Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 9:37:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The population has absolutely exploded here.  I can literally drive 100 miles and almost every single pole has a hawk on it.  They were very rare to see when I was a kid.

I live in a huge wetlands area, and have yet to see one actually eating a game bird.  99% of the kills I've seen are pigeons, rats, and squirrels.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 9:44:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I drive by Salt River fairly often and about 60% of the time spot an osprey in the area.
If you think Hawks are big, ospreys are bigger.
The only raptor larger is an eagle.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Seen them in pairs, but never triplets.  Saw a pair of brown foxes today.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 9:45:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You mean like squirrels?

So cooper hawks kill quail and red tailed kill squirrels,  just for examples.

My argument is that they're destructive in the amount of game they kill. Which they are.

Only GD would say the national wildlife federation is wrong lol
View Quote
Except the hawks we're talking about in the guy's yard, THE SUBJECT OF THE OP, are NOT Cooper's Hawks.  You know, that one little detail you left out?  So why do you care how many squirrels they kill?  Do you think squirrels are about to go extinct?  Because we have a shitload of them here and I've never heard of anywhere they're threatened.  Not grey squirrels anyway.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I read your posts in the voice of your avatar.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You leave my animal brothers(sisters, too, I just can’t tell them apart) alone. I wanted a really cool, dangerous spirit animal, like a grizzly bear or great white shark. Instead, I got red-tail hawks, but it’s cool...
I read your posts in the voice of your avatar.
If that’s what it takes you to get through my stories, then go for it.

I speak much faster than ol’ Graham does, and spin long-winded stories for a long time without repeating myself. I probably would have been a decent Peace Chief back in the Old Days, with the ability to schmooze or baffle my tribe’s opponents.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 9:56:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I speak much faster than ol’ Graham does, and spin long-winded stories for a long time without repeating myself. I probably would have been a decent Peace Chief back in the Old Days, with the ability to schmooze or baffle my tribe’s opponents.
View Quote
Ok, Arthur.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We don't see a lot of red tails around here because it's more marshy.  Mostly red-shoulders.

https://pbase.com/rikwriter/image/110095095.jpg

I have seen some red-tails north of here though.

https://pbase.com/rikwriter/image/142096294.jpg
View Quote
I had a red shouldered hawk in the tree in my back yard last Sunday. Thought it was pretty cool.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You mean like squirrels?

My argument is that they're destructive in the amount of game they kill. Which they are.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The story you posted above is about a Cooper’s hawk, which is a bird-eating accipiter. Red Tailed hawks (buteo) primarily eat rodents. You are advocating the killing of something based on a false argument.

And to counter that story, cats are responsible for the predation of quail to a much greater extent than birds of prey. If you want to make a difference shoot feral cats.
You mean like squirrels?

Which birds are destructive? Which studies are those?

Raptors are relatively uncommon. They are hardly “destructive.” As a natural part of the ecosystem their population sizes lag prey populations. That means that their populations NATURALLY adjust to prey population sizes. No need to “manage” their populations.

Non-natural predators like cats are NOT part of the natural ecosystem. Their populations do NOT lag prey populations because they are artificially supported by humans. They are far more common than raptors and their effects are VASTLY (most estimates are that cats kill something like 2-3 BILLION birds a year) more “destructive.”

If you want to talk about species like quail, look no further than ecosystem destruction and loss of habitat. Unlike other species they typically require open rangeland/scrub.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 11:18:04 PM EDT
[#10]
This thread went full retard.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 11:21:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Could have been a great thread.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 11:22:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
You know, I have hunted a lot in my life.  Never had a problem killing animals for food or because they're being a nuisance.  But I never once killed an animal because I felt like it was a rival for other game.  It just sounds so fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 3:02:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ok, Arthur.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, Arthur.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 4:18:20 AM EDT
[#14]
A few of photos that I took last Sunday. It was a long shot and a seriously overcast day. Decided to go vintage when I processed them to salvage them.

These are low resolution copies of the originals.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 4:27:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I seen a red tail hawk the other week running around through the bushes hunting.
I have never seen one hunt like that, it was funny.

Love those birds.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 4:34:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I seen a red tail hawk the other week running around through the bushes hunting.

Love those birds.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/33050/Red-tailed-hawk-Fire-Jeff-Robinson_jpg-1238881.JPG
View Quote
Beautiful photo
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They are and wreck populations of animals people like to hunt.

They're not endangered anymore and should at least have a season or something.
View Quote
Cats do more damage to huntable game than birds of prey do...especially game of a size a hawk can kill and carry.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:17:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Who’s the Arfcommer who shot video of the red tail nailing mice that he set out on his porch railing? All you could see was the mouse, then WHAM, the talons smash down on the mouse like something out of a Godzilla movie.
View Quote
And the one who saved a redtail on the golf course he works at...hawk returns to him for snacks like a falconry bird.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:18:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Love those birds.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/33050/Red-tailed-hawk-Fire-Jeff-Robinson_jpg-1238881.JPG
View Quote
Is that the bird that was running through the bushes? I ask because the behavior description sounds like a Harris hawk.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:20:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You leave my animal brothers(sisters, too, I just can't tell them apart) alone. I wanted a really cool, dangerous spirit animal, like a grizzly bear or great white shark. Instead, I got red-tail hawks, but it's cool...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Should be treated the same as Groundhogs, Feral Cats and Feral Pigs.
You leave my animal brothers(sisters, too, I just can't tell them apart) alone. I wanted a really cool, dangerous spirit animal, like a grizzly bear or great white shark. Instead, I got red-tail hawks, but it's cool...
Be thankful you're not in CT, your spirit animal might be a fat, 85 year old woman soiling her pantsuit on seat in front of a slot machine.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

<<<<<<< avatar.

Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:25:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
They are federally protected by the MBTA and can not be hunted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not endangered, but still protected.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:26:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Duh. I know. The MBTA is wrong in many ways.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Duh. I know. The MBTA is wrong in many ways.
Metropolitan Baltimore Transit Authority has a say in Redtail Hawk hunting?  What does MARTA have to say about this?
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:35:06 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a nesting pair of Bald Eagles in my backyard. They're pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:39:16 AM EDT
[#25]
We have idiots here that shoot raptors?  GD never dissapoints. Just when you think the IQ level has hit bottom somebody shows up with a backhoe.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'd say those are pretty good signs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sure could use some of their help in the eyesight department. My myopic ass needs to get to the eye doctor for new glasses soon.

I’m only half serious about spirit animals, and I honestly don’t know how it’s supposed to work, but I have an interesting(to me, anyway) story about red tails and me.

I once got really lost in rural Arkansas after delivering a load of pipe to a job-site, and the ‘shortcut’ back to I-40 got me even more lost. It was getting dark, no sun, pre cell phone, my map didn’t show the road I was on, and I was a new driver. I got to a T-intersection and there was a hawk sitting on the sign. It turned its head and looked to the left & back at me a few times. I took it as a sing, turned left and followed the road to another T-intersection and found another hawk, this one looking to the right. This continued several more times until I could see 40 off in the distance, at which point I saw no more hawks.

Another time Mrs. IHJ came to pick me up from work, but couldn’t find which truck was mine. There were 100 identical tractors parked in rows & I was asleep in the back of one of them. She circled the lot until she saw a hawk sitting on a lamp post right above my truck, so she stopped. The hawk dipped its head a few times and then flew off, and Mrs. IHJ’s knock on the door woke me up.
I'd say those are pretty good signs.
Amen!
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:45:18 AM EDT
[#27]
This time of year, Bald Eagles and a few Goldens, are everywhere.  They follow the migrating snow geese and eat the wounded and dead.  With 100,000 snow geese around, several die every day.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:45:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You know, I have hunted a lot in my life.  Never had a problem killing animals for food or because they're being a nuisance.  But I never once killed an animal because I felt like it was a rival for other game.  It just sounds so fucking stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Notes avatar
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:48:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
STFU, if there were no predators, you would be up to your ass in duck, turkey, and what ever the fuck else shit. Wake the fuck up.
View Quote
Oh no! What would we do with all those delicious animals?
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:52:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Probably last years brood. Too young to mate. Too old to stay at home with mom and dad.

I've seen 2 in a tree a few times at the homestead.

Seeing 3 Pileated Woodpeckers was pretty exciting though.
View Quote
Here’s two on the power pole in my yard last month.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:52:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Is that the bird that was running through the bushes? I ask because the behavior description sounds like a Harris hawk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Love those birds.

@blinded I did not take that photo and no it isn't the bird that was hunting on foot.

It very well may have been a Harris Hawk. It posted up on my back yard view fence then
flew to the ground following a foot pursuit of a rabbit or something. It was really a neat event.

Red tails are far more common here but I do believe we get Harris Hawks as well.
It was a juvenile and had the lighter peppered colors.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 11:49:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Modern farming practices have far more to do with the declining population then hawks.
View Quote
No. They love farms.
Our ranches have been wiped out since they where protected.
Hard as hell to raise your own birds and snake numbers are increasing with the decline in ground birds.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 11:53:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
You think he cares?  LOL.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
STFU, if there were no predators, you would be up to your ass in duck, turkey, and what ever the fuck else shit. Wake the fuck up.
More than likely, hit them with your car.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 11:57:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It has also revealed frequent erections and in some cases, masturbation.
In fact, most mammals do in fact masturbate.
The Galapagos Shafter Monkey is a frequent offender.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

High speed photography has revealed that bats have a fairly high number of mid-air collisions :-)
Do they all go blind?

Link Posted: 1/18/2020 11:58:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I’ve seen more hawks near my house in FL and woods this year than the last 16 years.
Not sure why but welcome.
View Quote
Me too.  When I pass a red-shouldered hawk sitting on a wire I roll down the window and yell, "KREE-GAH!"
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:00:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
A few of photos that I took last Sunday. It was a long shot and a seriously overcast day. Decided to go vintage when I processed them to salvage them.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/71308/SMALL_VINTAGE_3_jpg-1238877.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/71308/SMALL_VINTAGE_1_jpg-1238878.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/71308/SMALL_VINTAGE_2_jpg-1238880.JPG
View Quote
@ZeroTolerance

AWESOME!
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:00:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Do they all go blind?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

High speed photography has revealed that bats have a fairly high number of mid-air collisions :-)
Do they all go blind?

The incompetent likely do.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:02:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Raptors are relatively uncommon. They are hardly “destructive.” As a natural part of the ecosystem their population sizes lag prey populations. That means that their populations NATURALLY adjust to prey population sizes. No need to “manage” their populations.

Non-natural predators like cats are NOT part of the natural ecosystem. Their populations do NOT lag prey populations because they are artificially supported by humans. They are far more common than raptors and their effects are VASTLY (most estimates are that cats kill something like 2-3 BILLION birds a year) more “destructive.”

If you want to talk about species like quail, look no further than ecosystem destruction and loss of habitat. Unlike other species they typically require open rangeland/scrub.
View Quote
Absolutely correct, wasn't Hawks, any other non human animal, or even fire ants, it was habitat destruction, mostly the killing of, and replacement of native grasses with non native invasive like Bermuda. My county is void of quail since the mid 1980s. It began in the mid 1970s when folks here started to switch from crop based ag to livestock based ag. Within a decade the quail were gone.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do they all go blind?

The older ones can't spurt in their eyes anymore, so they no longer have to worry.  Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The older ones can't spurt in their eyes anymore, so they no longer have to worry.  Ask me how I know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do they all go blind?

I'm not asking you that. Unless you have photos.
Do you have photos?  

You used post 54k above.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The population has absolutely exploded here.  I can literally drive 100 miles and almost every single pole has a hawk on it.  They were very rare to see when I was a kid.

I live in a huge wetlands area, and have yet to see one actually eating a game bird.  99% of the kills I've seen are pigeons, rats, and squirrels.
View Quote
I see very few hawks here until the fall migration.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#43]
We get a lot of pileated woodpeckers and stellar jays, both of which are very large and hugely aggressive.

Best is a group of small hawk or kestrel that migrate through. We had three sitting up in a tall fir this fall that took turns diving down to the birdfeeder...which I wouldn't have expected. Didn't know they were migratory, either. They stayed at it for a half hour or more, then flew on.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 2:57:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
@ZeroTolerance

AWESOME!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/71308/SMALL_VINTAGE_3_jpg-1238877.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/71308/SMALL_VINTAGE_1_jpg-1238878.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/71308/SMALL_VINTAGE_2_jpg-1238880.JPG
@ZeroTolerance

AWESOME!
@eracer

Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Attachment Attached File

The picture is old but in the backyard.

A pair of Bald Eagles.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 7:35:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Absolutely correct, wasn't Hawks, any other non human animal, or even fire ants, it was habitat destruction, mostly the killing of, and replacement of native grasses with non native invasive like Bermuda. My county is void of quail since the mid 1980s. It began in the mid 1970s when folks here started to switch from crop based ag to livestock based ag. Within a decade the quail were gone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TP&W has a quail re-introduction with a hybrid bird that is more adaptable to different habitat. It seems to be going well.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 8:16:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You mean like squirrels?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The story you posted above is about a Cooper’s hawk, which is a bird-eating accipiter. Red Tailed hawks (buteo) primarily eat rodents. You are advocating the killing of something based on a false argument.

And to counter that story, cats are responsible for the predation of quail to a much greater extent than birds of prey. If you want to make a difference shoot feral cats.
You mean like squirrels?

No some of us actually read the story and comprehended the part about the hawks. The rest of the story described the actual problem, changing habitat.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 11:12:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 11:26:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Not only that, post publicly about it, despite the COC.
View Quote
They have to maintain that edge..
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 11:28:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We have idiots here that shoot raptors?  GD never dissapoints. Just when you think the IQ level has hit bottom somebody shows up with a backhoe.
Plenty of ignorance out there.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top