Link Posted: 7/17/2018 5:03:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Excellent read! Thank you OP.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 1:43:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was everyone else able to click on part 2?    I have so much protection on my web browser I might as well unplug the computer.
https://medium.com/lapsed-historian/the-long-way-round-part-2-dff698a18a60

https://medium.com/lapsed-historian/the-long-way-round-part-3-70a315c26788
Tag
Bump
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 2:11:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Fucking awesome.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 2:52:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Best read I have had in a good long while. Thanks for posting this.

I would pay to see this on the big screen. Netflix ought to jump on this and make an adaptation.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 3:03:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Awesome story, needs a movie done right.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#6]
To those saying a movie needs to be made, you are damn right. Perfect material for the right director.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 2:01:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Enroute.
View Quote
Received.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 12:31:53 AM EDT
[#8]
OP, excellent read.  Thanks for sharing.

I first heard of this story in the early-90's in an issue of "Air & Space".  But, it was only a 2-page article and didn't go into near enough detail - glossing over some of the details even the shortened online article had.  Still, I was impressed enough with the bravery and the cajones of the crew to even attempt such a feat. And yes, God must've been along as the copilot for parts of it.

One has to remember many early circumnavigation attempts were made with lots of advanced planning, maps, laying out logistics and/or contacts ahead - and some still failed.  They had to do all of this on the fly.  Each mile they covered was pushing both man and equipment further and harder than both had been pushed before.  And, they would almost certainly be S-O-L if something had gone wrong whether over the middle of an ocean or over land.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP, excellent read.  Thanks for sharing.

I first heard of this story in the early-90's in an issue of "Air & Space".  But, it was only a 2-page article and didn't go into near enough detail - glossing over some of the details even the shortened online article had.  Still, I was impressed enough with the bravery and the cajones of the crew to even attempt such a feat. And yes, God must've been along as the copilot for parts of it.

One has to remember many early circumnavigation attempts were made with lots of advanced planning, maps, laying out logistics and/or contacts ahead - and some still failed.  They had to do all of this on the fly.  Each mile they covered was pushing both man and equipment further and harder than both had been pushed before.  And, they would almost certainly be S-O-L if something had gone wrong whether over the middle of an ocean or over land.
View Quote
It is an amazing story, one that deserves to be far better known than it is.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top