Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#1]
During the Christmas deals thread, someone on arfcom posted links to ceramic level 4 plats for $100 each.

So I bought them. It was my Christmas present from my wife to me that year...

Then they arrived, and they were heavy, so the next year she bought me III+ lightweights on the same sort of deal...

The III+ lightweights are very light compared to the level 4 ceramics... You will notice that all of the companies level 4s are heavier than any of their III+ lightweight offerings...

If you are ever going to need to use your gun, you will want armor.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#2]
If the situation is bad enough that I'm grabbing a long arm, the chances of bullets coming back in my direction are good.  I'd think that the two things (rifle and body armor) go hand in hand.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Upgrade your home security so you are aware of a home invasion sooner, allowing you a few seconds to put on a plate carrier with an extra mag or two and an IFAK.

Buy armor and work out in it, it'll make you stronk like Polish.

You will likely never ever need a gun, but you bought one didn't you? You bought it because it was the right thing to do to protect your family. The same can be said for armor.

Cops and soldiers wear armor because they encounter bad guys who may shoot at them. Should you not do the same?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#4]
It takes literally two seconds to throw on a plate carrier.  Obviously, you might not have that time during a home invasion, but if you have set up defense in depth you very well may.  Think about whether you would want armor if you felt you might need to defend your life.  It also could be appropriate if you were training with other people.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:11:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Heaven forbid you do something simply because you enjoy it, it is fun, and you only live once. If your concern is "posing", then you care too much for what other people think. I'd say there is a significant difference in showing up at an indoor range in full kit to shoot a handgun at 15 feet and actually doing some sort of practical training to push yourself.
View Quote
This too.

Anyone who spews that bullshit about people who buy armor/tac gear being "posers" without knowing a damn thing about them can shove it the fuck up their ass. No, I don't give a fuck if you were/are Mil./LEO either. Stuff it. That attitude is extremely out of date and fuddy, not to mention most people I see spewing that shit know fuck all about the gear anyway. They're just some guy that happened to get handed some stuff for their job, they're not a gate keeper who gets to pick and choose and what free men do with their time and money.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I must be doing it wrong lol. I have two point blank soft vests, two ar500 steel vests, and one highcom xl sapi ceramic vest.

You know, just in case.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I have lvl4, but not master race lvl4.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#8]
You should wear body armor all day everyday. Make it part of your edc.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#9]
YOU'RE A FREAKING STUD!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I’m tier nothing. Someone posted a link to a contract overrun of plate carriers for a really good price and I bought one. I eventually bought a set of ceramic plates since I had the carrier. I doubt I’ll ever use them but I’m glad I have them.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Upgrade your home security so you are aware of a home invasion sooner, allowing you a few seconds to put on a plate carrier with an extra mag or two and an IFAK.

Buy armor and work out in it, it'll make you stronk like Polish.

You will likely never ever need a gun, but you bought one didn't you? You bought it because it was the right thing to do to protect your family. The same can be said for armor.

Cops and soldiers wear armor because they encounter bad guys who may shoot at them. Should you not do the same?
View Quote
Bit of an aside but armor can be useful in other scenarios other than being shot at.

Vests have saved a few people from nasty road burn during motorcycle crashes and they've also saved a few officers in car crashes, the vest having prevented a penetrating injury to a vital organ. I'd also be wearing a woven aramid vest around large fires or attackers employing fire as a weapon thanks to the heat/flame resistance they offer. If something lights you up you can ditch the armor and it'll take the fire with it.

Most vests regardless of composition will also offer at least some resistance to stabbing attacks and are almost entirely impervious to slashing attacks.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
During the Christmas deals thread, someone on arfcom posted links to ceramic level 4 plats for $100 each.

Then they arrived, and they were heavy, so the next year she bought me III+ lightweights on the same sort of deal...

The III+ lightweights are very light compared to the level 4 ceramics... You will notice that all of the companies level 4s are heavier than any of their III+ lightweight offerings...

View Quote
And also wow, the huge jump in price between weight savings on the same threat level
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Y'all convinced me.

Help a body armor newb pick a good plate carrier to start.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:35:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I wear my soft armor while using my Range Officers Credentials, showing new folks how to shoot.

I wear my ceramic plates and backers while out "On Patrol" in my woods.

Thinking about steel for that, with the rhino lining so my salt won't rust it.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:36:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Y'all convinced me.

View Quote
I’m coming around too
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:38:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Y'all convinced me.

View Quote
Mayflower APC is a good all around one. It's not too fancy.

Grey Ghost Gear minimalist is also good for lower profile.

Those are the two I have.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Armor is required for a number of shoothouse training classes, including ones that cover things like basic home defense.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#18]
It's your funeral pal!

Why do you need a reason to practice freedom?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Y'all convinced me.

View Quote
Quoted:

I'm coming around too
View Quote
The questions that need to be answered before a meaningful answer can be given:

• Budget
  • Use scenario
  • Requirements
"Requirements" means do you need comms/hydration routing, MOLLE/slick/placards, etc. Essentially - what do you need it to do?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:47:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Anyone good deals on level III+ lightweight plates?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:51:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
YOU'RE A FREAKING STUD!!!!!!!!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I’ve upgraded since then
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These are poking pretty good.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:54:24 PM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
OHMY

Got some details on that set up?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:55:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Poking" iPad?

Da fuq is wrong wit chu????
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:10:04 PM EDT
[#25]
OP is convinced.

Now arf experts tell him what to get and the best place to get it and what to avoid.

Cause I get convinced too.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Y'all convinced me.

View Quote
Esstac Daeodon.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

• Budget
  • Use scenario
  • Requirements
"Requirements" means do you need comms/hydration routing, MOLLE/slick/placards, etc. Essentially - what do you need it to do?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Y'all convinced me.

Quoted:

I'm coming around too

• Budget
  • Use scenario
  • Requirements
Budget? Mid level pricing (I'm not sure what that would be)
Scenario? Mostly for carrying mags, carbine class, practice, etc... protection if it's eventually needed of course
Requirements? Hold mags and plates?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#29]
The day to buy armor was yesterday.

Today you should be training.

Tomorrow is coming.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Esstac Daeodon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Y'all convinced me.

Esstac Daeodon.
I'm getting that.

Deciding between 3610s and 3810s. The jump is hefty
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:25:05 PM EDT
[#32]
As a guy who's been in your position for the past 5 years here's how it went down for me.

the price was just too much, honestly it was a thread here a few months back about a website Kotaoutfitters that sucked me in. Got a lbt6094 with ceramic plates for $200 and lid shipping. At that point it was impossible to pass up. It sits in my closet honestly. Just in case. I prefer having it more than not.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The day to buy armor was yesterday.

Today you should be training.

Tomorrow is coming.
View Quote
Don't 13er on our parade.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Another tid bit is I could see them wanting to ban armor down the road
View Quote
There are some videos online on how to make effective multi strike ceramic plates with ceramic tiles and liquid nails.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Im having trouble seeing the use case for myself.
View Quote
you will until the day that you don't.  and on that day, you'll curse yourself for not having the foresight to do something so easy.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
View Quote
Exactly. FUCK, it's not like we are talking thousands of dollars here. Either see the value in it and buy it, or don't. But I would make sure you have all the ammo mags, gear etc. basics covered before you consider armor.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#37]
I’ve got Lvl IV swimmers cut ceramic plates that are cool as fuck in my plate carrier, thus making me operator as shit.

Them being easy to shoulder and shoot a rifle with, maneuver and prone with easily, and not being heavy as fuck as poor people steel plates are an added bonus
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Scenario? Mostly for carrying mags, carbine class, practice, etc... protection if it's eventually needed of course
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Y'all convinced me.

Quoted:

I'm coming around too

• Budget
  • Use scenario
  • Requirements
Prices for carriers varies but is typically ~$100 for a dead simple slick carrier to ~$300 for a more complex carrier with extra features, though some "top tier" manufacturers make carriers that break the $400 or even $500 mark. But there's tons of great stuff in the $250 and below range.

If you want to carry other gear on it that means you'll want a MOLLE or placard carrier which is the majority of carriers on the market, so no issue there. Straight MOLLE vs. placards is kind of a personal preference thing, you'll want to google "plate carrier placards" and go look around to see what I'm talking about, see if that system appeals to you.

If you just want to have some mags and maybe an IFAK on it then I'd recommend a fairly trim carrier such as the Crye JPC 2.0, priced at about $250 new direct from Crye.

On the subject of plates -

Plates can vary in price from ~$160 to $1000+ per plate. Getting upper tier stuff that's lightweight and still stops common CONUS threats generally costs ~$350 to $500 per plate for high end, low profile Special Threat plates but if you're willing to deal with thicker (around 1 inch thickness) plates you can get options in the ~$250 per plate range like the RMA III+ linked above.
Granted part of the reason for the thickness of plates like the RMA plates is they're aiming for NIJ certification. Under NIJ .06 a fairly brutal drop test onto the strike face is required so .06 certified ceramics typically have a foam or honeycomb anti shock layer over the strike face which adds thickness. RMA is aiming for certification under NIJ .07 (upcoming standard, not out yet) so it even has padding around the edges as well. Be aware that most plates with padding at the edges sacrifice in terms of size of the ceramic strike face to make room for the foam, with the reduction in size typically being about a 1/4 inch on each side for total loss of 1/2" of ceramic across the width/length of the plate.

Plates that are non-certified typically don't include padding to cut down on thickness, a common theme with Special Threat plates.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:44:47 PM EDT
[#40]
I say buy it today if only on the premise that you may not be able to buy it some day later.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#41]
For a plate carrier I like the Condor MOPC. It’s cheap and has enough room to carry all of my gear. I figure I’m rarely ever going to wear it, so didn’t want to spend $200-300 on it. I hit up that KotaOutfitters sale last year also, I only paid about $110 for each set of AR-500 plates, I couldn’t see spending 2-3x that much on the carrier.

I have 2 full sets of AR-500 plates and 2 Condor MOPCs, one in black and one in multicam. Only complaint is that the steel plates are way too heavy for any kind of SHTF and walking around scenario.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:47:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

How much time does it take to put a vest or plates on?

Seconds.  Not a lot of them.

If you're going to a gunfight, bring armor.  I keep mine under my bed and in easy reach.  It doesn't even need to be fastened to be effective.  Just drop it over your head and it's working.
View Quote
Exactly!

OP, you are seriously overestimating the amount of time it takes to don or doff a vest. It's about the same as putting on a t-shirt, in my opinion.

As Jaqufrost said, you can literally just drop it over your head and go, but that may be a bit rough if you have to run for any reason. Another good method is to leave everything fastened except one side strap. You just put one arm through, drop it over your head, and then fasten the side strap.

Aside from the utility of body armor, there are plenty of other things you might need in an emergency,  such as spare magazines, a flashlight, a knife, a first aid kit, or even a sidearm. Having all of those already on a vest makes it easy to grab and go.

If you wake up to an emergency in the middle of the night, would it be faster to throw on a pair of pants and grab all of your EDC gear (knife, flashlight, sidearm, spare magazines, etc...), or simply don a vest, grab your rifle, and go? Granted, running around in your boxers while wearing a tactical vest might be quite the spectacle, but it sure beats having to take the time to gather up all your gear.

Just for complete transparency, I've never been in combat and am about as low speed/high drag as one can be. Lack of credentials doesn't negate common sense, though. Having important gear stored together, whether it's a vest, bug-out bag, range bag, or backpack sure makes it a lot easier to grab and go when you're in a hurry.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:48:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Commando? Fuck that.

I can throw my plates on in about 10 seconds with the easy attachment system.

People will go on and on in circles about the best home defense round/rifle/length/dickbutt but can't spent 30 minutes and 500 bucks getting a PC setup that you know prevents from getting hit in vitals and bleeding out.

Most gun fights aren't one way. Even better...someone who thinks a $500 RMR setup is justified for self defense but can't justify a PC at home? why? one gives a much more significant advantage per $ than the other (I own both)
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:49:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Also, just wanted to throw this out there -

I know that plate carriers are the super cool "in" thing but don't discount a good soft armor vest.

Handguns make up the vast majority (75%+) of street threats. Handguns and shotguns make up a large portion (~50% to 70% depending on source, debatable) of all firearms owned in the U.S. and a soft armor vest stops both. Plates offer limited coverage and are entirely inflexible. A soft armor vest will offer more coverage, be thinner (generally), and offer protection from a wide range of threats. Pricing for lower end but still decent stuff is typically ~$300 to $400 for a vest so it's not like they're a cost prohibitive option.

There are also soft armor/plate carrier combination systems. Another option is adding soft cummerbund armor to a plate carrier, giving you side protection from handguns/frag. Granted you lose out on having a vented or super light cummerbund but everything is compromise, just depends on what you need.

Just something to think about.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:54:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
For a plate carrier I like the Condor MOPC. It's cheap and has enough room to carry all of my gear. I figure I'm rarely ever going to wear it, so didn't want to spend $200-300 on it. I hit up that KotaOutfitters sale last year also, I only paid about $110 for each set of AR-500 plates, I couldn't see spending 2-3x that much on the carrier.

I have 2 full sets of AR-500 plates and 2 Condor MOPCs, one in black and one in multicam. Only complaint is that the steel plates are way too heavy for any kind of SHTF and walking around scenario.
View Quote
Dude no.

Anyone who's even halfway serious shouldn't be touching Condor, especially not for the platform itself. People have had drag handles pull out when used the way they're supposed to, stitching come undone, materials are cheap, etc. The construction is really garbage, they cut corners everywhere.

See this article - What is Quality?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If you just want to have some mags and maybe an IFAK on it then I'd recommend a fairly trim carrier such as the Crye JPC 2.0, priced at about $250 new direct from Crye.
View Quote
Simple is best. I run three single-mag carriers, an IFAK, a GP pouch, and a day pack on the back. Anything more ruins the purpose of a relatively light and maneuverable set-up and makes it stupid heavy. A friend of mine had a carrier with steel plates and 6 or 8 loaded magazines, loaded as fuck IFAK, camelback, and whatever else he fancied. I think it was close to 40 pounds, which is absolutely fucking stupid.

Go simple, go light, be happy. Invest in a quality carrier, too, it sucks when stuff isn’t completely secure and jostles around when you run.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#47]
I just can’t imagine a scenario where I’d actually use it short of a Red Dawn event, which is impossible. I’m not going to lace one up mid home invasion due to time, and I’m not going to run out to my car to grab it and head back into the office to stop a shooting spree as I’d likely just get lumped in with the actual shooter.
View Quote
I don't have it myself, but at this point we are in a cold civil war, and such things tend to get hot around the fringes even if it doesn't go to a full on hot war.

So I can see why it would be a good idea to have it. Right now I have a chest rig but no armor. I'd probably opt for night vision before armor, because I think that would be more useful.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:58:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are the level III+ plates or a soft vest? I'm inclined towards a soft vest since that seems to provide more coverage and I think handguns calibers and shotguns are the most likely threat.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#49]
It certainly depends on what you feel is "minimum" for your needs/wants.

I don't feel a need for tier 1 gear. I'm an old fart and not getting sent to Iraq or 'Stan.

So I bought a very basic setup. Condor Sentry plate carrier, about 45 bucks on ebay/amazon. A pair of AR500 grade steel plates can be bought for 85-90 bucks, also ebay.

For my wants/needs this is good enough and I didn't spend 400 dollars either. A little heavy, but so what?

YMMV
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:01:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Isn't body armor illegal to WEAR in Ohio??
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top