Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/9/2020 2:31:13 AM EDT
I know, flubro, doomer, yeah.  Bear with me.

My state's department of health says that in a normal year, we lose roughly 1200 to "influenza or pneumonia".  Digging deeper into sources, I found that the breakdown is about 350 to the flu itself, and another 850 to "chronic lower respiratory diseases".   According to the chart from the department of health, the number dying from "influenza or pneumonia" would go from about 1200 to about 1800 under conditions considered "epidemic".  Furthermore, if flu-caused deaths track flu-caused hospitalizations, their charts show that virtually all of them happen from late January to late March.  So most of those 350 deaths from the flu itself would have happened during that time period.  They also published that this flu season, we've hospitalized 1147 people for the flu.

OK, so what's happening with COVID 19?   We've hospitalized 158, and had 13 deaths.   13.7% of the hospitalizations compared to the flu, 3.7% of the deaths.   Now, that will surely grow, as we're still going to get more hospitalizations and deaths.  But how many more?

Early projections were that we'd get 500 COVID deaths.  Even if each and every one of those were over and above normal flu and pneumonia (which they surely aren't), that would barely bring us up to an "epidemic" year.  However, they recently revised their projections and said we could expect just under 200 cases.  Today, they revised sickness/hospitalization projections even lower, and decided to stop even saying how many deaths there would be.

So, summary:  We're likely to get only a small fraction of COVID deaths compared to flu deaths, and a VERY small fraction compared to "flu and pneumonia" deaths.  Such a small fraction, in fact, that we won't even rise to "epidemic" levels. (which we DID in the flu season of 2018.)

If I'm looking at this data wrong... please tell me.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:32:18 AM EDT
[#1]
#flubro4lyfe
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:32:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:36:14 AM EDT
[#3]
So your state is early in infections and potentially has already established social distancing rules before the virus became and issue...

Did you actually look for data? By only choosing your own state you are cherry picking your data set. Well, no one in my home has gotten it so thus the whole thing is overblown. Extrapolate much?

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:40:13 AM EDT
[#4]
https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/
https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

Please leave the math to the people who understand it. Your napkin math is always going to be shit compared to the hundreds if not thousands of people working on simulations for covid that are advising policy makers. Above is a better place to start. Even with extreme social distancing measures its projected we'll have 60k deaths at a minimum. Without those measures it'd be far far worse. Humans such at understanding exponential math.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:40:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Keep in mind that the corona deaths you're seeing are after all the shutdown, social distancing, etc policies have been put in place. I've seen quite a few people here thinking along the lines of "we implemented a bunch of new policies, the deaths aren't as bad as original projections, so why did we implement the policies?" which is just such a silly train of thought.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:43:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep in mind that the corona deaths you're seeing are after all the shutdown, social distancing, etc policies have been put in place. I've seen quite a few people here thinking along the lines of "we implemented a bunch of new policies, the deaths aren't as bad as original projections, so why did we implement the policies?" which is just such a silly train of thought.
View Quote

Yup, WA state would be more like NY state if policies were not put into place or if people stopped following them.

Its like saying "oh, we repaired this failing bridge to keep it from falling down and it hasn't fallen down since we repaired it, maybe we shouldn't have bothered to repair it at all".
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:45:54 AM EDT
[#7]
The whole world owes you. You. You did it. You figured it out. Countless smart people around the world doing research around the clock, formulating models and running simulations, fuck that. They are all wrong. You have it figured out. Your 16 minutes searching google is the break through everyone needed. I for one am relieved. Thank you for your service.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:50:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The whole world owes you. You. You did it. You figured it out. Countless smart people around the world doing research around the clock, formulating models and running simulations, fuck that. They are all wrong. You have it figured out. Your 16 minutes searching google is the break through everyone needed. I for one am relieved. Thank you for your service.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/The_Rock_Applause-169.gif
View Quote

Yea, what Chuck said!!

What is up, Chuck?
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:51:14 AM EDT
[#9]
The fact alone that we dont have a subforum for it, shows just how much we are underestimating this 2019ncovid19sars pandemic
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:51:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yea, what Chuck said!!

What is up, Chuck?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, what Chuck said!!

What is up, Chuck?

Who?
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:52:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Please leave the math to the people who understand it. Your napkin math is always going to be shit compared to the hundreds if not thousands of people working on simulations for covid that are advising policy makers. Above is a better place to start. Even with extreme social distancing measures its projected we'll have 60k deaths at a minimum. Without those measures it'd be far far worse. Humans such at understanding exponential math.
View Quote

You mean the 'expert' projections that have all repeatedly proven to be BS?

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:52:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
#flubro4lyfe
View Quote

You're immune hanging around with those Asian chicks.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:52:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Please leave the math to the people who understand it. Your napkin math is always going to be shit compared to the hundreds if not thousands of people working on simulations for covid that are advising policy makers. Above is a better place to start
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Please leave the math to the people who understand it. Your napkin math is always going to be shit compared to the hundreds if not thousands of people working on simulations for covid that are advising policy makers. Above is a better place to start

Are those the "government" numbers?  You know, the ones we've been told include anyone who died WITH covid, as opposed TO covid?

Also, at least one of those sources (https://covid19.healthdata.org) has been wrong time and again, and has had to lower their projections SUBSTANTIALLY.  Also, they aren't adjusting models for individual conditions, which is why models and projections done locally with ACTUAL data from my state show an even lower projection than the "new, lower projections" that that site does.   Seriously, please don't mention that site and pretend it's good data.

Quoted:
The whole world owes you. You. You did it. You figured it out. Countless smart people around the world doing research around the clock, formulating models and running simulations, fuck that. They are all wrong. You have it figured out.

Hey, I can't take the credit for it, it wouldn't be fair.  The people doing the projections figured that out themselves, which is why they've lowered their projected mortality time and again.  Remember when mortality was supposed to be 12%?   9%?  6%?  3%?  1%?  0.9%?  Remember when R0 was supposed to be 3x higher than the flu?  Then 2x higher?  Then maybe only 1.5x higher?  Pepperidge farms remembers.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:53:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Again, you mean the 'expert' models and simulations that have all repeatedly proven to be BS?

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:53:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

The projections always assumed strict social distancing and were still wrong
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:54:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
#flubro4lyfe

Probably.

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:54:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Again, you mean the 'expert' models and simulations that have all repeatedly proven to be BS?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:56:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Attachment Attached File

ETA - oops. Wrong thread.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:56:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

No that makes no sense.

The social distancing and shutdowns had nothing to do with the readjustment of the curves. This whole thing is totally overblown and the outcome would have been the same.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:59:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol I don't think you understood what projection or estimate means.

They may not pan out, but it its probably because new information or something changes. Example being that most projections were stated with the caveat that no social distancing would occur. You don't seem to get that, I'll pay you back with
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:00:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:00:42 AM EDT
[#22]
They have lowered the projections by 90% since the initial data used to put us on lockdown. Looks like staying home worked!  Mission accomplished.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:01:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They may not pan out, but it its probably because new information or something changes. Example being that most projections were stated with the caveat that no social distancing would occur. You don't seem to get that, I'll pay you back with
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s false. The most often cited projections were always based on strict social distancing.

Even Doomer Tucker Carlson admitted that tonight.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:01:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They have lowered the projections by 90% since the initial data used to put us on lockdown. Looks like staying home worked!  Mission accomplished.
View Quote

The projections alway presumed strict social distancing
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:02:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Surprised this site doesn't give out more epidemiologist badges.
We have thousands.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:02:27 AM EDT
[#26]

Sorry your virus lost.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:02:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Follow the money. Hospitals being encouraged to claim Covid 19 deaths should be some indication....
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:02:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

And almost nobody actually follows that shit, people are partying.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:03:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

This guy fucks.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:03:50 AM EDT
[#30]
(deleted)
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:03:52 AM EDT
[#31]

You posted a tabloid article....

Does this mean the article on the front page of the globe that says that Tom cruise is really an alien is true!? I had no idea that tabloids were so credible. You must get your financial news from zero hedge lol. I swear if arfcom figured out what an editorial was the world would be a better place.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:06:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So is this the science i hear about? Non-falsifiable ideas?
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:06:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't fall for the panicky media cherry picking the upper end of the worst case models as representative of all models. The assumptions and corresponding results of models like these never lend themselves well to short headlines (or even complete news articles) but that's how they're always presented.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:08:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
(deleted)
View Quote

Early projections are always going to have a huge error. Fuck the projections, the data we have now still says the response is and was justified. The projections, even if wrong, lead to the right calls being made. Just because the projections were off doesn't make the disease any less of a threat. This shit also isn't even over yet.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:10:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Early projections are always going to have a huge error. Fuck the projections, the data we have now still says the response is and was justified. The projections, even if wrong, lead to the right calls being made. Just because the projections were off doesn't make the disease any less of a threat. This shit also isn't even over yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
(deleted)

Sorry your virus lost
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:10:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe in crowded urban leftist shitholes, but not from what I've personally been seeing so far.

Just people canceling unnecessary social gatherings, not traveling, staying away from each other, working from home if possible, and overall just handling it like reasonable adults accepting that this is a moderate temporary disruption to their lives that will blow over soon.

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:11:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Sorry your virus lost
View Quote

science man bad
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:11:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You posted a tabloid article....

Does this mean the article on the front page of the globe that says that Tom cruise is really an alien is true!? I had no idea that tabloids were so credible. You must get your financial news from zero hedge lol. I swear if arfcom figured out what an editorial was the world would be a better place.
View Quote

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4192182/World-leaders-duped-manipulated-global-warming-data.html
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:13:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Anecdotes are neat. Everyone avoids us like the plague around here. People will cross the street a half a block ahead of us to not walk by us.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:15:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Maybe in crowded urban leftist shitholes, but not from what I've personally been seeing so far.

Just people canceling unnecessary social gatherings, not traveling, staying away from each other, working from home if possible, and overall just handling it like reasonable adults accepting that this is a moderate temporary disruption to their lives that will blow over soon.

View Quote
Yea. Some 6-7 million people out of a job is way beyond that...
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:15:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
(deleted)

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:16:14 AM EDT
[#42]
You’re right. This thing has been greatly exaggerated to push an agenda of fear and hurt the economy. Hearing more and more stories of death number fuckery. Such as any death with positive results for covid19 are asserting covid19 as causal. Mostly anecdotal for now but I fully expect deaths for other disease will show drastic underreporting across the board to inflate C19.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:17:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:18:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Sorry your virus lost
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
(deleted)

Sorry your virus lost

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:20:10 AM EDT
[#45]
The projections from the leading models keep lowering by the day. Doomers are currently yelling at clouds and pulling their hair out. This is certainly the biggest overblown event we will see in our lifetime.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:21:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The projections from the leading models keep lowering by the day. Doomers are currently yelling at clouds and pulling their hair out. This is certainly the biggest overblown event we will see in our lifetime.
View Quote

History will look back on this as an example of mass hysteria
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:21:56 AM EDT
[#47]

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. You should actually take the time to read the first few paragraphs of that link.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:22:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:22:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Early projections are always going to have a huge error. Fuck the projections, the data we have now still says the response is and was justified.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Early projections are always going to have a huge error. Fuck the projections, the data we have now still says the response is and was justified.

But that wasn't what you were talking about.   You told me to leave it to the people doing the predictions and trust their data... but when it's pointed out that their predictions have been wrong, their revisions have been wrong, and their revisions have been wrong, you say "early projections are always going to have a huge error".   Which is it... do I trust them, or are they going to have a huge error?

Just because the projections were off doesn't make the disease any less of a threat.

I'd say that it's the very definition of "less of a threat" than we thought it was going to be.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:22:48 AM EDT
[#50]
I got furloughed yesterday and we have a 4 month old boy. The economic impact is hardly overblown.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top