Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 2:20:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the story. I sent it to my Dad while he is recovering. He loves these stories.

I do have a question though. After reading, I believe they dropped off all their passengers in Darwin. Correct? Or did the passengers accompany them the whole trip?

Thanks. I am going to buy the books.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 2:24:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Very cool story.  My great uncle started at Pan Am as a radio operator on Clippers.  Retired as a 707 captain in the 60's.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very cool story.  My great uncle started at Pan Am as a radio operator on Clippers.  Retired as a 707 captain in the 60's.
View Quote
@Ameshawki - He flew out of Treasure Island?
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 2:53:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I did a thread about the Clippers a while back, not sure while I titled it clipper ships!  I always liked the time period from maybe the mid 1930's until the outbreak of World War 2.  I would have loved to have seen Manila, HK, etc. in an earlier time.

Pan Am Clipper

Pan Am Clipper arives in Manila
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

@Ameshawki - He flew out of Treasure Island?
View Quote
I don't recall.  I only met the guy three or four times in my life. Uncle Si.   I know he started as a radio operator on Great Lakes ore boats.  Started with Pan Am in the 30's sometime, as a radio guy. I know he worked Clippers.  Worked his way through the ranks.  Retired in the late 60's.  Last home port was Miami, I think.  Started out life as an Iowa farm kid.  He got out of PA before they folded.  I think both his sons went into aviation as well.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 5:04:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for the story. I sent it to my Dad while he is recovering. He loves these stories.

I do have a question though. After reading, I believe they dropped off all their passengers in Darwin. Correct? Or did the passengers accompany them the whole trip?

Thanks. I am going to buy the books.
View Quote
I believe they dropped off the passengers. It'd be a hell kf a risk to try to bring them all the way back.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 9:31:05 PM EDT
[#8]
The June 2018 issue of Naval History has an article on the Sikorsky flying boats and another on the PBY museum in Oak Harbor, Washington.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Just spoke with my uncle who worked at as an airplane mechanic for Pan Am at Treasure Island (SF Bay Area). He does not recall the clipper's skipper or crew.  Oh well, he's in his nineties.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 1:02:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just spoke with my uncle who worked at as an airplane mechanic for Pan Am at Treasure Island (SF Bay Area). He does not recall the clipper's skipper or crew.  Oh well, he's in his nineties.
View Quote
When I was kid, I got to meet an old guy who took a TWA 307 pretty much all over the planet.

Those guys were just crazy. He said the USAAC guys just showed up with 150 hours Bamboo Bomber time and claimed to be aircraft commanders, and everyone just laughed and said, "sit over there, junior, and don't touch nothing."
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When I was kid, I got to meet an old guy who took a TWA 307 pretty much all over the planet.

Those guys were just crazy. He said the USAAC guys just showed up with 150 hours Bamboo Bomber time and claimed to be aircraft commanders, and everyone just laughed and said, "sit over there, junior, and don't touch nothing."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The interwar civilian pilots were pretty impressive and their culture/attitude was as well. Pioneers of the sky.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 11:49:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't recall.  I only met the guy three or four times in my life. Uncle Si.   I know he started as a radio operator on Great Lakes ore boats.  Started with Pan Am in the 30's sometime, as a radio guy. I know he worked Clippers.  Worked his way through the ranks.  Retired in the late 60's.  Last home port was Miami, I think.  Started out life as an Iowa farm kid.  He got out of PA before they folded.  I think both his sons went into aviation as well.
View Quote
@Ameshawki - can you IM me his name?
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
WOW.... That action and article series is definitely Movie Script Material if they could come up with a reasonable stand in for a Boeing 314, and not ef it up with too much hokey CGI.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 12:34:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That would make an awesome movie. Why can't Hollywood do that one instead of fucking around with classics like Ghostbusters?
View Quote
Cause American Exceptionalism is bad. Mmmmmkay?

I forwarded this to my friend who flew for PanAm. He then joined us at TWA...two of the pioneers.

I’m pretty good at what I do but I’m not fit to be in the same room with the guys who did that type of flying. True heroes. I did learn from a couple guys who flew the Connie’s at TWA. So, I got that going for me.

TC
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 12:43:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It’s really impossible to understate the impact of Pan Am and TWA on making modern travel and modern all weather long range air operations possible.

The military and federal government had far less to do with it than a bunch of guys wondering if it was possible and trying it.
View Quote
Nailed it.

TWA version...
Attachment Attached File

TWA version after the military commandeered it...
Attachment Attached File

TWA parlayed those aircraft flying Trans-Atlantic routes into their “round the world” route network after WWII.

TC
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 12:47:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
New Zealand  to New York? Is this really circumnavigation?
View Quote
Close enough in a radial-engined airplane. What are you, a lawyer?

TC
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

TC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TC
Especially since the flight originated in San Fransisco.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 1:42:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Do you own a Globe???

Jeesh.. There always one in the crowd...

I look forward to your story...
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Wasn't there a guy that owned a Catalina that lived in it as a permanent residence? He turned the inside into living quarters.
Seems there was a topic on it here years ago.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 2:02:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Wasn't there a guy that owned a Catalina that lived in it as a permanent residence? He turned the inside into living quarters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/424/Sweet-Dreams-and-Nightmares.aspx
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 2:04:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Today, the OP delivered.

Absolutely awesome read.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Awesome read OP.  Thanks for sharing it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Obviously you're not civil service or military.  There's a saying an old government machinist taught me: "Good enough for government work."  
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Very very cool story.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 4:08:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 4:46:50 PM EDT
[#26]
The greatest generation!

- Clint
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Incredible story. Should be a movie.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 10:52:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Great story, just finished the book on kindle it’s a rather short book, so about half of gd will have the reading comprehension to finish it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 10:56:51 PM EDT
[#29]
I bought the paperback.  It’s a pretty good read.

If you promise to keep passing it on, I’ll drop it in the mail to the first person to pm me.

Maybe we can keep it going for awhile.

Update: the paperback is on its way to Texas.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 11:49:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Was everyone else able to click on part 2?    I have so much protection on my web browser I might as well unplug the computer.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 1:50:10 AM EDT
[#31]
I seem to recall reading something on this a few years ago. Still a fascinating story. Amazing what they did.

Do not believe that the entitled generation of now could even complete one leg of this journey.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 1:55:00 AM EDT
[#32]
tag
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 2:09:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Great story, I’m stealing it to send to my (Boeing) co-workers.

Link Posted: 6/19/2018 4:37:36 PM EDT
[#34]
glad people are still discovering and enjoying this story
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That was badass. I feel like I just watched the first 3 Indiana Jones movies at once in the time it took to read that.
View Quote
With this playing in the background:

Link Posted: 6/20/2018 9:44:06 AM EDT
[#36]
thats amazing and spotting a random jap sub. Imagine that big ass place flying toward you bet they were crapping their pants just as much lol.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 9:31:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
thats amazing and spotting a random jap sub. Imagine that big ass place flying toward you bet they were crapping their pants just as much lol.
View Quote
I bet they were a little spooked. Especially since there weren't any known hostile airfields nearby.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:51:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Great read! Thank you OP!
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:31:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Was everyone else able to click on part 2?    I have so much protection on my web browser I might as well unplug the computer.
View Quote
https://medium.com/lapsed-historian/the-long-way-round-part-2-dff698a18a60

https://medium.com/lapsed-historian/the-long-way-round-part-3-70a315c26788
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 12:08:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:  I bought the paperback.  It’s a pretty good read.

If you promise to keep passing it on, I’ll drop it in the mail to the first person to pm me.

Maybe we can keep it going for awhile.

Update: the paperback is on its way to Texas.
View Quote
Finished.  Who's next, or do I send it back to steelworker?

Good read, and extensive bibliography.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 2:20:38 PM EDT
[#41]
What a great story.!!

I remember as a kid,my parents taking me up Mt Victoria, overlooking Evans Bay in Wellington Harbor,
to watch the Sundeland's take off, going to Sydney, and who-knows-where else.
Even then I was amazed that something that big could fly.
This was before the .gov pushed a hill into the bay to make the runway longer at Rongotai Airport,
getting ready for land-based long-distance flights.

So that must have been late '50's,  early '60's.
Later, I had my first airplane ride there, in a DC-3, to Nelson.

Shit, just typing this is bringing back memories of that parking lot. (at night, - good times were had there).
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 11:07:53 PM EDT
[#42]
It's amazing to think about the balls required to make a flight like that without even having the maps, and knowing a mistake means capture or starvation on the sea
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 12:19:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Last call before I mail it back to steelworker.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 12:42:35 AM EDT
[#44]
@backbencher

I will take it next. Going into an exercise at the end of next week and need a good story to keep me entertained when I can't have my phone.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 12:45:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted: @backbencher

I will take it next. Going into an exercise at the end of next week and need a good story to keep me entertained when I can't have my phone.
View Quote
Shoot me an IM w/ your address.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 1:24:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
That was great.

A plane so overloaded with fuel that the fucking wings bent enough to jam the mechanisms controlling the flaps, and then subsequently having to surf the damn plane through a canyon with rapids below, all in an effort to finally take off.

Jesus.

I'd be interested to read about what these planes did during WW2.

So many stories are just lost, forgotten, or hidden from our own histories.
View Quote
Priority transport from the states to Hawaii etc
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 10:52:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Lots of Trans-Atlantic crossings of VIPs to Britain as well.  Shorter range cargo flights refueled in Greenland or Iceland.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 11:50:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WOW.... That action and article series is definitely Movie Script Material if they could come up with a reasonable stand in for a Boeing 314, and not ef it up with too much hokey CGI.
This
I just sent the story link to a friend in the film production industry.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 3:02:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: @backbencher

Packaged up and mailing this afternoon.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
@backbencher

View Quote
Enroute.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top