Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 3/18/2019 4:05:41 PM EDT
Help a guy that’s on the fence.

I’m no wanna be commando, I respect actual commando’s too much to dress up like one without having earned it. I’m disciplined with my money, but am not afraid to spend good money where it’s worth it.

Im having trouble seeing the use case for myself. I don’t work in LE or the armed services, I work a desk job and lead what is ultimately a boring traditional lifestyle (4 young kids, 40 hours a week, 1 vacation a year, etc). I understand the value of armor if I ever found myself being shot at, I just can’t imagine a scenario where I’d actually use it short of a Red Dawn event, which is impossible. I’m not going to lace one up mid home invasion due to time, and I’m not going to run out to my car to grab it and head back into the office to stop a shooting spree as I’d likely just get lumped in with the actual shooter.

Help me see how I’m justified spending $400 or more on a decent setup.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a sub-forum in the Armory that will be able to answer many of your questions and concerns.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I’m no wanna be commando, I respect actual commando’s too much to dress up like one without having earned it. I’m disciplined with my money, but am not afraid to spend good money where it’s worth it.

Im having trouble seeing the use case for myself. I don’t work in LE or the armed services, I work a desk job and lead what is ultimately a boring traditional lifestyle (4 young kids, 40 hours a week, 1 vacation a year, etc). I understand the value of armor if I ever found myself being shot at, I just can’t imagine a scenario where I’d actually use it short of a Red Dawn event, which is impossible. I’m not going to lace one up mid home invasion due to time, and I’m not going to run out to my car to grab it and head back into the office to stop a shooting spree as I’d likely just get lumped in with the actual shooter.

View Quote
link?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I paid 3 or 400 for a set of ceramics.

I never use it

But its nice to have just in case

Ive spent more on stupid shit that Ive long forgotten about

Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:13:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Larping. I look super cool when mom picks me up in full kit.

For real though, great for physical conditioning when run and gunning, and good to have for SHTF I guess. After I spend 2-3 hours on the range in a vest, when I take it off I feel much lighter.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:13:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought mine for a combo SHTF event as well as for a bump in the night. My reasoning being if I did hear something most likely I will be sheltering in place (i live alone) and calling the cops. I took a couple force on force/ room clearing classes and can honestly say, f**k doing that for real. While waiting for the cops I can throw on my plate carrier in case it is a real threat. Just gives me an added layer of protection. YMMV

p.s. it is always good advice to give the cops a description of yourself if they are called, especially if you are going to be armed and kitted out.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Another tid bit is I could see them wanting to ban armor down the road
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:15:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This is rated for .308 stoppage
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I’m in the same boat OP. I bought a steel set of armor for about 200 with a vest included. Good enough for STHF and I use it for workouts weekly. If everyday I’d get something more high end and lighter weight
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Armor stops bullets.

I have steel, which I admittedly never wear, but I'm going to get a ceramic set.

I can't understand being a gun guy and not wanting armor. Shit if I had the money I'd buy a tank.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#10]
How much time does it take to put a vest or plates on?

Seconds.  Not a lot of them.

If you're going to a gunfight, bring armor.  I keep mine under my bed and in easy reach.  It doesn't even need to be fastened to be effective.  Just drop it over your head and it's working.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:23:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Yup, that's my excuse. It'll just take one incident where it's used and it will the next thing on the lefts list
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Most likely use would probably be major grid down or riot scenario, which may be more likely than you think, OP.

Steel plates plus a basic carrier costs the same as a big night at Applebee’s. For a little SHTF insurance, why not?

I bet you have plenty of stuff collecting dust that you’re less likely to use that won’t save your life.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:35:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think I paid 3 or 400 for a set of ceramics.

I never use it

But its nice to have just in case

Ive spent more on stupid shit that Ive long forgotten about

View Quote
Pretty much this.  For me it was the thinking that I'd rather be at a point of having spent $400 on a setup and never needed it, than needing it and not having it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:38:41 PM EDT
[#14]
For the instagram hearts.

And running Combat Class.  Which, unless you're a total stud, sucks ass.

Can't wait to do it again.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Not having more holes than you were born with is awesome. Armor helps me there.

Kinda like seeing the dark. It's awesome.

Plenty of scenarios where having plates is nice. Can be mundane like rifle classes or more extreme like riots.

Live your life off the Aristotle principle: No bullshit, just cool shit.

Plates are pretty cool shit. You should get some, OP.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:45:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Body armor has saved a lot of lives over the years, I can't think of any reason not to have it on some level.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#17]
There are plenty of scenarios where body armor is effective and can save your life or at the very least provide you with a little tactical advantage that just might be the difference between life and death. Op must have never experienced a full fledged "Blackout" where the power in the entire city goes out, thus allowing/encouraging the animals in the human zoos called ghettos to leave their cages to rape, rob, murder, and pillage at will because first responders are too busy to respond. The same kind of things happen in all kinds of emergencies like ice storms, regular storms/tornadoes/earthquakes/hurricanes (think New Orleans)/and/or terrorist attacks that affect a large part of the city. These situations allow you plenty of time to gear up and prepare for marauders raiding neighborhoods looking for easy pickings because the police response will be delayed or non-existent. But, that's your decision. You don't like to have insurance (guns/spare ammo/body armor/gas masks/etc, then don't worry about it. You probably don't have automobile accident insurance, health insurance, or life insurance either.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:50:47 PM EDT
[#18]
i've been to ranges that have had negligent discharges into the firing line. the incident led to the facility's permanent closure. a similar incident occurred at 2 other locations, both of which closed. i later changed to BLM land for shooting where i've heard stray bullets within a few meters.  it's just like traffic accidents - when a deadly weapon is involved, it's an eventuality. i wear a seat belt for traffic accidents, now i wear a 'seat belt' for ranges.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:50:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not just you op, but what is with all the apologist, worry what others think bull shit?
Don’t fall into this pc bullshit, live you life how you want.

If you do or don’t want to be a commando or wanna be, who gives a shit. Do what you want.
If you want something whether you can use it or not, fucking buy it.
It’s no worse than other collectibles. All kinds of people collect weird shit.

If this offends anyone, oh well. Won’t change my day.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:51:32 PM EDT
[#20]
1. Shit happens.

2. Body armor stops bullets.

Sometimes one and two are related.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Armor stops bullets.

I have steel, which I admittedly never wear, but I'm going to get a ceramic set.

I can't understand being a gun guy and not wanting armor. Shit if I had the money I'd buy a tank.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:57:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I work in a large city, depending on where the latest series of car crashes is I may have to take some back roads through some impoverished or inner-city areas to get home.  The vitriol was getting so intense when The Donald was running for president that I felt there was an even money chance of riots if he won the election.  I had the spare cash, I shopped around, I bought myself an inexpensive plate carrier, ceramics front and back, and AR500 side plates.  If the mood in the city gets tense, I throw a duffel bag and tennis raquet case into the trunk for my commute.  I've never needed to put them on yet, but I'm glad to have them.

That said, as spring warms up I plan on using the carrier as an ersatz weight vest for when I go out on my dog walking expeditions.  Might as well - I already have it, amirite?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:01:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:02:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Chuck the schmuck Schumer had actually had floated the idea of banning body armor and night vision well over a decade ago.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Getting shot sucks. While Red Dawn is not likely, riots, natural disasters and peaceful protests occur with sufficient regularity that having rifle plates seems like a good idea to me. I have plates, a helmet, night vision and five guns I can shoot while wearing nods. I am also a tacticool nerd though.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:03:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
1. Shit happens.

View Quote
Even though he went off the deep end according to some, when FerFal first started posting about Argentina's collapse, he said concealable body armor and concealed firearms were very valuable. You still have to go out to the market and to your job in some cases.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:07:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There are plenty of scenarios where body armor is effective and can save your life or at the very least provide you with a little tactical advantage that just might be the difference between life and death. Op must have never experienced a full fledged "Blackout" where the power in the entire city goes out, thus allowing/encouraging the animals in the human zoos called ghettos to leave their cages to rape, rob, murder, and pillage at will because first responders are too busy to respond. The same kind of things happen in all kinds of emergencies like ice storms, regular storms/tornadoes/earthquakes/hurricanes (think New Orleans)/and/or terrorist attacks that affect a large part of the city. These situations allow you plenty of time to gear up and prepare for marauders raiding neighborhoods looking for easy pickings because the police response will be delayed or non-existent. But, that's your decision. You don't like to have insurance (guns/spare ammo/body armor/gas masks/etc, then don't worry about it. You probably don't have automobile accident insurance, health insurance, or life insurance either.
View Quote
I live in a quite rural area 14 miles from the nearest ghetto, with lots of prime suburbs in between us. Though I do work near a major city. I’ve thought getting stuck in a riot is a possibility, but it seems more likely my $400 plates will get stolen out of my car while I’m at work
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:07:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Get over your fear of what other people (liberals) might think of you. Service men and women do not think that you would be “dressing up like them” if you owned a set of armor and trained in it a few times a year. That’s a projection of your own insecurity about what people who don’t take self defense seriously would think.

Knights back in the day wouldn’t grab their sword and leave their breastplate behind. You need armor because it stops bullets, and you’ve already bought a gun because you want to be prepared for people who shoot bullets.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Shoot house classes
WROL scenario
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Cosplay really enhances the orgasm when you're masturbating furiously about slotting commies.

Plus if this country does balkanize, it will be hard to find a set of plates that aren't blood stained.

That said I'd get a soft concealable armor before I got hard armor.
A Venezuelan scenario is more likely than Bosnia.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Body armor has saved a lot of lives over the years, I can't think of any reason not to have it on some level.
View Quote
How many of those folks paid for theirs?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm basically you, OP. Body armor, just like a whole bunch of stuff we spend lots of money on, is a hedge against unlikely events. I don't see it as an overly expensive hedge.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably more than you think in terms of law enforcement. Lots of LEO buy their own, either because they wanted better than department issue or their department is too poor to issue anything.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#36]
You can't imagine a big storm or other natural or man-made disaster that knocks out power and and services, and puts every man for himself for a few days?

When you're doing looty patrol in your neighborhood, having some body armor on might be very comforting.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Not just you op, but what is with all the apologist, worry what others think bull shit?

If you do or don’t want to be a commando or wanna be, who gives a shit. Do what you want.

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:23:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good post.

OP, ask yourself a question: If you buy body armor now, which do you think is more likely? A) After you're dead, one of your kids will throw the armor in the trash because it's useless crap their weird dad bought for no good reason; or B) Somebody will wear it when it counts one day.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Good post.

OP, ask yourself a question: If you buy body armor now, which do you think is more likely? A) After you're dead, one of your kids will throw the armor in the trash because it's useless crap their weird dad bought for no good reason; or B) Somebody will wear it when it counts one day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good post.

Conversely, you could argue percentages aren't as important as the stakes.

I carry a pistol but live in an area with very little violent crime. Percentage wise, it's just needless weight. However the stakes are very high if I stumble someday into a violent confrontation
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:30:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's why I bought a setup a few years ago. I've got nowhere to train with it though so it's sat unused and now I want to get rid of it. If shit really hit the fan I'd probably better off going out guns a blazin'.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#41]
OP, as others have said armor stops bullets. Bullets are quite common in the U.S. Bullets are used to kill people.

Of course the question comes down to what are the odds someone tries killing you specifically and whether or not the price of armor outweighs the chances of being shot at.

My take on it in terms of non LEO/Mil. use is that it's an insurance policy. It isn't going to go bad sitting in your room. There were over 17,000 murder or non-negligent manslaughter cases in the U.S. in 2017. About 73 percent of those involved a firearm. On a percentage scale that's tiny but look across the world and see what happens during emergencies when police forces are tied up dealing with the broader situation. If something like that happens, wouldn't you wish you spent a couple hundred on something that can protect you from common street threats?

My take is it's a few hundred bucks for something that could potentially save your life or at least save you from extreme bodily harm and it's a one time investment. People spend way more than a few hundred dollars buying fucking scopes or five budget PSA AR-15's or new speakers for their home entertainment system or fancy watches... you get the idea.

In short:

Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:34:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

Hell, if I am going to be interacting with Law Enforcement in any way at all, I’d rather have (concealed) bodyarmor.  Evidently at least one or two LEO consider a middle aged woman in a nightgown worthy of shooting.

That goes triple for the NYPD.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Im having trouble seeing the use case for myself. I don’t work in LE or the armed services, I work a desk job and lead what is ultimately a boring traditional lifestyle (4 young kids, 40 hours a week, 1 vacation a year, etc). I understand the value of a gun if I ever found myself being shot at, I just can’t imagine a scenario where I’d actually use it short of a Red Dawn event, which is impossible. I’m not going to arm up mid home invasion due to time, and I’m not going to run out to my car to grab it and head back into the office to stop a shooting spree as I’d likely just get lumped in with the actual shooter.

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Waste of money, just buy ammo.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:53:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get both?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:55:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Even though he went off the deep end according to some, when FerFal first started posting about Argentina's collapse, he said concealable body armor and concealed firearms were very valuable. You still have to go out to the market and to your job in some cases.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1. Shit happens.

He wasn't wrong about that.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Cola warrior combat class
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:59:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Help a guy that's on the fence.

I'm no wanna be commando, I respect actual commando's too much to dress up like one without having earned it. I'm disciplined with my money, but am not afraid to spend good money where it's worth it.

Im having trouble seeing the use case for myself. I don't work in LE or the armed services, I work a desk job and lead what is ultimately a boring traditional lifestyle (4 young kids, 40 hours a week, 1 vacation a year, etc). I understand the value of armor if I ever found myself being shot at, I just can't imagine a scenario where I'd actually use it short of a Red Dawn event, which is impossible. I'm not going to lace one up mid home invasion due to time, and I'm not going to run out to my car to grab it and head back into the office to stop a shooting spree as I'd likely just get lumped in with the actual shooter.

Help me see how I'm justified spending $400 or more on a decent setup.

Derp.

All the guns and ammo in the world mean fuck all if someone vents your chest.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Heaven forbid you do something simply because you enjoy it, it is fun, and you only live once. If your concern is "posing", then you care too much for what other people think. I'd say there is a significant difference in showing up at an indoor range in full kit to shoot a handgun at 15 feet and actually doing some sort of practical training to push yourself.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top