Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

That’s a might tasty lookin stew in the bottom pic there, Sir.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:17:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct, chili over rice, not rice in chili. And for the record, my Connecticut chili is seared beef and a mixture of dried peppers reconstituted, blended and strained into a slurry, some garlic and some onion.

Wait, you guys don’t blend your Chili?
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:17:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:18:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you are still requiring enjoyment after your first bowl of chili, grab a second.
View Quote

There are many enjoyments in this world. I intend to experience several. Rice detracts from few, including chili.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:19:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If people want beans in their chilli that's fine with me. I'm a live and let live kind of guy and won't criticize them for their lifestyle choices.

But what they are having is "Chilli and Beans" not "Chilli."

And I don't care if chilli and beans identifies as chilli or not, I'm not going to call it something that it isn't.
View Quote

So This!

You can certainly mix the two to eat chili with beans but REAL chili does not have ?? Beans.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Beans belong in chili.
View Quote
Then why does the can say Chili with beans ?

If beans belong in chili, it should just say chili.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:20:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Another argument in favor of Texas: The powdered spice most people call chili is primarily made from peppers in Texas. They certainly weren't grown in Pennsylvania, Illinois, or some of the other states that blanch at the idea of spice. Ergo: Chili is a Texas dish.

Q.E.D.
View Quote

No real chili is made from powder, use chilis. Chile? Peppers, dammit!
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:21:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Then why does the can say Chili with beans ?

If beans belong in chili, it should just say chili.
View Quote

The word can negates any proper chili conversation.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:23:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:23:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You know, I was about to post earlier that it's ludicrous to douse bland rice with a spicy stew, but then I remembered my fondness for Thai curry.
View Quote

You're not wrong.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:23:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Good night, all.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:31:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Good night, all.
View Quote

Good night.  Real chili has beans.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:31:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Where did the word chili come from?
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Good night.  Real chili has beans.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:32:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Would you put ketchup on a fine steak or ice cubes in a vintage wine? No? Then why would you besmirch the purity of chili with beans?
View Quote

I'd cook the meat in wine
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:32:38 PM EDT
[#17]
The nectar of the divine and enlightened. Take note one trick ponies.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:32:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Or a hotdog topping.
View Quote

Nope the chili on chili dogs has no beans...
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:33:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If people want beans in their chilli that's fine with me. I'm a live and let live kind of guy and won't criticize them for their lifestyle choices.

But what they are having is "Chilli and Beans" not "Chilli."

And I don't care if chilli and beans identifies as chilli or not, I'm not going to call it something that it isn't.
View Quote

chili not chilli
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/505993/SkylineChili-2_jpg-2924398.JPG

View Quote

I can’t tell if that’s spaghetti, or nachos of some kind on noodles, or cheese with a weird growth on the bottom.

:: visible confusion ::
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:33:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Nope the chili on chili dogs has no beans...
View Quote

Correct. That's what I was saying when quoting that post.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:34:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Or a hotdog topping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beans in chili, the rest is spaghetti sauce
Or a hotdog topping.

Truth!
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:35:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Chili has beans. This reminds me of the morons who get mad when someone refers to people from the United States as "americans".

"Buh wuh wuh about South and Central Americans! Could be them, so it doesn't mean people from the US!! Durrr!".

Which is dumb and bullshit. Ask everyone in the world to point to an American and 9/10 will point to the guy holding the US flag.

Words mean things, and if you did a poll most people by far would say chili has fucking beans.
View Quote

Chili does not have beans. Chili and bean soup is still good, but it's not chili.

Steaks cooked more than medium (I'm stretching it here) are a crime.

Ribs that fall off the bone are overcooked.

Cornbread is not sweet.

Plain cheese pizza is for retards and children.

Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:42:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ladies and gentlemen, gather round as I unveil the unspeakable travesty that has befallen our beloved culinary world: beans in chili. Now, I know what you’re thinking. “Beans? In chili? How bad could it possibly be?” Brace yourselves.

First and foremost, let’s consult the annals of chili history. Chili con carne, a dish with roots deep in the heartland of Texas, was birthed in a world where the simple marriage of meat and spices was more than sufficient. It was a symphony of flavors, an ode to the prowess of the cowboy, and an anthem to the heat of the desert. But somewhere along the line, someone thought, "You know what this perfect dish needs? Beans." That's like saying the Mona Lisa needs a nose ring or Beethoven's 9th Symphony needs a rap solo. It's an affront to tradition and an absolute culinary catastrophe.

Beans are traitorous little nuggets of deceit. They masquerade as meaty morsels but are nothing more than filler, distracting from the rich tapestry of flavors that chili inherently provides. They're like that one person who insists on singing along at a concert even though they're tone-deaf; they just don’t belong.

And from a texture perspective? Oh, don’t even get me started. A good chili should have a harmonious consistency, with the meat being the star. Introducing beans into the mix is like inviting a marching band to a ballet performance. Suddenly, there's chaos, discord, and a lot of people questioning their life choices.

Not to mention the gastrointestinal repercussions. Beans are notorious for their, ahem, musical side effects. Is that what we want for our chili eaters? A symphony of flatulence? I think not!

Lastly, think of the children. Do we want to raise a generation that believes beans belong in chili? What other culinary monstrosities will they come to accept? Pineapple on pizza? Milk before cereal? The horror!

So, next time someone suggests adding beans to chili, remember this impassioned plea. For the love of all things sacred in the culinary world, JUST SAY NO. Let us preserve the sanctity of chili, untainted and bean-free, for generations to come.
View Quote

Holy shit.  This is like the Shakespeare of wrongness
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:46:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Rice doesn't go in chili, that's a stew
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I believe OPs origin story to be correct. However he is leaving out a critical component. Food was scarce on the range. If Cookie had to stretch the rations, your chilli was getting beans and you'll be greatful for it.
View Quote

He leaves out your supposed "critical component" because chili con carne wasn't range food. Beans were.

Chili con carne was popularized by the Chili Queens of San Antonio. It did not contain beans. That is the original and traditional chili con carne or "Chili".

Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#27]
You can add beans to your chili, like you can add pineapple to your pizza. Authentic chili does not include beans.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#28]
You put that so eloquently it almost brought a tear to my eye. You good sir are the interwebs winner of the month and in your honor I may just have to make some chili this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:04:36 PM EDT
[#29]
You all are weird and gross
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:05:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Can't we just accept the fact that there's chili that has beans in it, and there's chili that doesn't...
View Quote

No.

Call it something else as in "Cincinnati Style Chili" or "Pennsylvania Style Bean, Corn and Mushroom Chili"......but not "Chili".

If someone says they made a Philly cheesesteak sandwich and they hand me chopped hotdogs on a Kings Hawaiian roll.......it aint a Philly cheesesteak.
No matter what your DEI office says, just because you think its a Philly, doesn't make it a Philly.

Tacos aren't made with Wonder bread and ketchup.
Barbecue doesn't come in a can.

For fucks sake be a man and understand that Asian Inspired Beyond Meat Tofurkey Fusion with Beans is not Chili.

Chili is a simple meat dish. It's chile peppers, seasonings and BEEF. Not deer, we call that "venison chili", not bear, that's "bear chili". And for heavens sake no bell peppers.....that's the sign of a pussy who don't know better. If there is green in your Bowl of Red, son, you fucked up. Habaneros, Ghost peppers, Carolina Reapers.......add nothing but heat and are the sign of a cook trying to hide his flavorless chili with heat. There ARE traditional  chile peppers and they are perfect.

Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:05:32 PM EDT
[#31]
That's like saying tater tot hotdish doesn't go with cream of mushroom.. its wronger than 2 boys fucking
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#32]
If you are not masculine enough to enjoy beans in chili then just go drink your Bud Light over in the corner and don't bother the men.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:10:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Chili doesn't have tomatoes or any tomato products either.
View Quote

Myth.
THE book on authentic Texas chili is "A Bowl of Red" by Francis X. Tolbert. He says there were recipes in South Texas that included tomatoes.
None with tomato sauce or tomato paste.

It is known as the "Pedernales River recipe" which was served on the LBJ Ranch.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If you are not masculine enough to enjoy beans in chili then just go drink your Bud Light over in the corner and don't bother the men.
View Quote

Vegetables are for those who can't enjoy a meat dish.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:14:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Now I have to wikipedia chili
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:14:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

No.

Call it something else as in "Cincinnati Style Chili" or "Pennsylvania Style Bean, Corn and Mushroom Chili"......but not "Chili".

If someone says they made a Philly cheesesteak sandwich and they hand me chopped hotdogs on a Kings Hawaiian roll.......it aint a Philly cheesesteak.
No matter what your DEI office says, just because you think its a Philly, doesn't make it a Philly.

Tacos aren't made with Wonder bread and ketchup.
Barbecue doesn't come in a can.

For fucks sake be a man and understand that Asian Inspired Beyond Meat Tofurkey Fusion with Beans is not Chili.

Chili is a simple meat dish. It's chile peppers, seasonings and BEEF. Not deer, we call that "venison chili", not bear, that's "bear chili". And for heavens sake no bell peppers.....that's the sign of a pussy who don't know better. If there is green in your Bowl of Red, son, you fucked up. Habaneros, Ghost peppers, Carolina Reapers.......add nothing but heat and are the sign of a cook trying to hide his flavorless chili with heat. There ARE traditional  chile peppers and they are perfect.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:15:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Or a hotdog topping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beans in chili, the rest is spaghetti sauce
Or a hotdog topping.
Still with this 'tardedness?

Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#38]
It's from fuckin ohio
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:16:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Texas chili my ass, did you see a ufo too?
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:18:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#41]
This reminds me of the grilled cheese subreddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/grilledcheese/
Go there and tell them about putting smoked turkey on a grilled cheese
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:21:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Test
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:22:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Beans are a low cost protein multiplier, and they belong in chili. 100%
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:25:18 PM EDT
[#44]
I’m of the NO beans sentiment.

I’m also gleefully surprised that some of the yanks concur.

You can enjoy your beans and rice, however gentlemen, it is not chili

I swear, those that believe beans belong in chili also believe in the Lost Cause

Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Beans are a low cost protein multiplier, and they belong in chili. 100%
View Quote

Dear bean advocate, while I acknowledge your argument about beans as a "low-cost protein multiplier," let us not forget the esteemed realm of chili purists. Chili is the food of gods, transcending mere mortal concoctions. Beans, however, have long been the fare of the poors.

Adding beans to chili is akin to wearing socks with sandals at a fashion show or serving boxed wine at a wine tasting. They might fill the pot and the belly, but they reduce the dish's noble essence.

So, before championing beans in chili, recall: just as a racehorse isn't meant for farm labor, chili isn’t meant for beans. Keep beans in their simple stews, and chili in its regal splendor.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#46]
So if there are no beans, what is chili?  Beef stew?
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:30:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/505993/SkylineChili-2_jpg-2924398.JPG

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:31:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Ladies and gentlemen, gather round as I unveil the unspeakable travesty that has befallen our beloved culinary world: beans in chili. Now, I know what you’re thinking. “Beans? In chili? How bad could it possibly be?” Brace yourselves.

First and foremost, let’s consult the annals of chili history. Chili con carne, a dish with roots deep in the heartland of Texas, was birthed in a world where the simple marriage of meat and spices was more than sufficient. It was a symphony of flavors, an ode to the prowess of the cowboy, and an anthem to the heat of the desert. But somewhere along the line, someone thought, "You know what this perfect dish needs? Beans." That's like saying the Mona Lisa needs a nose ring or Beethoven's 9th Symphony needs a rap solo. It's an affront to tradition and an absolute culinary catastrophe.

Beans are traitorous little nuggets of deceit. They masquerade as meaty morsels but are nothing more than filler, distracting from the rich tapestry of flavors that chili inherently provides. They're like that one person who insists on singing along at a concert even though they're tone-deaf; they just don’t belong.

And from a texture perspective? Oh, don’t even get me started. A good chili should have a harmonious consistency, with the meat being the star. Introducing beans into the mix is like inviting a marching band to a ballet performance. Suddenly, there's chaos, discord, and a lot of people questioning their life choices.

Not to mention the gastrointestinal repercussions. Beans are notorious for their, ahem, musical side effects. Is that what we want for our chili eaters? A symphony of flatulence? I think not!

Lastly, think of the children. Do we want to raise a generation that believes beans belong in chili? What other culinary monstrosities will they come to accept? Pineapple on pizza? Milk before cereal? The horror!

So, next time someone suggests adding beans to chili, remember this impassioned plea. For the love of all things sacred in the culinary world, JUST SAY NO. Let us preserve the sanctity of chili, untainted and bean-free, for generations to come.
View Quote

The very words you use belie your premise.  Why would "chili with meat" exist, were it not for the first existence of chili without meat?  And without meat, what would chili be but pepper sauce?  No, beans have always, and will always, be a part of proper chili.

Scotchy hath spoken.

(And as an aside, the very best chili I have ever tasted, [and I say this in complete seriousness as a man who has lived in New Orleans for a quarter of a century, and who has tasted MANY a great chili, with and without beans, from New Orleanians and native Texans alike,] was made by my vegetarian father with textured vegetable protein......and beans.)

Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:31:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Chili does not have beans. Chili and bean soup is still good, but it's not chili.

Steaks cooked more than medium (I'm stretching it here) are a crime.

Ribs that fall off the bone are overcooked.

Cornbread is not sweet.

Plain cheese pizza is for retards and children.

View Quote

I like the cut of your jib, sir.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:33:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top