BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What I'd really want to see in OSX is the ability to force the volume level of apps at the system level like you can with Windows volume Mixer.
View Quote
About 95% this is a feature if done thru audio midi setup.

another little know feature of AMS is you can use two audio interfaces at the same time and the Mac will handle all the clocking.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Okay, there is this.  Sound.

Windows -- fuck Windows right in the ass.  Let me get that out of the way first, so there's no confusion.  Fuck Windows, Fuck Microsoft.  Never has a company with so great an advantage done so little with so much.  (Not true, but it's a good rant.)

Unix/Linux -- yeah, okay, this has historically been a pain in the ass, especially when open-source drivers were scarcer.  You can do it, but you're going to go elbows-deep doing anything interesting, and get ready to start stopping/starting services and swearing wildly at PulseAudio.  Go easy on the caffeine.

Mac -- I just set up a couple multi-output devices and tested them.  Wired, with a mix of output devices, a USB sound card and a headphone jack cable and generally a WTF setup visually; and then bluetooth.  I was listening to sound a few minutes later.
View Quote

I'd add one more point that Linux has at least in my experience become easier/faster to install and fully patch than Windows.   I also haven't not been having the driver issues w/ it that it used to have.   That doesn't mean it doesn't kick you in the nuts occasionally though.     It's easy when it works, but when it doesn't it's a gold plated bitch.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'd add one more point that Linux has at least in my experience become easier/faster to install and fully patch than Windows.   I also haven't not been having the driver issues w/ it that it used to have.   That doesn't mean it doesn't kick you in the nuts occasionally though.     It's easy when it works, but when it doesn't it's a gold plated bitch.
View Quote

Seems like a bunch of posters are multi-OS, so maybe this is a reasonable tangent.

I've always thought the *ix OSes were easier to patch.  And that's going back to the FTP download, compile, install cycle.  Package managers with integrated service management now make it even easier.  Probably some of my earliest hate for Microsoft (MS-DOS was okay) was Windows and the mindnumbing serialized-dependency patch architecture they thought made sense.  Okay, there were those Oracle script-driven updates of the mid-90s, where they would churn forever and then tell you you didn't have enough disk space, exiting without caching any of the answers you'd had to enter.  Uh, check sooner in the process?  Cache?  Think?

That said, I have rarely felt more helpless than when I would sit at a SPARC workstation trying to make all the not-quite-standard-but-very-cool pieces of software play nicely.  It seemed to always be tied to a hardware issue, never my forte.  I'm better with conceptual abstractions than with physical things, and have fond memories of IEEE 1003.1 -- a really sharp group of people -- but hardware issues make my brain hurt.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What I'd really want to see in OSX is the ability to force the volume level of apps at the system level like you can with Windows volume Mixer.
View Quote

You can do that with an app called Soundsource.  And run Audio Unit effects on system/app sound.  

I used it for years until I bought a hardware compressor for my home theater Mac Mini and now I wish I had done that to begin with.  No more loud as fuck sound effects and whisper dialogue in movies.
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top