[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of my top favorites:

Sopranos
The wire
Deadwood
View Quote
Add Boardwalk Empire and the list is good to go.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:12:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ugh, and Tonys mom.  I can't believe I forgot about her.   If I ever get that unbearable I hope my kids just put me out of my misery.
View Quote
She was based on David Chase's own mother.

I liked the ending.  Really the only way it could end, given who the writer was.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:13:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Interior decorator? His apartment looked like shit!
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:15:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Dr. Milfi was Henry Hill's wife in Goodfellas.
View Quote

Karen!
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:16:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I must be the only person who liked the ending.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:16:36 AM EDT
[#6]
One of the best shows i have ever seen.

100% worth it
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:17:11 AM EDT
[#7]
One of the Strippers at the Bing was a tranny, Chase said he got a kick out of the thought that dudes at home are googling over the stripper scenes and they'd never know they just checked out a tranny.

Best scene was when

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:20:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It has been a long time but I believe that the AK only appears in the first episode.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife and I switch off picking TV series to watch together.  Nothing on TV interests me anymore, so I tried getting away with AvE.

After describing him as "the Australian guy that talks about his dick" she shut it down.  So still being my turn I picked The Sopranos because I like mafia movies and I've never seen any of it before.

So far it's good (we're around episode 7 of season 1).  I like the AK Tonys wife keeps stashed for home invaders.  The psychologist annoys me a lot for some reason.  I am genuinely interested in learning more about the Mafia's decline.  Did they really just start rolling over on each other?  Tougher laws?
It has been a long time but I believe that the AK only appears in the first episode.
Also in the episode with the bear.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:23:02 AM EDT
[#9]
It's no Breaking Bad or anything, but it's a solid drama. Easily top 10 in my book.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:24:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
FIFY:

One of the best series ever with one of the stupidest fucking endings ever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One of the best series ever.
FIFY:

Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:24:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife and I switch off picking TV series to watch together.  Nothing on TV interests me anymore, so I tried getting away with AvE.

After describing him as "the Australian guy that talks about his dick" she shut it down.  So still being my turn I picked The Sopranos because I like mafia movies and I've never seen any of it before.

So far it's good (we're around episode 7 of season 1).  I like the AK Tonys wife keeps stashed for home invaders.  The psychologist annoys me a lot for some reason.  I am genuinely interested in learning more about the Mafia's decline.  Did they really just start rolling over on each other?  Tougher laws?
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:24:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So far that's true.  It didn't show up when they boxed up all their guns for storage at Tonys moms either.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:25:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Fugetaboutit
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:29:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Now I feel like binge watching the whole thing. Great series.

Occasionally I go to youtube and watch that video of all the times they said *Ohh!*  I think it's called The Sopran-OHs or something like that.

Plus, I'm a big fan of Adriana/Drea de Matteo.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51036/Ade-474159.JPG
View Quote
Man, I really was in shock when

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:40:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I didn't even know about the series because I'd dumped cable for all the leftist garbage.  Guys at work were talking about it and I like mafia movies. One if the guts had some box sets. Ended up watching the whole series over a span of a few years.

Actually, some of favorite parts were where the crew was just hanging out, playing cards, reenacting old Godfather scenes and busting each other.  I often wondered what real mob guys thought of mafia movies. :) Guess I still don't know.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:42:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
They wanted her to be the wife, she said I've taken that kind character as far as i can. I want to play a different part.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:58:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Now I feel like binge watching the whole thing. Great series.

Occasionally I go to youtube and watch that video of all the times they said *Ohh!*  I think it's called The Sopran-OHs or something like that.

Plus, I'm a big fan of Adriana/Drea de Matteo.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51036/Ade-474159.JPG
View Quote
I thought she looked kinda skanky.  There were dozens of women on the show I thought were more attractive.

For example:

Finn Talk With Felicia Galan - The Sopranos HD
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 1:00:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 1:05:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
And Mrs. Rizzoli.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 1:16:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I didn't even know about the series because I'd dumped cable for all the leftist garbage.  Guys at work were talking about it and I like mafia movies. One if the guts had some box sets. Ended up watching the whole series over a span of a few years.

Actually, some of favorite parts were where the crew was just hanging out, playing cards, reenacting old Godfather scenes and busting each other.  I often wondered what real mob guys thought of mafia movies. :) Guess I still don't know.
View Quote
In his excellent Inside the Actor's Studio, Gandolfini said that a high-up mobster reached out to him after Season 1 and scolded him for wearing shorts while portraying a boss, because "The Don never wears shorts"
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 1:20:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
A guy that's an interior decorator, killed 87 czechoslovakians
View Quote
One of the absolute best episodes.

Steve Buscemi directed it.  Snow in the the barrens was a fluke.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 1:23:54 AM EDT
[#22]
I started watching the Sopranos back when the shows were live so I didn't see how the show started but I liked it and watched up until the horrible ending... which was so horrible I vowed never to watch another episode ever again... and I've kept that vow.

My suggestion is to skip the final episode.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 1:25:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 1:26:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

OP, keep in mind. The show was never just a crime drama. It was really a dark comedy. The gangster's worldview. The stupid decisions. The rationales. And it really makes fun of the typical NJ Italians idea of style and taste. Tony shopping at Fountain's of Wayne was great. Paulie explaining snakes. All of their relationships with their mothers.......
View Quote
It's also just a slice of life here and their from their world. Unlike a lot of series where they telegraph stuff ages out, sometimes something will happen or they will introduce a new character that you might think will pay off later and never be mentioned again. Some things continue episode after episode and others come and go.

And the ending is great and if you pay attention pays off.  It's the only ending the series could have.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 1:29:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Funniest random 3 seconds of the series.

Tony Soprano - Poppers and Weird Sex
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 1:30:37 AM EDT
[#26]
I think my favorite moment was when Silvio picks up a who-ore from Ralph's house and just starts beating her ass in the drive way and Ralph is looking out his front window just laughing his ass off.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 1:40:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I think my favorite moment was when Silvio picks up a who-ore from Ralph's house and just starts beating her ass in the drive way and Ralph is looking out his front window just laughing his ass off.
View Quote
Haha, yeah that was a classic Sopranos dark comedy scene.

Link Posted: 3/7/2018 1:43:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Gloria Trillo
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 1:47:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Also, there's an HBO movie called Gotti that is like a dry run for the Sopranos. Features a ton of the same actors (different roles of course). Seeing Junior tell John Gotti he's fucking it all up is worth the price of admission alone.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 1:49:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Gloria Trillo
View Quote
It won't be cinematic.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 2:52:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Gloria Trillo
View Quote
Stone Solid FACT!
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 6:02:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Good show over all, but I remember feeling really let down if it was one of "dream" episodes.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 6:09:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 6:52:14 AM EDT
[#34]
What show is AvE?
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 7:05:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I always felt that “The Sopranos “ was a show that was less than the sum of its parts.

Some good writing and fantastic acting, but waaayyy too many episodes where nothing happens.

More than once, they’d say, “Stayed tuned for scenes from next week’s season finale...” and I’d think to myself,

The season’s over? But nothing happened!

I go back and watch episodes here and there, but I’d never sit and watch the entire run again.
View Quote
Exactly. I loved the show when they actually did mob stuff but the ton of pointless episodes got kinda old. Never finished it and got to like season 7. I usually had it playing in the background when I was doing other stuff
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 7:09:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Great series. I rewatched it a few years ago and it was still great.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 7:15:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Where is the gabagool?
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 7:23:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 7:49:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Hierarchy of my favorites:

1.  Breaking Bad

2.  The Sopranos

3.  Fargo (seasons 1 & 2)

4.  Better Call Saul

5.  Homeland (seasons 1 through 5)
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 7:54:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Well, at some point in the show - few seasons deep - Tony's shrink Dr. Melfi actually explains what a Cuck is or to cuckold.
That might be a help to quite a few here in GD.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 7:58:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
this

ever
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#42]
I thought the ending was just about perfect.

Click To View Spoiler

OP enjoy the show.  There are some characters that you'll literally want to reach through the TV and strangle.  And like any long running series there are story arcs that suck.  (The whole Johnny Cakes thing is f'n stupid, imo. )  But overall, it's a fantastic series and well worth the entertainment value.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 8:17:15 AM EDT
[#43]

But he's Canuckistanian, and he talks about your dick...
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

FIFY:

View Quote
The wife made me watch Lost, that was the worst ending ever.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 9:08:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Hierarchy of my favorites:

1.  Breaking Bad

2.  The Sopranos

3.  Fargo (seasons 1 & 2)

4.  Better Call Saul

5.  Homeland (seasons 1 through 5)
View Quote
Americans needs to be in there somewhere
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 9:12:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
One of my top favorites:

Sopranos
The wire
Deadwood
View Quote
Don't want to hijack the thread but Deadwood was awesome.  I liked the bar owner guy that called everyone a cocksucker.

As for the Sopranos, it was another great series.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 9:41:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What show is AvE?
View Quote
Youtube.

Pretty entertaining guy that mostly takes apart shit in his shop to see how it works and machining. If stranded on an island, I'm convinced he could make a radio out of coconuts.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 9:41:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Jersey here ! It's an awesome show. I just started it and I'm on season 4 right now.

The mob, It just kinda faded out. Watch Goodfellas, read Henry Hill's book. They are still there bit I guess but you don't hear the stories make the rounds anymore.

On a side note, Satin Dolls aka the "Bada Bing" on rt. 17 got shut down a few months ago. The manager had ties to OC and was under investigation for RICO violations. Sign out front says "closed for remodeling" and "opening soon"
View Quote
It's bullshit, they have a hard-on for them and keep trying to jam him up under ABC violations.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#49]
What is this, the Fucking UN???

Well, that’s our motto. Says right on the truck, if you’re not satisfied, double your garbage back guarantee!
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 9:53:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

band of brothers was better.

rome was good to.

sopranos was good, sorta like a soap opera for men about made guys.

deadwood i miss greatly.

when got is done, the writers should do aberchrombie's shattered seas series, one book per season, it would be a slam dunk.. its perfect for the hbo format.

eta .. 'the night of' was also a good short series.
View Quote
I think Abercrombies First Law trilogy or even his stand alone books in the same universe would all be way better
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top