Page / 13
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 4:03:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Link Posted: 1/16/2014 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Wow...what the fuck are they thinking?????
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
New model... M-14-88

This has to be one of the stupidest things a company could possibly do.

For comparison, here is the SS totenkopf.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/97/SS_Totenkopf_Fahne.svg/500px-SS_Totenkopf_Fahne.svg.png

Wow...what the fuck are they thinking?????

Link Posted: 1/16/2014 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

So, we're bad to criticize a company who's dumb enough to use a well known symbol of a well known regime known for genocide?

Keep on 13'ing, bro.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The war is over and I do not live in fear of Hitler or symbols used by Nazis.   Move on with life.

No one is living in fear. It's a matter of extremely poor taste. If you have to go cliche and use a skull and bones - don't use the same ones the SS used. Jesus, it's not that hard.

You are dwelling on the past.  Love it when someone on a firearms website is complaining about someone's right to free speech because you have outed yourself as not respecting the rights of others.  

Nazi Germany is gone and complaining about the use of similar symbols only extends the fear.  My neighbor can paint a swastika in his yard for all I care.

So, we're bad to criticize a company who's dumb enough to use a well known symbol of a well known regime known for genocide?

Keep on 13'ing, bro.

Don't worry man, its just the Reddit generation.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 4:56:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Considering SEI is a site sponsor, will be we be seeing any Nazi skulls parading around on the ad banners here?
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 4:57:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Oh, you're soooo gonna get sued now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SMITH MUZZLE DEVICES
http://www.nizkor.org/hweb/orgs/german/einsatzgruppen/esg/images2/g61.jpg
ELIMINATE MUZZLE CLIMB AND FLASH
AS WELL AS UNTERMENSCHEN

Oh, you're soooo gonna get sued now.

Good luck serving him in Syria
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The nazis can't trademark all the SS skulls.

Wonderful explanation.
View Quote

I vaguely recall the plot of a novel, where a scam goes sideways when the thieves' shell business unexpectedly starts actually turning a profit.

The antics of the main characters attempting to push their business back into the red by any and all means possible, no matter how tasteless or ridiculous, are somewhat reminiscent here.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 5:07:59 PM EDT
[#7]
This would make more sense if Troy used it rather than Smith.

Link Posted: 1/16/2014 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I vaguely recall the plot of a novel, where a scam goes sideways when the thieves' shell business unexpectedly starts actually turning a profit.

The antics of the main characters attempting to push their business back into the red by any and all means possible, no matter how tasteless or ridiculous, are somewhat reminiscent here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wonderful explanation.

That was Mel Brooks' movie, "The Producers."

SEI should have "Springtime for Hitler" start playing when you go to their website. It would fit with the epic, mind numbing stupidity exhibited by choosing the SS Totenkopf as a company logo.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 5:24:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just don't care what a company that I have nothing to do with does.

I had family killed by Nazi's and the Japanese in WWII. My Uncle was beheaded on the Bataan Death March while his brother (my Grandfather's other brother) witnessed it.  

I'm not offended when I see the rising sun every morning.

If Smith wants to use that logo for their company, fine with me I'm not buying anything from them anyway.

Have fun, I have more important issues to worry about.

View Quote

People like you are what make these threads good.

Link Posted: 1/16/2014 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

SEI should have "Springtime for Hitler" start playing when you go to their website. It would fit with the epic, mind numbing stupidity exhibited by choosing the SS Totenkopf as a company logo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wonderful explanation.

I'm familiar with the film, there was a book dealing with a similar premise at one point.

The film is probably more apropos however, with the Nazi theme and all.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The war is over and I do not live in fear of Hitler or symbols used by Nazis.   Move on with life.
View Quote

They rounded up and brutally murdered 5 Million  men, women and children. Get a fucking clue......

Link Posted: 1/16/2014 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not bothered by it.          

Same here.
Pantie binding over it really makes me wonder WTF.

Wow...

I had family killed by Nazi's and the Japanese in WWII. My Uncle was beheaded on the Bataan Death March while his brother (my Grandfather's other brother) witnessed it.  
If Smith wants to use that logo for their company, fine with me I'm not buying anything from them anyway.

There's a reason people aren't upset by the Rising Sun symbol...

Japanese Empire --> While conquering the Pacific, murdered innocent people when the opportunity presented itself after winning or losing strategic battles - examples are Nanjing and Bataan

SS wing of the Third Reich --> Went out of their way to murder innocent people outside of army operations - created an entire culture of ethnic cleansing and systematic mass murder - sole purpose to commit mass murder on unarmed civilians

That's why the SS symbol still matters and nobody gives a shit about the Rising Sun - the Japanese were just a fucked up enemy to fight and showed no quarter to civilians and soldiers alike during the scope of their military operations.

The SS (though they did have combat unit wings) existed for the sole purpose of seeking out innocent people to murder them systematically - to wipe an ethnicity from the face of the planet. This, outside of military operations.

That's the difference.

Link Posted: 1/16/2014 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not bothered by it.          

Same here.

Wow...

Japanese Empire --> While conquering the Pacific, murdered innocent people when the opportunity presented itself after winning or losing strategic battles - examples are Nanjing and Bataan

SS wing of the Third Reich --> Went out of their way to murder innocent people outside of army operations - created an entire culture of ethnic cleansing and systematic mass murder - sole purpose to commit mass murder on unarmed civilians

That's why the SS symbol still matters and nobody gives a shit about the Rising Sun - the Japanese were just a fucked up enemy to fight and showed no quarter to civilians and soldiers alike during the scope of their military operations.

The SS (though they did have combat unit wings) existed for the sole purpose of seeking out innocent people to murder them systematically - to wipe an ethnicity from the face of the planet. This, outside of military operations.

That's the difference.

Thanks for the history lesson, but I still don't care what Smith does.

Link Posted: 1/16/2014 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here.

Wow...

That's the difference.

Thanks for the history lesson, but I still don't care what Smith does.

I don't care what Smith does with their company, but when they try justifying the SS symbol as if it's no longer relevant or not the same thing, that's where I have to speak up and call them out on their BS.

Link Posted: 1/16/2014 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wonderful explanation.

Link Posted: 1/16/2014 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh it's supposed to be crossed bones behind the skull???
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I think reparations are due.

Just the mere fact that past history can be argued over and butt hurt can be spread far and wide(lol) warrants reparations.

Link Posted: 1/16/2014 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#19]

You will Nazi the flash?
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 10:57:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You will Nazi the flash?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You will Nazi the flash?

snort.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 11:25:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The Scout Sniper thing is another fuck up.

Did they REALLY think they weren't going to get a shit storm for using that as a symbol of their unit? It doesn't matter if it's not exactly identical - its pretty fucking close - close enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just curious, is this the same website that got pissed at the Media freaking out about the Marine Scout Sniper logo?

There's pretty big difference between two letters in the same style and a DIRECT FUCKING COPY of the logo.
Especially when the company itself admits that Mr. Ron Smith himself loves it and appropriated it for himself.

Did they REALLY think they weren't going to get a shit storm for using that as a symbol of their unit? It doesn't matter if it's not exactly identical - its pretty fucking close - close enough.

The Scout Snipers were using the SS as early as 1993.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 11:26:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just curious, is this the same website that got pissed at the Media freaking out about the Marine Scout Sniper logo?

There's pretty big difference between two letters in the same style and a DIRECT FUCKING COPY of the logo.

Especially when the company itself admits that Mr. Ron Smith himself loves it and appropriated it for himself.

It's amazing they got away with that for as long as they did before the media found out about it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 11:36:14 PM EDT
[#23]
<Removed. Don't make those accusations unless you have proof. -NorCal>
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 11:41:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is shameful that any member of the American military would ever want to use the banner of the people that did this.  

Those aren't jews, russians, or resistance fighters, those are American POWs.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 11:46:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Smith is ran by a bunch of 88's. Seems to cliche and stereotypical. Maybe they got the seed money for their business by selling Nazi memoribilia at gun shows?
View Quote

You are so fucking sued.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 11:49:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Have they actually threatened to sue people over giving them shit about this?
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 11:50:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Anybody get sued yet?
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 11:58:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I will grant it's a poor marketing move, simply because it's a shitty design. On the use of the Death's Head, let people who want to be ruled by knee jerk emotion get rule by knee jerk emotions. This is no different then people who get upset at the sight of a Confederate flag or Redskin on the side of a football helmet.

Yes it's similar to the SS Totenkopt, hell it may be from the Nazi flash art section at the local tattoo parlor. However the Death's Head has an original meaning of outlaws, pirates, death, and danger.

Damn, I hate wearing a flame suit all the time.....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Totenkopf pre-dates the Nazis, much like the Swastika. Don't let the ignorant conscript history.

Totenkopf, yes. The SS-Totenkopf? Well, no, that didn't pre-date the Nazis.

Doesn't matter if it predates or not. It is in bad taste and will attract an unfortunate crowd. Marketing is the art of making ones products or services desirable. This will alienate a lot of people.

I will grant it's a poor marketing move, simply because it's a shitty design. On the use of the Death's Head, let people who want to be ruled by knee jerk emotion get rule by knee jerk emotions. This is no different then people who get upset at the sight of a Confederate flag or Redskin on the side of a football helmet.

Yes it's similar to the SS Totenkopt, hell it may be from the Nazi flash art section at the local tattoo parlor. However the Death's Head has an original meaning of outlaws, pirates, death, and danger.

Damn, I hate wearing a flame suit all the time.....

He could have picked 100 other ones.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 12:00:55 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
You are so fucking sued.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Smith is ran by a bunch of 88's? Seems too cliche and stereotypical. Maybe they got the seed money for their business by selling Nazi memoribilia at gun shows?

You are so fucking sued.
In that case let me correct my grammatical errors, so I don't look like a total idiot in court.

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 12:01:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Needs a catchphrase like "Smith Enterprises - The Final Solution."
View Quote

I Wannsee what you did there
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 12:01:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Anybody get sued yet?
View Quote

I think the fact that Smith apparently recognizes the association with the Schutzstaffel and publicly says they don't care what people think is a pretty good defense.  But in for the cease and desist letters.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 12:26:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Everyone who has bad mouthed them over this, better go lawyer up and prepare your anus.

View Quote

Are yiu insinuating that SEI is full of homosexuals?
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 12:29:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everyone who has bad mouthed them over this, better go lawyer up and prepare your anus.

It's not gay if done out of anger.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 12:32:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That's the difference.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not bothered by it.          

Same here.

Wow...

That's the difference.

The SS also murdered gays. And gypsies.. and more.

They killed folks in my family in my grandparents time.

No fucks given, its just a symbol, and it's time to move on. Getting agitated over it is what gives it power. 

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 12:55:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Those snipers were trolling like douchebags.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 1:03:42 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not bothered by it.          

Same here.

Wow...

That's the difference.

Imperial Japs being "less evil" than the Nazi's is false and needs to be addressed.
Actually
they were every bit as bad, maybe worse than the Nazi's. It just wasn't
propagated as much by Hollywood. Basically wanted to ethnically cleanse
Asia of "less pure" Asians. Ever hear of Nanking? How about their
occupation of Korea and the rounding up of Korean women to be used as
barrack and ship based sex slaves "comfort women" as the Japs called
them.
Google unit 731 and find out about the Imperial Japanese
medical experiments and how they thought it was ok so long as "sub humans" were being used as test subjects. Not to mention their treatment of American POW's.
Given the choice between a Nazi POW camp or a Japanese POW camp, you
would rather be in the German camp, trust me. The worst part was most of
these sadistic animals that served under the rising sun banner were
never served justice, never hunted down, a few were hung, but not many.
Not many movies made about it, not many museums to document it. But it
happened none the less.

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 2:28:52 AM EDT
[#37]
it always seems to me that neo-nazis are the kind of people that the paleo-nazis would have had killed.

anyway, that's not new. i remember seing it on the website several years ago. i'm really surprised nobody noticed it before now.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 2:39:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
it always seems to me that neo-nazis are the kind of people that the paleo-nazis would have had killed.

anyway, that's not new. i remember seing it on the website several years ago. i'm really surprised nobody noticed it before now.
View Quote

A bad or poor pic or two on a website can be blown off as a mistake. It happens often.

This got big when they brought swag to shot covered in ze new logo.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 2:42:39 AM EDT
[#39]
I think someone at the company needs to have a screw loose in the head in order to have adopted that symbol as its logo.

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 3:03:44 AM EDT
[#40]
" Imperial Japs being "less evil" than the Nazi's is false and needs to be addressed.

Actually they were every bit as bad, maybe worse than the Nazi's. It just wasn't propagated as much by Hollywood. Basically wanted to ethnically cleanse Asia of "less pure" Asians. Ever hear of Nanking? How about their occupation of Korea and the rounding up of Korean women to be used as barrack and ship based sex slaves "comfort women" as the Japs called them.

Google unit 731 and find out about the Imperial Japanese medical experiments and how they thought it was ok so long as "sub humans" were being used as test subjects. Not to mention their treatment of American POW's. Given the choice between a Nazi POW camp or a Japanese POW camp, you would rather be in the German camp, trust me. The worst part was most of these sadistic animals that served under the rising sun banner were never served justice, never hunted down, a few were hung, but not many. Not many movies made about it, not many museums to document it. But it happened none the less."

Excellent post and rebuttal by Smash47!!!!!.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 3:08:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Doesn't matter if it predates or not. It is in bad taste and will attract an unfortunate crowd. Marketing is the art of making ones products or services desirable. This will alienate a lot of people.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Totenkopf pre-dates the Nazis, much like the Swastika. Don't let the ignorant conscript history.

Its not like they needed a lot of help in that department...
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 3:22:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

A bad or poor pic or two on a website can be blown off as a mistake. It happens often.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

nah, it was the same tshirt that's on there now. pretty clear what it was.

http://www.smithenterprise.com/products20.html

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 3:32:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That's the difference.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not bothered by it.          

Same here.

Wow...

That's the difference.

Your a tad wrong on your facts.  The japs committed perhaps worse or at least the same level of attrocities as the germans did.  Do some reading on the Units the japs had set up in china.....namely Unit 731.  The reason the Germans are remembered is because the way the history books are written.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 3:43:45 AM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 3:52:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Have they actually threatened to sue people over giving them shit about this?
View Quote

Hammonje is the ARFCOM member
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 4:10:38 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Hahahahahahahhahahahahah! LOL!!!!

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 4:13:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I highly doubt that trailer-dwelling, poor white trash 88s can afford SEI price tags...

BIt it's a stupid logo anyway. The skull/zombie shit is a bit over done.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 5:49:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those snipers?

I don't think you understand how long they have been using the "SS" symbol.

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 6:43:22 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's just wrong...

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 6:46:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You win the internet retort of the day.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top