding stock make an MP5K-sized package that's quite a bit lighter-feeling.  The TMP/SPP/TP9 is really the spiritual successor to the Uzi, but fits the same niche as the MP5K.  Sadly there are many fewer options for suppressors, triggers, stocks, etc for the platform but it's surprisingly complete as shipped IMO.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 8:40:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Just bought an MPX K. Nice shooter with a very good trigger and soft impulse. I just wish Sig had gone side charger, I could literally see the smoke oozing out to the charging handle slot long after a shot. Haven't shot an MP5 suppressed in a while so I don't remember how they compare.

Probably, the answer is to get all the guns!
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:02:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:06:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:17:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I've said it before. The first FA weapon I ever shot was an MP5. It was a dream.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:18:45 PM EDT
[#9]

I wish my choate didn't wobble, because its hard to get my 80s grove on when the stock is wiggling.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:22:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:26:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:36:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It is cool in the way that Members Only jackets and Sony Walkmans are cool.
View Quote

Says the guy with no Mp5 and nothing comparable.

H
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:39:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I wish my choate didn't wobble, because its hard to get my 80s grove on when the stock is wiggling.  
View Quote

I was worried about the Choate wobble, but mine was an absolute motherfucker to get on there I don't ever want to even try to take it off
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:01:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:15:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks like I finally get to joint the club. Managed to order an SP5K PDW tonight.

Now my SP5 will have some company

Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:23:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I enjoyed playing with the Mp5K. Didn't care for the buttstock much, too short and makes the gun too bulky. Great conceal carry SMG without the stock. Lighter than the Mini UZI. I like the Mp5 better overall though, but it's not a conceal carry option, ha
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:25:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:28:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

HK has been producing semi auto MP5s for different agencies for years, and I've read Guys like Ken Hackathron say they always taught to shoot them on semi and not auto.

View Quote

We were talking about the MP5k, yes?

You're talking about all MP5s, yes?

The MP5k in semi-auto is a gigantic 9mm range toy.  The ONLY point to it is as an easier to conceal PDW.   Take away the select fire and you may as well just carry a 9mm pistol.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 12:24:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unless something has changed in the MP5 design since my day (doubt it) all HK MP5's were machineguns because of the push pin design. This gave them the ability to change out the lower to semi, or to a select lower such as the SEF, or a pictogram 3 and 4 position lower. Example the FBI had semi auto MP5's but they were still machineguns.

Most any MP5 shooter with some range time can be taught to squeeze off single rounds while on full auto. In most of the modern or open class subgun matches I competed in or was an RO for were won by guys who could squeeze off single rounds while on full auto. Not possible with the MP5K-PDW as the ROF was just to high.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

We were talking about the MP5k, yes?

You're talking about all MP5s, yes?

The MP5k in semi-auto is a gigantic 9mm range toy.  The ONLY point to it is as an easier to conceal PDW.   Take away the select fire and you may as well just carry a 9mm pistol.
View Quote

Yep.  Its why pcc shooters get smoked at every uspsa match by pistol shooters and are always on the bottom of the results.

Pistols are just easier to shoot fast and accurate.  Semi auto 9mm range toys have zero benefits if not happy switched.  

You are so right.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 9:56:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 10:02:49 AM EDT
[#22]

why do people do stupid stuff to guns like that.  Here, let me absolutely ruin any resale value on your gun for you by engraving some inane bs on the gun.  The forehead tattoo of the gun world
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 10:05:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

why do people do stupid stuff to guns like that.  Here, let me absolutely ruin any resale value on your gun for you by engraving some inane bs on the gun.  The forehead tattoo of the gun world
View Quote

Why would you sell a gun?
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I briefly owned a Cetme. It ruined HK MP5's and HK91's for me. The lack of a last shot bolt hold open annoyed me. As the did the charging handle. So much so that I really have no interest in owning another HK 91 rifle or MP5 pistol. I might make an exception for a full auto.

My CZ Scorpion pistol charges like an HK MP5 on the 1st magazine. It differs in the fact that it has both a last shot bolt hold open and a bolt release. Those features allow subsequent mag changes and chamberings to be done without needing to work the charging handle. The CZ charging handle is reversible.
View Quote
I fall into this camp.
I love the aesthetics of the mp5 and how soft shooting it is.

However I hate the layout of the controls. My preferred PCC is the skorpion.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 10:12:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

@chase45 yes, yes you do. B&T's finishing touches over the original Steyr TMP/SPP make the TP9/TP9N an amazingly fun gun once SBR'd - the bolt-on foregrip and folding stock make an MP5K-sized package that's quite a bit lighter-feeling.  The TMP/SPP/TP9 is really the spiritual successor to the Uzi, but fits the same niche as the MP5K.  Sadly there are many fewer options for suppressors, triggers, stocks, etc for the platform but it's surprisingly complete as shipped IMO.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still kind of want a TP9

It seems 9mm firearms get me more excited than about anything else

The TP9 is actually way smaller than the MP5K and much lighter also. It’s also considerably smaller than the MP7. The only kit that really comes close in terms of size and weight is the B&T USW, all of which are basically pistols with the added benefit of a minimalist stock. One overlooked 9mm PDW is the Uzi Pro. It got allot of flack because of the weight, it it’s an insanely shootable SBR.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 10:17:43 AM EDT
[#26]
It and the Colt 9mm smg are my favorites……… sold my full size Zenith, but I might have to get myself a K
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 10:21:04 AM EDT
[#27]
10mm more better

I need to update the family picture.
I don't have the 10mm full size anymore, my reverse stretch and full size 9mms are SBR'd. and my full size wears the flashlight forearm that is on the 10mm in this pic.
10mm K and full size 9mm have binaries.

I currently have 100% of the parts to make a fake SD. It will be a reverse stretch K with SD handguard basically.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 10:21:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My brother liked his MP5K, small enough to fit under his jacket in Northern Ireland in the early 80's.......
View Quote

He should put out a book!

Link Posted: 3/15/2022 10:23:29 AM EDT
[#29]
The only reason people still last after the MP5 in ANY configuration is because the MP7 is unobtainable for civilians.

Had the chance to shoot it and it is the flattesr shooting, zero recoil, full auto gun I've ever had the pleasure to enjoy.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/15/2022 10:28:58 AM EDT
[#30]

If the 80s are wrong I never want to be right.

Miami Vice Crockett's Theme 30 mins
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What’s that from?
View All Quotes

@ALASKANFIRE
The Gentlemen
The Gentlemen Chase Phone Scene HD
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#32]

Is there an easy way to get the full and burst pictogram lower for the mp5k sans full auto pack? I don't have 45k to drop on FA goodness yet
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 12:45:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Is there an easy way to get the full and burst pictogram lower for the mp5k sans full auto pack? I don't have 45k to drop on FA goodness yet
View All Quotes
Quoted:

HKparts.net and others sell the trigger housings.  Populating those with binary triggers is a popular mod.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 12:57:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

HKparts.net and others sell the trigger housings.  Populating those with binary triggers is a popular mod.
View Quote

I've thought about that. I wish one day that a company will make a forced reset HK trigger.

That would be the dream.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#35]
As a kid of the 90's I always lusted after the MP5K that seemed to be the preferred weapon of just about every bad guy in movies of the era.  When I found out you could get an SP89 that was almost as good as the real thing that became my grail gun.  The Price of the SP89 was always a little beyond what I could justify so it never became a reality. So imagine my excitement when the SP5K was announced, proof that we don't suck and HK doesn't hate us.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 2:09:44 PM EDT
[#36]
I've been feeling badly about blowing what I thought was a lot of money on an APC9 Pro last week, so I'd just like to thank everyone here...for making me feel like I am frugal and responsible.  

Link Posted: 3/15/2022 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’d be curious to know why he thinks the value is ruined. Most of the people that say stuff like that aren’t big shooters anyway. Life’s too short to worry about other people. Do what you want and have as much fun as you can.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 3:08:44 PM EDT
[#38]

Always thought the mp5 was 80s cool till I finally picked one up. All I remember was the thing seemed too heavy for what it was. After that it just never had the same cool factor for me.

Since then Ive built several colt pattern 9mms and much prefer them for the ergos and flexability.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Always thought the mp5 was 80s cool till I finally picked one up. All I remember was the thing seemed too heavy for what it was. After that it just never had the same cool factor for me.

Since then Ive built several colt pattern 9mms and much prefer them for the ergos and flexability.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

MP5 and the MP5k weigh about the same as all their competitors, assuming you use a lighter stock and not the overly heavy Wire stock (MP5) or the Choate folding (MP5K).

CZ Scorpion Evo with no stock/brace and a 7.72" barrel - 5 pounds
SP5 with no stock/brace and a 8.86" barrel - 5.1 pounds
CMMG Radial Delayed Blowback AR9 with brace and 8" barrel - 5.4 pounds
Faxon AR9 10.5" barrel pistol with brace - 5.72 lbs
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 4:55:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

MP5 and the MP5k weigh about the same as all their competitors, assuming you use a lighter stock and not the overly heavy Wire stock (MP5) or the Choate folding (MP5K).

View Quote

Uzi with stock 10.2" barrel and metal collapsing stock - 7.72 pounds

Link Posted: 3/15/2022 5:33:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/bubbles_zps5bf5952f_GIF-110.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/bubbles_zps5bf5952f_GIF-110.gif

Damn, that is a heavy bitch. .28 pounds more and you can have yourself a SCAR 17 with a 16" barrel haha.

SP5K-PDW 4.2 pounds with no stock/brace. Add .76 pounds for a B&T Folding stock and you're still just under 5 pounds, with a 5.83" barrel.

Link Posted: 3/16/2022 11:07:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I have both and there is no way the swd11 is better even with a lage upper.

Also I would never want to bet my life on a SWD gun.
View Quote

The Lage MAX-31 MK2 dominated so much in the sub gun competitions that they made rules to restrict the full potential of the MAC family of LAGE MAX-31 series of subguns.

With the VBS (variable buffer system) you can alter the cyclic rate.
With Suomi KP-31 drums and coffin mags you can have 72 or 50 rds respectively.
Also, pop a pin and remove the MAX-31 upper and put on the MAX-15 upper and now you have a full auto rifle in 5.56 that takes regular AR-15 mags.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 11:28:00 PM EDT
[#43]
They are awesome with the KES stock, mine:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 11:29:53 PM EDT
[#44]
MP5 is on my list for guns to own. But it's hard to justify the cost for a PCC.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 3:46:49 AM EDT
[#45]
That appears to be the MP5K-N which had the 3-lug threaded barrel added specifically at the request of U.S. Naval Special Warfare (SEALs).
They formally adopted it in January 1983 (NSN 1005-01-145-6434).

This was before the MP5K-PDW gained the Choate stock (1991).

The MP5K debuted in 1976 and was intended to be carried concealed as a (stockless) machinepistol for personal security details.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 4:15:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Gotta take safety catch off - Die Hard With a Vengeance

Link Posted: 3/17/2022 4:16:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Unless something has changed in the MP5 design since my day (doubt it) all HK MP5's were machineguns because of the push pin design.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Unless something has changed in the MP5 design since my day (doubt it) all HK MP5's were machineguns because of the push pin design.
Yes, that has changed. ATF now allows receivers of this type to be imported with the front push pin intact, as long as a welded full-auto bolt carrier block, and a small denial shelf to block unmodified select-fire trigger groups, are also installed. See the MKE (ATI, Zenith, Century Arms importers) and POF guns as examples.

This gave them the ability to change out the lower to semi, or to a select lower such as the SEF, or a pictogram 3 and 4 position lower. Example the FBI had semi auto MP5's but they were still machineguns.
Yes that's still the case.
Some US law enforcement agencies purchased semi-auto G36 rifles as well (G36E1, G36KE1) and they're also MGs regardless of which trigger group is installed.

Most any MP5 shooter with some range time can be taught to squeeze off single rounds while on full auto. In most of the modern or open class subgun matches I competed in or was an RO for were won by guys who could squeeze off single rounds while on full auto. Not possible with the MP5K-PDW as the ROF was just to high.
It's super easy because every MP5 has a progressive trigger (sometimes called an Spz-kr trigger) which fires semi-auto in the first part of its travel, and doesn't change to full auto until being pulled further rearward. (The only thing the selector does when switched to the semi-auto position is to prevent the trigger from travelling as far to the rear.)
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 4:22:52 AM EDT
[#48]
That was totally McClane's fault. Zeus asked him about operating the MP5K, and McClane failed to explain sufficiently.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 4:27:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
At room distances its amazing how fast and accurate you can be with the little K and no stock. Using a sling or the push pull method makes it work great. Pushing forward with a sling really mitigates recoil.

Step it back to 50+ and it starts getting pretty tough. However throw on a stock and your good to go.
View Quote

While not the HK master race, I recently picked up an imported Turkish AP5-P. Red dots make a massive difference in accuracy at distance.  Brace folded, you can easily bag steel at 100 yards, completely unsupported and even doing movement drills (of course, I was doing that with my little P365XL and optic as well!).  

Nostalgia and cool accessories aside, it's still a very viable little PDW (even if only semi-auto) and a hell of a lot of fun to shoot.

ROCK6
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top