Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Awesome movie! My E&I team watched this in the day room of Cape Lisburne, Alaska during a bad snow blizzard in 1983 - 84 time frame. Cape Lisburne is 200 miles above the Artic circle (Yes, I know the movie takes place at McMurdo Bay in Antartica), but same conditions. The camp had a total of maybe 12 people in it at the time. When the camp was manned by the USAF, it housed between 200 - 300 people.
View Quote

I know someone that works in Antarctica, he said The Thing is the most watched movie down there, I can't imagine a better movie to watch when wintering over. He's at Palmer right now, but I think he was at McMurdo in the past. Has to be surreal to watch it there.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I stumbled on to it on tv one night. not a fan of horor flicks, but, dammit, I had a big bowl of ice cream and needed something to watch. The theme music drew me in and everything else held me there. Wudda phenomenal film. Still haven't seen it on a big screen. Watched the old James Arness version last week, followed up with the original The Day The Earth Stood Still.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 2:23:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Why does anyone think that a person that is a Thing wouldn't have breath that you could see in the cold in the first place?
Are you suggesting that you could just point a thermometer at people two tell who is a Thing and who is not?

You can clearly see Bennings before they light him up, but he was not 200% copied.
Pretty sure you can see the dogs breath in the beginning, but I need to double check.
View Quote

Keith David himself is on record as saying they did nothing special, and he thought it was just a trick of the light, or him being closer to the fire. He admitted that Carpenter might have added something in postprocessing, but that he had never asked him, and always considered the ending to have been deliberately ambiguous.

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 2:24:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I stumbled on to it on tv one night. not a fan of horor flicks, but, dammit, I had a big bowl of ice cream and needed something to watch. The theme music drew me in and everything else held me there. Wudda phenomenal film. Still haven't seen it on a big screen. Watched the old James Arness version last week, followed up with the original The Day The Earth Stood Still.
View Quote

The original The Thing is one of my all time favorites.  You can't go wrong with those old sci fi 50's films.....even the cheesy, made purely for drive ins movies were fun.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 2:25:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

His 2nd Form looks more like the picture above.

Also:

Attachment Attached File

Deadspace was awesome for "The Thing" fans. It's basically "The Thing" in Spaaaaace
Attachment Attached File

Ok it's more like if The Thing and Event Horizon had a baby with a splash of Night of the Living Dead.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 2:28:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Deadspace was awesome for "The Thing" fans. It's basically "The Thing" in Spaaaaace
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/333164/RHDOW4W_jpg-2552809.JPG

Ok it's more like if The Thing and Event Horizon had a baby with a splash of Night of the Living Dead.
View Quote

So is my scifi series. It's basically ARF meets The Thing in space. :D

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 2:32:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The game is canon as far as I know, bro. Carpenter endorsed it and did cameo voice acting in it as I recall. I am familiar with all the arguments. I am just telling you straight up, the game is as close to a sequel as the movie has, and it seems to have Carpenter's blessing. Will he change his mind later? Who knows. But he pretty much signed on the the video game as 'correct', and neither one of those guys were a thing.

View Quote

I would also add: One of the creepier VGs I've ever played.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 2:35:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Just checked. Playing this weekend here in Vegas.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I loved that movie!!!  The remake SUCKED
View Quote

The Thing (2011) Ending / The Thing (1982) Opening | The Thing | Science Fiction Station

At least they got the ending right. Skip to 3:13 for some awesome continuity.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#10]
It is without a doubt one of the greatest science fiction/horror movies ever made. Would love to see it on the big screen.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mind sending me a link?

I like reading Scifi, also wasted countless hours reading r/hfy, ,The Deathworlders, etc
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 2:42:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The game is canon as far as I know, bro. Carpenter endorsed it and did cameo voice acting in it as I recall. I am familiar with all the arguments. I am just telling you straight up, the game is as close to a sequel as the movie has, and it seems to have Carpenter's blessing. Will he change his mind later? Who knows. But he pretty much signed on the the video game as 'correct', and neither one of those guys were a thing.

Yeah, when one of your buds freaked out and capped himself in panic, it was a memorable if annoying moment.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 2:42:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Excellent horror movie.

Definitely inspired monster design in Resident Evil 4, and inspired Parasyte the Maxim Anime.

Honestly I feel like it also inspired Dead Space (As did Event Horizon)

Imo the special effects still hold up today
View Quote

It was also the main inspiration for the game Among Us, as well as the necromorphs in Dead Space.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 2:46:58 PM EDT
[#14]
To OP's edit:

- Child's running off and showing up again is extremely suspect, as pretty much anyone else who vanished got infected.

- MacReady sharing the bottle with him, and him taking it and drinking from it willingly, and then MacReady laughing, (perhaps the absence of breath thing too), was, for me, an "aha," moment that MacReady realized Child's was a Thing, and he's laughing out of cynicism.

Idk, that's just a new way I started interpreting the ending.  I had seen it many times before coming to that "revelation," but I know it's intentionally left ambiguous, which is fun.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Mind sending me a link?

I like reading Scifi, also wasted countless hours reading r/hfy, ,The Deathworlders, etc
View Quote

LOL - Me too!
Some of it is awesome, some... not so much.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 2:54:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I watched it when I was about 10 years old and watch it whenever its on tv.   One of the best if not the best horror movies.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 2:56:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/333164/Norris_PNG-2552791.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/333164/Bitores-Mendez-Teaches-You-the-Politics--2552792.JPG

His 2nd Form looks more like the picture above.

Also:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/333164/A-Necromorph-of-Dead-Space-top-and-the-a-2552806.JPG

View Quote
Deadspace was amazing.  The new Calisto Protocol looks amazing tool.

The Callisto Protocol - The Truth of Black Iron Trailer | PS5 & PS4 Games

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 2:58:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Perfect winter horror movie. Hollywood is literally incapable of making anything like it ever again and they should NEVER attempt to do a remake.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 3:11:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Check out the Outpost 31 The Thing fansite.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 4:14:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I just ordered this board game "The Thing Infection at Outpost 31". Reminds me of Battlestar Galactica board game. Can't wait to give it a spin.

ETA: WTF is wrong with Arf's amazon link display? Meh, here's the plain link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B097SSF42Z
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 4:24:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I just ordered this board game "The Thing Infection at Outpost 31". Reminds me of Battlestar Galactica board game. Can't wait to give it a spin.

ETA: WTF is wrong with Arf's amazon link display? Meh, here's the plain link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B097SSF42Z
View Quote

I wonder if you can tie Garry to that fucking couch!

??
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 4:55:08 PM EDT
[#24]
What in the actual fuck???

There goes my grip on reality - right out the fucking window.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 5:07:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I think neither were.  There was a Dark Horse comic that picked up right after that but I never got to look at it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I wonder if you can tie Garry to that fucking couch!

View Quote

If it's anything like Battlestar, maybe. Battlestar allowed you to put people in the brig, and in a later expansion you could push them out of an airlock. I'll know more when it gets here Saturday.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If it's anything like Battlestar, maybe. Battlestar allowed you to put people in the brig, and in a later expansion you could push them out of an airlock. I'll know more when it gets here Saturday.
View Quote

I know some people I would like to push out of an airlock.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 6:01:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 6:28:11 PM EDT
[#29]
One of my favorite movies.
Glad I got to watch it in Theaters for the 40th anniversary a couple months ago
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Just found a local showing this week.  Saw it in '82 when it came out, definitely going.....

I was stationed at Ft Greely, Alaska in 1986,  this was a regular watch in the appropriate conditions to make it spooky.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I still use that line pretty often. Usually in situations where it isn't in the least appropriate. Will definitely use it if I ever meet anyone from Norway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Hey Sweden"
I still use that line pretty often. Usually in situations where it isn't in the least appropriate. Will definitely use it if I ever meet anyone from Norway.

We we're in Switzerland with a friend and she would keep wanting to say Sweden or Swedish and every time I would put on my shit eating grin and say "They're not not Swedes Mac".  She got a pretty good kick out of that.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:03:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I used to work in Antarctica, and I can tell you the risk is WAY overstated. The lab specimens almost never escaped the lab and ran around the ship eating grad students.

Besides, we never got flamethrowers, thanks USCG. I guess the guys working shoreside hogged up all that fun. They always got the cool toys. We had to make do with fire axes and carpentry tools.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Awesome movie! My E&I team watched this in the day room of Cape Lisburne, Alaska during a bad snow blizzard in 1983 - 84 time frame. Cape Lisburne is 200 miles above the Artic circle (Yes, I know the movie takes place at McMurdo Bay in Antartica), but same conditions. The camp had a total of maybe 12 people in it at the time. When the camp was manned by the USAF, it housed between 200 - 300 people.

I know someone that works in Antarctica, he said The Thing is the most watched movie down there, I can't imagine a better movie to watch when wintering over. He's at Palmer right now, but I think he was at McMurdo in the past. Has to be surreal to watch it there.

I used to work in Antarctica, and I can tell you the risk is WAY overstated. The lab specimens almost never escaped the lab and ran around the ship eating grad students.

Besides, we never got flamethrowers, thanks USCG. I guess the guys working shoreside hogged up all that fun. They always got the cool toys. We had to make do with fire axes and carpentry tools.

Thought about doing it. Seems like it would be a cool experience.

How did they handle stuff like a medical or even dental emergency? evac?
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 2:01:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 4:50:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I loved that movie!!!  The remake SUCKED
View Quote

It was a prequel, & it was disappointing. Not sure why Carpenter gave it his "blessing", though it wasn't terrible, but CGI didn't help. I read Carpenter was playing with the idea of a sequel, or maybe even a reboot (Please no), which could have potential, but even original creaters can turf their own creations. Take Ridley Scott, for example.

If it's going to happen, should probably be sooner than later.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 5:32:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My favorite horror movie.
View Quote

Mine, too.

I'd always heard stories of people running out of theaters playing certain horror movies in the past, but that was the only one i ever actually witnessed it.

That early scene where the infected dog's face split open like a banana peel. This teenaged black girl two rows up jumped up and yelled: "Naw...Hell!" and tried to cover her eyes and ears from the screen using her arms. Last thing i heard her scream on her way  out was: "Fuck that shit!"
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 5:44:35 AM EDT
[#36]
You can see Childs's breath at the end. There's a really good video about who gets infected and when on YouTube.

WHO KILLED WHO in John Carpenter's The Thing (1982)

Link Posted: 10/7/2022 7:47:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What in the actual fuck???

There goes my grip on reality - right out the fucking window.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2048/tt_JPG-2553003.jpg
View Quote

I see what you did there......

Bravo!  You win the internet today.

Link Posted: 10/7/2022 7:53:00 AM EDT
[#38]
I just assumed MacReady was going to kill Childs regardless if he was human or a thing.

The Thing > E.T.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 12:43:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Best friend and I were in college when we watched it. Liked it so much we turned right around and watched the next showing!
Was the last movie ever to disturb my sleep, but it was worth it!
Definitely the best of the 'old school' horror movies before CGI took over (sigh...)
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I forgot who was planning a retrospective review of it this month? But people still remember it. I haven’t watched the much older one in a long time.
View Quote

The Thing from another world (1951)?
Still a solid movie, just not as amazing as the 1982 version.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 1:11:04 PM EDT
[#41]
I saw it at the drive-in when it came out and dozens of times since (have the VHS and DVDs). For me, it's almost the perfect guy and gun movie right up there with Red Dawn, Omega Man, Escape from New York, and a few others on my list. I do wish they would have fired the HK93 since it wound up in their gun cabinet:

Although, the IMFDB  doesn't mention it, it appears that there is an M16A1 (or maybe an SP1) in the gun cabinet as well. I have freeze framed this scene and it's visible. I really wish they would have blasted away with it. Hard to fathom that not one of those guys would have armed themselves with those two rifles after the SHTF. That would have made the movie five out of five stars for me instead of four.

Here is a pic grabbed from the dvd:

Although hard to see (it's actually more clear when the video is playing), the M16A1 or AR-15 SP1 is all the way to the right and the Norwegian's HK93/33 is to the left of it. The grip and stock can be seen but there appears to be a GI sling attached which blocks some of the rifle.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 2:01:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Watching THE THING at Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station in Antarctica

From the fansite: https://www.outpost31.com/coolstuff
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 2:04:21 PM EDT
[#43]

You can't The Thing with that much light coming into the room. It needs to be dark they need to put up blackout curtains
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 3:35:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You can't The Thing with that much light coming into the room. It needs to be dark they need to put up blackout curtains
View All Quotes
Quoted:

True. You can't watch it with a rainbow flag hanging from the ceiling either.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

True. You can't watch it with a rainbow flag hanging from the ceiling either.
View Quote

Oh fuck I just noticed that. You're right you can't do that either
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I think they didn't trust each other, and grimly froze to death.  
The ending is ambiguous, but that is my opinion.
View Quote

I concur.

There is actually a totally cannon sequel video game where Childs freezes to death, and Mac somehow escapes and gets another helicopter
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Bro, the video doesn't lie.  1982, no plans for a video game.  2002, hey why don't we make a video game.  VIDEO GAME TEAM:  John, do you want to make more $ selling the rights to your characters for a video game.  JOHN:  Sure I do.  VIDEO GAME TEAM:  Ok, but we need a plot and it's going to deviate from your ending slightly.  JOHN:  No problem, I'll tell the fans what they want to hear and some will believe and some won't.  My mailing address is, when you're ready to send the check.
View Quote

That is probably exactly how it went down

How do you feel about people remaking your films?

"I love it, if they are going to pay me money. If they pay me, it’s wonderful. If they don’t pay me, I don’t care. I think it’s unfair if they don’t pay me. I think everyone should pay me. Why not? I’m an old guy now and I need money. Send me money." - John Carpenter
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 6:11:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I saw it at the drive-in when it came out and dozens of times since (have the VHS and DVDs). For me, it's almost the perfect guy and gun movie right up there with Red Dawn, Omega Man, Escape from New York, and a few others on my list. I do wish they would have fired the HK93 since it wound up in their gun cabinet:

https://www.imfdb.org/images/d/d2/Thing125.JPG

Although, the IMFDB  doesn't mention it, there is an M16A1 (or maybe an SP1) in the gun cabinet as well. I have freeze framed this scene and it's visible. I really wish they would have blasted away with it. Hard to fathom that not one of those guys would have armed themselves with those two rifles after the SHTF. That would have made the movie five out of five stars for me instead of four.
View Quote

In one of the interviews I watched over the years regarding this movie, John Carpenter said that during the shoot there was only one woman present on the crew, and she was pregnant and had to leave very early on.  He estimated that 90-95% of principal photography was just men.  He said it wasn't intentional, it just happened that way.  He also said that it gave the movie a very different vibe during the filming, and I think that carries over into the finished product as well.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#49]
The Thing represented peak practical special effects.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 8:00:38 PM EDT
[#50]
One hour until show time.  Very exciting!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top