BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:47:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The whole world owes you. You. You did it. You figured it out. Countless smart people around the world doing research around the clock, formulating models and running simulations, fuck that. They are all wrong. You have it figured out. Your 16 minutes searching google is the break through everyone needed. I for one am relieved. Thank you for your service.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/The_Rock_Applause-169.gif
View Quote

Savage
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:47:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

What is the issue with the elderly taking preventative measures to protect themselves while I still manage to provide for my family? I'm sorry but I'm not losing my families livelihood and my children's futures for the elderly, I'm just not.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yea. Some 6-7 million people out of a job is way beyond that...

Muh job is more important than my 70 year old neighbors life!!

What is the issue with the elderly taking preventative measures to protect themselves while I still manage to provide for my family? I'm sorry but I'm not losing my families livelihood and my children's futures for the elderly, I'm just not.
That guy is firmly in the "if it saves just one life" camp, for a lot of things.

Govt regulations > personal choice
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:49:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

DGAF. People are dying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got furloughed yesterday and we have a 4 month old boy. The economic impact is hardly overblown.

DGAF. People are dying.
People die every day if you haven't noticed. We should just mandate everyone stay at home all the time and don't do anything! Think of all the people we'd save!!
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:50:14 AM EDT
[#4]
https://www.usnews.com/opinion/economic-intelligence/2015/10/23/the-great-recession-would-have-been-much-worse-without-stimulus-tarp

If this is your argument - it would have been worse - then you have no argument as it is not falsifiable and as such not scientific. It is an article of faith.

We can track numbers. Doctors all over Europe have been questioning the actual danger of the virus, especially as the virus is either flat or on the decline in Europe and excess mortality is down. Doctors here and there have been warning that the numbers are being inflated, likely to justify their actions, and after being brushed aside as a crazy conspiracy theory it turns out the CDC confirmed in print and Dr. Birx confirmed verbally exactly that.

Those who suggest it is due to the draconian shutdowns might also realize that there are measures to track the efforts of "social distancing" and it turns out that people really haven't been doing that at all. It turns out that respiratory illness will spread based on population density and that maybe it was never necessary in less dense areas and completely ineffective in more dense areas. Lots of smart people were questioning this from the beginning but nobody listened if it didn't match the hysteria.

Oh, and finally, the models always assumed strict social distancing. They've been reduced by 60% to 90%. Based on...what? The social distancing we're not really doing? The staying home we're not really doing?

Smoke and mirrors.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:50:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

DGAF. People are dying.
View Quote

You really are a fearful person and that's why you wish to control everything.  Control is an illusion.

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:52:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Look on the bright side.  ChiCom Flu has cured pneumonia and heart disease.

Also, the ChiCom Flu has taken out more carriers than the Japanese did at Pearl Harbor.

This is a brush back pitch from Xi.  "See what we can do to you if we want.  We can shut down your entire effin' country.  Now, give us Taiwan and let us have the South China Sea."
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:52:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The economic impact is ENORMOUS. And tragically unnecessary.

The virus itself is a bitch-ass little flu wanna-be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got furloughed yesterday and we have a 4 month old boy. The economic impact is hardly overblown.

The economic impact is ENORMOUS. And tragically unnecessary.

The virus itself is a bitch-ass little flu wanna-be.

Yup, absolutely sucks that folks have been adversely impacted as a result of the economy being forcibly shut down. Really does. That doesn’t mean that the decision to shut down the economy was righteous or justified...
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:53:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You really are a fearful person and that's why you wish to control everything.  Control is an illusion.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DGAF. People are dying.

I don't know how he can even handle owning a gun.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:54:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What do you think of climate change experts?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My point was that shitting on projections doesn't matter because it doesn't solve any problems. You want a gold metal for saying that the millions of deaths that certain people were projecting is high in hindsight? Great, here's your gold star. It doesn't change the fact that the shutdown was still the right call. It doesn't change the fact that the virus is still a problem. No one gets big dick points for being the I told you so guy.

I still hold that you should trust the experts, more data means better projections. Your data is limited and basically useless. If you're right its only due to luck rather than any statistical model or scientific method.
What do you think of climate change experts?

There was a headline posted on the first page of this thread that was about that very topic. How neat is that?! ??...
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:58:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

DGAF. People are dying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DGAF. People are dying.

lol...
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:00:59 AM EDT
[#11]
After reading how they guesstimate flu deaths, I think death by flu is the number that's overblown. I just turned 50 and I can't remember anyone I know being put on a vent tube for flu or dying from flu. I've heard of it happening but never actually knew anyone it happened to. I can't say the same about Covid and it's not widespread in my area yet.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:04:56 AM EDT
[#13]
... for the most part, we were hoodwinked
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:11:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Absolutely.  All part of the plan.

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:18:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
All I know is that we had 2 cases in Florida a month ago, 192 three weeks ago, and 5,461 as of today.

That's a steep curve.
View Quote

Those numbers are due to increased testing, not new infections.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:20:58 AM EDT
[#16]
How can we reply when we don't know the location you speak of?
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:23:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yup, WA state would be more like NY state if policies were not put into place or if people stopped following them.

Its like saying "oh, we repaired this failing bridge to keep it from falling down and it hasn't fallen down since we repaired it, maybe we shouldn't have bothered to repair it at all".
View Quote

Hmm. Everywhere I go in Washington I see crowds of people lined up at stores fighting over buttwipe and water bottles. All the fast food joints and coffee stands have long lines of people handing the little chicky at the window their dirty contaminated money while she hands em their bags full of heart desease. So much for social distancing.
From what I understand, most people that get this show little or no symptoms. how many people have actually been infected? Give me an accurate number.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:31:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Maybe in crowded urban leftist shitholes, but not from what I've personally been seeing so far.

Just people canceling unnecessary social gatherings, not traveling, staying away from each other, working from home if possible, and overall just handling it like reasonable adults accepting that this is a moderate temporary disruption to their lives that will blow over soon.

View Quote

Moderate? Are you fucking insane. The financial impact of this shutdown is staggering. It's killing businesses people spent their lives building. Wiping out savings and driving up debt like never before.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:32:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Anecdotes are neat. Everyone avoids us like the plague around here. People will cross the street a half a block ahead of us to not walk by us.
View Quote

Maybe it's just you...
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:32:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

History will look back on this as an example of mass hysteria
View Quote

The worst part about it may be if there is a real deadly pandemic (i.e. something that kills far more than 1% of infected) People aren't going to take it as seriously.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:38:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Go look at the numbers outside China, and ignore the idiocy of the Imperial data, which is based on Chinese bullshit.

Best estimates now are putting the r0 just under 6 (3x the flu). And look at global figures for deaths versus recovered cases. Then look at fatalities rates for Europe.

It will not stop until it has infected the majority of the population. Keep that in mind.
View Quote

The estimate that guessed an R0 of 5.7 was based on the ficticous Chinese data. Most other guesses are in the 2-2.5 range. It's probably even less than that given how wrong the models have been, likely because the asymptomatic cases are much larger than first thought, and clear the infection sooner and thus have a much lower R0 value.

Back-computing Swedish data seems to suggest an R0 of ~1.5. Natural R0 is probably higher in NYC for obvious reasons (5 million people live and/or work on Manhattan, which is 23 sq mi in size)

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:54:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How can we reply when we don't know the location you speak of?
View Quote

This always bugs me when someone with "USA" as their location starts talking about "where I am".
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:55:40 AM EDT
[#23]
No shit....

It a coup not the flu.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:56:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yea. Some 6-7 million people out of a job is way beyond that...

Muh job is more important than my 70 year old neighbors life!!

The "doomers" live in a binary world. Everything needs to be this OR that.
They don't have the mental capacity to envision a solution that supports a robust economy while also taking precautionary measures to protect
against the spread of viral infections, particularly among the elderly. There is only one solution to them and that's it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:13:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/
https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

Please leave the math to the people who understand it. Your napkin math is always going to be shit compared to the hundreds if not thousands of people working on simulations for covid that are advising policy makers. Above is a better place to start. Even with extreme social distancing measures its projected we'll have 60k deaths at a minimum. Without those measures it'd be far far worse. Humans such at understanding exponential math.
View Quote

Key word in your statement is "simulation"
Also funny how people trust the .gov and the "experts" only when they want to. Hmmmmm.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:16:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Sorry your virus lost
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Also funny how people trust the .gov and the "experts" only when they want to. Hmmmmm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please leave the math to the people who understand it. Your napkin math is always going to be shit compared to the hundreds if not thousands of people working on simulations for covid that are advising policy makers. Above is a better place to start. Even with extreme social distancing measures its projected we'll have 60k deaths at a minimum. Without those measures it'd be far far worse. Humans such at understanding exponential math.

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:34:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Anecdotes are neat. Everyone avoids us like the plague around here. People will cross the street a half a block ahead of us to not walk by us.
View Quote

This is what I am seeing, people are staying away. People still go out but they don’t go near each other. Behaviours have changed, instead of going to the post office every day they go once a week and they go in one at a time.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#29]
I agree with the OP. This biggest impact of the disease has been public hysteria and the economy.
The hysteria has even spread to ARFCOM. The nearly 2,000 page doomer thread is evidence of that. I was blacklisted from that thread for posting a link to CDC data on the conventional flu for comparison purposes.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The whole world owes you. You. You did it. You figured it out. Countless smart people around the world doing research around the clock, formulating models and running simulations, fuck that. They are all wrong. You have it figured out. Your 16 minutes searching google is the break through everyone needed. I for one am relieved. Thank you for your service.

View Quote

It seems the doomers are resorting to insults to push their story. Always a bad sign.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:50:32 PM EDT
[#31]
German antibody testing seems to suggest huge amounts of asymptomatic carriers...

https://www.thenational.ae/world/germany-s-wuhan-has-15-per-cent-infection-rate-and-low-death-toll-1.1004050
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I agree with the OP. This biggest impact of the disease has been public hysteria and the economy.
The hysteria has even spread to ARFCOM. The nearly 2,000 page doomer thread is evidence of that. I was blacklisted from that thread for posting a link to CDC data on the conventional flu for comparison purposes.
View Quote

Blacklisted. There’s a DoomerMod?
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You mean the 'expert' projections that have all repeatedly proven to be BS?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean the 'expert' projections that have all repeatedly proven to be BS?

Agreed.
Original estimate that closed America was 2,400,000 dead, then 200,000, now down 60,000. Which puts in into the normal flu range.
Me standing 6' away from the schlub next to me helped, but not this much.
Original models were rediculously inaccurate, maybe intentionally.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:58:26 PM EDT
[#34]
The more I read the more serious I think the illness is.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:59:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Over three weeks ago I gave an estimate and model that laid out how this has panned  out.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 1:02:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Lots of this going on:

Argument from authorityFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search
An argument from authority (argumentum ab auctoritate), also called an appeal to authority, or argumentum ad verecundiam, is a form of defeasible[1] argument in which the opinion of an authority on a topic is used as evidence to support an argument. It is well known as a fallacy, though some consider that it is used in a cogent form when all sides of a discussion agree on the reliability of the authority in the given context.[2][3] Other authors consider it a fallacy to cite an authority on the discussed topic as the primary means of supporting an argument.[4]
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 1:02:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

we got okie doked and half of Arfcom not only fell for it but are still falling for it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

we got okie doked and half of Arfcom not only fell for it but are still falling for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

It's a more than a little embarrassing.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Lots of this going on:

Argument from authorityFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search
An argument from authority (argumentum ab auctoritate), also called an appeal to authority, or argumentum ad verecundiam, is a form of defeasible[1] argument in which the opinion of an authority on a topic is used as evidence to support an argument. It is well known as a fallacy, though some consider that it is used in a cogent form when all sides of a discussion agree on the reliability of the authority in the given context.[2][3] Other authors consider it a fallacy to cite an authority on the discussed topic as the primary means of supporting an argument.[4]
View Quote

An appeal to authority often has other purposes.  And can be a fallacy.
But, dumbasses pretending to be smart blow off legitimate arguments from authority all the time.

The perfect ARFCOMMER example would be

Poster ILUV_ShootieGunz starts a thread-
“ I just bout the new ShootieGunZ AX15XXX SuperShooter and its way better than an AR 15.  The folding stock is super rugged, it has 100% total reliability, great accuracy, is the best of the piston designs, their 87 round drum mag is perfect, it fits like a glove, it’s perfect, it exceeds mil spec. “

The poster took a one day carbine course from a certified NRA instructor, owns a handful of guns, and does not have a case of ammo under his belt for his lifetime round count.

Poster GrumpyGenXShooter replies-
“We tested those when I was the OTC Sergeant Major and also oversaw R&D.  The stocks break too easy.  Reliability was less than an M4 same magazine to same magazine.  Something about the rapidly changeable barrel and design put the average Accuracy about 1.666 times that of the 416.  Their drum is problematic.  Ergonomics of the BHO, mag release, etc. put average Manual of arms tasks  and stage completion about 10% slower than an M4 or 416.  In both our testing and the dozen guys that used them for three gun on multiple outings, the stock either broke or stopped locking about a quarter of the time.  This gun is inferior to the M4 or 416, and a disadvantage in competition.”

ShootieGunz gets pissed and continues to argue.  Calling this appeal to authority a bullshit logical fallacy.
GrumpyGenX has three years in ranger BN, three years in SF, 22 years as an operator, is a state champ 3 gun guy, and runs a shooting school.  This is a legitimate argument from authority with real data and experience.

On the other hand, FrumpyGenX enters a lot of new pistol threads and rages against POS striker and DA/SA guns because of all his background and that the 1911 is the greatest of all hand weapons and is THE fighting pistol as God intended via the prophet JMB.  Data regarding overall reliability, maintenance, part failure round counts, etc. that shows objective, reproducible, irrefutable data is all blown off and dismissed by GenXshooter.  THIS is the logical fallacy example.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 1:52:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Italy...
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#41]
It is massively overblown.  When we have real datasets it will be shown.  They've already hinted at this.  

Is it dangerous? Sure.  Especially to our most vulnerable.  So are many diseases.

Is it worth sending millions to the unemployment lines and shuttering tens of thousands of businesses, some permanently?  Absolutely not.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 4:39:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Hmm. Everywhere I go in Washington I see crowds of people lined up at stores fighting over buttwipe and water bottles. All the fast food joints and coffee stands have long lines of people handing the little chicky at the window their dirty contaminated money while she hands em their bags full of heart desease. So much for social distancing.
From what I understand, most people that get this show little or no symptoms. how many people have actually been infected? Give me an accurate number.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 4:42:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It is massively overblown.  When we have real datasets it will be shown.  They've already hinted at this.  

Is it dangerous? Sure.  Especially to our most vulnerable.  So are many diseases.

Is it worth sending millions to the unemployment lines and shuttering tens of thousands of businesses, some permanently?  Absolutely not.
View Quote

iF iT juSt sAVES oNE BOOMER...
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Agreed.
Original estimate that closed America was 2,400,000 dead, then 200,000, now down 60,000. Which puts in into the normal flu range.
Me standing 6' away from the schlub next to me helped, but not this much.
Original models were rediculously inaccurate, maybe intentionally.
View Quote

It’s turning out that Covid 19 is a little bitch made flu wannabe. Hey on the bright side we got tons of hot nurses on the “front lines” doing tik tok videos.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 4:53:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep we fell for the old banana in the tail pipe.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The estimate that guessed an R0 of 5.7 was based on the ficticous Chinese data. Most other guesses are in the 2-2.5 range. It's probably even less than that given how wrong the models have been, likely because the asymptomatic cases are much larger than first thought, and clear the infection sooner and thus have a much lower R0 value.

Back-computing Swedish data seems to suggest an R0 of ~1.5. Natural R0 is probably higher in NYC for obvious reasons (5 million people live and/or work on Manhattan, which is 23 sq mi in size)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go look at the numbers outside China, and ignore the idiocy of the Imperial data, which is based on Chinese bullshit.

Best estimates now are putting the r0 just under 6 (3x the flu). And look at global figures for deaths versus recovered cases. Then look at fatalities rates for Europe.

It will not stop until it has infected the majority of the population. Keep that in mind.

Yeah, NYC is a special case... not only is there a high density, there's a very, VERY strong trend in the most dense areas of not cooking for yourself, but getting take-out or delivery at least once per day, if not every meal.  The apartments are just too tiny, kitchens are tiny, grocery stores aren't just down the block, a lot of them don't have cars, etc..  I think that alone is likely one factor that greatly increases their natrual R0.

Quoted:
Italy...

Just Italy?  Not.... you know... the North of Italy? Because the South of Italy hasn't had the problems.

Evidently, when you have a location with a very old population, small housing with multiple generations living together, a culture with much less "personal space", very high rate of obesity and type 2, the worst air quality in all of Europe, an extremely high rate of chronic pulmonary disease, and respiratory ICUs that run 90-95% occupied in a NORMAL season... respiratory issues hit them harder.   Who would have thought?  Yet, despite being a nearly perfect storm for COVID... their COVID deaths are only about 60% of their average number of flu deaths.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 4:56:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

It’s beautiful.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It seems the doomers are resorting to insults to push their story. Always a bad sign.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a doomer or a flu bro. Just pointing out how retarded some people are that they think they have the tiger by the tail here. I think nobody really truly knows. People are just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. Some people's guesses are more educated than others but I think we are still guessing. At this point though I really don't give a fuck what happens. I just want it over. I'm tried of sitting home. Let's get on with it already.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#49]
I don't give a shit how many die, the fact is more people die everyday than this bs that is going around. How many of you have kids? you really want to see it all go to shit to save a few lives? I'm gonna let you in on a little secret, the government doesn't care if you live or die it just wants to control you and it is achieving that very goal as we speak. Look at history and see how this all plays out, mandatory vaccines, rfid chips possible, do you really want your children to grow up in a dystopian future like that ? Stand your ground and tell them no!!
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'm with this^ guy...

...the government is wise. The government knows what is best
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm with this^ guy...

...the government is wise. The government knows what is best

The government is incompetent.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top