Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stop the 'free' hand outs and most will be willing to work!!  We did this to ourselves!
View Quote
LOL.... "free handouts" is older than America itself. Our entire western expansion was built off free handouts in the form of homesteading. Folks got free land from the government so they can farm it and the government can profit off it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#2]
we've told kids for decades that blue collar work is bad.  here we are...

im saving everything i can so hopefully i can retire at 60 because there is no one to replace my guys.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 10:30:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Let's see...  those jobs have wages that are either low or haven't kept pace with inflation, have seen reduced benefits, often deal with shitty/whiny members of the public, are often demonized by certain entities, and/or have seen bonus-seeking execs screw them over or ship their jobs elsewhere.

I can't imagine why people aren't clawing their way through the doors to get hired.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 11:08:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Would clean up society a bit in short order, truthfully.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just wait until opiates and fent are legalized
Would clean up society a bit in short order, truthfully.

No.

It would be disasterous.

Spit out the blackpill.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The 20th Century, especially the post WWII economic boom was an anomaly for the most part. The rest of the world was either rebuilding from the piles rubble or was a limited agrarian economy. No one was an economic rival. The prosperity of the 1950s in the US was built on a foundation of aggressive government spending, no foreign competition, and the fact that manual labor was needed and wasn't automated yet.

Events leading up to the Great Depression were the same... cheap credit, massive amounts of government spending, no foreign rivals. It all came crashing down. Our economic policies are a house of cards built on a foundation of lies. Future generations are going to get fucked, hard.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Hesperus

+1

I think these people are accepting a lower standard of living.  It's becoming the new normal.  Whereas previous generations always did better than their parents, that trend is ending.
The 20th Century, especially the post WWII economic boom was an anomaly for the most part. The rest of the world was either rebuilding from the piles rubble or was a limited agrarian economy. No one was an economic rival. The prosperity of the 1950s in the US was built on a foundation of aggressive government spending, no foreign competition, and the fact that manual labor was needed and wasn't automated yet.

Events leading up to the Great Depression were the same... cheap credit, massive amounts of government spending, no foreign rivals. It all came crashing down. Our economic policies are a house of cards built on a foundation of lies. Future generations are going to get fucked, hard.

+1000

A good chunk of the american exceptionalism was derived because the RoW was in rubble

Link Posted: 9/25/2023 11:22:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

QFT. Late Millenial here.

I graduated college in May of 2009 and it has been nothing but a complete shitshow of dodging M&As,
job hopping every 2 years (often with a change of states too) to beat 2-3% "Excellent Performance" raises while watching plenty of Boomers squat in their jobs hoarding/siloing critical information to keep their jobs (not that you can blame them).

I even worked for one company that offered a conventional pension plan vested at 5 years only to see that get trashed after they merged with a competitor after busting my ass for 2 years hoping to buy in to that American Dream. LIES!

Now I work from the sidelines and watch my customers lose all their institutional/tribal knowledge as the Boomers check out. It's a different type of shitshow, but for those who can adapt, there is far more opportunity than during the 2009-2014 period.

I've watched some junior engineers skip out on their 3rd company in 2 years for better pay. Stuff like that would have gotten you black listed previously, but Gen Z doesn't give a fuck and is saying Pay Me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The baby boom generation was big enough to both provide workers for our massive retail-centric world AND have its share of free spirits, criminals, and losers.  

Now, we still need lots of lower wage workers but have less ability to absorb each loss of a productive worker.

Working aged Gen Y'ers and Millennials entire adult life has been economic collapse after economic collapse.

QFT. Late Millenial here.

I graduated college in May of 2009 and it has been nothing but a complete shitshow of dodging M&As,
job hopping every 2 years (often with a change of states too) to beat 2-3% "Excellent Performance" raises while watching plenty of Boomers squat in their jobs hoarding/siloing critical information to keep their jobs (not that you can blame them).

I even worked for one company that offered a conventional pension plan vested at 5 years only to see that get trashed after they merged with a competitor after busting my ass for 2 years hoping to buy in to that American Dream. LIES!

Now I work from the sidelines and watch my customers lose all their institutional/tribal knowledge as the Boomers check out. It's a different type of shitshow, but for those who can adapt, there is far more opportunity than during the 2009-2014 period.

I've watched some junior engineers skip out on their 3rd company in 2 years for better pay. Stuff like that would have gotten you black listed previously, but Gen Z doesn't give a fuck and is saying Pay Me.

This is the way
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There's also the housing element. If you have a 2-3% 30 yr fixed Mortgage, you're not pulling up roots unless you're talking a 50% raise to offset the new mortgage rates.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shit pay is a major problem in FL public sector and private sector. Housing is ungodly affordable. Heck, I remember when State Troopers made less than $35k and couldn't afford rent in South Florida and this was long before the 2008 crash. The solution was FHP had a single wide on school lots and Troopers would live there. Why? It was a deterrent to thieves to burglarize the school.

When a bartender or waiter in South Beach has to live all the way out in Hialeah, drive all the way to the beach, and pay all those tolls, pay for parking, pay for gas, etc... it isn't economical.

Amazes me how so many people will stay in a region where that goes on, when they could pull up roots, go do the same job somewhere else, and make actual decent wages.  Comfort in your surroundings goes a long way I guess.
It isn't comfort. It takes money to move and then you have family situations. Caring for elderly parents, divorced couples with kids, etc... should a Father abandon his kid and moved across the country for a better job? All while the crazy ex has custody?

Edit to add, so, where exactly do you live? You aren't stating it, where is the land of milk and honey?

There's also the housing element. If you have a 2-3% 30 yr fixed Mortgage, you're not pulling up roots unless you're talking a 50% raise to offset the new mortgage rates.

I have been preaching about the crazy opportunities available right now if you are willing and able to move. It’s a perfect storm.

50% raises are only a piece of what they are offering for the right candidate.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 11:27:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I worked with a guy that made $14/hr as a forklift driver/sales in 1982 and he told me the same job today in OKC pays $9/hr.

So there.

There's your fucking problem.
View Quote

Cool. so that is like ~$4/hr in 1982 dollars.

Guess he should have looked his boos firmly in the eye and hd a good handshake. rofl
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The baby boom generation was big enough to both provide workers for our massive retail-centric world AND have its share of free spirits, criminals, and losers.  

Now, we still need lots of lower wage workers but have less ability to absorb each loss of a productive worker.

View Quote

There are more millennials than boomers. The youngest millennials are approaching 30-years old.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

There are more millennials than boomers. The youngest millennials are approaching 30-years old.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know Millennials that are retiring.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 11:51:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

$50k in NW Arkansas would not be great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I made $50,000 a year in 2005 when I dropped out of college to work that job.

I have a girl that drives a forklift that will make $54,000 this year. She works 7a-4p.

Wow, that’s shitty.. I couldn’t live on 50k a year.   I have a teenager that makes 42k at fast food.

Really? you live on the West coast where everything is super expensive.  Go move where he is.  You will take a HUGE cut.  54k over there is pretty middle class.  Your teen would be happy to pull $15/hr there.  I have a feeling you know these things but are just rubbing it in faces.

$50k in NW Arkansas would not be great.

This.  A car costs what it costs...its not magic based on where you are.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2023 11:52:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
LOL.... "free handouts" is older than America itself. Our entire western expansion was built off free handouts in the form of homesteading. Folks got free land from the government so they can farm it and the government can profit off it.
View Quote

"Free handout".  You had to farm/ranch that land, and build a home on it.  Make it productive agricultural land within 5 years, before you got to keep it.  There were no hardware stores, or implement dealers back then.  It was back breaking, unforgiving, and brutal work for most people.  It wasn't free.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 11:54:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

"Free handout".  You had to farm/ranch that land, and build a home on it.  Make it productive agricultural land within 5 years, before you got to keep it.  There were no hardware stores, or implement dealers back then.  It was back breaking, unforgiving, and brutal work for most people.  It wasn't free.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And yet, many didn't.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 12:05:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
And yet, many didn't.
View Quote

?
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Some jobs don't pay a living wage for what you have to have to do, know, or put up with. Makes them unattractive if there is something else out there that pays the same.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I can give you a valid answer, for a good portion of those workers, from personal experience:

My wife is a teacher.   Taught public schools in a few different states, but it got so difficult that she started teaching private schools.  That was OK for years, until that also got so unpleasant, that she finally took my advice and just quit.  

First, you have to understand that my wife is the Ideal teacher.  She really cares about teaching, and she believes in standards.  It’s impossible for her to just adopt the “union teacher mindset” of “go along and get along” no matter how many times I told her.  

She was getting paid only $1200 take home every 2 weeks.   Basically, $100 per day.      Now, $100 per day, is what illegal immigrant laborers got paid, back in the mid ‘80’s.        It’s not even close to a reasonable salary for a degreed professional that has to deal with children.
This is in an area, where the cheapest small 3/2 fixer upper house costs $600,000 to start.    BTW- there’s no pension.  Even in public schools.  

So, all you can do, is vote with your feet.      The money she was getting paid was nominal.  It wasn’t an incentive of any kind.    We are fortunate that I can make up her salary by picking up a couple extra days.  But even if I couldn’t, she’d be better off on Welfare, than working that job.
Things that made the job miserable:   Kids with serious behavioral problems who shouldn’t be mainstreamed.   Autistic kids/violent kids/kids with no self control or even bodily control.
Kids that are undisciplined and have never been told “no”.  
Parents that refuse to hold their children accountable for anything.
Terrible boss/management.  
Parents that take no responsibility.  
Political correctness/wokeness.

The same problems would be facing Anyone dealing with the public.
Cops, etc, even Retail sales.      For very little pay.      Being on Welfare, is literally the smartest, most practical choice.
View Quote

40k for a tenured teacher and no pension, that sounds really suspect.   Might have to throw a flag on that Chief .
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I live in a low-income neighborhood in my town in Texas and it takes a minimum of $35k to cover the average annual COL for my house rental (this includes the average cost of utilities, fuel and groceries). That goes up with bill increases and standard of living increases.
View Quote

Right, and that’s $35,000 of take-home money. So that means even in your area $50,000 is basically just enough to scrape by.  $50,000 is pretty much an entry-level wage for most people these days.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

?
View Quote
Many who got homesteads didn't do the required work, scammed the government etc...
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

40k for a tenured teacher and no pension, that sounds really suspect.   Might have to throw a flag on that Chief .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can give you a valid answer, for a good portion of those workers, from personal experience:

My wife is a teacher.   Taught public schools in a few different states, but it got so difficult that she started teaching private schools.  That was OK for years, until that also got so unpleasant, that she finally took my advice and just quit.  

First, you have to understand that my wife is the Ideal teacher.  She really cares about teaching, and she believes in standards.  It's impossible for her to just adopt the "union teacher mindset" of "go along and get along" no matter how many times I told her.  

She was getting paid only $1200 take home every 2 weeks.   Basically, $100 per day.      Now, $100 per day, is what illegal immigrant laborers got paid, back in the mid '80's.        It's not even close to a reasonable salary for a degreed professional that has to deal with children.
This is in an area, where the cheapest small 3/2 fixer upper house costs $600,000 to start.    BTW- there's no pension.  Even in public schools.  

So, all you can do, is vote with your feet.      The money she was getting paid was nominal.  It wasn't an incentive of any kind.    We are fortunate that I can make up her salary by picking up a couple extra days.  But even if I couldn't, she'd be better off on Welfare, than working that job.
Things that made the job miserable:   Kids with serious behavioral problems who shouldn't be mainstreamed.   Autistic kids/violent kids/kids with no self control or even bodily control.
Kids that are undisciplined and have never been told "no".  

Cops, etc, even Retail sales.      For very little pay.      Being on Welfare, is literally the smartest, most practical choice.

FL teachers make under $50k right now. Earning a teaching certification in Florida requires candidates to earn at least a bachelor's degree and complete a state-approved educator preparation program.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 12:43:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Listening last night to a police officer in a large community and she said they are short staffed. Are people sitting home? Do we have more jobs post covid and not enough workers?

Help me understand.
View Quote

There are enough workers to do productive jobs that pay well but there's a shortage of employers willing to pay for people to stand around and pretend to work.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
FL teachers make under $50k right now. Earning a teaching certification in Florida requires candidates to earn at least a bachelor's degree and complete a state-approved educator preparation program.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

First, you have to understand that my wife is the Ideal teacher.  She really cares about teaching, and she believes in standards.  It's impossible for her to just adopt the "union teacher mindset" of "go along and get along" no matter how many times I told her.  

She was getting paid only $1200 take home every 2 weeks.   Basically, $100 per day.      Now, $100 per day, is what illegal immigrant laborers got paid, back in the mid '80's.        It's not even close to a reasonable salary for a degreed professional that has to deal with children.
This is in an area, where the cheapest small 3/2 fixer upper house costs $600,000 to start.    BTW- there's no pension.  Even in public schools.  

So, all you can do, is vote with your feet.      The money she was getting paid was nominal.  It wasn't an incentive of any kind.    We are fortunate that I can make up her salary by picking up a couple extra days.  But even if I couldn't, she'd be better off on Welfare, than working that job.
Things that made the job miserable:   Kids with serious behavioral problems who shouldn't be mainstreamed.   Autistic kids/violent kids/kids with no self control or even bodily control.
Kids that are undisciplined and have never been told "no".  

I pay $50k/year for daycare for 3 kids. Nothing fancy, just average around here.

So if that teacher is getting paid $50k/year before taxes, she can't work and have kids unless her husband stays at home to raise them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The Baby Boomers profited off the best economic situation ever. Massive amounts of government spending to improve and establish infrastructure along with huge injections of capital into social services. Plus, every economic rival was utterly devastated by WWII. Their younger working years were great due to entire industry springing up from the ground. The military-industrial complex that Eisenhower warned about? Yeah, that created cheap housing since all those companies needed workers since it couldn't be done yet by machines or computers. Those Boomers then purchased those cheap homes and once those neighbors became established, their equity rose. So did their positions in the jobs they worked, which insulated them from the automation and offshoring of lower end jobs.

Additionally, once our economic rivals game back into force. Boomers for the most part we're the ones establishing trade relationships with them, because they were the ones running tthings. Gen X'ers first felt the sting as did late born Boomers when jobs were cut due to the start of automation, offshoring, or consolidation. Hence why Gen X'ers fought in the 1999 Seattle WTO protests for example. Gen Y'ers and eaely born Millennials really felt it with the the economic downturn of 9/11, the 2008 Housing Crash, the Great Recession, and the COVID crash.

Working aged Gen Y'ers and Millennials entire adult life has been economic collapse after economic collapse.

Late born Millennials and Gen Z'ers seeing this, said fuck it and are living completely different lifestyles. Housing is ungodly affordable and traditional employment is horrible underpaying, plus with rapid inflation. They've decided to have a different outlook on life. Consumer Materialism built of credit as embraced by previous generations isn't their goal. It is experiencing and enjoying life by traveling and doing things, instead of sitting in a job for 20-40 years for a shitty 401k and then experiencing life in retirement. They're just doing it now and embracing the current economic situation to work towards their advantage. The gig economy, digital remote work, etc....

If a 22 year old female Gen Z'er can make more money by milking simps of their money by doing some streams in which they flash their butthole (something Gen X'ers and Gen Y'ers did for free in college parties and on spring break anyways). And it pays more in a month than waiting tables at Denny's pays in six months or a year. More power to 'em. Same goes for the guy who streams himself playing a video game and he makes bank.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Baby Boomers profited off the best economic situation ever. Massive amounts of government spending to improve and establish infrastructure along with huge injections of capital into social services. Plus, every economic rival was utterly devastated by WWII. Their younger working years were great due to entire industry springing up from the ground. The military-industrial complex that Eisenhower warned about? Yeah, that created cheap housing since all those companies needed workers since it couldn't be done yet by machines or computers. Those Boomers then purchased those cheap homes and once those neighbors became established, their equity rose. So did their positions in the jobs they worked, which insulated them from the automation and offshoring of lower end jobs.

Additionally, once our economic rivals game back into force. Boomers for the most part we're the ones establishing trade relationships with them, because they were the ones running tthings. Gen X'ers first felt the sting as did late born Boomers when jobs were cut due to the start of automation, offshoring, or consolidation. Hence why Gen X'ers fought in the 1999 Seattle WTO protests for example. Gen Y'ers and eaely born Millennials really felt it with the the economic downturn of 9/11, the 2008 Housing Crash, the Great Recession, and the COVID crash.

Late born Millennials and Gen Z'ers seeing this, said fuck it and are living completely different lifestyles. Housing is ungodly affordable and traditional employment is horrible underpaying, plus with rapid inflation. They've decided to have a different outlook on life. Consumer Materialism built of credit as embraced by previous generations isn't their goal. It is experiencing and enjoying life by traveling and doing things, instead of sitting in a job for 20-40 years for a shitty 401k and then experiencing life in retirement. They're just doing it now and embracing the current economic situation to work towards their advantage. The gig economy, digital remote work, etc....

If a 22 year old female Gen Z'er can make more money by milking simps of their money by doing some streams in which they flash their butthole (something Gen X'ers and Gen Y'ers did for free in college parties and on spring break anyways). And it pays more in a month than waiting tables at Denny's pays in six months or a year. More power to 'em. Same goes for the guy who streams himself playing a video game and he makes bank.

Pretty solid. Only point I would add is the Dot-com Bubble (unless you're counting that as part of the 9/11 downturn, but it really should be separate).
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 1:56:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Around here starting salary for a cop or teacher is about 50k
I have done both of those jobs in the past; cop for a couple years in early 90's and a teacher for 19 years.
A cop now with all the bullshit? No thanks.
Anybody that has never worked in public schools as a teacher has no clue how hard it can be; use to 50% of teachers quit to do something different in the first five years.
Its not worth it, those jobs should pay way more than what they do; that is why there is a shortage of people who want to do them.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Amazes me how so many people will stay in a region where that goes on, when they could pull up roots, go do the same job somewhere else, and make actual decent wages.  Comfort in your surroundings goes a long way I guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shit pay is a major problem in FL public sector and private sector. Housing is ungodly affordable. Heck, I remember when State Troopers made less than $35k and couldn't afford rent in South Florida and this was long before the 2008 crash. The solution was FHP had a single wide on school lots and Troopers would live there. Why? It was a deterrent to thieves to burglarize the school.

When a bartender or waiter in South Beach has to live all the way out in Hialeah, drive all the way to the beach, and pay all those tolls, pay for parking, pay for gas, etc... it isn't economical.

I wish someone from Portland, Seattle, or maybe LA would chime in.

I've spent a fair bit of time in Portland, and the cost of living is insane. My impression is that many houses are occupied by groups of people because no one can afford it by themselves. I have well-off family there who own a tiny house, on an insignificant lot, that isn't "prime real estate," that cost almost a million dollars.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 2:35:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I drove by a small town weed shop in the UP MI.  There were 20+ people standing in line outside on the handicap ramp IN THE RAIN waiting to buy.  I consider myself libertarian leaning, but good God no wonder there's no one working.
View Quote

I saw the same in a small town in MA. half dozen or so in line at 6:30am for a shop that opens at 7am
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 2:44:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Wanted a cheesesteak from a "name" joint at PHL yesterday. Thye had 6 people working and if they got 1 order out every 5 minutes they were lucky.
I think they hired people from Kensington. They were all moving in slow motion like the Meth heads do on the street down there. The line of customers moved so slow, people were bailing, as they didn't have time to wait.
Nothing like the main locations in S Philly, where they were slinging sandwiches as fast as they could sell them. That was a long time ago. Maybe has changed now.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 2:49:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Pretty solid. Only point I would add is the Dot-com Bubble (unless you're counting that as part of the 9/11 downturn, but it really should be separate).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was, but yeah, the dot-com burst and 9/11 downturn were two separate events that just happened to bookend.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 3:05:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Maybe 10-20 years from now studies will show that COVID infections have changed people mentally, I work in the public sector and employees and the public are not the same. Something did happen, it’s not just long COVID or depression that some suffer from.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 3:14:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Delivery drivers for Uber and grub hub. I’m convinced that all working age young men have resorted to this so the don’t have any schedule or responsibilities.
View Quote

I am 31, and quite a few folks in my age group and a few years older than me are… basically I can’t think of what to call it besides “failure to thrive”.

They’ll get an apartment with a relative, friend, or girlfriend. They’ll either have a couple junker cars that are broken down half the time and whoever’s works or can borrow one from a parent does the driving. If one of them is an Uber driver with a halfway decent vehicle, they become the group driver. They work dead end jobs that have no responsibilities. Most smoke plenty of weed. Savings amounts to a couple hundred bucks if they’ve been responsible lately- but often they accidentally spend the phone bill money on weed or something.

They bounce from job to job, never developing any real knowledge or skills in the process.

It’s common, and it’s sad.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 3:35:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Delivery drivers for Uber and grub hub. I’m convinced that all working age young men have resorted to this so the don’t have any schedule or responsibilities.
View Quote

I know multiple people that have been laid off/fired/burned out from a $100k+ year job, and they started driving for Uber/Lyft while looking for their next job, and ended up staying with it for at least 2 years now.

It's a combination of the soul crushing corporate environment today, the glass ceiling for white dudes, and the constant threat of layoffs.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I am 31, and quite a few folks in my age group and a few years older than me are  basically I can't think of what to call it besides "failure to thrive".

They'll get an apartment with a relative, friend, or girlfriend. They'll either have a couple junker cars that are broken down half the time and whoever's works or can borrow one from a parent does the driving. If one of them is an Uber driver with a halfway decent vehicle, they become the group driver. They work dead end jobs that have no responsibilities. Most smoke plenty of weed. Savings amounts to a couple hundred bucks if they've been responsible lately- but often they accidentally spend the phone bill money on weed or something.

They bounce from job to job, never developing any real knowledge or skills in the process.

It's common, and it's sad.
View Quote
That existed in the past too. They were just called alcoholics and worked dead-end jobs as gas station clerks and such. Living out of a ratty single-wide, and jumping in and out of county lock-up.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 3:49:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I got an email from my storage unit inviting me to apply for a list of positions. Where the fuck are people getting enough money to be so fucking fat?
View Quote

Your taxes.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 3:53:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
There use to be limits on un-employment benefits.

Cut this off, cut off the free medical, cut off SNAP (food stamps), they will go to work
View Quote

While we are at it cut off the international welfare and all of a sudden our taxes can go down.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 10:33:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I wish someone from Portland, Seattle, or maybe LA would chime in.

I've spent a fair bit of time in Portland, and the cost of living is insane. My impression is that many houses are occupied by groups of people because no one can afford it by themselves. I have well-off family there who own a tiny house, on an insignificant lot, that isn't "prime real estate," that cost almost a million dollars.
View Quote

What do you want to know about the Portland Metro? I've worked in a close in suburb for the past 17 years.  Lived in the "city" of Portland from 2006-2010. Average price of a home is 524K down 6.5% from a year ago.

Like any large city there are better and worse areas. Currently high earners are fleeing to suburbs outside of Multnomah county due to deteriorating living conditions in the city and rising taxes.

Yes having a bunch of unrelated people living in a single house is common. I lived in  a 3000sq/ft 5 bedroom house. Every bedroom was rented. There was a total of 8 adults living there 3 couples and 2 single dudes. All in our 20s at the time.

Wouldn't want to do it now but I was able to save a down payment for a home by renting a room rather than an apartment.

Currently a 1 bedroom is 13-1600 a month.

Fast food pays $18-$21/hr better jobs $25-30.

An RN would be $50-70/hr.

Weed is as low as $3 for a pre rolled joint.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

It seems very, very hard to take-
For those boomers that came of age in the 60s,
And struggled-
Just how much they sucked at life.

And almost as hard to take, for those that crushed it like a boss-
How much they would NOT have been able to pull off under the current economic situation.

Boomers got a shot at the NBA when the average player was 6’4” and the rim was at 9ft tall and the three point line was 18.7 feet.  

And it absolutely burns them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 10:38:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It isn't comfort. It takes money to move and then you have family situations. Caring for elderly parents, divorced couples with kids, etc... should a Father abandon his kid and moved across the country for a better job? All while the crazy ex has custody?

Edit to add, so, where exactly do you live? You aren't stating it, where is the land of milk and honey?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It absolutely amazes me how many geniuses think moving to an area with twice the cost of living for half again the pay and zero friends or family network is a good idea.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 10:59:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It absolutely amazes me how many geniuses think moving to an area with twice the cost of living for half again the pay and zero friends or family network is a good idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The biggest professionally limiting factor is the fear of moving.

Due to interest rates locking people in homes and the general reluctance to leave comfort zones, the amount of folks able and willing to move is at a 40 year low.

With those conditions, you can name your price.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 1:59:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Maybe 10-20 years from now studies will show that COVID infections have changed people mentally, I work in the public sector and employees and the public are not the same. Something did happen, it’s not just long COVID or depression that some suffer from.
View Quote

@p-joseph

I wonder what did happen other than long Covid or depression.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 2:03:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
State of Florida accordioned 15 year veteran teacher pay all the way down to 0-year newbies last year.

My district has 500 openings, offering the baseline $47,500, and there are ZERO applicants.

Why the fuck you would suppress pay when you're at an all time high vacancy problem is beyond retarded and DeSantis won't fix it.

I don't know of a school with less than 50% turnover rate year-to-year the last four years. I don't even bother learning my co-workers' names.

Remember when DeSantis wanted veterans in the classroom? The first year, all 6 statewide quit. Last year, 38 of 38 statewide quit. This year, looks like none of the 65 are staying either.
View Quote

@N1Rampage

Masters required to teach elm school?
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 2:08:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The biggest professionally limiting factor is the fear of moving.

Due to interest rates locking people in homes and the general reluctance to leave comfort zones, the amount of folks able and willing to move is at a 40 year low.

With those conditions, you can name your price.
View Quote

In what field? Will they pay me relocation?
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 2:11:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My guess is that they have given up on life.

Many people are coming to the conclusion that modern corporatist western civilization just isn't worth the effort to keep it afloat. So they are finding lots of nice little holes to crawl into where they can wait for the end to come.

These trends have been in place since the 2008 financial crisis. Covidiocy accelerated them to a phenomenal degree.
View Quote

I believe this to be true as well.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 2:17:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Housing is tough on those kind of wages in St George UT. Teaching and cop work here would be a snap though.

View Quote

How so?
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 2:41:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The labor participation rate has dropped because some states are paying people more than $100,000 a year to not work and plenty pay more than $80,000.

You want to go look for a job and work or just sit at home and make $40-$50 an hour?

Source.
View Quote

Lol. Not a real thing.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 3:48:04 AM EDT
[#44]
I doubt the $100k deal. But I do know that states and feds will pay enough to live on when you have a dozen people living together and some having sometimes part time jobs. I wouldn't live like that but apparently to a number of people it beats the alternative of actually working.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 4:45:16 AM EDT
[#45]
I took a chainsaw to my guy's shop today.  Even HE can't get any help!   While it really peaked with the government bullshit paying people to NOT work, it seems like that shit must be over by now.
With the Baby Boomers retiring, the workforce has shrunk, while demand for those services remains high.
The growth of the FSA and the vast array of handouts has also added to it.
Free breakfast and lunch 365/yr for all kids, more foodbanks than you can imagine, vuge growth in EBT, lack of any acccountability; those are the tip of the iceberg.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 5:06:07 AM EDT
[#46]
dbmers said -  Lucid laid off 1800 workers last year in this area. Not much else around here except prisons
View Quote
Lucid jacked themselves in CG by overbuilding a huge factory in a town that didn't have the housing to support it, then selling massively overpriced electric vehicles that nobody wants. I pass by those parking lots when I head to the range, and they are full of dusty new unsold cars.
However, yes, the prisons are hiring, giving $5,000 to $8,000 hiring bonuses right now, starting pay at ADCRR is $45,621 - $54,975, higher pay with experience. The biggest loss was the 20, then 25 year retirement - now we offer 401(a)...not (k), (a). We are ALWAYS hiring and really need staff, even with good health care and other bennies. https://corrections.az.gov/correctional-officer-careers

victorgonzales said - My 17 year old doesn't do much outside other than going fishing or hunting with me. All her socialization is online. It's weird to me but it is what it is.  She doesn't need money.
View Quote
Ditto - my kid needs money for nothing, doesn't even really know what to do with it when he has some. Doesn't even waste it on drugs or booze! Everything he needs or wants is online.
My wife has her retirement already, and went back to work even while doing her cancer treatments because she HATES being unemployed/staying at home. 5 more years and I am retired, and then we will figure next steps.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 5:36:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

How so?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Housing is tough on those kind of wages in St George UT. Teaching and cop work here would be a snap though.

How so?

I believe he is hunting at its history of being like 98.7% White.
It has probably shifted to 87% White, 10% Hispanic,
-but around 0.87% Black.

Essentially all references to low crime, easy policing, good schools, teachers loving their class, etc. Revolve around this.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 5:53:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
State of Florida accordioned 15 year veteran teacher pay all the way down to 0-year newbies last year.

My district has 500 openings, offering the baseline $47,500, and there are ZERO applicants.

Why the fuck you would suppress pay when you're at an all time high vacancy problem is beyond retarded and DeSantis won't fix it.

I don't know of a school with less than 50% turnover rate year-to-year the last four years. I don't even bother learning my co-workers' names.

Remember when DeSantis wanted veterans in the classroom? The first year, all 6 statewide quit. Last year, 38 of 38 statewide quit. This year, looks like none of the 65 are staying either.
View Quote

It’s pretty hard to rent anything in Tampa on $47,500. You’re looking at, at least $1100 to rent a 700sqf studio in the worst part of town. By the time taxes and health insurance come out you aren’t making much. Even if you lived on a diet of canned tuna and spam you probably wouldn’t have enough left to use the public transit system after rent and taxes.

There too many unconventional ways to make money these days for people to be a drone that lives to work a low paying job.

Link Posted: 9/26/2023 7:34:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I made $50,000 a year in 2005 when I dropped out of college to work that job.

I have a girl that drives a forklift that will make $54,000 this year. She works 7a-4p.
View Quote

Hate to break it to you but that 50k in 2005 is about 80k in bidenbuxxx.

Your forklift driver is making $35k in 2005 money.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 8:06:38 AM EDT
[#50]
In this thread I learned the only thing that should never adjust upward for inflation is the minimum wage.  

The political right has ladder pullers, too.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top