Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 2:44:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The Rock made $64.5 million in 2016.  He recently made a huge deal about donating $25,000 to the flood victims in Texas.

Let put this into perspective.  $25,000 of $64.5 million is 0.04%.  If an average person is making $60,000 per year, that is equivalent to them donating $23.  A whole $23.  Literally the size of a good eat out meal.

I get donating but why brag about it?

What a joke.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/08/29/the-rock-kevin-hart-hurricane-harvey-relief-fund-donation/
View Quote

how much has FDJT given? And I don't mean "wow thanks for being here, so many of you hurricane victims showed up to the shelter so you could listen to my speech, this is tremendous"
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 2:53:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

how much has FDJT given? And I don't mean "wow thanks for being here, so many of you hurricane victims showed up to the shelter so you could listen to my speech, this is tremendous"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Rock made $64.5 million in 2016.  He recently made a huge deal about donating $25,000 to the flood victims in Texas.

Let put this into perspective.  $25,000 of $64.5 million is 0.04%.  If an average person is making $60,000 per year, that is equivalent to them donating $23.  A whole $23.  Literally the size of a good eat out meal.

What a joke.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/08/29/the-rock-kevin-hart-hurricane-harvey-relief-fund-donation/

99.9% chance has has helped out more than your ever have or ever will help out anyone.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 2:59:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

OK. So I'm going to ask you to go quote where OP said he should give more because he makes more. Or quote where he said that the Rock should donate a higher percentage than the rest of us.

Wow. I can't hardly push through this thread for all the straw men clogging up every post.

OP doesn't like someone making a spectacle of their giving. Big deal. I don't either.

If you want to disagree with OP because you don't think The Rock was being an attention whore, have at it. But at least hate on him for what he said, not hate on him for what he didn't.
View Quote
Are you that dense?  It's in his first post.  He's implying it because Johnson made 64mil last year and only donated 25k which is .04% of that income.
If it was just about bragging that he donated, he wouldn't have brought up what he made vs what he donated in a percentage base.

That post, the way it's written, comes off as he should have gave more because he made more than other people donating.  He has since realized that and clarified his point, which I understand.  

But by all means stay on that high horse and makes excuses for not reading the thread.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 3:17:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Op is an idiot. Johnson was called out by another celebrity to donate $25k. The original celebrity donated $25k and is trying to get a bunch of celebrities to donate $25k.
The original guy, can't remember his name, is hoping it will catch on and a lot of celebrities donate $25k each.
They can donate more if they want but the original challenge is $25k.
View Quote
Glad someone mentioned this. Theyre calling it the Harvey challenge..Kevin Hart was the one who called out the rock. Good stuff. He is also helping via his own charities.

Someone else said this thread is stupid. Its idiotic for sure.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 7:54:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:06:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well since the federal taxpayer is getting stuck with the bill & he pays federal income tax on $64.5M every year - I'd say he already gave more than his "fair share..."
View Quote
Well, if you're rich enough, you can get around that.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:23:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What percentage of your income did you give?
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:24:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well since the federal taxpayer is getting stuck with the bill & he pays federal income tax on $64.5M every year - I'd say he already gave more than his "fair share..."
If you pay one thin dime more in taxes than you can get away with, then you are a fool.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:29:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
who cares, he has no ties to Texas like JJ or Sandra do.

how much has Bill Gates,, Oprah, Hillary, or Barack donated?
View Quote
Barack will donated DVDs of all of his speeches, to be played over the shelter TVs...
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#10]
"...$23. Literally the size of a good eat out meal."  
Golden Corral or Applebee's?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In this thread I learn how much people love the POS liberal The Rock and dislike math.  Definitely didn't go the way I planned.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#12]
You don't even live in Texas and you're "complaining" about a donation from one of the very "few" celebrities that did donate? Jeesh.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:51:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
99.9% chance has has helped out more than your ever have or ever will help out anyone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What a joke.

Exactly!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

At least you get it.  Donate what you can, just don't brag about it.  I cant stand people who brag about what they give.  Let alone when it literally means nothing to you.

Be humble and move on.
View Quote
Have you read your own thread? The one you started so you could tell us how much you donated.
Have you?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:02:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
In this thread I learn how much people love the POS liberal The Rock and dislike math.  Definitely didn't go the way I planned.
View Quote
I get where you were trying to go with this but you got spanked into a corner.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:07:24 PM EDT
[#17]
"WHAHHhh, Duh Rock needs to pay HIS FAIR SHARE!!!!  Duuurppp"

O.P. is a closet communist.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I bet OP thinks just because someone makes 1 million dollars a year, somehow their debt to society or use of public resources is different than someone who makes 60k.
View Quote
Instead of betting on it, why not just ask him?

Because if you actually take time to read what he wrote and think about it a moment, he criticized the Rock for making a big deal about his donation.  He didn't say he should have given more, or a higher percentage of his income or that he was obligated to give anything at all.

It's like some people in here can't even understand what they read.

Some of you are doing to the OP the exact thing you hate and harp on when the left calls you a racist for wanting a border wall. OP can be fine with or even not care about Johnson's giving and not like it that (in his eyes) Johnson is bragging about it.  

He may be wrong about whether or not Johnson is bragging versus challenging others to match.  But for so many to take that criticism and then flip into OP being part of the FSA or a statist who wants to seize Johnson's assets because he rich?  I mean, WTF.  

You do the very same thing (rush to judgment and make assumptions about someone's motives) that you are bitching about him doing to the Rock.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:34:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
you talk shit about the man drawing attention to himself(likely to help encourage others to donate)

then you brag about how much more you donated,you clearly earn big $ as I'm sure your supermodel wife does as well so you should really donate some more.
View Quote
Luke 21:1-4
"And He looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the treasury, and He saw also a certain poor widow putting in two mites. So He said, “Truly I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all; for all these out of their abundance have put in offerings for God, but she out of her poverty put in all the livelihood that she had.”

I didn't read OP's response as bragging about his donation. He was furthering the same point about drawing attention to your giving. The idea that giving from your surplus, while still helpful, really isn't much of a virtue and isn't something to draw attention to yourself over is a fair point to make.

In this case, the Rock's actions may not have been about bragging.  They may have been all about trying to encourage and challenge others to give.  I don't know which it is.  But OP wasn't bragging about what he gave.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
sanc·ti·mo·ni·ous
[sangk-tuh-moh-nee-uh s]
adjective   derogatory

making a show of being morally superior to other people.
View Quote
The unintended irony of this post...
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Holy fuck this thread is stupid.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This thread is dildos and OP should be ashamed.
View Quote
I second this!

Take your SJW, anti- 1%, capitalism hating, liberty shunning shenanigans

<---- to DU.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

About 1.4%.  So basically 37x what the Rock did.
View Quote
Yeah, you gave a higher percentage. Yay.

He still gave more and did more good than you did. Your donation didn't magically buy more than his.

Good on you for donating, but maybe you should MYOB.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

At least you get it.  Donate what you can, just don't brag about it.  I cant stand people who brag about what they give.  Let alone when it literally means nothing to you.

Be humble and move on.
View Quote
I had no idea The Rock made a donation or was bragging about it until this thread.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

And that was how much?
View Quote
$27.33
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:51:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
From each according to his ability, eh Tovarisch?
View Quote
That only matters if you're wanting to attention whore for your charitable giving. It's not a communist only concept in that context. In fact, it's a pretty common perspective.

You've never, in your life, seen someone crow over something they did and you thought to yourself "umm, that isn't that big a deal"?

As intelligent human beings, we are perfectly capable of appreciating the usefulness of a gift no matter how selfish the motive of the giver is.  But at the same time, that doesn't mean we can't also understand that they might still be a selfish prick even though they want us to praise them for it.  You can do both at the same time.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:57:09 PM EDT
[#28]
OP is looking for a reason to be outraged. Like some other people we know.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:58:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Maybe you guys are reading this the wrong way.  That's his character,  always has been over the top.  The WWE is making a big deal about this in general.  WWE superstar Booker T. is in Houston with his family and the WWE is pushing for donations.  If you ask a WWE fan, The Rock is probably doing the same thing.  He's reaching out to his fans, and showing them in character what can be done for the folks in Houston.  Be a badass and give.  

Anyway off topic I learned my lesson about the Red Cross when I was in Louisiana after Katrina.  So what charities do you guys know will actually help?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:59:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Are you that dense?  It's in his first post.  He's implying it because Johnson made 64mil last year and only donated 25k which is .04% of that income.
If it was just about bragging that he donated, he wouldn't have brought up what he made vs what he donated in a percentage base.

That post, the way it's written, comes off as he should have gave more because he made more than other people donating.  He has since realized that and clarified his point, which I understand.  

But by all means stay on that high horse and makes excuses for not reading the thread.
View Quote
Oh, so you can't quote it. But you're OK bashing him based on your assumptions.

Kinda like how he's bashing on the Rock for assuming that he was bragging instead of participating in a charity challenge?

Gotcha.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Good on him for the donation, 25k will help people out.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 1:11:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Why do you care how much someone else makes or how much someone else donates?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 1:17:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I see people saying giving to Red Cross is a waste of money.

Which orgs are gtg?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#34]
It's none of my business how much he or anyone else gives.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#35]
His money, his business.

The "joke" is criticizing people for their philanthropy.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#36]
waaaaaaaaaa

I would thank him for $25,000
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#37]
How in the blue fuck are you supposed to stay wealthy if you give all your money away?
Shit, $25,000 is a lot of cash to just hand out no matter how rich you are. Dwayne Johnson always seems like a good guy.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
You are the low-hanging fruit on your family tree, aren't you?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I had no idea The Rock made a donation or was bragging about it until this thread.
View Quote
Why would you take his message as bragging?  He's encouraging his fans to donate as well.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 2:53:41 PM EDT
[#40]
1. Just because he made over 60 million dollars doesn't mean he has it sitting in the bank easily accessible. 2. What he does with his money is his business. The guy works like crazy. When he's shooting movies he only sleeps about 4 hours a night.  3. He's a t-shirt and jeans kinda guy that drives an older model F150. (Last I heard)

Quoted:

Glad someone mentioned this. Theyre calling it the Harvey challenge..Kevin Hart was the one who called out the rock. Good stuff. He is also helping via his own charities.

Someone else said this thread is stupid. Its idiotic for sure.
View Quote
Exactly. Obviously if they are trying to encourage more celebs to donate 25K they need to spread the word/make it a trend. And if he'd drop an astronomical number GL getting a bunch of people to match or 1 up that.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What percentage of your income did you give?
View Quote
This is what I"m wondering also.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 3:23:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
If he did donate he would be criticized for too much/not enough/attention whore/non-presidential/evil money/buying votes etc.

How much did the previous president ever donate to things like this? How much from the Clintons? Republicans donate much more to charity than the Dems.

Is antifa filling sandbags? BLM?  Sarsour? CNN?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#43]
ITT, OP rags on someone who voluntarily gives 25K to charity because OP feels it's not enough.  

Little did he realize, it only makes OP look small.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 3:34:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Who cares. At least he gave something.

I donated 50 bucks to a church down there that's sheltering people. Peanuts but if everyone donated a little bit they'd have billions to play with.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What a joke.

One million dollars
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 4:21:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Who gives a fuck what percentage of his income it is?

Its still $25,000. Do you think the people that will be putting that money to use will recognize what a small percentage of his income it represents? Will his $25,000 not buy as much because it was a smaller percentage?

Fucking people.

Link Posted: 8/31/2017 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

*snicker*

You shit all over the keyboard just a little too soon.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 4:25:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Who gives a fuck what percentage of his income it is?

Its still $25,000. Do you think the people that will be putting that money to use will recognize what a small percentage of his income it represents? Will his $25,000 not buy as much because it was a smaller percentage?

Fucking people.

View Quote
This.

The dude gave money. He didn't have to do shit and he did.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 4:27:53 PM EDT
[#49]
dont really see the problem. people at any income level that dont give anything
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 4:28:36 PM EDT
[#50]
FTR
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top