Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:23:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the biggest indicator will be antibody testing.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:24:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are those the "government" numbers?  You know, the ones we've been told include anyone who died WITH covid, as opposed TO covid?

Also, at least one of those sources (https://covid19.healthdata.org) has been wrong time and again, and has had to lower their projections SUBSTANTIALLY.  Also, they aren't adjusting models for individual conditions, which is why models and projections done locally with ACTUAL data from my state show an even lower projection than the "new, lower projections" that that site does.   Seriously, please don't mention that site and pretend it's good data.

Hey, I can't take the credit for it, it wouldn't be fair.  The people doing the projections figured that out themselves, which is why they've lowered their projected mortality time and again.  Remember when mortality was supposed to be 12%?   9%?  6%?  3%?  1%?  0.9%?  Remember when R0 was supposed to be 3x higher than the flu?  Then 2x higher?  Then maybe only 1.5x higher?  Pepperidge farms remembers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/
https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

Please leave the math to the people who understand it. Your napkin math is always going to be shit compared to the hundreds if not thousands of people working on simulations for covid that are advising policy makers. Above is a better place to start

Are those the "government" numbers?  You know, the ones we've been told include anyone who died WITH covid, as opposed TO covid?

Also, at least one of those sources (https://covid19.healthdata.org) has been wrong time and again, and has had to lower their projections SUBSTANTIALLY.  Also, they aren't adjusting models for individual conditions, which is why models and projections done locally with ACTUAL data from my state show an even lower projection than the "new, lower projections" that that site does.   Seriously, please don't mention that site and pretend it's good data.

Quoted:
The whole world owes you. You. You did it. You figured it out. Countless smart people around the world doing research around the clock, formulating models and running simulations, fuck that. They are all wrong. You have it figured out.

Hey, I can't take the credit for it, it wouldn't be fair.  The people doing the projections figured that out themselves, which is why they've lowered their projected mortality time and again.  Remember when mortality was supposed to be 12%?   9%?  6%?  3%?  1%?  0.9%?  Remember when R0 was supposed to be 3x higher than the flu?  Then 2x higher?  Then maybe only 1.5x higher?  Pepperidge farms remembers.

Go look at the numbers outside China, and ignore the idiocy of the Imperial data, which is based on Chinese bullshit.

Best estimates now are putting the r0 just under 6 (3x the flu). And look at global figures for deaths versus recovered cases. Then look at fatalities rates for Europe.

It will not stop until it has infected the majority of the population. Keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:26:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Nate Silver is fun to meme on but he also actually ended up being correct.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:29:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I got furloughed yesterday and we have a 4 month old boy. The economic impact is hardly overblown.
View Quote

The economic impact is ENORMOUS. And tragically unnecessary.

The virus itself is a bitch-ass little flu wanna-be.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:32:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Once this is all over, it will be the most studied disease in modern times. At that time we’ll know for sure if everything was overblown or not, until then, stay home and stay away from people.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:33:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

But that wasn't what you were talking about.   You told me to leave it to the people doing the predictions and trust their data... but when it's pointed out that their predictions have been wrong, their revisions have been wrong, and their revisions have been wrong, you say "early projections are always going to have a huge error".   Which is it... do I trust them, or are they going to have a huge error?

I'd say that it's the very definition of "less of a threat" than we thought it was going to be.
View Quote

My point was that shitting on projections doesn't matter because it doesn't solve any problems. You want a gold metal for saying that the millions of deaths that certain people were projecting is high in hindsight? Great, here's your gold star. It doesn't change the fact that the shutdown was still the right call. It doesn't change the fact that the virus is still a problem. No one gets big dick points for being the I told you so guy.

I still hold that you should trust the experts, more data means better projections. Your data is limited and basically useless. If you're right its only due to luck rather than any statistical model or scientific method.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:34:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

History will look back on this as an example of mass hysteria
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The projections from the leading models keep lowering by the day. Doomers are currently yelling at clouds and pulling their hair out. This is certainly the biggest overblown event we will see in our lifetime.

Yep.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:35:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My point was that shitting on projections doesn't matter because it doesn't solve any problems. You want a gold metal for saying that the millions of deaths that certain people were projecting is high in hindsight? Great, here's your gold star. It doesn't change the fact that the shutdown was still the right call. It doesn't change the fact that the virus is still a problem. No one gets big dick points for being the I told you so guy.

I still hold that you should trust the experts, more data means better projections. Your data is limited and basically useless. If you're right its only due to luck rather than any statistical model or scientific method.
View Quote
What do you think of climate change experts?
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:36:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I got furloughed yesterday and we have a 4 month old boy. The economic impact is hardly overblown.
View Quote

The economic impact will be huge. Sorry to hear.

Supposedly the measure will be a net positive in the long run. Supposedly anyway since it is super early in this whole economic cycle. That doesn't help you though - I wish you luck
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:44:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Are the experts that everyone is basing just how bad this is the same ones since the 60s that have been screaming about global warming? Um,I mean climate change? Asking for a friend.

My disclaimer: Any virus that can take human life should be taken seriously. How serious is obviously up to interpretation.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:57:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Once this is all over, it will be the most studied disease in modern times. At that time we’ll know for sure if everything was overblown or not, until then, stay home and stay away from people.
View Quote

Let's destroy the economy and society just in case.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:59:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

All those that died with "presumed" covid - as in they didn't bother testing, but they could have been exposed to covid, so we're going to put covid on the death certificate as the primary cause anyway.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 4:16:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The projections from the leading models keep lowering by the day. Doomers are currently yelling at clouds and pulling their hair out. This is certainly the biggest overblown event we will see in our lifetime.

Kind of like when commoners thought the world would end if a train went faster than 14 mph (or whatever it was).
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 4:23:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

You’d have a point, if what you were saying at all reflected reality.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0282_article

“we calculated a median R0 value of 5.7”

The flu is 1.3.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 4:51:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 4:56:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 6:01:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But that wasn't what you were talking about.   You told me to leave it to the people doing the predictions and trust their data... but when it's pointed out that their predictions have been wrong, their revisions have been wrong, and their revisions have been wrong, you say "early projections are always going to have a huge error".   Which is it... do I trust them, or are they going to have a huge error?

I'd say that it's the very definition of "less of a threat" than we thought it was going to be.

You keep moving the goalposts. You told me to trust those sources, then admitted they were inaccurate.

My data is up to the day, and relevant locally to me.  Your sources aren't.

If I'm looking at the data wrong, by all means, tell me.  But don't hide behind calling my math shit, then offering up shit sources.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 6:04:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It will not stop until it has infected the majority of the population. Keep that in mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's another topic worthy of discussion.... This will likely keep coming back seasonally.  Unless the a vaccine for it, nearly everyone will get it sooner or later.

If there's no vaccine, it comes around again in November, and they talk about putting this country on lockdown again for another 4-6 months.... That's going to be a wild ride.

Quoted:

Go look at the numbers outside China, and ignore the idiocy of the Imperial data, which is based on Chinese bullshit.

Best estimates now are putting the r0 just under 6 (3x the flu). And look at global figures for deaths versus recovered cases. Then look at fatalities rates for Europe.

The high numbers I'm seeing (5-6) are the ones from China... Or at least the CDC studyies on China's numbers.  WHO said 2.5-3.  imperial college says 1.5-3.5.  obviously situationally dependent, a high density craphole will have a higher r0 than low density.... But the "outside China r0" seems to be in the ballpark with the flu.

As to worldwide wide death rates.... You'd need worldwide death rates from flu and pneumonia to compare.  Differences in age, environment, culture, density, health care... Germany, France, Italy, Japan, all VERY different situations.  I'm trying to only go on places where I have concrete historical data.  

But, still, I'm not necessarily arguing that I'm right... I'm happy to hear how I could be looking at the data wrong.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 6:43:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

???
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 6:45:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Jfc just stop op
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 6:48:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Do we lose this many officers to the flu every year?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 6:51:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Keep in mind that the corona deaths you're seeing are after all the shutdown, social distancing, etc policies have been put in place. I've seen quite a few people here thinking along the lines of "we implemented a bunch of new policies, the deaths aren't as bad as original projections, so why did we implement the policies?" which is just such a silly train of thought.
View Quote

This is going to be the permanent battle cry of the doomers.   Get used to it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:00:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Please leave the math to the people who understand it. Your napkin math is always going to be shit compared to the hundreds if not thousands of people working on simulations for covid that are advising policy makers. Above is a better place to start. Even with extreme social distancing measures its projected we'll have 60k deaths at a minimum. Without those measures it'd be far far worse. Humans such at understanding exponential math.
View Quote

just like in the movie,,guberment has "top menz" working on it,,,,,
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:02:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Surprised this site doesn't give out more epidemiologist badges.
We have thousands.
View Quote

u git one just for spelling that right,,,
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:13:26 AM EDT
[#25]
All I know is that we had 2 cases in Florida a month ago, 192 three weeks ago, and 5,461 15,698 as of today.

That's a steep really steep curve.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:14:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:20:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

CFR was estimated to be 10x that of flu in the beginning so maybe 1%. That was a worse case scenario. R0 was estimated to be 2.2 from the beginning. So basically the numbers in your post are all made up.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:24:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
All I know is that we had 2 cases in Florida a month ago, 192 three weeks ago, and 5,461 as of today.

That's a steep curve.
View Quote

So?

The survival rate with the virus is still almost 100%.

You realize flu infects 40+ million per year, right?

You can’t stop a virus from doing its thing.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:24:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Lol I don't think you understood what projection or estimate means.

They may not pan out, but it its probably because new information or something changes. Example being that most projections were stated with the caveat that no social distancing would occur. You don't seem to get that, I'll pay you back with
View Quote

If people saw others dropping like flies around them, "social distancing" would have naturally occurred from fear.  If smart people don't take that into account in their "projections" that's not too smart of them.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:25:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

All those that died with "presumed" covid - as in they didn't bother testing, but they could have been exposed to covid, so we're going to put covid on the death certificate as the primary cause anyway.
View Quote

That’s not how that  works at all.

It’s about symptoms and presentation.

Also, the way they are classifying deaths “with covid” as covid deaths is exactly what they do for the flu. Your chronic conditions are exacerbated by a an acute infectious process, which leads to death. Your heart stops working properly because there’s not enough oxygen, you don’t have enough oxygen because the gas exchange in your lungs is impaired thanks to covid.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:26:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yea. Some 6-7 million people out of a job is way beyond that...
View Quote

Muh job is more important than my 70 year old neighbors life!!
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:30:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Flubros are hilarious.

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:30:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They may not pan out, but it its probably because new information or something changes. Example being that most projections were stated with the caveat that no social distancing would occur. You don't seem to get that, I'll pay you back with
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean the 'expert' projections that have all repeatedly proven to be BS?

I know what a projection is. I also know why projections showing steep exponential curves that mirror the availability of tests when you’re only testing people showing severe symptoms aren’t a great way to estimate the actual infection rate.

Covid is a serious problem that is definitely worse from the flu, but we are making decisions on shitty data.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:31:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Please leave the math to the people who understand it. Your napkin math is always going to be shit compared to the hundreds if not thousands of people working on simulations for covid that are advising policy makers. Above is a better place to start. Even with extreme social distancing measures its projected we'll have 60k deaths at a minimum. Without those measures it'd be far far worse. Humans such at understanding exponential math.
View Quote

Get the fuck out with your models. They are no better than polling data. To easy to get whatever you want out of them.
And quit being such a doomed.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:32:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Lol
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:33:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep in mind that the corona deaths you're seeing are after all the shutdown, social distancing, etc policies have been put in place. I've seen quite a few people here thinking along the lines of "we implemented a bunch of new policies, the deaths aren't as bad as original projections, so why did we implement the policies?" which is just such a silly train of thought.

Yup, called it a couple weeks ago...get ready to read a bunch of backpedaling and goalpost moving from the doomers. They're so fucking retarded now they don't trust the models they were using as gospel just a week ago. The big doomer thread is a fucking hoot.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:33:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The whole world owes you. You. You did it. You figured it out. Countless smart people around the world doing research around the clock, formulating models and running simulations, fuck that. They are all wrong. You have it figured out. Your 16 minutes searching google is the break through everyone needed. I for one am relieved. Thank you for your service.

Attachment Attached File
View Quote

I'm with this^ guy...

...the government is wise. The government knows what is best
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:34:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
All I know is that we had 2 cases in Florida a month ago, 192 three weeks ago, and 5,461 as of today.

That's a steep curve.
View Quote

KNOWN cases that tested positive. For all you know half the state has had it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:34:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

So?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a steep curve.

So?

The flu argument is so lame.
This is a novel virus.  No action means many multiples of the number you quoted.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:34:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Sorry your virus lost
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
(deleted)

Early projections are always going to have a huge error. Fuck the projections, the data we have now still says the response is and was justified. The projections, even if wrong, lead to the right calls being made. Just because the projections were off doesn't make the disease any less of a threat. This shit also isn't even over yet.

Sorry your virus lost

Don't be too harsh. He's really upset about it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:35:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So your state is early in infections and potentially has already established social distancing rules before the virus became and issue...

Did you actually look for data? By only choosing your own state you are cherry picking your data set. Well, no one in my home has gotten it so thus the whole thing is overblown. Extrapolate much?

View Quote
He lives in his state. What the fuck does another state have to do with it? He noted the source of his data.

Move goal posts much
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:35:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Attachment Attached File

ETA - oops. Wrong thread.
View Quote

lol...

...FBHO
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:35:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That's a steep curve.
View Quote

Serious question, since not everyone in any state has been tested, what if the actual number of citizens nationwide with the virus is in the tens of millions?   Does the numbers in the hospital still validate the reaction?
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:37:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yea. Some 6-7 million people out of a job is way beyond that...

What is the issue with the elderly taking preventative measures to protect themselves while I still manage to provide for my family? I'm sorry but I'm not losing my families livelihood and my children's futures for the elderly, I'm just not.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:37:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

zwitter is correct
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:37:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That's false. The most often cited projections were always based on strict social distancing.

Even Doomer Tucker Carlson admitted that tonight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean the 'expert' projections that have all repeatedly proven to be BS?

That's false. The most often cited projections were always based on strict social distancing.

Even Doomer Tucker Carlson admitted that tonight.

Wait, what?! Tucker is a doomer?! FFS, now I gotta watch something else during the 5 o'clock hour ...
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:41:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
The IHME numbers that everyone used ( and were far overblown) ALWAYS  took into consideration  "social distancing" (another fucking made up term that reminds me of social justice)
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:43:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Your 70 year old neighbor can stay home if they'd like regardless.

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:45:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That's a steep curve.
View Quote

You had more than 2 cases a month ago. I’d wager thousands. You 2 people with a bad response to this virus that got tested.then testing ramped up.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:45:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

DGAF. People are dying.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top