Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 8:38:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Red Tailed Hawk that lives somewhere in the area.  I can pretty much call him up whenever I want to.  All I have to do is start bushhogging my front yard.  The sound of the bushhog is like ringing the dinner bell.

My front yard:

Note to Mods et al:  The Ruger American Predator in .223 is for coyotes, not hawks or other predatory birds.  At the time this pic was taken, we had a coyote killing chickens problem.  I could live with the coyotes getting a couple chickens.  I was far more worried about my kittys, however.  Like Butter, shown in the lower left.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a Red Tailed Hawk that lives somewhere in the area.  I can pretty much call him up whenever I want to.  All I have to do is start bushhogging my front yard.  The sound of the bushhog is like ringing the dinner bell.

My front yard:

https://i.imgur.com/6xbfiE1.jpg

Note to Mods et al:  The Ruger American Predator in .223 is for coyotes, not hawks or other predatory birds.  At the time this pic was taken, we had a coyote killing chickens problem.  I could live with the coyotes getting a couple chickens.  I was far more worried about my kittys, however.  Like Butter, shown in the lower left.
View Quote

Looks like my cat, Sleeves.

Link Posted: 1/19/2020 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

TP&W has a quail re-introduction with a hybrid bird that is more adaptable to different habitat. It seems to be going well.
View Quote
Awesome!

After research I have found out it is Texas A&M importing......gasp...….California Quail!
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#4]
We have only had quail around the place for the last couple years. There is a patch of large rabbit brush that they use for cover at the edge of the wash. I have sunk a drinker in the ground and have it fill with water on a timer. A couple times this summer I saw some sort of hawk after them. One time I was walking in from out back, I didn't know the quail were around and when they flushed a hawk was right on ones tail. They banked around the house and I lost sight of them, I don't know if it got the quail or not. I also saw three different cats around at times. We watched the quail walk past one cat that was lying under a sagebrush. must have been fifty of them and the cat never twitched. I mentioned to my wife that I ought to shoot the damned cats because I believed they were hell on the birds but that instance and her admonishment spared the cat. I don't like cats at all but I hate to shoot someone's pet too. And as for the hawks, we had one on the lawn while the sprinklers were going. He stayed there for most of the cycle enjoying the shower. One time my wife called me to the window to see two golden eagles in the yard. One was sitting on a railroad tie corner post in the barbed wire fence and the other on the ground by the rabbit brush where a very nervous jack rabbit was trying to hide, I think they must have seen it dash in there. We didn't intervene and finally went about our business.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My front yard:

https://i.imgur.com/6xbfiE1.jpg

View Quote
Saw my RTH this morning.  She was sitting on the Black Walnut down at the bottom of the hill behind the tree that's behind the rifle in the above pic.  I took a pic, but it didn't show up even under 4x zoom.  
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top