Link Posted: 2/18/2023 9:32:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm glad for her.

Good for her and go girl!

Fuck the arfcom basement dwellers
View Quote

My guy. You understand these women are actresses likely paid for this photo op to make Merrill seem like they care about fatties using their gear to hike???
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Bear Tracks by FredMan, on Flickr

Pig Nap By The Road by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 9:57:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I often ask myself, how do people get this fat? You say you're a hiker, so they must just consume an amazing amount of calories. I've maintained the same weight since college and I'm 47, and I eat healthy mostly but have my share of pizza, fast food and other garbage. Sometimes I really overdo it, but I'll just back off a little the next day or watch myself for a few days.

I can only assume these fatties just stuff their fat faces all day everyday?
View Quote

You’re not going to lose weight hiking unless you’re out there every day putting on the miles and cutting back on the calories.

A half mile once a week on the greenway trail, on your way to Dunkin Donuts, ain’t gonna do a goddam thing.

I’ll regularly get in 2-3 miles a day cruising timber in the woods, no trails, bushwhacking. I’m not fat, but I’ve got an extra 10 pounds around the middle it wouldn’t kill me to lose.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm glad for her.

Good for her and go girl!

Fuck the arfcom basement dwellers
View Quote

Do they graze with your friend in your avatar?
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 10:36:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Stomping holes in the trail

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/18/2023 10:40:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What better way to really stress test new design shoes.
Accelerated stress or fatigue testing.   Not many miles, but the increased loads per cycle cheaper and quicker than having someone through hike the appallachian trail with a new model shoe
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/18/2023 10:43:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't give a shit. I'm still wearing Merrells.
View Quote
Yup. The vented Moab mid boot is awesome. They feel like they were made for my feet right out of the box which is extremely rare for me.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:04:43 PM EDT
[#10]
It's one of the fastest growing markets in the US.

I see lots of fat people out on the trail, and honestly, I'm often impressed by their determination and physical ability.  

I hiked into Sky Pond RMNP in 2021 and hiked along side a couple from Texas for the final stretch, a couple that would not be well characterized as svelte.   They had arrived in Denver the day before, and did great on the trail.  I grabbed the wife's pack for some of the wet rock steps in the upper stretches, and objectively tricky section for the unitiated, but aside from that, and even with that, they impressed me.  Not having bivi permits, they had to hoof it on out of there as the sun was setting, but I'm sure they were fine on the way out.  A great couple.

Individual merits and anecdotes aside, if you are sized as "Asian Fit," guess what, your time is over.  You're done.  You are a decreasingly marketable demographic in this country.

It's just numbers.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:13:49 PM EDT
[#11]
As long as you don't hike with fucking music playing and don't throw your garbage on the ground its fine by me.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:33:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Around here, hikers that overweight are the ones starting out in the sport.  Maybe it's not the same back east or in the south.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:38:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ll Bean's instagram has a bunch of fat chicks, fat black chicks, etc plus mixed race gay etc. but their Japan instagram feed is all white or Asian heterosexuals who are fit and have golden retrievers, like regular Bean was 20 years ago
View Quote

Asians don’t like fat gays
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:47:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I see lots of fat people out on the trail, and honestly, I'm often impressed by their determination and physical ability.  

I hiked into Sky Pond RMNP in 2021 and hiked along side a couple from Texas for the final stretch, a couple that would not be well characterized as svelte.   They had arrived in Denver the day before, and did great on the trail.  I grabbed the wife's pack for some of the wet rock steps in the upper stretches, and objectively tricky section for the unitiated, but aside from that, and even with that, they impressed me.  Not having bivi permits, they had to hoof it on out of there as the sun was setting, but I'm sure they were fine on the way out.  A great couple.

Individual merits and anecdotes aside, if you are sized as "Asian Fit," guess what, your time is over.  You're done.  You are a decreasingly marketable demographic in this country.

It's just numbers.
View Quote

I said the exact same thing earlier in the thread. It's all about marketing and capitalism. Skinny people are already going to buy the clothes. They need to convince a segment of the population that normally does not buy their clothes to do it. Pretty much saying "See, even overweight people can buy our clothes. Please do it and make us more money."

Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:49:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't give a shit. I'm still wearing Merrells.
View Quote

Yep.  MOAB 2's here.  I have 5 pairs of them.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:53:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is the state of modern advertising. They aren't selling stuff so much as they are changing people's attitudes and thinking about everything. Race, sex, gender, fatness, skinnyness, etc.
Welcome to the new world
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
This is the state of modern advertising. They aren't selling stuff so much as they are changing people's attitudes and thinking about everything. Race, sex, gender, fatness, skinnyness, etc.
Welcome to the new world

Just advertising the companies I need to avoid buying from in my mind.

Quoted:
There’s usually fat lesbians and their dogs on every hiking trail I’ve been on.

I’d think they’d lose weight but who knows.

Yeah, but you caught them on the return trip - they left with two dogs.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 12:02:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I often ask myself, how do people get this fat? You say you're a hiker, so they must just consume an amazing amount of calories. I've maintained the same weight since college and I'm 47, and I eat healthy mostly but have my share of pizza, fast food and other garbage. Sometimes I really overdo it, but I'll just back off a little the next day or watch myself for a few days.

I can only assume these fatties just stuff their fat faces all day everyday?
View Quote
No clue, I am over 6' tall and 170lbs. At over 50 I still wear 32-33" waist pants.

Some people it's injuries/genetics, others it's being lazy or eating garbage 24/7.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 12:05:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
At least they are getting out there, can't knock them for that.
View Quote
Yes I can

Those pics even made my eyes vomit.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 12:06:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Their shoes are shit anymore so IDGAF. @dman16
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 12:06:49 AM EDT
[#20]
The most dangerous place to be caught standing is between those three heifers and the front of the buffet line at Pizza Hut. . .

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 12:39:58 AM EDT
[#21]
It’s a hike to the ice cream aisle at the Walmart yo!!
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:16:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
"Now bein’ fat is beautiful, name a thing that you can’t do?
Jumpin’ jacks, run a mile, live past 42"

People so stupid
View Quote

Those song lyrics were the literal truth: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_Paus%C3%A9
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:30:54 AM EDT
[#23]
JHC - more woke shit - they have to use fatbody models now to signal their virtue.   And don't forget the fucking Ronald McDonald orange hair!
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:31:57 AM EDT
[#24]
I’m not going to read five pages, so maybe repeating the obvious.

But 2/3 of Americans are overweight.  So if you want to sell shit, which companies do, it makes sense to cater to fatties.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:38:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Is the guy in the middle pic mentally disabled?
View Quote
quite possibly physically or mentally - more wokeness.    Gotta be INCLUSIVE, ya know
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:39:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Whatever happened to the user with the user name Merrell?  I think he was a fellow Pennsyltuckian.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:44:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Those are day hiking tourists, not actual hikers. There's a difference
Around here in the summer the day hiking tourists usually clog up the state parks and come equipped with an annoying NYC accent
They carry nothing in the way of supplies on their hike except occasionally a single 20 ounce water bottle
I've never seen anyone resembling those land whales on any of the hundreds of miles of single track hiking trails in my area
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:09:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Welcome to the new world
View Quote

Not even that, it's purely a drive for revenue.

The majority of people are fat, and they are appealing to the current potential customer base.

Young and dumb people think they are making a difference and that companies are "joining their side," but they are merely useful idiots buying into a narrative sold to them purely for the revenue.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:24:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Jesus fucking christ.

"My body took me here"

Her shirt should have a fucking coffin on it.

If you're so fat that your ankles bend outwards at 20°, you're not fucking hiking anywhere. Period.

out of

ETA I'd go hiking with them in bear and cat country. At least you know without a fucking doubt that you're not the one getting eaten
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:31:16 PM EDT
[#31]
I want to see the wilderness outside my window every day when im home.  

Walking around in it without a purpose has never been fun to me.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Search and rescue will need to trade in their Huey's for Chinooks for medevac rescues.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Search and rescue will need to trade in their Huey's for Chinooks for medevac rescues.  
View Quote

You know that when their ankle snaps like a truss made of toothpicks, the SAR boys won't have to go too far in

Also if they show up with this Attachment Attached File

Their gonna have a bad, bad day
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:42:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Not guilty
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 2:00:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
At least they are getting out there, can’t knock them for that.
View Quote

Thousands of single horny girls in your hometown are dying to meet you!
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Holy fuckballs, so because of your post I decided to check out the Merrell IG page. The same fatties continue there. How do you get this fat?

My new born has tons of rolls and they smell when I clean them out. Imagine the stench of crustation and nastiness in-between the rolls of the two lay-dees???

https://i.ibb.co/4Pmqcb0/Screenshot-20230218-191921-3.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ll Bean's instagram has a bunch of fat chicks, fat black chicks, etc plus mixed race gay etc. but their Japan instagram feed is all white or Asian heterosexuals who are fit and have golden retrievers, like regular Bean was 20 years ago

Holy fuckballs, so because of your post I decided to check out the Merrell IG page. The same fatties continue there. How do you get this fat?

My new born has tons of rolls and they smell when I clean them out. Imagine the stench of crustation and nastiness in-between the rolls of the two lay-dees???

and you know that all those rolls aren't getting cleaned out on the reg

Link Posted: 2/19/2023 2:33:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Those "hikes" can't be very long, maybe from the Prius to the sign explaining the historical significance of the park and back to the Prius.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 2:38:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I’m not going to read five pages, so maybe repeating the obvious.

But 2/3 of Americans are overweight.  So if you want to sell shit, which companies do, it makes sense to cater to fatties.
View Quote

It's really funny reading the comments. People act like it's some deep motive to "overturn" culture.

It's literally CEO's saying "Well shit, most of the population is fat and we want to make money off them. Lets show these types in advertising."

Like it's not some deep level thinking or nefarious plot, it's simply "What does our current population look like and how can we get them to buy our clothes. We want potential customers to see themselves in our ads because that's Advertisting 101."

Link Posted: 2/19/2023 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#39]
los monstruos gordos gigantes del sendero de la montaña!
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It's really funny reading the comments. People act like it's some deep motive to "overturn" culture.

It's literally CEO's saying "Well shit, most of the population is fat and we want to make money off them. Lets show these types in advertising."

Like it's not some deep level thinking or nefarious plot, it's simply "What does our current population look like and how can we get them to buy our clothes. We want potential customers to see themselves in our ads because that's Advertisting 101."

View Quote

Disagree.

Americans have been fat for a long long long long time. These companies never advertised to the fatties before recently. This has nothing to do with catering to a specific clientele and everything to do with companies trying to appeal to the masses by seeming inclusive.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 4:40:26 PM EDT
[#41]
life, uh, finds a way.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The irony is the same people that run these Companies are all about less people making less impact on their dear mother earth.

Almost like they will sell you the gear for your day hike to a internment camp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Welcome to the new world

The irony is the same people that run these Companies are all about less people making less impact on their dear mother earth.

Almost like they will sell you the gear for your day hike to a internment camp.

Each of those footsteps is making ~4x normal impact on poor mother earth

*** I can only imagine the ecological impact of producing the quantities of food they consume compared to a non-landwhale female.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Disagree.

Americans have been fat for a long long long long time. These companies never advertised to the fatties before recently. This has nothing to do with catering to a specific clientele and everything to do with companies trying to appeal to the masses by seeming inclusive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disagree.

Yup. Up until recently fit people have been used in advertising to imply the product is related to being fit. Now it is intentional social engineering. I don’t know how anybody denies it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 5:05:34 PM EDT
[#44]

This gal doesn't 'hike'. She's got a runner's ass. Yummy
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

New product;
Lumi on a stick. For ladies who don't have a prayer of reaching their stinky bits with bare hands.

Link Posted: 2/19/2023 5:12:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've seen fat people hike.  For like 200 yards, and then they usually turn back and drive off.

It's not a hobby that supports people being fat, and I in no way believe that one girl has been doing any meaningful hiking for 10 years.
View Quote

They definitely aren't hiking ANY kind of steep or rough terrain. Their ankles would be done from any misstep.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 5:24:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It's just numbers.
View Quote

Don't know if that was intentional, but I laughed.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If they get out of doors and respect everything, awesome.
View Quote

Yeah, at least they’re out moving.
Do it enough and you’re not far anymore.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The majority of people are fat, and they are appealing to the current potential customer base.

Young and dumb people think they are making a difference and that companies are "joining their side," but they are merely useful idiots buying into a narrative sold to them purely for the revenue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Welcome to the new world

Yep.

It's all about revenue, and selling their product.

No different than Subaru switching from their marketing strategy that didn't work in the 90s (who remembers the ads touting their AWD tech, and the guy wanting to race his neighbor with a BMW, in the snow?).

They finally hired ad execs who understood emotional marketing. Show ads with happy people,nliving the kind of life the potential buyers would like, and you sell more shit. "Oooh... look at those happy people doing all that outdoorsy stuff in their Subarus. We should buy a Subaru".... that never gets driven off the pavement. But they could, if they wanted to... and can fantasize about it. No different than marketing pickups to people who never haul a damned thing.

This is marketing to the 66+% of the US population who is fat, so they buy this thinking, "Yeah, if I buy these shoes, I can go hiking, and maybe get in better shape". Right. How's that Planet Fatness membership working out?
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yeah, at least they’re out moving.
Do it enough and you’re not far anymore.
View Quote

Did you miss the part where it says the fatty has been doing this for ten years? She's still fat. It takes a hell of a lot more to unfat yourself then just getting out and moving.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top